• 157 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

Voting Finished

The voting for the next Boss has been completed. Vinny Wins -_-;; Whenever I have some free time, I'll put together a Vinny Boss fight next =)

Free Game

or at least, free boss fight =P I did a quick and dirty game jam that I sort of posted updates on here.

It's my first time attempting to build a game out for distribution so I'm not entirely sure if it'll work and how it works on other people's comps. If it doesn't work, please let me know along with whatever errors you have. If it does work, drop me a note on what you think =)

Download Ver 1.24

Controls

Keyboard and 360 controller supported

Z(keyboard) or C(keyboard), X or B on controller to shoot.

X(keyboard) or A on controller to jump.

arrow keys or d-pad for movement.

down + jump to slide.

Enter or Start to skip.

I'm not sure if there's a download limit on dropbox, but that's how I'm sharing it for now. Enjoy!

Here is a vid of the game. I highly recommend you just play through it yourself since the entire thing is under 5 min but if you can't for whatever reason, you can still watch it here =P

Version Update Information Below

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

If you've already installed, you must uninstall before installing the new version.

Update V1.4

added respawn on game over screen if you lose.

tweaked ryan's attack so there are no impossible situations.

V1.5

adjusted attack a bit more

V1.07

lowered the low platforms a bit

V1.08

reduced lifetime of ryddok's bullets

V1.09

added start select arrow

V1.10

attempted to be compatible with more video cards by dropping DX10

V1.11

fixed various bugs such as music continuing to play after ending and also being able to fire while READY is flashing

Added a SLIIIIIDEEEE!!!! Down + Jump!

V1.12

C button also fires weapon to allow both left/right combinations of jump/fire

V1.14

Balance changes to keep things more fair.

Ryddok no longer moves before the player can.

Humming birds further spread apart to allow dodging through any combination.

Boundaries changed to prevent extreme travel through walls for Ryddok.

Full collision with all platforms.

V1.15 ~ V1.18

Made a large amount of changes to the structure of the program to support extra bosses and potential levels.

Changed the camera to have movement functions

Begun implementing basics of Vinny as a boss character

Added a select screen in which currently only Ryan is selectable.

V1.19

Quickly added a difficulty selection. You can now play the game on Easy. I'll prolly change the attack patterns a bit based on which difficulty is selected but for now, it just reduces the damage taken by Mega Man when hit.

#1 Edited by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

Voting Finished

The voting for the next Boss has been completed. Vinny Wins -_-;; Whenever I have some free time, I'll put together a Vinny Boss fight next =)

Free Game

or at least, free boss fight =P I did a quick and dirty game jam that I sort of posted updates on here.

It's my first time attempting to build a game out for distribution so I'm not entirely sure if it'll work and how it works on other people's comps. If it doesn't work, please let me know along with whatever errors you have. If it does work, drop me a note on what you think =)

Download

Controls

Keyboard and 360 controller supported

Z(keyboard) or C(keyboard), X or B on controller to shoot.

X(keyboard) or A on controller to jump.

arrow keys or d-pad for movement.

down + jump to slide.

Enter or Start to skip.

I'm not sure if there's a download limit on dropbox, but that's how I'm sharing it for now. Enjoy!

Here is a vid of the game. I highly recommend you just play through it yourself since the entire thing is under 5 min but if you can't for whatever reason, you can still watch it here =P

Version Update Information Below

SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.

If you've already installed, you must uninstall before installing the new version.

Update V1.4

added respawn on game over screen if you lose.

tweaked ryan's attack so there are no impossible situations.

V1.5

adjusted attack a bit more

V1.07

lowered the low platforms a bit

V1.08

reduced lifetime of ryddok's bullets

V1.09

added start select arrow

V1.10

attempted to be compatible with more video cards by dropping DX10

V1.11

fixed various bugs such as music continuing to play after ending and also being able to fire while READY is flashing

Added a SLIIIIIDEEEE!!!! Down + Jump!

V1.12

C button also fires weapon to allow both left/right combinations of jump/fire

V1.14

Balance changes to keep things more fair.

Ryddok no longer moves before the player can.

Humming birds further spread apart to allow dodging through any combination.

Boundaries changed to prevent extreme travel through walls for Ryddok.

Full collision with all platforms.

V1.15 ~ V1.18

Made a large amount of changes to the structure of the program to support extra bosses and potential levels.

Changed the camera to have movement functions

Begun implementing basics of Vinny as a boss character

Added a select screen in which currently only Ryan is selectable.

V1.19

Quickly added a difficulty selection. You can now play the game on Easy. I'll prolly change the attack patterns a bit based on which difficulty is selected but for now, it just reduces the damage taken by Mega Man when hit.

#2 Posted by Strife777 (1580 posts) -

Oh wow! I'm going to bed now, but tomorrow I'll definitely check it out and let you know.

#3 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

Looks cool, downloading it now.

#4 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

@blueaniman93: Great, plz lemme know if it installs properly. I've had some issues in the past and am hoping it plugs in alright -_-;;

#5 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

We are intrigued.

Downloading to my mac right now.

#6 Posted by Daiphyer (1337 posts) -

This looks pretty fucking awesome. Downloaded,; will post back later after I've finished it with some thoughts.

#7 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

@panvixyl said:

We are intrigued.

Downloading to my mac right now.

I don't think it works on mac =( Sorry. . .

#8 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

@panvixyl said:

We are intrigued.

Downloading to my mac right now.

I don't think it works on mac =( Sorry. . .

Eh, I was gonna try and run it on an emulator. Works alright most of the time.

#9 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (352 posts) -

Let's play Megamang.

#10 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

@panvixyl said:

@Fobwashed said:

@panvixyl said:

We are intrigued.

Downloading to my mac right now.

I don't think it works on mac =( Sorry. . .

Eh, I was gonna try and run it on an emulator. Works alright most of the time.

Oh, good luck then =) The more the merrier. It uses Windows .net framework so I'm curious if that works on an emulated version of Windows. At this point I hope it's working because I'm not hearing any "it's not working" type things just yet. *crosses fingers*

#11 Posted by awesomeusername (4185 posts) -

Hmmm... I'll try it out on Tuesday or something. Got papers to write so I won't have time until then. But I sucked in the original 2D Megaman games so I'll probably get wrecked 5 times in a row, scream at the game and rage quit. Then tell you I hate it (because I suck).

#12 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (352 posts) -

Just tried one run, as usual not very good with platformer bosses, but I'm truly impressed. From what I can remember of NES Megaman, the feel is pretty much spot on; did you have some form of reference for movement and jumping speeds?

I found the collision detection to feel a bit off when jumping, though I'm not sure exactly what about it is rubbing me the wrong way. Maybe just that you can clip through platforms from beneath, which makes it harder to land a jump onto the smaller ones.

Fun stuff, I'll be playing more after I get some breakfast in me.

#13 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

@Hugh_Jazz said:

Just tried one run, as usual not very good with platformer bosses, but I'm truly impressed. From what I can remember of NES Megaman, the feel is pretty much spot on; did you have some form of reference for movement and jumping speeds?

I found the collision detection to feel a bit off when jumping, though I'm not sure exactly what about it is rubbing me the wrong way. Maybe just that you can clip through platforms from beneath, which makes it harder to land a jump onto the smaller ones.

Fun stuff, I'll be playing more after I get some breakfast in me.

I used various references from people emulating speed runs to get down the movement as close to Megaman 2 as I possibly could. Down to the frame in most cases for things like edging =P Though, it's sorta impossible to really notice the nuance in a hectic boss fight.

The platforms I've got set up are all clippable from beneath. I could have made them solid and unclippable, but I figured I'd rather the player be more maneuverable since it's just one fight. I also toyed with a jump down through the platform thing but that actually made it too easy. A happy middle ground.

Thanks =)

#14 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4605 posts) -

Can't play since on a mac, but nice job all the same!

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Damn Fobwashed! I nominate you Duder of the year! I'll check this out in the morning!

#16 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Very nice, I'll definitely check it out when I get home.

#17 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

Hmmm... I'll try it out on Tuesday or something. Got papers to write so I won't have time until then. But I sucked in the original 2D Megaman games so I'll probably get wrecked 5 times in a row, scream at the game and rage quit. Then tell you I hate it (because I suck).

Seeing that the entire experience is around 1~5 min long, you'll be rage quitting in record time =P

@MarkWahlberg said:

Can't play since on a mac, but nice job all the same!

Why thank you =)

@Phatmac said:

Damn Fobwashed! I nominate you Duder of the year! I'll check this out in the morning!

I could swear I've seen this comment somewhere else before =P In the morning? It's like 1:30AM where I'm at, where are you?

@joshthebear said:

Very nice, I'll definitely check it out when I get home.

Thanks! Let me know what you think =D

#18 Edited by KaneRobot (1614 posts) -

Won't install, incompatible with my graphics card message. Weird, it's only like 5 years old and was pretty high end at the time. Oh well.

Looks pretty awesome.

#19 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

Won't install, incompatible with my graphics card message. Weird, it's only like 5 years old and was pretty high end at the time. Oh well.

Looks pretty awesome.

Well that's really screwy and disheartening =\ Could you please let me know what kind of video card you have and what OS you're running on? This was partly for fun but I'm also trying to learn from this for my other game -_-;;

#20 Posted by blueaniman93 (604 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Had no problems on this end. Just opened the exe and it ran.

The game works well but something is a little big off when jumping on platforms.

Haven't beaten it yet but it'll give it another try in the morning.

#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (8243 posts) -

Commenting so I can find this thread again on Monday when I'll actually have time to process this. Sounds amazing though!

#22 Posted by solidlife (878 posts) -

Nice downloading this now

#23 Posted by probablytuna (3664 posts) -

Dude what.

#24 Posted by Happenstance (462 posts) -

Dropbox is telling me the file isnt there for some reason

#25 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

@Happenstance said:

Dropbox is telling me the file isnt there for some reason

Sorry, it should work now. I had to replace the file because I forgot to take out some of the debug tools -_-;;

#26 Edited by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

Man, FUCK RYAN DAVIS!

Edit: Yeah I'm gonna need whatever weapon he's weak to, to beat this.

#27 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

I installed it and it installed fine and then I booted it up a little and didn't see any problems with it. 
Will have to give it an honest go later though because I'm on my way out the door but I just wanted to chime in and say that it installs and boots just fine. 

#28 Edited by Dogma (961 posts) -

Hahahaha! I burst into laughther when Davis in the video attacked Mega Man with hummingbirds!

Yoiu might just be my favorite thing on this site except for the main content on the site of course. Awesome work.......again. :D

I would also like to see someone upload more content of this game since I can't play it myself. I want to see all bosses and how they are used!

#29 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Downloading now, get hype!

#30 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (352 posts) -

Is there a way to get from the Game Over screen back into the game without restarting? Restarting every time is a bit of a hassle.

I'm not sure if this is a particularly difficult boss as far as Megaman bosses go, but I'm having a hard time with it. It's great fun, though, and the audio design seems spot-on.

#31 Posted by Happenstance (462 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Thanks a lot, im looking forward to giving it a try

#32 Posted by Fobwashed (2076 posts) -

@StarvingGamer said:

Commenting so I can find this thread again on Monday when I'll actually have time to process this. Sounds amazing though!

Find me. I dare you.

@JackSukeru said:

Man, FUCK RYAN DAVIS!

Edit: Yeah I'm gonna need whatever weapon he's weak to, to beat this.

He's weak against swords -_-;;

@ZeForgotten said:

I installed it and it installed fine and then I booted it up a little and didn't see any problems with it. Will have to give it an honest go later though because I'm on my way out the door but I just wanted to chime in and say that it installs and boots just fine.

Thank you =)

@Dogma said:

Hahahaha! I burst into laughther when Davis in the video attacked Mega Man with hummingbirds!

Yoiu might just be my favorite thing on this site except for the main content on the site of course. Awesome work.......again. :D

I would also like to see someone upload more content of this game since I can't play it myself. I want to see all bosses and how they are used!

I couldn't find a good sound byte for when he's summoning them but the AAAaauuughhh felt right. Unfortunately, only Davis is built since I wanted to do a jam rather than make an entire game =P

@Vexxan said:

Downloading now, get hype!

GET IT!

@Hugh_Jazz said:

Is there a way to get from the Game Over screen back into the game without restarting? Restarting every time is a bit of a hassle.

I'm not sure if this is a particularly difficult boss as far as Megaman bosses go, but I'm having a hard time with it. It's great fun, though, and the audio design seems spot-on.

It'd take me a whole nother 30 minutes to add a retry rather than a restart =P Since most people will only be playing this thing like 3 or 4 times, I didn't think it was worth the extra time commitment =( Sorry~ I have to say, game is hella hard to play with a keyboard. Use a 360 controller if you've got a wired one handy. Very happy to hear you're enjoying it tho =D

#33 Posted by Mijati (922 posts) -

EAT SHIT RYAN DAVIS!

Took me about 5 attempts to beat it, the hummingbirds seemed to be very unforgiving at times (I thought I would be safe to go under it but still hit anyway). But was great other than that, shame it's only one boss though :(.

#34 Edited by TruthTellah (9094 posts) -

Man, FUCK RYAN DAVIS.

Is this meant to be impossible? Do we need to cheese it somehow? Because, right now, I can get him down to maybe half life at best. It's nuts!

Seems to play fine, but it feels like I Wanna Be the Guy difficulty. And the lack of being able to retry just makes it even more rage-inducing. Pretty cool anyway.

#35 Posted by QuantumPilot (86 posts) -

It works, but the jump seems off. Could be just me, but I have trouble sticking the landing.

#36 Posted by BadSniper52 (611 posts) -

Downloading now, this is awesome!

#37 Posted by Sinusoidal (1506 posts) -

Ha! This is great. I'm sad my song didn't get in.

#38 Posted by Grillbar (1834 posts) -

why is this not front page yet

#39 Posted by Grillbar (1834 posts) -

might wanna check this out

#40 Posted by Eviternal (193 posts) -

This is tremendous for a couple of days work!

I don't think I'll ever beat it (seriously, fuck robotic Russian Ryan Davis), but I'm awful at 2D games that require swift, controlled movement so it was never to be anyway. The controls feel responsive and the sounds are fitting - I thought from the previews that the "uhs" were a bit much, but they're fine in-game.

I summon to cast the GB spotlight on this!

#41 Posted by Scratch (628 posts) -

Had no problems downloading and installing. It's pretty sweet! I couldn't beat it though.

#42 Posted by Hugh_Jazz (352 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Am playing with a wired X360 controller, just not very proficient at fighting these bullet hell style bosses.

Would you be interested in releasing the source for this if you're not interested in working too much more on it? I haven't had Visual Studio installed for a long while since I'm trying to get into Unity, but it could be fun to try and expand on this a bit.

#43 Posted by MaFoLu (1858 posts) -

After playing this non-stop for about half an hour, I finally managed to beat it. 
The only real bug I found while playing was that before Mega Man has spawned, the firing sound still plays if you try to shoot. 
Other than that, the only things that bugged me were the fact that you had to restart the game every time you died, and that for the smaller platforms the collision felt off while jumping onto them from below, like the collider was too small on top of it. This could probably be alleviated by simply moving them down just a tiny bit.

Those were just some small annoyances though and overall it was very well put together. I would be overjoyed if this was developed into a full game, or at least just the boss fights for the other duders.  
You have any plans for releasing the source for this so other duders could keep working on it if you are going to move on to other projects?

#44 Posted by JackSukeru (5912 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Ah I didn't know that you could use a Xbox controller, I eventually beat it using that.

#45 Posted by Alpha1 (254 posts) -

it was excellent!! Great work duder :D

#46 Edited by Bollard (5550 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

@KaneRobot said:

Won't install, incompatible with my graphics card message. Weird, it's only like 5 years old and was pretty high end at the time. Oh well.

Looks pretty awesome.

Well that's really screwy and disheartening =\ Could you please let me know what kind of video card you have and what OS you're running on? This was partly for fun but I'm also trying to learn from this for my other game -_-;;

I've been using a lot of XNA recently, and if I had to guess the error will be the Hi-Def incompatible graphics card one. Basically in XNA if you're developing for PC you can use the Hi-Def mode to give you access to some extra things, but it won't run on Xbox or older GPU's. Instead you need to go on your project properties and change the (render method I think?) to Reach. It's the first radial option under properties.

Also game looks pretty awesome. Thought it was a ROMhack for a moment, given its attention to detail.

#47 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Was fun to play, better get working on that sequel! Would be cool to see one game for each of the duders in different environment, Mario X GiantBomb, Zelda X GiantBomb and so on.

Keep up the good work!

#48 Posted by TruthTellah (9094 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Can you provide an uninstaller? I can't seem to find an uninstaller in the directory. It's cool, but as you said, once it's over, it's over. ha.

#49 Posted by gelatinabomination (184 posts) -

This is great. If this doesn't turn into something bigger, though, I will be sad.

#50 Posted by Schatzy23 (159 posts) -

Great video game duder. I, as usual, suck at Megaman games so i couldn't get Russian Ryan Davis's health down at all. All in all, amazing work!