Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection... Buy it Now!

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

For Christmas, one of the items I added on my wish list was the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection. I'd never played a MGS game EVER, but the gameplay looked awesome, and so when I unwrapped one of my presents on Christmas, and I found the Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, I was eager to begin playing, and when I popped the disc on, I wasn't really impressed. Sons of Liberty was REALLY boring, but now, looking back, I regret my opinion. I think it's such a great collection, and worth the money, and if you haven't bought it yet, then PLEASE do so!

The series is best for newcomers, and it packages Eight complete games! Here are the games in the collection:

Metal Gear (1987): The first Metal Gear Solid game, this one is an 8-bit. I chose to skip it, but if you'd like to play it, then go ahead. It is accessible through the MGS3 game menu.

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1990): The second Metal Gear Solid game, this one is STILL and 8-bit, but it improves vastly on the first one. I chose to skip it, but go ahead and play it if you would like. Accessible through the MGS3 game menu.

Metal Gear Solid (1998): This is where the Metal Gear Solid REALLY becomes great. The story is rich, and this is one of the games that makes this collection worth it. I played some, but decided to read the digital graphic novel for it, and it truly has one of the most elaborate stories. GREAT GAME FOR ITS TIME!

Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions (1998): 300 complete VR missions for Metal Gear Solid. Haven't played, but I might get back to it sometime.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001): This was my first Metal Gear game that I played from start to finish. It is constructed with a rich, consistent story, and I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Also, the twist/surprise makes it worth the play.

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (2004): The second Metal Gear game I completed from beginning to end, this is a prequel to the earlier games. It's enjoyable, but It's my least favourite Metal Gear game. The graphics are great, and it's worth the play.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of The Patriots (2008): I still haven't finished this game, but I'm almost half way through. IMHO, this is the greatest game EVER! Really enjoyable.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (2010): This is a sequel to Snake Eater, and whilst I haven't begun it yet, it still looks promising. You play as Big Boss!

And those are the 8 games packaged into this great collection, which was worth every cent. The collection also comes with a Blu-Ray Digital Graphic Novel for Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Also, it comes with a sexy art book. So, yeah, if you're a newcomer, then get it. It's a great collection, and playing all of the games is a great experience. Check Portable Ops and Portable Ops Plus out, as well as Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, as well as Metal Gear Acid and Metal Gear Acid 2.

Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain are coming out this year, and they both look amazing. So, yeah, get the collection. It's worth the money, and it's great fun. Play it from beginning to end. Thx.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By bigjeffrey

Phantom Pain is 2015 or 2016.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigjeffrey: No it's not. Check Wikipedia and EB games. It's 2014.

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@miko1222: Those are not very reliable sources. There were recent reports stating that Phantom Pain is coming 2015 at the earliest, maybe late 2015 or 2016.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigjeffrey
glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be a better sales pitch if you had played all of them...which kinda makes the "playing all of the games is a great experience" bit odd, when you've only finished two of the eight games. Now the only one that seems "worth" buying is MGS4, which is apparently(?) the best game ever. Can probably get that for cheaper than the collection.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

MGS2 still holds up, and the graphics also hold up, it was one of those early 2000s games to use toon shader especially on the BGs and simplify the geometry into almost lego like. It's such a crisp game.

If you can hunt it down, look for Documents of MGS2, has lots of pre vis concept work like paint brush style.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery said:

Could be a better sales pitch if you had played all of them...which kinda makes the "playing all of the games is a great experience" bit odd, when you've only finished two of the eight games. Now the only one that seems "worth" buying is MGS4, which is apparently(?) the best game ever. Can probably get that for cheaper than the collection.

I would say MGS4 is probably the best playing MGS thus far but in terms of overall quality, Snake Eater/Subsistence still ranks higher for me. If Peace Walker hadn't been striped of some of the mechanics from previous games (such as crawling or moving against walls), that would've been my favourite playing MGS.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Krullban

@miko1222 said:

I'm gonna believe Wikipedia and EB Games over Konami.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Quarters

@miko1222 said:

Konami admitting Ground Zeroes is a bit short, MGS5 could be released in FY3/2015 or FY3/2016 depending on the development stage

— David Gibson (@gibbogame) February 6, 2014

Konami made the statement during a conference in Japan

FY3/2015: April 2014 - March 2015

FY3/2016: April 2015 - March 2016

Yeah, no way it's this year for TPP. Kojima's been pretty clear that it's going to be a while. That's why Ground Zeroes is even coming out now.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By Yummylee

That entire OP is just... wow.

Also, why is this marked as a question? And you even put it in the wrong forum board, too.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King

You might not want to skip the first two Metal Gears. They still play a role in the later games, 2 especially.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By hermes

Regardless of your opinion of the original games, how are the ports?

I consider buying it some time ago, but given the history of Konami with HD ports (see ZOE and SH), I decided to hold it.

SharkEthic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By SharkEthic

As a guy that takes all my Metal Gear advice from dudes who have only completed 2 games in the entire series, I give this thread my warmest recommendations!

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have the MGS HD collection, made it through Sons of Liberty a while ago, mean to get back to Peace walker.

I am starting to think this Ground zeroes/ Phantom Pain BS is a damn hype scam. I could accept maybe if Phantom Pain was at latest very early 2015...Jan or Feb. But I am not calling the shots.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vierastalo: You can laugh at me all you want, but a majority of this people didn't care that I chose to skip those games. My choice, and I still enjoyed the series.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glottery: Yeah, well, I chose to skip the first two games since I found them a bit difficult to complete, as I kept on missing the key card, but I read up on some info from those two games. The third one, I got stuck in the second boss fight, and I didn't have the required equipment to take the tank down. And, you guys could say 'oh, he's only played/completed 2 games' but i'm actually half way through the third, and so I think I can make a great judgement of how epic the series is.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mgs3 is your least favorite what the actual fuck

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes: The ports are great, and Sons of Liberty and Snake Eater are ported into the PS3 greatly. The games have aged really well, and if you can get used to the camera of Sons of Liberty, then you should have a great experience. Snake Eater has aged greatly. I recommend you get this collection.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@miko1222 said:

The third one, I got stuck in the second boss fight, and I didn't have the required equipment to take the tank down.

Don't they give you an abundance of grenades and chaff grenades prior to and during the boss fight? I'm pretty sure they are on the corners of the north exit.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@probablytuna: Yeah, but, unfortunetly, if you miss them, you can't really go back, and the door leading you back is sealed off.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@artelinarose: Yeah, it's my least favourite. Have a problem with that? Well, you shouldn't. We all have our own opinions, and you have to respect mine. You think Snake Eater is the best MGS game? Fine. I respect that. Do you have any reason not to respect my opinion? If you do have a reason, then what is it? I'd like to hear it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vierastalo: Also, it's not JUST that I didn't bother to play those games. Bear in mind I got the collection at the 25th December 2013, and MGS: Ground Zeroes is set to be released 20th March 2014. You really think I could best 8 games in the span of 86 days. Bear in mind I live in a house with many siblings, so I have to share the TV... ALOT, and I do go on trips sometimes, and Metal Gear Legacy Collection isn't portable. You must believe i'm some sort of god to be able to finish 8 games in 86, AND go to school on time for 6 hours AND share the TV with my siblings AND have to deal with the complex nature of those first 3 Metal Gear games. I just think I have to clear this up, because i'm obviously getting a lot of hate for not finishing those games. Oh, AND homework. Honestly, you seem like a guy who has too much time on your hands, and expect everyone to be able to complete 8 games in such little time.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Quarters

@hermes said:

Regardless of your opinion of the original games, how are the ports?

I consider buying it some time ago, but given the history of Konami with HD ports (see ZOE and SH), I decided to hold it.

It's actually one of the more solid HD Collection's around. MGS3 is especially improved, as it has a rock solid framerate now, which was killing it a bit before. MGS2 has the least difference, as it already ran well. Just sharper textures and such. Peace Walker actually looks pretty great, certainly not completely out of place with the other two(more comparable to MGS2), and it is a fun game. Not my favorite of the series, but enjoyable. Regardless, they are all very well done on the technical scale. Great ports, and probably the best way to play the games. The only real drawback is that MGS3 doesn't have the nightmare sequence anymore, I guess for copyright reasons or whatever. That's the only real difference, however. MGS3 does come with MG1, MG2, and the cutscene viewer though, so that makes up for a bit. Also, MGS3 doesn't have Metal Gear Online, but that's not surprising. Peace Walker still has multiplayer though.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By WalkerD

You've only played half of MGS4 and you call it the best game EVER. You seem to have skipped all but two games and you seemingly didn't even really like one of those. What is this? What are you?

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By miko1222

@walkerd: Actually, I DID like Snake Eater. It just wasn't my favourite.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Man,this thread. I needed a good laugh.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Yeah, honestly, I kind of regret putting this one up. Mostly because of idiots who will slam me for skipping the first couple of games. I mean, do you guys really think I could finish 8 games from December 25-March 20. NO.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vierastalo: Don't be an idiot. You're actually laughable. You seem to laugh at me for skipping the first 3 games, but you do know Hideo Kojima said that he would recommend MGS3 as a starting game for anyone new to the series, right here - http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/28/hideo-kojima-recommends-starting-with-metal-gear-solid-3-as-your-first/

That's to all of you jerks who can't respect any one man's decision.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

How can Phantom Pain come out if Kojima doesn't even know the ending yet? He is probably taking a dump on his high tech japanese toilet writing it on the wall. Big Boss gets his nuts chopped off.

Avatar image for differenceengine
DifferenceEngine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This would have been cool and all, but Kojima's choice to make MGS4 a PS3 exclusive was him telling millions of other gamers that he didn't want their business. I'm happy not to give it to him.

obcdexter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Rich, consistent thread. Really great. Worth my time. Haven't finished reading it yet; but I definitely consider maybe checking out the graphic novel of it later and then read the sequel straight away.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WalkerD

@miko1222: He likely recommends playing MGS3 first because it's chronologically the first game.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkerd: Please read the article I posted. Here's what Hideo said:

I often get asked “which title one should play if haven’t done MGS series?”. Play MGS3 as control is more modern, if you liked it then MGS4.

MGS1+2 has camera w/ bird-eye view. If you want to learn the story, then just read the novel.

I’d suggest [Peace Walker] for younger gen, but its hard to play solo unless you do Co-op w/ PSP/online. Hard boss battle if u like to take time and play

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By RonGalaxy

I have purchased metal gear solid 3 at least 5 times. First copy broke, second copy was fine, 3rd was to buy subsistance, 4th was the ps3 collection, fifth was the vita collection. I have purchased Mgs 2 4 times. Probably will be purchasing MGS4 for a second time. Metal Gear is the only series I can think of where I have double dipped to such an extent.

I don't regret it. Not one bit... Definitely one of my favorite game series ever. Maybe even my favorite.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By RonGalaxy

@miko1222: Wait if MGS3 is your least favorite, why is MGS3 snake your user icon?

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Urgh, that collection is terrible. So sad too, it's so promising all the way up to mgs4, but then you see peacewalker on there and everything before it means nothing.

On a more serious note, that's probably a good collection to get considering ground zeroes is coming out really soon. One could also just play through the game chronologically if they wanted, mgs3 straight into ground zeroes, then wait for phantom pain, mgs1, mgs2, mgs4.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@miko1222: You shouldn't regret posting this. It has good info about the collection that I didn't know before, so thanks for that. :) You shouldn't let other posts bother you so much. Who cares if you played a game or not or liked one more than the other? It's your time and your personal opinion and you made that clear in your post.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@legend: Thanks for that. You're one of the good people on this site. Hope you considered getting the collection.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TruthTellah

@miko1222: I already have the HD remakes and the originals; so, won't be getting the legacy collection. But glad to hear you found it so enjoyable. :)

(and next to 1 and 3, Peace Walker is my favorite)

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Thanks. Yeah, it was really enjoyable. Anyways, why is everyone understanding me SO wrong. I said Snake Eater is my least favourite, but it was still great. Great refined gameplay. Great characterisation and progression. Great mission layouts. Nevertheless, I respect your choices for your favourite games in the series. Anyways, how is PW? In your opinion, is it better then 4?

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

@miko1222: Yeah as soon as I see a good deal on it, I'll be getting it for sure.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By TruthTellah

@miko1222 said:

@truthtellah: Thanks. Yeah, it was really enjoyable. Anyways, why is everyone understanding me SO wrong. I said Snake Eater is my least favourite, but it was still great. Great refined gameplay. Great characterisation and progression. Great mission layouts. Nevertheless, I respect your choices for your favourite games in the series. Anyways, how is PW? In your opinion, is it better then 4?

ha. Well, the games have a lot of strong opinions surrounding them; so, it's natural with MGS stuff. I actually liked MGS4 the least(mainly because of the end), but from what you've said of the other games, I can understand why you might enjoy most of it.

I really liked Peace Walker, more than MGS4(they're pretty different though), and it's necessary if you're excited about MGS V. PW is basically the followup to MGS3 and comes right before MGS V. I just enjoyed its gameplay and particularly story. It just presents awesome times with Big Boss and a great Cold War feel. I love the style and most everything about it. ha.

miko1222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@truthtellah: Can't wait to play it! I'm more then halfway through MGS4.