Mature Rated videos on giantbomb are discriminating....

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sammpoo

So I hate when people do not give elderly people the respect they deserve because they are just normal dudes like us, and one day we will be of an older age too. Anyway my grand pa was on giantbomb because I wanted to show him the new boarderlands vid thats been posted on the news section just recently as it has a Bill O Reilly reference which I knew he'd find funny. My grand pa is 86 and he was actually quite hurt when he saw that the age limit only goes up to 80 for M rated vids.

I felt pretty embarrassed to be a member of the GB community and apologized but I could tell that my grand pa's feelings were hurt. It's not fair that his age is not there yet ironically you can say you are 'one'? Wtf like a one year old can use a key board? So is whatever stupid tech that set up this system actually saying that a one year old can use a pc and anyone over the age of 80 can not? That is pure discrimination and I demand it is changed! I will bring this matter further if nothing is done.

Oh and just to say about my grand pa, he is in a wheel chair but he's been using pcs for over 10 years so he knows his way around. He is still a very active man and he enjoys watching me playing GTA4. The only game he's ever actually played with me is the XBLA chess game so he's not a gamer but he is in no way intellectually disabled, however the way GBs age limts are you'd swear they think your life is over past 80.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, that does seem weird. Why not just set the record to the oldest living person? That makes sense, right?

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By gearhead

No offense, to your 'Grand pa,' but this does not seem that important. Putting your exact age does not fully matter, as long as you hit some random button that is above 17.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By delta_ass

Good point. My 102 year old great-grandmother wanted to watch some videos the other day but couldn't. Please get some top men on it.

Toppest of the top men.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By OmegaPirate

it's 'problems' like this that stop real issues being solved

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

All the numbers over 18 are kind of superfluous. He understands the computer doesn't actually want his age, right? Its just lawsuit protection, because people under 18 would have to lie in order to see the content.

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By dogbox

I think this is blown way, way out of proportion. I think it's safe to say the average user on GiantBomb is below 80, and besides, I don't think an age gate has ever impacted me or anyone I know emotionally. That sucks that your grandfather was hurt, though.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Wait wait wait...your grandfather is hurt over an age gate?  Are you fucking me? 

Tell your g-pa to suck it up or GTFO!

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sammpoo

People can say this is blown out of proportion if they like, however it's the principle of the matter that counts. Why even have an option for a one year old then when I can be 99% sure that there is not a single one year old in the world who has ever intentionally opened up a web browser and typed in the name of a site that was on his/her mind to view the specific content that he/she was looking for. However, there are people out there over the age of 80 who have, and as we all age there will be more and more elderly people who are able to use technology which is unfortunately viewed as something for 'young people only'.

Plus the fact of the matter is, as I know my grand pa pretty well, he was hurt because many older people actually do type in their real details in little things like this, it's just an old fashioned thing which our generation wouldn't really understand in the world of internet bullshit

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#10  Edited By TobyD81

Obviously, Giant Bomb supports Death Panels. Their logo does look kinda Communist...

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#11  Edited By sjschmidt93

Damn. I wish my grandpa even knew how to turn a game console on, let alone play them.

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sammpoo
@jakob187:  dude if you're going to be immature about it please don't troll this topic with your useless additions. Sorry dude but I don't like you telling my grand pa to GTFU or whatever you say, please don't insult him, I'm merely asking GB to change this setting because it is something which will effect whoever of us are lucky enough to live to that age
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Scooper

I'm thinking of writing a strongly worded letter to the GiantBomb offices if this issue isn't resolved imediataly as it has hindered my great great grandmother from watching 5% of the video content on GiantBomb.

Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
This is ridiculous. You're making something out of nothing
kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By kraznor

Did you PM Dave Snider about it? Sure he'll look into it for ya.

AURON570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By AURON570

never noticed that, i usually put my age as 23 in these things. i guess it would've made more sense if it stopped at like 99, in order to avoid computing another third digit. 80 does seem pretty unusual. 

T0mF5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By T0mF5

They should just make it have 2 choices, under 18 and above 18.
sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sammpoo
@Kraznor: nope I didn't I'm not really sure who takes care of these things but I'm sure if GB is the great community friendly website it claims to be it should see this topic and give the appropiate employer the job to fix this discrimination.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#19  Edited By Icemael

Toke Jopic? I mean, it has to be... right?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By JJOR64
Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#21  Edited By Yummylee

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sammpoo
@Icemael: ummm you can go to www.gamefaqs.com  for that

I'm noticing that there are alot of people on here who do not want to contribute to topics but just want to troll and make the TC look bad

Dudes I made this topic because I want help, not to be laughed at.
Smarter_Martyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Smarter_Martyr
@Icemael:  Botta ge.
TheGamerFix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By TheGamerFix

Ye that does seem a bit weird, but I wouldn't blame them for it because their target audience is much lower than that, its great that your grandad is into all this but I don't really think it's fair to blame anyone for having an age-gate that only goes up to 80, I'm sure if you PM'd Dave Snider or someone else on the staff about this they might help.
sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By sammpoo

The persistence of negative attitudes perpetuate the myths, which is a tragedy when the majority of elderly people live at home, lead purposeful lives, and often see their contemporaries as old, but not themselves. With the aged population increasing, and the government's financial "cake" decreasing, it means that there will be less money for pensions and other assistance. The negative view of the elderly which has developed probably due to the image of youth and vitality promoted particularly by the media, must change. Old people should feel valued, be respected for their knowledge and experience, and be given opportunities to make choices. The elderly must not be seen as a decrepit, debilitated lot, draining the country's resources, but as useful, contributing members of our society.  

Alot of the dudes who posted here make me pretty sick but one day you'll realised I'm right....

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CaptainObvious

Remember him?   
Remember him?   
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#27  Edited By JJWeatherman
@sammpoo: Are you serious? I didn't know people could be offended by an age gate. You just blew my mind.   :P
sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sammpoo
@JJWeatherman: Whether someone is offended or not is not the point, the fact is that one day many of us will be over 80 and many people over 80 know how to use a PC. The way the M rated vids are set up it looks like some member of the GB staff that set up this system doesn't think this and that is discrimination, which is a very serious offense
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187
@sammpoo: No trolling.  I'm totally serious.  If your grandpa is honestly going to be so sensitive that he's going to look at the age gate of an online video and get hurt by it, then he has issues that go beyond being closer to natural death than most of us!  I'm sure your grandpa is a pretty cool dood, especially if he was wanting to see a video of Borderlands!!!  Hell, my grandpa has dementia, so it must be nice to be able to spend time with your grandpa and he actually knows who you are!!!  You're a lucky dood. 

Nonetheless, the idea that your grandfather is sore about something that honestly doesn't matter past the age of 18 is ridiculously over-the-top and blown out of proportion.  Paint it any way you want, but getting sore about an age gate not having your age is like someone calling you a faggot on Xbox Live and you decide to rage quit a session and sob into your pillow.  It's pointless! 

If it were my grandpa and he pulled that, I'd tell him to grow a set and GTFO with that unnecessary drama...to which he would probably reply "what, you suck cock?  I couldn't hear you too well" and then we would laugh and move on. 

You DO understand the point of an age gate, right?  It's not a status symbol, for Pete's sake.  It's just so you can move on to the video as a legal stipulation for the site in question.  Maybe you should explain to your grandpa that's it a superfluous thing that he doesn't need to be worried about in the first place. 

All of what I just said...I said in less sentences by saying: 

@jakob187 said:
" Wait wait wait...your grandfather is hurt over an age gate?  Are you fucking me?  Tell your g-pa to suck it up or GTFO! "
Sorry that I don't have sensitivity training under my belt and believe in brutal and upfront honesty.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MrKlorox
Hey, if they're gonna fix that, hopefully they'll add proper mouse wheel support for scrolling through the ages.

@Scooper said:

" I'm thinking of writing a strongly worded letter to the GiantBomb offices if this issue isn't resolved imediataly as it has hindered my great great grandmother from watching 5% of the video content on GiantBomb. "

Even 5% sounds like a gross over exaggeration. I remember when there was like three, total... and that wasn't too long ago.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JJWeatherman
@sammpoo said:
" @JJWeatherman: Whether someone is offended or not is not the point, the fact is that one day many of us will be over 80 and many people over 80 know how to use a PC. The way the M rated vids are set up it looks like some member of the GB staff that set up this system doesn't think this and that is discrimination, which is a very serious offense "
I just don't look at it that seriously I guess. The fact is a lot of people over 80 don't use computers too often. By the time I am over 80, if the age gates still only go to 80 then that would be a little weird considering the majority of the population would have grown up around computers. 

Why is it a problem to just select 80 if you are over? Or select 18, 40, 56, etc. Who cares as long as your old enough. (and honestly even if you aren't old enough, who cares?)
The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By The_Patriarch

Look, Sammpoo, I understand what you are saying, but is it really such a big deal? Your grandfather is as welcome here as all the youngsters around here. Im sure no one meant any harm when they entered in 80 as the highest number. 

Oh, and please dont tell people they are immature when you yourself use the word 'gay' in a derogatory manner in your comment for the spyborgs quick look. 

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By sammpoo
@JJWeatherman said:
" @sammpoo said:
" @JJWeatherman: Whether someone is offended or not is not the point, the fact is that one day many of us will be over 80 and many people over 80 know how to use a PC. The way the M rated vids are set up it looks like some member of the GB staff that set up this system doesn't think this and that is discrimination, which is a very serious offense "
I just don't look at it that seriously I guess. The fact is a lot of people over 80 don't use computers too often. By the time I am over 80, if the age gates still only go to 80 then that would be a little weird considering the majority of the population would have grown up around computers.   Why is it a problem to just select 80 if you are over? Or select 18, 40, 56, etc. Who cares as long as your old enough. (and honestly even if you aren't old enough, who cares?) "
If you aren't old enough who cares? Umm dude because a video is M rated for a reason, so that little kids whose brains are not wired to fully comprehend what's going on aren't influenced in a negative way by the vid. Talk like that could get you banned and could get giantbomb shut down. I'm pretty sure that in a recent podcast they said the stuff is there by law, and if something is in place by law you would hope it's not in a discriminating way or else the matter may be brought into further scrutinization.
kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By kraznor

Seems Dave Snider is on vacation, but he's pretty good at responding to community feedback so hopefully he' ll see it. If you want to make sure, fire off an e-mail to gb_community@giantbomb.com.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bongchilla

I don't think your grandfather was hurt because of an age gate, and if he really was than that's too bad. If he goes onto video game websites and plays XBLA than he should know that all he needs to do is pick a number above 17. There is no law to to be young enough to watch a particular piece of video content. And you should be more aware of the responses to your topic prior to making it. It is just silly. I doubt the engineers are going to take time out of their day to respect the wishes of .0001 of the giant bomb population.

sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sammpoo
@The_Patriarch: dude I was referring to the Wii so the use of that word is perfectly acceptable, especially when some troll just called Ryan Davis a 'dick', which is unacceptable

And just to clarify my grand pa is not a user of this site at all, he does not have an account nor had he ever used the site before I told him about the vid with the O Reilly reference. However he knows how to use a web browser and he can type emails and use Word and shit like that.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JJWeatherman
@sammpoo said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" @sammpoo said:
I just don't look at it that seriously I guess. The fact is a lot of people over 80 don't use computers too often. By the time I am over 80, if the age gates still only go to 80 then that would be a little weird considering the majority of the population would have grown up around computers.   Why is it a problem to just select 80 if you are over? Or select 18, 40, 56, etc. Who cares as long as your old enough. (and honestly even if you aren't old enough, who cares?) "
If you aren't old enough who cares? Umm dude because a video is M rated for a reason, so that little kids whose brains are not wired to fully comprehend what's going on aren't influenced in a negative way by the vid. Talk like that could get you banned and could get giantbomb shut down. I'm pretty sure that in a recent podcast they said the stuff is there by law, and if something is in place by law you would hope it's not in a discriminating way or else the matter may be brought into further scrutinization. "
Video age gates are actually enforced by the ESRB I believe. 

On another note, you can not be for real man. Despite what some people believe, kids are capable of distinguishing between right and wrong. At least that's what I think. Anyways, I'm gonna go play some Rock Band.
sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sammpoo
@BongChilla said:
" I don't think your grandfather was hurt because of an age gate, and if he really was than that's too bad. If he goes onto video game websites and plays XBLA than he should know that all he needs to do is pick a number above 17. There is no law to to be young enough to watch a particular piece of video content. And you should be more aware of the responses to your topic prior to making it. It is just silly. I doubt the engineers are going to take time out of their day to respect the wishes of .0001 of the giant bomb population. "
Dude he doesn't 'play' XBLA. You should read things more carefully. I said that the extent of his gaming has been a few games of XBLA chess which I set up and which he wouldn't set up on his own or want to. It was a once off thing. Again though, it seems you;re straying away from the point and nitpicking for the sake of avoiding the big issue here which is discrimination
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By RHCPfan24

Well I know this user has had a few, well, unfavorable topics lately but I will hear him out. I would support the age gate going up to ages like 100 and such but this is obviously not a big problem. Now the option for "1" is unnecessary and an older age should be able to be inputted. Just contact Dave and see what he says.

The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By The_Patriarch
@sammpoo said:
" @The_Patriarch: dude I was referring to the Wii so the use of that word is perfectly acceptable "
No. No, it's not. Not if you mean it in a derogatory way, then it doesnt matter what the hell you're referring too.
sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By sammpoo
@The_Patriarch said:

" @sammpoo said:

" @The_Patriarch: dude I was referring to the Wii so the use of that word is perfectly acceptable "
No. No, it's not. Not if you mean it in a derogatory way, then it doesnt matter what the hell you're referring too. "
Ok dude just keep that discussing out of this topic, you can PM me or reply to me in the quick look if you want to discuss that

and thanks  RHCPfan for speaking a voice of reason in a very troll friendly thread full of dudes who just want to bash someone for the sake of bashing someone. I hope this Dave dude can fix this issue because ultimately it is just unfair

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187
@sammpoo said:

"Again though, it seems you;re straying away from the point and nitpicking for the sake of avoiding the big issue here which is discrimination "

You know what?  I find it discriminatory that you called the Wii gay.  Therefore, I think it's only fair that you take a picture of yourself with a Wii and a big thumbs up in order to reduce that controversy. 

-_- 

Seriously, what you are complaining about is minutia...and pointless minutia at that.
sammpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By sammpoo
@jakob187 said:
" @sammpoo said:
"Again though, it seems you;re straying away from the point and nitpicking for the sake of avoiding the big issue here which is discrimination "
You know what?  I find it discriminatory that you called the Wii gay.  Discuss. "
again,go to the quick look or PM me if you want to discuss this. However whatever my view on the Wii is does not matter, as there is nothing in this website that directly discriminates against the Wii. Also, incase you didn't notice the Wii is not a person
The_Patriarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By The_Patriarch
@sammpoo said:
" @The_Patriarch said:

" @sammpoo said:

No. No, it's not. Not if you mean it in a derogatory way, then it doesnt matter what the hell you're referring too. "
Ok dude just keep that discussing out of this topic, you can PM me or reply to me in the quick look if you want to discuss that

and thanks  RHCPfan for speaking a voice of reason in a very troll friendly thread full of dudes who just want to bash someone for the sake of bashing someone. I hope this Dave dude can fix this issue because ultimately it is just unfair

"
Nah. I find your double standards bewildering, and considering this thread is about a person you feel was discriminated, I feel its a perfectly natural place to have this "discussion". Disliking the Wii is fine, but you shouldnt be throwing rocks when your house seems to be made of glass.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By JJWeatherman
@sammpoo said:

" @The_Patriarch said:

" @sammpoo said:

"
Just for the record, I think the majority of people in this thread (myself included) are just giving you their opinions on why they think the situation isn't a big deal. What did you want to happen in a discussion board, unanimity? Cause that sure as heck aint gonna happen. Anyways, off to my Rock Band.
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MrKlorox
@JJWeatherman said:

I don't think that's actually true. It's up to the website. The first agegated vid was a Madworld video, and GB had M rated games in videos well before that.
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By JJWeatherman
@MrKlorox said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

I don't think that's actually true. It's up to the website. The first agegated vid was a Madworld video, and GB had M rated games in videos well before that. "
I think the ESRB has a hand in it. I found these articles that talk about it more. But I didn't read them closely because I want to go play Rock Band. This site sucks me in and I can never leave it when there's discussion to be had!   :P

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/features/esrb-now-monitoring-game-trailers/70590/?biz=1
  http://kotaku.com/272148/esrb-issues-warnings-to-industry-on-violent-game-trailers
MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MrKlorox
@JJWeatherman: Indeed, this site is addicting.

Interesting. From those links it seems publishers can request an age gate when supplying videos to sites, and the ESRB was pressuring pubs to request them. Also they mention trailers, not previews/QLs or other site vids. I know I should probably read up, but I'm not sure what specific video this thread was referring to, or if it was even a trailer.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jakob187
@sammpoo said:
" @jakob187 said:
" @sammpoo said:
You know what?  I find it discriminatory that you called the Wii gay.  Discuss. "
again,go to the quick look or PM me if you want to discuss this. However whatever my view on the Wii is does not matter, as there is nothing in this website that directly discriminates against the Wii. Also, incase you didn't notice the Wii is not a person "
*ugh*  Dood, seriously?  The point I was making is that getting bent about the age gate not going past 80 is ridiculous and pointless, just like you calling the Wii gay and people being angered by that is ridiculous and pointless.  You know what's interesting about the age gate?  If I pick 18 or 80, IT'S THE SAME RESULT!!! 

That would be the EXACT reason why I used the word "minutia" as a reference to your "dilemma" in one of my posts...because this is exactly what you are arguing:  minutia.  Definition, please: 

Small or trifling matters 

In essence...you are causing an argument over something that honestly just does not matter as much as you want to make it out to be. 

I'm done with this.  I've stated my case, I've said what I needed to say.
Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By Shadow

Frankly, that's just hilarious that someone above 80 wanted to see anything about video games and was then disappointed not to see himself represented on the age gate.