Posted by SunBroZak (1199 posts) -

@bigjeffrey gave me the idea, so any loss of sanity on my part will be on him.

Currently I have 120 games on Steam, 103 of them I've deemed playable. The others are a mix of betas, games I will play and games that I simply can't run on my PC. I've challenged myself to playthrough all of these games, and I'm going to keep the GiantBomb community up-to-date on my ventures. I've already completed some of these games, though I may play those ones to completion. I'll be updating my list of completed games as I go, crossing out whatever I deem played/completed and I'll try to provide some way of proving that. I'll also make sure to add any to the list that I purchase after making this blog. The list of games I want to play is as follows:

Steam GamesPlayed
Alan Wake
Alan Wake's American Nightmare

Alien Vs Predator Classic 2000

Amensia: The Dark DecentYes
Audiosurf
Awesomenauts
The Basement Collection
Bastion
Beyond Good & Evil
The Binding of IsaacYes
BIT.TRIP RUNNER
Blocks that Matter
BorderlandsYes
Borderlands 2Yes
Braid
Capsized
Cargo Commander
Cave Story+
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Counter Strike: Global Offensive
Crysis
Dead Pixels
Dear Esther
DOOM 3
DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
The Elder Scrolls V: SkyrimYes
English Country Tune
EversionYes
Fallout: New VegasYes
Far Cry 2
FTL: Faster Than Light
Gish
Gone HomeYes
Half Minute Hero: Super Mega Neo Climax Ultimate Boy
Half Life
Half Life 2
Half Life 2: Episode One
Half Life 2: Episode Two
Half Life 2: Lost Coast
HomeYes
Hotline Miami
Intrusion 2
Jamestown
Killing Floor
Left 4 Dead 2Yes
LIMBOYes
Little Inferno
Lone Survivor
Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers 2012
Magicka
Max Payne
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Max Payne 3
Metro 2033
Nation Red
Nightmare House 2Yes
Nightsky
Oil Rush
Orcs Must Die!
Organ Trail: Director's Cut
OutlastYes
Painkiller: Black Edition
PAYDAY: The HeistYes
PAYDAY 2Yes
Penumbra: Black Plague
Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Requiem
Plants vs Zombies: Game of the YearYes
The Polynomial
PortalYes
Portal 2Yes
ProteusYes
Psychonauts
RAGEYes
Rogue Legacy
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Call of Pripyat
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Clear Sky
S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl
Sanctum
Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter
Shank
Shoot Many Robots
Sid Meier's Civilization IV
Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion
Skullgirls
Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army
Sonic & All-Stars Racing TransformedYes
Spelunky
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Super Meat Boy
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition
Symphony
Team Fortress 2Yes
TerrariaYes
They Bleed Pixels
Thomas was Alone
Tiny And Big: Grandpa's Leftovers
Torchlight 2
Warframe
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Chaos Rising
XCOM: Enemy Unknown

I've edited in a table, from the suggestion of @bigjeffrey, so that should make the process a little easier.

I've place two criteria on said table. "Finished" refers to me simply playing a game until the credits role, or until the main quest has been resolved. "Completed" refers to having completed every task in the game. The goal is to have finished every game on that list. I can't commit to completing them all, as there's some that are simply to difficult or time consuming to do so.

In regards to games that don't necessarily have a "finished" criteria, like CS:GO, I will deem them finished when I've logged a sufficient amount of hours into the game. Which will differ depending on the size of the game.

I'm hoping to keep a running log of my adventures through steam, to coincide with updating this table. Which will include my thoughts on the games I'm currently playing, screenshots and evidence of when I do complete/finish a game and whatever else I can think of.

With that said, wish me luck!

#1 Posted by jimmyfenix (3858 posts) -

@sunbrozak: MAX PAYNE 3 Trust me you will be listening to this a lot

#2 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5797 posts) -

Good luck. Fight the good fight!

#3 Edited by thebunnyhunter (1446 posts) -

You will most likely die before this deed is finished....But if you live you'll be a hero.

But Yeah Max Payne 3...that game is awesome in every respect...go play that.

#4 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

One day I might do this, but just running them, not completing. I have like 180 games on steam I have never even started. :D

#5 Posted by Slag (4610 posts) -

Good luck man, that is a daunting list

#6 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11908 posts) -

You are going to die.

#7 Edited by Rowr (5804 posts) -

Skyrim might as well be another 100 games on that list.

What's your definition of complete for Counterstrike...

#8 Posted by Breadfan (6590 posts) -

That is going to be grueling.

#9 Edited by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

Play Max Payne 1 and 2, and if you like them skip 3

#10 Edited by BigJeffrey (5074 posts) -

@sunbrozak Go with Tables (On the toolbar)

Example:

Steam LibraryCompleted Games
Alan Wake

Man i just keep giving you gold here.

#11 Posted by Sanity (1940 posts) -

When you get around to Torchlight 2 check out the synergies MOD, playing around with that a bit right now and enjoying it.

#12 Posted by BigJeffrey (5074 posts) -

@you_died said:

3 could of used more Fake Tv Ads

#13 Posted by Hashy (81 posts) -

@you_died said:

This jerk speaks for nobody. There are like 5 good games on your list and Max Payne 3 is one of them

#14 Posted by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@hashy said:

@you_died said:

This jerk speaks for nobody. There are like 5 good games on your list and Max Payne 3 is one of them

I speak for myself, and a lot of MP fans would probably agree with me. Don't even get me started on the unskippable cutscenes.

#15 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (359 posts) -

@you_died said:

@hashy said:

@you_died said:

I speak for myself, and a lot of MP fans would probably agree with me. Don't even get me started on the unskippable cutscenes.

Fuck Max Payne 3.

#16 Posted by DoctorDonkey (331 posts) -

I highly recommend Maximus Paynious the Third, it is a jolly ol' romp. Just remember to use m/kb and not bother with any shots below the shoulders.

#17 Edited by ThunderSlash (1822 posts) -

I loved Max Payne. Didn't enjoy the second one as much. But I LOVED Max Payne 3, it probably has one the best feeling third person BLAT BLAT BLAT to the face simulation. So put in my vote for playing the third one too.

Also:

You are going to die.

#18 Posted by BeachThunder (12086 posts) -

I'd say it's a good idea to get Dear Esther out of the way first, it's ultra short, and you can cross the first one of your list.

But really, there's a lot of wonderful games on that list.

#19 Edited by SunBroZak (1199 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback, I've since edited it into a table and specified the criteria for completing/finishing a game.

Like I said in the edit, I hope to write more blogs in the future that tell of my tales when playing through these games. So with that, I'd better get started!

#20 Posted by BigJeffrey (5074 posts) -

@sunbrozak said:

Thanks for the feedback, I've since edited it into a table and specified the criteria for completing/finishing a game.

Like I said in the edit, I hope to write more blogs in the future that tell of my tales when playing through these games. So with that, I'd better get started!

Good Luck teetering on the brink of sanity.

#21 Posted by Shaunage (715 posts) -

I'm trying this with like 3 times as many games. Just using a RNG to pick what I play next and sticking to it. I'm currently about 3/4 through Monaco from it.

#22 Posted by Rowr (5804 posts) -

@you_died said:

@hashy said:

@you_died said:

It's patched, they are skippable now.

Shut up.

#23 Posted by Jaqen_HGhar (923 posts) -

Good luck man! Trying to do the same myself, but with all of my games, not just Steam backlog. Have put them all into Backloggery, aiming to at least get my "Beaten" percentage to 70%
Also, Hotline Miami is a short sweet game. You can probably knock that out pretty fast, and have a great time doing it!

#24 Edited by YOU_DIED (703 posts) -

@rowr said:

@you_died said:

@hashy said:

@you_died said:

It's patched, they are skippable now.

Shut up.

Not for me they aren't. It's simply a poor game. Deal with it.

#25 Posted by maverick1 (92 posts) -

Wow thats a big list. Good luck but how do you finish something like counter strike?

#26 Posted by Zlimness (561 posts) -

How many hours each day can you put into this? That's a lot of game hours.

#27 Posted by SunBroZak (1199 posts) -

@zlimness said:

How many hours each day can you put into this? That's a lot of game hours.

For the next two weeks, about 5-6 hours each day if I really wanted to. Once my college course begins after those two weeks, progress will be a lot slower. But I hope to keep at it.

#28 Posted by Zlimness (561 posts) -

@sunbrozak: My advice is to pick out 10 or so games from different genres. Playing the same genre over and over will only make it into a chore. Especially if those games are 20+ hours. The Stalker trilogy will test your endurance.

And it goes without saying that you can't add anything to this list if you ever wish to finish this task. Good luck! :)

#29 Edited by SunBroZak (1199 posts) -
@zlimness said:

@sunbrozak: My advice is to pick out 10 or so games from different genres. Playing the same genre over and over will only make it into a chore. Especially if those games are 20+ hours. The Stalker trilogy will test your endurance.

And it goes without saying that you can't add anything to this list if you ever wish to finish this task. Good luck! :)

B-b-but, Spelunky. Actually I'm real tempted to buy Spelunky and Rogue Legacy. We'll see how well that bodes for me.

Thanks for the advice, anyway.

#30 Posted by Captain_Insano (1547 posts) -

I'm looking forward to when GTAV comes out and everyone reacts 'oh man the shooting in this is great' and then realise that it is the Max Payne 3 shooting transferred into GTA (this is not a criticism, in fact it's awesome). The only problem for Max Payne 3 was that the shooting didn't feel like a Max Payne game in that Bullet Time was only effective if you remained in cover and used it to pick off enemies. Max Payne 1 and 2 was all about diving about sidewards and backwards (I never really did go forwards) being a bad arse.

Anyway:

Play Max Payne 3

Go back to Remedy and play Alan Wake (it is fantastic, one of my favourite games this gen)

Then play XCOM (or play XCOM thoughout, one mission at a time)

Then Bastion for a change in tone.

After that I don't know.

#31 Posted by ThunderSlash (1822 posts) -

@captain_insano: Although it eats up adrenaline, you get infinite bullet time in Max Payne 3 when you shoot dodge and Max is basically invulnerable (there are some cases in which you can die though) during that shoot dodge sequence IIRC.

#32 Edited by ch3burashka (5112 posts) -

The "completed" checklist is, frankly, stupid. If you were a 10-year-old kid with no responsibilities, go ahead, but assuming you have high school/college/work, thinking you can or should 100% every game is illogical. Play it to enjoyment - finishing a game is one thing, but maxing it out only to fulfill an arbitrary list requirement isn't a smart way of using your gaming time.

That said, I don't know if you've even tried the Max Payne games (you don't say what you've actually played), but do so immediately. Even 15(?) years later, I still go back and play the first every now and then. It's one of my favorite games, so I probably give it a pass on some things, but it is totally playable in this day and age as well.

#33 Posted by SunBroZak (1199 posts) -

The "completed" checklist is, frankly, stupid. If you were a 10-year-old kid with no responsibilities, go ahead, but assuming you have high school/college/work, thinking you can or should 100% every game is illogical. Play it to enjoyment - finishing a game is one thing, but maxing it out only to fulfill an arbitrary list requirement isn't a smart way of using your gaming time.

Well I never said I was going to 100% all of the games. I don't see myself 100%'ing many of them. But I don't normally come back to a game after I've finished it, and I intend to remove a lot of these games from my computer after finishing them to free up space. So if there's a game that I really enjoy finishing, I may feel the temptation to complete it fully. And if I do I'd like to keep track of that.