Mercenaries 2: World in Shame

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By xxNBxx

How many of you have played this game but found that some missions are broken due to all the flaws?  (bad controls, bad AI,  random bugs, bad physics)

This game was delayed?  You think with all that extra time they could have fixed it.   I can't believe how pissed i am over the game.   All i have to say is Thank goodness for Gamefly, cause this game is going back tomorrow.

ZombieHunterOG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ZombieHunterOG

all i have heard you complain about was one mission and your problem with it was that it was hard why not state some real issues hmmm? 

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By HandsomeDead

I 'ho-ho!'-ed at the title. Very clever. I like it.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By BiggerBomb

I decided to step away from this one after seeing some of the footage. Mercs 2 seems to be trying too hard to mix Just Cause and GTA, but failing miserably. Pandemic really dropped the ball here and forgot what Mercs was really all about.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By DualReaver

Yeah they forgot about bombing stuff using the air as fuel. >:C

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By xxNBxx
ZombieHunter said:
"all i have heard you complain about was one mission and your problem with it was that it was hard why not state some real issues hmmm? "

Fine you want me to write a fill article on why it’s Shameful? 

Merc2 is a mess of Technical problems that make the game overly frustrating.   

AI in the game is useless, you spend a min or so getting a few of your AI buddies into a vehicle because they are so dumb they can't find the door.  Even if you do get them in they are about as helpful as screen door on a sub.  Half the time they don't shoot at enemies, the other half they don't hit anything.  In one instance I tried to get a few of them in a APC,  I came to a full stop, honked the horn,  and the AI came up to the APC rammed himself into it and then called for Backup saying that I attacked him...

The Quick time battles are another part of the game that becomes a problem.  You go to hijack a Chopper and one false move and you’re sent falling 40 feet to the ground in Havoc 1 physic style.  The way they set up some of the quick time battles are less then stellar.  In one case they have you fight over a nad by rapidly taping one button, then to ”spice things up"  you are prompted to hit another half the time your pressing to fast you accidentally hit the wrong button and are kicked off the vehicle.  You have to memorize every vehicles Quick time which is more frustrating than rewarding.  Should have just left it the way it was in the first

Graphics are dated.  Everything in this game looks like a game that could have been released 2 years ago.   Things don't look nearly as good as they should.  The destructible buildings don't take damage like they should. 

Voice acting ranges from piss poor to barely passable.

The controls are another part of the game that frustrates.  Driving any vehicle is not fun.  Calling any air strike that isn'tlaser guided isn't as helpful as it could be.   So I am going to call in a Fuel- air bomb and I throw the beacon only 15 feet from me?  Great idea...   Just calling any kind of support is a pain.  You can't do anything as your calling in support, so you become a stationary target for the somehow super accurate enemy AI.  (One time I had an enemy APC Turn on a dime and fire their mounted cannon and blew me up a block away.)    Just the ways the controls are set up are annoying.  Like the guys said on BC.  A button to accelerate b to stop and go in reverse is an out dated control method. 

Weapons don't feel fulfilling to shoot, either you’re not accurate enough or they just seem weak.  The AI is amazingly resistant to bullets (even guns on vehicles) but very weak to a punch, and explosions.  It takes 2 shots to the head with a sniper rifle to take out someone.

I have had the game Crash on me a few times in the middle of a mission.  Anytime you have to do a mission over is a pain cause you have to travel for 5 mins to get to objective, and if you die or something goes wrong (which it will) guess what? That’s right you have to drive that 5 mins all over again.

The physic as I said before look old, bodies go flying and their limbs are twisted in pretzel like shapes.  Your character seems to be the biggest example of it because you land like you’re a rag doll only to get up and walk like nothing happened.

I won't even go into the story because it’s not worth writing about, but that’s something I didn't think was going to be a selling point anyways.

In the beginning you will feel that this game is ok, with some flaws, but when you get later in the game and so many things can go wrong you will find yourself having less and less fun. In the end the game is shameful cause most of these things seem like they could have been fixed, but EA just wanted it out the door.   Too Human may have had its problems but compared to Mercs 2 its game of the year.  (Not really saying that Too Human should be game of the year just saying for effect)

Edit: just wanted to add a few other things like sometimes when you call in for vehicles the Chopper pilot flys passed you and doesn't drop anything.  I have had other times where he landed only to disapper in both cases you loss your support item.  If you try to call in a air strike and get hit you don't loss the air strike but you loss some money.  (not a big thing cause money is not that hard to get, its just a pain in the ass.)  One last thing,  If you fail the mission as someone is calling in for back up there is a chance that they will finish the call and you will be attacked where you spawn.  On top of that your friends attack them after they distroy them you loss all your good rating with your friends and fail the mission again.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tekmojo

Applause.

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Psynapse

pwned... why don't you put that as a review for mercs xxNBxx

hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By hazelnutman

I came to this thread for the clever name.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xxNBxx
Psynapse said:
"pwned... why don't you put that as a review for mercs xxNBxx"

yeah i guess i will
insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By insanejedi

Aaron Thomas? Is that you?

Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Clean

my friend bought it and said the game is unfinished. He said the story in the game is really flat - out stupid.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By xxNBxx
insanejedi said:
"Aaron Thomas? Is that you?"

LOL
dam i been found out.
How did you know? 
Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Metasin

fight over a nad?

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I still think its not that bad of a game. I've played worse.  Sure, there are a lot of bugs and it definitely should of been delayed (even more) rather than releasing an unfinished product, but I still play it. 
I'm also glad I only rented it, but none-the-less I'll enjoy it as long as I can.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

Yes it has some problems...and it feels mostly like a PS2 game, but still I think it has plenty in it(mainly in the explosions being great) to make almost anyone that plays it have at least some fun in it..definitely better than Too Human.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

The dialogue in this game is pitiful.

Someone in the IRC said it nicely, Mercenaries 2: Script in Flames.

Avatar image for captainslick911
captainslick911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By captainslick911
diehard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By diehard

Glad I didn't invest in it's purchase.

imHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By imHunt

This was an excellent review. The only suggestion I had was to maybe list some of the parts where you had fun, but were overshadowed by the major flaws. That would eliminate some of the apparent bias. Just a suggestion. Good review overall. 4.5/5

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xxNBxx
imHunt said:
"This was an excellent review. The only suggestion I had was to maybe list some of the parts where you had fun, but were overshadowed by the major flaws. That would eliminate some of the apparent bias. Just a suggestion. Good review overall. 4.5/5"
it really wasn't meant to be a review but i can add some of the things you suggested to make it one.    I think the worst thing about the game is I started to like it at one point.  Its like marrying someone only to have them turn into a Asshole after and make your life a living hell.  lol
Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Wolswor

Ahh, this game's only redeeming quality was co-op, and even then the bugs were just inexcusable.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By REforever101

I'm actually enjoying the crap out of this game. I'm barely noticing a lot of the flaws to be perfectly honest. It's just too much fun

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jayge_
pause422 said:
"Yes it has some problems...and it feels mostly like a PS2 game, but still I think it has plenty in it(mainly in the explosions being great) to make almost anyone that plays it have at least some fun in it..definitely better than Too Human."
Deeeeeefinitely not.
GP1Mil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GP1Mil

I have it on PS3 and I'm about 70% done currently, yes the dialogue is awful shit, AI is not the brightest but I usually use them as a meat shield for all the tanks and enemy RPG guys, I do agree the Havoc engine can be awful at time where your cars or whatever randomly flip over for no damn reason and explode.

The PC port is even worse the graphics suck it looks like muddy buffalo diarrhea all over my screen it only supports a max rez of 1024x768, which is what like 2001 max rez???? the sky turns multiple colors of blue for no reason which makes baby jesus cries when that happens .

When all is said and done this game is decent for blowing random shit up with lots of explosives

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I'm surprised it got 3/5 stars here at GB.  It's too bad the game is jacked. From the description of it, it sounds like it would've been a lot of fun to play. I guess I'll wait til it hits the 'bins to look at it. If you want comfort, know you that this game is probably still better than Turning Point: Fall of Liberty.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By Cube

Clever title.