• 157 results
#101 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

That was friggen hard. Ending sucked though. You should probably do an extended cut.

#102 Posted by Jazz2 (151 posts) -

haha i lke the premise :p nice work!

#103 Posted by Fobwashed (2119 posts) -

@morrelloman yeah, I had to skimp because at the time I was trying to finish in a set amount of time. Seeing as how I've been tinkering with it after the end, maybe I'll throw in something else. Was considering increasing the difficulty then throwing in a steam code in the game over for the first person to beat it or something. I dunno. @jazz2 thanks duder =]

#104 Posted by ildon (378 posts) -

I WON! Good work. Now do the rest. :P

#105 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -

Fuck Ryan Davis, he keeps killing me.

#106 Posted by morrelloman (608 posts) -

Do you know how many ppl have downloaded so far?

#107 Posted by HiImMikeCruz (210 posts) -

Oh right I'm terrible at Mega Man

#108 Posted by huntad (1955 posts) -

I BEAT IT! That was a lot of fun! Good work! I hope you add more staff members to the game later. :)

#109 Posted by Rapid (1379 posts) -

So rusty at megaman..... =/

#110 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

I'm only mildly disappointed at the lack of chiptune bombcast theme in the beginning.

#111 Posted by Ronin147 (78 posts) -

Any way to be able to switch Z and X button its screwing me up badly

#112 Edited by Poki3 (527 posts) -

FUCK RYAN DAVIS AND HIS MIND BULLETS!

Any way I can get a Wuss mode with a pink bow or something that makes my blaster do double damage? -_- I tried like 30 times and still can't beat him. I really suck at platformers and the game doesn't seem to acknowledge both my PS3 and PS2 gamepads. Tell me when you make a bullet hell shooter, I'm much better at those.

Also is the fade to black and the black screen supposed to be that long after you die? I'd like to get back to having my ass kicked a little faster. Can't I just continue?

EDIT: Also if I'm holding down and tapping jump I'll do a slide and then jump and then slide again instead of doing one slide after another. Is this a bug or was it like that in MM2?

EDIT2: When Ryan is flying around all over the place he can sometimes fly into the left or right wall. You can still hit him but if he's far enough his mind bullets will not fire because of the wall.

#113 Posted by Baltimore (277 posts) -

I am very impressed good sir. Now I just need to figure out how to effectively kill RYDOK.

#114 Posted by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

I want a full game! Is this simply not feasible?

#115 Posted by noby_guy (95 posts) -

v1.11 worked for me. Thanks Fobwashed.

#116 Posted by Jayzilla (2567 posts) -

Legit Mega Man game. It's really hard and really fun.

#117 Posted by Fobwashed (2119 posts) -

@ildon said:

I WON! Good work. Now do the rest. :P

Haha, no. . . maybe. . . no. . . maybe. . .

@Rattle618 said:

Fuck Ryan Davis, he keeps killing me.

Truly.

@morrelloman said:

Do you know how many ppl have downloaded so far?

I wish there were a way to find out. It might be asking too much to put up a poll or something and asking people who've played to check in -_-;;

@huntad said:

I BEAT IT! That was a lot of fun! Good work! I hope you add more staff members to the game later. :)

See above =P

@Ronin147 said:

Any way to be able to switch Z and X button its screwing me up badly

I suppose I could. . . maybe. . . How about I also make the C key fire. That way people can go both ways, just shift over one spot. Check back in like 5 min for V1.12. It'll have the new key setup.

@Poki3 said:

FUCK RYAN DAVIS AND HIS MIND BULLETS!

Any way I can get a Wuss mode with a pink bow or something that makes my blaster do double damage? -_- I tried like 30 times and still can't beat him. I really suck at platformers and the game doesn't seem to acknowledge both my PS3 and PS2 gamepads. Tell me when you make a bullet hell shooter, I'm much better at those.

Also is the fade to black and the black screen supposed to be that long after you die? I'd like to get back to having my ass kicked a little faster. Can't I just continue?

EDIT: Also if I'm holding down and tapping jump I'll do a slide and then jump and then slide again instead of doing one slide after another. Is this a bug or was it like that in MM2?

EDIT2: When Ryan is flying around all over the place he can sometimes fly into the left or right wall. You can still hit him but if he's far enough his mind bullets will not fire because of the wall.

Unfortunately, it only supports 360 controllers. There are plenty of middleware programs that translate joystick inputs into key presses though.

Fade to black could be sped up, but I like the slow exit to allow Ryddok to get in a last word.

You have to wait for the slide to finish. You can jump out of a slide which is how it was in MM3 and onwards I believe. You can also break out of a slide by pushing the opposite direction.

Yea, he does that sometimes. . . free hits! I find that less a bug and more an old school game bug/feature =P

@Baltimore said:

I am very impressed good sir. Now I just need to figure out how to effectively kill RYDOK.

I'm guessing using GerstBeam would be highly effective on Ryddok

@EnduranceFun said:

I want a full game! Is this simply not feasible?

The response has been pretty damn positive (but it's a dope community so that's expected =P) so I did actually give some thought to putting together say a level before the boss or just some more bosses, but honestly. . . it's a lotta work. The framework is in, but it's not just a matter of building it out, if I did it, I'd wanna do it right and have actually fun levels or additional boss battles so. . . time. I just don't have time =( I'm on the cusp of just cracking and doing at least one more boss fight though.

@noby_guy said:

v1.11 worked for me. Thanks Fobwashed.

Super dope. Thank you for putting up with it to allow me to figure out what the problem was =)

@Jayzilla said:

Legit Mega Man game. It's really hard and really fun.

Thank you so mucho =D

#118 Posted by MisterSamMan (365 posts) -

Awesome!

#119 Edited by Griffinmills (181 posts) -

Great stuff, tyvm!

@Fobwashed said:

You have to wait for the slide to finish. You can jump out of a slide which is how it was in MM3 and onwards I believe. You can also break out of a slide by pushing the opposite direction.

You are correct, time it so the slide is ending and slide again. Slide Megaman! Slide for everlasting vigilante copyright enforcement!

#120 Posted by Kurinkita (46 posts) -

You're the man!

#121 Posted by Fenrisulfr (142 posts) -

While it's cool, this game is way too damn hard for me. I couldn't get Russian Ryan below 50% health.

#122 Edited by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

It's sad that you lack the time. If you fished around enough you may be able to find like-minded duders to help do the code. If you wanted ideas for the others, I'm sure everyone would love a thread to suggest stuff like, 'what should be X's level and boss?' I know I'd love to be involved in something this awesome but can't program.

#123 Posted by NegativeCero (3012 posts) -

I will definitely check this out when I can get to a computer.

#124 Posted by Baltimore (277 posts) -

@Fobwashed: So wait....there's a boss select screen? When I launch the game it goes directly into fighting Rydock once I hit start.

#125 Posted by Fobwashed (2119 posts) -

@MisterSamMan said:

Awesome!

No, You're awesome!

@Griffinmills said:

Great stuff, tyvm!

@Fobwashed said:

You are correct, time it so the slide is ending and slide again. Slide Megaman! Slide for everlasting vigilante copyright enforcement!

Sliding. It's a serious business.

@Kurinkita said:

You're the man!

I AM a man =D

@Fenrisulfr said:

While it's cool, this game is way too damn hard for me. I couldn't get Russian Ryan below 50% health.

Honestly, I don't think I could beat it without a controller. Or at least, it'd be a much harder time -_-;;

@EnduranceFun said:

It's sad that you lack the time. If you fished around enough you may be able to find like-minded duders to help do the code. If you wanted ideas for the others, I'm sure everyone would love a thread to suggest stuff like, 'what should be X's level and boss?' I know I'd love to be involved in something this awesome but can't program.

The problem with asking for help with the coding is that the game is so light weight and simple that changes to the code that I didn't make myself would make things way harder for me. Making things work the way I want it to isn't really the problem. I think the bulk of my time aside from putting together the core engine part was getting the art together and figuring out the precise timings of things like jumps, movement, running, etc. This little thing's gotten such a positive response that I'm willing to dump at least a little more time into it. You can vote on the next boss here =)

@NegativeCero said:

I will definitely check this out when I can get to a computer.

Hey Kid! Quit all the downloading! Help Computer!

#126 Posted by Ronin147 (78 posts) -

That would be great for me :)

#127 Posted by kenniWORLDPEACE (53 posts) -

this game is way too difficult for me to even have fun with it, but its impressive nonetheless. im not even getting close to beating the first boss after about an hour, lol.

#128 Edited by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

Finally got around to playing this. Fuck Ryan Davis. I will admit I won entirely because Ryan tried using his uh uh uh uh attack when on top of the wall of the room, meaning they didn't work, letting me get off a good five hits or so on him for free. Lots of luck too.

My advice would be not to focus so much on making it so damn hard. It'd be easier and more accustomed to MegaMan to give every boss a discernible pattern. I understand why you'd want to make it randomised [rogue-like like] but while this makes for a more versatile boss fight, it also makes it impossible to learn and adapt to, you're basically just hoping that you get lucky, and that is just annoying. Like I hated the homing and boomerang nature of the projectiles, they were too hard to dodge. The randomness of the humming birds also meant I literally couldn't dodge a lot of the time - you should have one or two patterns for that. Plus Ryan seemed to enjoy bolting across the room at mach speed a lot of the time, jeez.

Very fun and I really really hope you make more. A full game would be a God send.

#129 Posted by fuzzypumpkin (384 posts) -

Haha, digging the Ryan Davis noises. I just watched the video though so I can't tell ya whether or not the game worked for me. Good job though.

#130 Posted by Baltimore (277 posts) -

Maybe for version 1.13 you could add a WUSS mode? Make the boss fights a bit easier.

#131 Posted by Vager (1654 posts) -

After a number of hours trying, I finally beat him. Awesome game all around!

#132 Edited by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

Went back, beat Ryan fair and square. More please!

I definitely better understand the deliberate pacing and can see the work put into how the boss feels. It's a little ill thought out, though - this would be great for a full game, but if you intended only to do one or two boss fights, it's jarring to be thrown into this hard boss fight where only a fully activated jump gets you onto the platforms and a slide is needed to evade attacks, two necessary elements needed to survive. However, full game would be great. I dare think of what levels would look like.

You guys tell me when you can perfect run Ry Man.

#133 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Duder, this is pretty awesome.

#134 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1008 posts) -

@Fobwashed: Definitely downloading it. You sir, are a master class act.

#135 Posted by Superfriend (1564 posts) -

Wow, this is one of the greatest things a bomber has ever created. If you could somehow get the sourcecode out to people and turn this into some sort of open source project.. damn!

But even if it wont evolve much, it is still so freaking awesome! Thanks duder!

#136 Posted by Rxanadu (509 posts) -

Well, that was fast. I've downloaded it, but haven't played it yet, so I'll hold out judgement on the game until then. Thank you regardless.

#137 Posted by Fobwashed (2119 posts) -

@KenniVuitton said:

this game is way too difficult for me to even have fun with it, but its impressive nonetheless. im not even getting close to beating the first boss after about an hour, lol.

Funny thing is, I'd prolly add a harder difficulty before I'd add an easier one -_-;; Or maybe whilst adding a harder, I'd make normal a smidge easier. Having a controller really makes a huge difference. If you're playing on keyboard, I'm sorry =(

@EnduranceFun said:

Finally got around to playing this. Fuck Ryan Davis. I will admit I won entirely because Ryan tried using his uh uh uh uh attack when on top of the wall of the room, meaning they didn't work, letting me get off a good five hits or so on him for free. Lots of luck too.

My advice would be not to focus so much on making it so damn hard. It'd be easier and more accustomed to MegaMan to give every boss a discernible pattern. I understand why you'd want to make it randomised [rogue-like like] but while this makes for a more versatile boss fight, it also makes it impossible to learn and adapt to, you're basically just hoping that you get lucky, and that is just annoying. Like I hated the homing and boomerang nature of the projectiles, they were too hard to dodge. The randomness of the humming birds also meant I literally couldn't dodge a lot of the time - you should have one or two patterns for that. Plus Ryan seemed to enjoy bolting across the room at mach speed a lot of the time, jeez.

Very fun and I really really hope you make more. A full game would be a God send.

I didn't really focus on making the game hard as much as I have in making things easier from a very hard start =P Such as reducing the amount of uh's, reducing the tracking on them, increasing the space between the sets, etc. The birds also used to be completely random but I've changed things around so that there should always be enough space between any two consecutive birds to be able to avoid them. . . though I can see situations where if you're not in a good position to start dodging the birds, you may be fucked =P His moving around is also pretty predictable as he only travels in one direction during the dash and during which he will predictably bounce off the walls -_-;;

@Baltimore said:

Maybe for version 1.13 you could add a WUSS mode? Make the boss fights a bit easier.

Considering difficulty selection.

@EnduranceFun said:

Went back, beat Ryan fair and square. More please!

I definitely better understand the deliberate pacing and can see the work put into how the boss feels. It's a little ill thought out, though - this would be great for a full game, but if you intended only to do one or two boss fights, it's jarring to be thrown into this hard boss fight where only a fully activated jump gets you onto the platforms and a slide is needed to evade attacks, two necessary elements needed to survive. However, full game would be great. I dare think of what levels would look like.

You guys tell me when you can perfect run Ry Man.

Lol, yea, it's pretty much "YOU'RE FUCKING IN IT!" right from the start =P I changed the platforms so you don't necesarrily have to be at a full peak jump to make it, but since people seem to be having some issues jumping up, I may just go ahead and either lower the platforms a bit, or not make them pass throughable. Maybe I'll throw in a steam code into the ending for anyone who can perfect Ryddok because as good as I feel I am, I sure as hell can't do it.

@Ubersmake said:

Duder, this is pretty awesome.

Thank you =)

@Bobby_The_Great said:

@Fobwashed: Definitely downloading it. You sir, are a master class act.

Let me know what you think! what could be better and such and such.

@Superfriend said:

Wow, this is one of the greatest things a bomber has ever created. If you could somehow get the sourcecode out to people and turn this into some sort of open source project.. damn!

But even if it wont evolve much, it is still so freaking awesome! Thanks duder!

I'll seriously consider releasing the source once I'm done tinkering or adding. Though, there's lots of megaman clones and reskins out there that're prolly easier to use than straight up the code I'm writing.

@Rxanadu said:

Well, that was fast. I've downloaded it, but haven't played it yet, so I'll hold out judgement on the game until then. Thank you regardless.

Give me some feedback when you finish =)

I've pretty much all but decided to add another boss match so please go vote for your favorite staff member here. Polling closes tomorrow morning at which point I'll start brainstorming the match =P

#138 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

Lol, yea, it's pretty much "YOU'RE FUCKING IN IT!" right from the start =P I changed the platforms so you don't necesarrily have to be at a full peak jump to make it, but since people seem to be having some issues jumping up, I may just go ahead and either lower the platforms a bit, or not make them pass throughable. Maybe I'll throw in a steam code into the ending for anyone who can perfect Ryddok because as good as I feel I am, I sure as hell can't do it.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED (I don't really want the steam code, just the satisfaction of perfecting a Megaman boss.)

#139 Posted by Rxanadu (509 posts) -

I found the game played well. From what little I've played of the Megaman series, I found the game to be good. Unfortunately, this also means I didn't get near to beating Ryddok, so I'm not sure if the hummingbots (as I've come to call them) will feed off of Rydokk to give him health or invulnerability for as long as it's on his face/mask.

As for the poll, I'd be surprised if Vinny wasn't included. Maybe have a special guest appearance from either Matt Rorie or Brad Muir.

#140 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

So I tried to perfect the boss for about two hours. After 300 attempts, the cheap, unavoidable situations you can get in finally got to me and I had to stop before I threw my fucking controller through my monitor. It's not impossible to perfect the boss. In fact, my closest attempt had him down to three shots left. Instead, the whole fight is a dice roll: You either get super lucky with his patterns, or he acts incredibly random and fucks you over several hundred times killing your run. Some of the issues I ran into:

Issue 1: He can dash into you as soon as the fight starts faster than you can move. I lost about 15 attempts to this. Sometimes you can slide away, but then he ricochets off the wall and directly into you before your slide can finish. It's incredibly annoying and ruined way too many runs before they even began.

My solution: would there be a way to have him start the fight the same every way? Like always start with his mind bullets?

Issue 2: He can attack you while the birds are on screen, creating situations where you can't move and are forced to take damage. He can shoot his mind shots at you, dash around the screen randomly (usually directly into you), or just hover directly above you preventing you from jumping over anything or reaching the higher platforms.

My solution: would there be any way to prevent him from moving and/or attacking while the birds are on screen?

Issue 3: The bird patterns are still way too random. This is the issue I had before, and it's still here. Megaman can only jump over two birds horizontally and vertically. Any more and he lands directly on top of them. More often than not, the patterns involve 3-4 birds in a row, some low enough or spread out where you can neither slide nor jump over them. Combine this with some birds that fly ahead of this group and Rydok being a dick, preventing your movement at all. There's no way to tell where the birds will be, either. You either guess right and pick the path with less birds, pick wrong and have like 10 of them blocking your every move, or have both halves of the room cut off.

My solution: Randomize what side they appear on, but only have it either be the top section, or the bottom section. Not both.

Issue 4: There is no tell on his dash or bullets that wrap back around. His other two attacks, the regular shot and humming birds both have tells. And even if the humming birds have issues, you know it's coming and you can try to avoid it. With his dash, he'll be moving normally and the OH WAIT NO HE DASHED DIRECTLY INTO YOU. And again, this happens a lot right after he summons the birds. As for the homing shots, they're less of an issue, but a lot of the time they'd go off screen, and then wrap back around with me even seeing it.

My solution: Add a small tell to his dash attack? I don't want to see it completely removed since it keeps you alert, but as it is right now it's his most cheap attack. Also, maybe color the shots that are going to wrap back around a different color, like yellow or red? (red might be too hard to see against the purple background). This way you can expect it instead of having to guess.

I'm only bringing this up because I'm enjoying the game, but trying to perfect Rydok really makes the flaws in the fight stand out. He's beatable through normal play, but while skill helps in the fight, it relies too much on the RNG.

...also I'm a masochist and will probably keep trying until I get that perfect. I want it now.

#141 Posted by Ministry4390 (52 posts) -

Dude, really amazing stuff!

#142 Edited by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

MOTHERFUCKING RYDOK AIN'T SHIT! FUCK RYAN DAVIS! (I will never be able to do this again. This took 430 attempts and my soulllllllllllll.)

#143 Edited by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee: HOLY SHIT DUDE! :O

Amazing job! Also loved your post on the last page. This is really good stuff but I think it could be designed better to accommodate that obsessive nature of MegaMan play, going for perfect runs and so on. Right now it's... a bit insane to say the least.

#144 Posted by Fobwashed (2119 posts) -

@Morbid_Coffee said:

So I tried to perfect the boss for about two hours. After 300 attempts, the cheap, unavoidable situations you can get in finally got to me and I had to stop before I threw my fucking controller through my monitor. It's not impossible to perfect the boss. In fact, my closest attempt had him down to three shots left. Instead, the whole fight is a dice roll: You either get super lucky with his patterns, or he acts incredibly random and fucks you over several hundred times killing your run. Some of the issues I ran into:

Issue 1: He can dash into you as soon as the fight starts faster than you can move. I lost about 15 attempts to this. Sometimes you can slide away, but then he ricochets off the wall and directly into you before your slide can finish. It's incredibly annoying and ruined way too many runs before they even began.

My solution: would there be a way to have him start the fight the same every way? Like always start with his mind bullets?

Issue 2: He can attack you while the birds are on screen, creating situations where you can't move and are forced to take damage. He can shoot his mind shots at you, dash around the screen randomly (usually directly into you), or just hover directly above you preventing you from jumping over anything or reaching the higher platforms.

My solution: would there be any way to prevent him from moving and/or attacking while the birds are on screen?

Issue 3: The bird patterns are still way too random. This is the issue I had before, and it's still here. Megaman can only jump over two birds horizontally and vertically. Any more and he lands directly on top of them. More often than not, the patterns involve 3-4 birds in a row, some low enough or spread out where you can neither slide nor jump over them. Combine this with some birds that fly ahead of this group and Rydok being a dick, preventing your movement at all. There's no way to tell where the birds will be, either. You either guess right and pick the path with less birds, pick wrong and have like 10 of them blocking your every move, or have both halves of the room cut off.

My solution: Randomize what side they appear on, but only have it either be the top section, or the bottom section. Not both.

Issue 4: There is no tell on his dash or bullets that wrap back around. His other two attacks, the regular shot and humming birds both have tells. And even if the humming birds have issues, you know it's coming and you can try to avoid it. With his dash, he'll be moving normally and the OH WAIT NO HE DASHED DIRECTLY INTO YOU. And again, this happens a lot right after he summons the birds. As for the homing shots, they're less of an issue, but a lot of the time they'd go off screen, and then wrap back around with me even seeing it.

My solution: Add a small tell to his dash attack? I don't want to see it completely removed since it keeps you alert, but as it is right now it's his most cheap attack. Also, maybe color the shots that are going to wrap back around a different color, like yellow or red? (red might be too hard to see against the purple background). This way you can expect it instead of having to guess.

I'm only bringing this up because I'm enjoying the game, but trying to perfect Rydok really makes the flaws in the fight stand out. He's beatable through normal play, but while skill helps in the fight, it relies too much on the RNG.

...also I'm a masochist and will probably keep trying until I get that perfect. I want it now.

V 1.14 changes fix most of your issues.

1: Ryddok AI will not start until Mega Man is able to be controlled so even with an immediate charge towards the character, you should now have enough time to get out of the way. It might still be hard, but it's possible =P Strange that I never ran into that during my own testing and only noticed it after you mentioned it.

2: I personally sort of like that you have to pay attention to the birds along with the bullets occasionally. So what I ended up doing was insuring that the birds are more varied between each other vertically to allow a Mega Man worth of space in between any two concurrent birds. Also, birds are also now spaced out a little more horizontally giving you a little more breathing room in between them as well.

3: The fix to 2 should alleviate most issues with the birds. The side they appear on was and is from behind whichever way Ryddok is facing, and he is always facing the player during the summon.

4: Every bullet operates the same way. It's just a matter of whether or not you're too close to him to give the bullets enough time to swerve back towards you. I put this in originally to prevent the player from just jumping right over Ryddok for easy bullet evades. I do sort of want to change the graphic for his bullets though to make them a bit more visible.

I'm considering adding a slight charge before he starts his dash attack, and maybe a different graphic for when he's dashing, but it's kinda on the back burner at the moment. I'm mainly working on something else and now tinkering with some planning for a Vinny Boss in my spare time =P Maybe once that's finished, I'll dig back into the meat and bones of this fight including a proper level.

@Ministry4390 said:

Dude, really amazing stuff!

Thanks =)

@EnduranceFun said:

@Morbid_Coffee: HOLY SHIT DUDE! :O

Amazing job! Also loved your post on the last page. This is really good stuff but I think it could be designed better to accommodate that obsessive nature of MegaMan play, going for perfect runs and so on. Right now it's... a bit insane to say the least.

Should be a bit easier (more fair) to beat now =P and Congrats to Morbid for the perfect run -_-;; Even I haven't done that yet =P Looks like I'll have to make Vinny even harder to beat. . .

New version is up. Includes the fixes mentioned above including full collision for platforms. It'll maybe make it a little bit harder but I noticed that I haven't seen any other MM games where you can jump through shit soooooo. . . I should stick to the original source a little more =P

#146 Posted by Morbid_Coffee (955 posts) -

@Fobwashed said:

Looks like I'll have to make Vinny even harder to beat. . .

Looking forward to it. I have more soul left to lose for self gratification.

Also don't take my gripes as complaints against the game. Most of them just stem from trying to do a perfect run, and as I said, it plays pretty great when you're not trying to be a perfectionist. The lack of a tell on the dash is pretty much the only legitimate gripe.

#147 Posted by EnduranceFun (1114 posts) -

I may drop some boss ideas in here at some point. Look out yo.

#148 Edited by freakin9 (1151 posts) -

FUCK RYAN DAVIS!

jesus, that's a overly hard first boss.

nice work though.

#149 Posted by freakin9 (1151 posts) -

Ah, overly hard because it's the ONLY boss ;) I see, I see.

#150 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Ryan needed a knife attack that wen UGH UGH UGH UGH