fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By fflyash
Link
Finally. Hopefully his successor is more reasonable.
dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By dopeman
Best news all month.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

* turns on music* Oh, joyous day! No more shall Australia gamers suffer under the wrath of one such as Atkinson! Granted, they must still suffer under the trolling of Ben Yahtzee Croshaw, but that is a problem for another day. Huzzah! All that need be done now is for someone to propose the introduction of an M or R18 or whatever rating for Australian video games, and finally, they can experience what they should have experienced for quite some time!

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe the poor Aussies will get an 18+ rating now.

Avatar image for deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d
deactivated-6406b1cb85b6d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

We may have to postpone our celebrations as the article states he ain't going until 2014.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Well the bad news is that he's still with until 2014. Xob, I don't think we'll need an R18+ anymore if the next guy is not trying to do the job which is assigned to the censorship board.

CannonGoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CannonGoose

Thank God. Hopefully someone reasonable takes his place!

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@SeriouslyNow said:
" Well the bad news is that he's still with until 2014. Xob, I don't think we'll need an R18+ anymore if the next guy is not trying to do the job which is assigned to the censorship board. "
Wonder if this had anything to do with God of war 13 being allowed? 
Avatar image for themustachehero
TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" Well the bad news is that he's still with until 2014. Xob, I don't think we'll need an R18+ anymore if the next guy is not trying to do the job which is assigned to the censorship board. "
Wonder if this had anything to do with God of war 13 being allowed?  "
13?
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@TheMustacheHero said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
13? "
3. Sorry. lol 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
No that probably had more to do with this.  I think it's one of the many reasons he stepped down too.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
No that probably had more to do with this.  I think it's one of the many reasons he stepped down too. "
Mister " I wanna censor the internet" GAMERS UNITE! 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
No that probably had more to do with this.  I think it's one of the many reasons he stepped down too. "
Mister " I wanna censor the internet" GAMERS UNITE!  "
Mister "I'm a corrupt bastard who pays people to make fake statistical analysis papers which promote the views I want them to, yet pretend that these people are independent parties" can now go fuck himself. With a chainsaw.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
Mister "I'm a corrupt bastard who pays people to make fake statistical analysis papers which promote the views I want them to, yet pretend that these people are independent parties" can now go fuck himself. With a chainsaw. "
So why does he hate video games so much? Did one steal his high school sweet heart? 
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
Mister "I'm a corrupt bastard who pays people to make fake statistical analysis papers which promote the views I want them to, yet pretend that these people are independent parties" can now go fuck himself. With a chainsaw. "
So why does he hate video games so much? Did one steal his high school sweet heart?  "
He's a slimy political animal who works the right wing Christian vote in SA to his own ends.  I don't think he has anything personal against the vidyagaymez it's just as Attorney General he has been able to get a lot of press coverage and mileage from making showy protests against them in the benefit to himself and his party members.  It's clear it doesn't benefit the country as whole as it slows the potential for more games development on our shores nor does it benefit our standing in the world either.  I think he's been politely asked (read : kicked up the arse) to step down in 2014 because his career has been marked by claims of corruption and they will eventually all surface one day soon. 
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

We win again.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By General_D23

Well, though it might be another 4 years, hopefully those down in Australia will get a better end of the stick come then.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By oldschool

Labor just got in, and he isn't very popular, so the Premier probably asked him to step aside.   Now we will find out if he was really the problem, or just a scapegoat.    

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@oldschool said:
"   Labor just got in, and he isn't very popular, so the Premier probably asked him to step aside.   Now we will find out if he was really the problem, or just a scapegoat.     "
He was definitely the problem and he's not stepping down till 2014.  He chose to speak out against the gaming community and to run false campaigns against gaming as a socially acceptable past-time, with his funding and promoting of a completely falsified statistical analysis which was meant to prove that gaming is worse than smoking.
mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By mrfizzy
@SamuSlave said:
" We may have to postpone our celebrations as the article states he ain't going until 2014. "
Gamespot Australia is reporting that he is remaining in the parliament but because he is moving to the backbench he will be stepping down as their attorney general immediately, know its only gamespot but im guessing they got it from a reliable news source???  
Would also like to point out that the party Gamers4Croydon got 3.5% of the vote, not bad for a party that didnt exist a few months ago. Good job lads (and ladies)! 
jim_dandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jim_dandy

I'm glad, and I'm not even Australian.

ShaunassNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShaunassNZ

!!! Thumbs up for Aussie, fuckin' Aussie bastards!

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By Captain_Insano
@jim_dandy: so as an Aussie, my happiness is infinitely more palpable. This is good news for games, lets hope they reconvene a council on R18+ games sometime soon
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By shirogane

Well, that's one person to cross off my assassination list...
fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By fflyash
@mrfizzy said:
" @SamuSlave said:
" We may have to postpone our celebrations as the article states he ain't going until 2014. "
Gamespot Australia is reporting that he is remaining in the parliament but because he is moving to the backbench he will be stepping down as their attorney general immediately, know its only gamespot but im guessing they got it from a reliable news source???  Would also like to point out that the party Gamers4Croydon got 3.5% of the vote, not bad for a party that didnt exist a few months ago. Good job lads (and ladies)!  "
Here's another source.
Looks like he is stepping down from his Attorney-General position at least. he shouldn't be able to prevent an R18 rating anymore.
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By Snail

I can only imagine how joyous the aussie gamers must be right now.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By oldschool
@SeriouslyNow said:
" @oldschool said:
"   Labor just got in, and he isn't very popular, so the Premier probably asked him to step aside.   Now we will find out if he was really the problem, or just a scapegoat.     "
He was definitely the problem and he's not stepping down till 2014.  He chose to speak out against the gaming community and to run false campaigns against gaming as a socially acceptable past-time, with his funding and promoting of a completely falsified statistical analysis which was meant to prove that gaming is worse than smoking. "
I am not arguing that he was a problem, but you just never know in politics who is potentially the driver behind the scenes.  No-one is going to disagree that he is and was a douche, except for old people who hate kids on their lawns.
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By metal_mills
@SeriouslyNow said:

But he isn't the state Attorney-General anymore which is how he could stop the R18+ so it's ok.
Avatar image for royce_mccutcheon
Royce_McCutcheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Royce_McCutcheon
@SamuSlave said:

But not as Attorney-General. He'll remain in Parliament only as a backbencher. 

Postpone the optimism until his replacement is sworn in. Whoever it is could be just as fervent in anti-R18 for games as Atkinson is. Remember, the A-Gs across the country need to be unanimous in their support for the rating.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By Gabriel

Guess who just took his job  

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ninjakiller

Question @ Aussies.

Couldn't you guys just buy games off amazon/etc. and have them delivered to your home to circumvent the ban?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#33  Edited By natetodamax

Alright!

fflyash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fflyash
@ninjakiller: That works for most PS3 games. I'm pretty sure 360 games are region locked though.
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By kashif1
@Shirogane said:
" Well, that's one person to cross off my assassination list... "
who else is on it, and who have you killed so far
jondan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By jondan

This is great news :D

Rayfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Rayfield
@ninjakiller said:

"Question @ Aussies.  Couldn't you guys just buy games off amazon/etc. and have them delivered to your home to circumvent the ban? "

Yeah but that's not the point. We shouldn't be forced to do that. I bought every GTA game from online overseas sellers because they've all been edited/censored in some way in Australia. Bought GTA3, Vice City & San Andreas from New Zealand, GTA4 from the UK. It sucks. 

Manhunt was on the shelves unedited for TEN MONTHS until that mother in the UK claimed it made that kid kill her son. As the result of the media story (which was found to be false), the ratings board in Australia went back on their intial decision and banned the game from sale. THEY REVERSED THEIR OWN DECISION BECAUSE OF A FALSE MEDIA STORY IN A DIFFERENT COUNTRY. 

Atkinson was a very large obstacle in the way of this insanity coming to an end. The chances of the next South Australian Attorney General being as against or more against the R rating is very slim. 

It's happy days for Australian gamers. 

THIS FACE IS NOW DEAD TO ME! WOO!
THIS FACE IS NOW DEAD TO ME! WOO!
quirkwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By quirkwood
shirogane

Forum Posts