• 61 results
#51 Posted by Sentry (4197 posts) -

Big success IMO, especially with PS3 not having as big of an installed base (year late), so its a good number IMO. Isn't almost a million units from one game good? :P

Either way I dont care, MGS4 was amazing and whether it sells amazingly or not, the game was, and I know that, you know that, everyone knows that.

#52 Posted by Met2609 (555 posts) -

740,000 Units is only the United States. That doesn't count Japan, Europe, or other assorted countries. Also, it's in half a month since MGS4 came out on the 12th. It's not going to sell like Halo did, but I didn't necessarily expect it to. I'm happy with the sales so far, and I'm even happier with the game itself.

#53 Posted by Mattzz10 (496 posts) -

1.  These numbers are only the U.S. sales
2. These do not count games sold in the bundle.
3. This game helped the ps3 sell almost 2x the xbox in june, this game has also sold at least 2 million worldwide so far.

#54 Edited by Leone (145 posts) -
BlackWaterCO said:
"Compared to games like COD4 (11 million) and Halo 3 (9 million)

Yeah, but its okay

The PS3 install base is still small, just gotta give it time"
To be fair, to compare it against Call of Duty 4, you'd have to look at only PS3 sales, seeing as how COD4 is multiplatform, but MGS4 isn't

As for Halo 3, the 360 install base was bigger, and you have to admit that the 360 market is probably a little more homogeneous than the Playstation 3's- so it was an easier title to market and move and because of that is one of the fastest selling entertainment IP's to date. I mean, it sold about, 3.3 million in the first two weeks, give or take.

*just realized there was a link on the second page, ignore this* I thought Europe moved somewhere near 1 million day one/launch weekend.

I mean, the fact of the matter is given the Playstation 3's install base, if it moved that many copies, it is doing pretty well- and that's not counting bundle sales apparently, which I happen to be a part of >.>

#55 Posted by ParadoxControl (168 posts) -

I wouldn't say that's to low for a MGS game. Really, that series isn't the kind that covers a wide spectrum, it doesn't appeal to a large multiplayer community like Halo 3 and CoD4. In an increasingly more connected world, MGS4 shuts everyone out. MGS Online can be bought separately and isn't exactly held in the highest regards when it comes to Multi Player Shooters. On top of all this is the story. Sure, it may be one of the best story's told as far as video games go, but this is the 4th installment in one of the most complicated story's I've ever known. People are not going to go out and buy the 3rd game in a series that isn't about online multiplayer if they never played the first two. They would be completely lost while trying to play it. Again, games like CoD4 are not a continuation of a story over 4 games, but instead is a series of games that fallow a smiler theme. Halo 3 is known for its online multiplayer, there are probably (my self included) people who bought it only for that purpose and have never played through the last two games in the series.

#56 Posted by Wasdie (14 posts) -

Well its not all that bad...

#57 Posted by Locke (330 posts) -

I swear I remember reading something about this game selling over 2 million. I must be going crazy.

#58 Posted by Bkorns4 (129 posts) -
I_smell said:
"Y'know what'd make it sell more? If I could buy it for 360. Then it'd sell at least one more for sure, cos I'd buy it.
"
Yeah, cause i'd much rather have the game on 10 discs.
#59 Posted by suneku (2997 posts) -

oh well I still love it

#60 Posted by BigEd88 (12 posts) -

I don't think it's that bad.  The game did ship over 3 million units within the first week or two.

#61 Posted by JNYR (112 posts) -

I didn't think it would sell as much as a GTA4 or Halo 3 anyway.  MGS4 is not nearly as casual friendly. I think Killzone 2 or Resistance 2 will sell a lot more.