Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Brighty

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521502

Detective GAF does it again.

A user on page two or so makes a valid point, I wonder if we'll start seeing more and more of these kinds of viral marketers show up more frequently on high profile gaming websites who's sole purpose is to spin and manage the "internet community" PR for said game? Or is it more widespread than people tend to think it is?

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your post lacks a description of what was found on GAF, so please add one because I don't want to go through another forum to understand what you're talking about

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Your post lacks a description of what was found on GAF, so please add one because I don't want to go through another forum to understand what you're talking about

Its a account made ONLY to post that information...Just look at the account name that made the thread on GAF.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OfficeGamer

@brighty said:

@officegamer said:

No, stop being so entitled.

You could've simply said "No" and I would've been like "OK," and I don't see what's so entitled about asking you to clarify what the fuck your thread is about. We're not supposed to keep alt-tabbing between your empty thread and the shit you're referring to on the pages of another forum. That's why there's a quote function on here.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By zoozilla

This makes me wonder what the Geico guy on Polygon has been up to.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By AndrewB

Like it or not, isn't that kind of the job of the PR department? Public relations and all. Well, I suppose being covertly instead of openly deceptive isn't necessarily the thing... but it's certainly become it.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb said:

Like it or not, isn't that kind of the job of the PR department? Public relations and all. Well, I suppose being covertly instead of openly deceptive isn't necessarily the thing... but it's certainly become it.

Making your account name "Glassbox" is not really covert...

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Cincaid

@the_laughing_man: I don't get it, is it the OP that's supposedly using viral marketing, or what? I assume so, since Gaf banned the account?

Either way, doesn't it take 2 weeks *minimum* before you're able to post on Gaf (that was my activation period, at least)? Not to mention the OP have 600+ posts prior to the ban?

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AndrewB

@the_laughing_man: Nor is it overt. The person isn't claiming to be involved with the company, which they certainly could do and have it be equally effective. I'd certainly rather hear official company apologies even as someone who doesn't own the game (but would like to and has owned every SimCity game since the original, barring Societies).

Rather, not apologies, but explanations and word on how they're dealing with it.

Brighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brighty

@brighty said:

@officegamer said:

You could've simply said "No" and I would've been like "OK," and I don't see what's so entitled about asking you to clarify what the fuck your thread is about. We're not supposed to keep alt-tabbing between your empty thread and the shit you're referring to on the pages of another forum. That's why there's a quote function on here.

No

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uh, astroturfing has been a "problem" for decades.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb said:

@the_laughing_man: Nor is it overt. The person isn't claiming to be involved with the company, which they certainly could do and have it be equally effective. I'd certainly rather hear official company apologies even as someone who doesn't own the game (but would like to and has owned every SimCity game since the original, barring Societies).

Rather, not apologies, but explanations and word on how they're dealing with it.

Further reading shows Glassbox posted ALOT of EA stuff involving SimCity

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caught? Is it crazy to see a user with the name of the SimCity engine posting about these things? The way I see it the only problem here is that the GlassBox poster didn't identify himself as an EA employee when posting in threads concerning the company, so neogaf banned him before allowing him to respond to a question he was never asked.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By DonPixel

Neogaf = paranoid retard infested internet hell

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Optix12

I just read through 4 pages of that thread and from what I can gather someone spotted the username being similar to EA defending in the past and leadup through the game, everyone just took that as enough that this person seemed shady. Near the end of page 2 there is a mess of comments complaining about posts being deleted, replies being messed up and the thread going all wrong.

From what i can guess and from this quote "

GlassBox we know you work for Maxis. Come out, we won't bite ;).

Edit: The man has spoken! vv

Edit 2: Oh shit banned!

" by killer. It seems glassbox actually replied to people stating who he was, the gaf mods thought it was awkward after a few responded to the outing of himself, deleted it and banned the person. But because im at least an hour late and already read through 4 of the pages with no info on the comments I guess thats that for what im going to get out of that thread. If anyone was there or possibly seen the deleted posts could summarize, then that would be ideal.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@brighty said:

@officegamer said:

Well then fuck this thread.

kitsikitsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kitsikitsi

I just received this newsletter from gamersfirst.

Hilarious.

No Caption Provided

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

Threads like these really make me wish forum moderation was a little more stringent.

kitsikitsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Threads like these really make me wish forum moderation was a little more stringent.

You must hate free speech or something.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@cincaid said:

@the_laughing_man: I don't get it, is it the OP that's supposedly using viral marketing, or what? I assume so, since Gaf banned the account?

Either way, doesn't it take 2 weeks *minimum* before you're able to post on Gaf (that was my activation period, at least)? Not to mention the OP have 600+ posts prior to the ban?

Say what you will about EA, but those motherfuckers think ahead.

kitsikitsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cincaid said:

Not when it comes to how many users will play their game.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's truly maddening to know that companies pay people to post on internet forums all day.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@humanity said:

You must hate free speech or something.

No I just hate it when people put zero effort into a thread and then say "so what do you think?"

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kitsikitsi said:

@thedudeofgaming said:

@cincaid said:

Not when it comes to how many users will play their game.

ding!

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree. I call them "I like cake" posts where they have no content and want everyone else to create the discussion.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By connerthekewlkid

Thats some great proof there

Oh wait its just people on neogaf shouting: BOT! BOT! VIRAL MARKETER!

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Knowing more about this SimCity debacle is relevant to my interest but i will not read anything on neogaf.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@humanity said:

Agreed. There seems to be an epidemic lately of relatively new users creating relatively useless threads. Then being hostile about it? Fuck that.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EXTomar

That is something I missed about 1Up (RIP) moderation: No list threads. No link baiting. No "What do you think?" threads. Basically, all thread starting posts need content or they would be deleted.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@brighty said:

@officegamer said:

from Brighty, hahahaha. I legit laughed out loud.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Barrock

@kerned said:

@humanity said:

Agreed. There seems to be an epidemic lately of relatively new users creating relatively useless threads. Then being hostile about it? Fuck that.

So you would prefer this thread be locked and then... what? Someone else post a new thread where they discuss the link in more detail to avoid their threat being locked?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49513902&postcount=7323

Is amazing.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barrock: That GAF thread is amazing, I agree.

I'm not saying that this thread needs to be locked, I just have a problem with Brighty telling The_Laughing_Man to stop being "entitled" for expecting a post that actually contributes to the conversation. I think it's super disrespectful, and I've been seeing more and more of that shit here lately.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Dacnomaniac

TL;DR - EA have been discovered to employ 'viral marketers'. Which means some of the fanboys you see posting bullshit about how amazing EA/The Game are. Are sometimes employed. A few pages in it has a separate post, which has a link to a different thread showing a guy on 4Chan posting graphs, etc, of various things. And claims to be an ex-employee of EA.

Link to said thread here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468091

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kerned said:

@barrock: That GAF thread is amazing, I agree.

I'm not saying that this thread needs to be locked, I just have a problem with Brighty telling The_Laughing_Man to stop being "entitled" for expecting a post that actually contributes to the conversation. I think it's super disrespectful, and I've been seeing more and more of that shit here lately.

Oh his response was the worst. I'm not defending him acting like an asshole.

Dacnomaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dacnomaniac

@kerned: You mean OfficeGamer, not The_Laughing_Man, right?

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I feel like I should work for EA because even if I don't specifically like their games, I hate nonsense Internet consumer populism.

But I'm probably too aggro to work for EA. Because I'll tell someone they're wrong whereas a real PR person basically spends the entire time apologizing and ensuring everyone is working real hard!

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#40  Edited By Slag
@extomar said:

Uh, astroturfing has been a "problem" for decades.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the term was "stealth marketing", not viral marketing. Viral marketing is stuff like the no hope left page for RE6.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@brighty said:

@officegamer said:

from Brighty, hahahaha. I legit laughed out loud.

I groaned out loud, funny how different we are!

galloughs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By galloughs

@donpixel said:

Neogaf = paranoid retard infested internet hell

agreed, it's one of the worst places on the entire internet. also, this sort of thing is in no way new, and happens for probably ever major game release. this is just one that was caught.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what a god damn lazy thread. just dumps a link without quoting or explaining what happens in it? screw this nonsense.

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

"Real cities don't exist in bubbles"?

Good call. They exist in 2km squares

DAMMMMMMMMMMNNNNNNN

No Caption Provided