• 146 results
#1 Posted by Jolt92 (1579 posts) -

So I've been watching the Bonus Round on GameTrailers with Keighly, Sessler, Pachter, Satterfield and some dude from the L.A. Times that looks like he's about to piss himself any minute.

I know the bomb crew likes him, and I think most of you guys do too. But I can't stand the man, he's absolutely horrible and seems to be pulling stuff out of his ass most of the time.

I just need to know what you think of the old man. I'm sure he can be a pretty polarizing personality.

#2 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Watch and feel disgusted by this excuse of an analyst  

I'm sorry you had to sit through this.  
#3 Posted by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

Michael Pachter is a joke and I never take anything he says seriously.

#4 Posted by SadPatrol (502 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Darn! Beat me to it.

#5 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

I think he's fun to listen to regardless of whether he knows what he's talking about or not.

#6 Edited by NegativeCero (3039 posts) -

You know what? He has an amazing job if he can basically look at data and just guess things. I never watch his Gametrailers videos, so I'm indifferent towards him, so it doesn't matter to me if he's right or wrong.

#7 Posted by Drebin_893 (2933 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

I think he's fun to listen to regardless of whether he knows what he's talking about or not.
#8 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@Drebin_893 said:

@Soapy86 said:

And look, the guy is an analyst. It's his job to speculate on the financial outcomes of business moves based on historical data and other factors. That does not mean that he'll always be accurate. His job entails a lot more than sitting on camera spouting predictions.

#9 Posted by JCGamer (671 posts) -

I like him--but then, I'm getting to be an old man.

#10 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

I like him.

#11 Posted by SarjuTheRapper (278 posts) -

he reminds me of an awkward uncle or something 

swag

#12 Posted by wjb (1697 posts) -

I'm okay with him. He acts like a douche and he lets his small Internet fame go to his head sometimes, but he's still a decent guy overall.

I don't watch his show on Gametrailers, but I like his appearances on the Bonus Round or the few times he's on the Bombcast. Small doses.

#13 Posted by RockAction (373 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

#14 Posted by Benny (1955 posts) -

People constantly talk about him when does relatively little to warrant the exposure he gets. Must be doing something right.

#15 Posted by RockinKemosabe (619 posts) -

I like Michael Pachter, but he's no Jeff Green.

#16 Posted by JasonR86 (9726 posts) -

I think he's really smart, has a good personality, and is probably more right then he is wrong. If he wasn't right more then wrong he wouldn't still be an analyst. That said, because he is so open about his views, that these views are often recorded and provided for public consumption, and because he speaks off his mind rather then a script when he is wrong or says something poorly it is usually seen as a bigger deal then it should be. Plus gaming communities like to freak out about every out of place pin that drops. I know that I would hate having all of my words at work analyzed and focused on because God knows I say all sorts of things wrong all the time.

#17 Posted by Deranged (1859 posts) -

I enjoy listening to him.

#18 Posted by KaneRobot (1827 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Michael Pachter is a joke and I never take anything he says seriously.

Yep.

#19 Posted by Sbaitso (562 posts) -

He use to be a lot better than he's become since he got his own show and such. When he was just this guy he was pretty alright. But nowadays that video Ahmad posted kinda speaks for itself, even if it is just tiny snippets.

#20 Edited by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

Everyone saying he's a joke and not to take him seriously are only basing this on his predictions. Everyone can try to make predictions and be completely wrong. But his understanding of finance and how markets works is what make this guy keep his job, plus he's pretty good at explaining that part of the business and he's got a good personality as others have said. You could have any other financial analyst do the same while being a whole lot more boring to listen to.

#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13256 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Drebin_893 said:

@Soapy86 said:

And look, the guy is an analyst. It's his job to speculate on the financial outcomes of business moves based on historical data and other factors. That does not mean that he'll always be accurate. His job entails a lot more than sitting on camera spouting predictions.

Indeed. It doesn't matter to me if he's wrong half the time- I still find the thing he's got to say interesting, at least.

#22 Posted by BongChilla (234 posts) -

We cannot assume he will be the same type of personality like Jeff or Sessler, he is a business analyst so when he discusses videogames it's all speculation.

I personally find him to be very interesting and his point of view on the industry is very refreshing.

#23 Posted by JaredA (830 posts) -

There is hate for Michael Pachter? This is news to me.

I like him!

#24 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@TooWalrus said:

@Hailinel said:

@Drebin_893 said:

@Soapy86 said:

Indeed. It doesn't matter to me if he's wrong half the time- I still find the thing he's got to say interesting, at least.

Predictions are one thing, but what about blatantly making statements and making up facts that are completely wrong and ignorant? Did you watch the video I posted? 
If you're gonna say that's OK too, well, allow me make up and leave these little random FACTS down here then: 

• The Playstation 1 had 3 times the amount of RAM of the Xbox 360. Fact. 
  • It costs $6000 to purchase an Xbox 360 with a Kinect and a headset. Fact.  
  • You can get a top of the line PC including a 500 GB SSD and a GTX 590 for only $499.99. Fact.
  • The original Xbox was the first gaming machine to feature a graphics card. Fact.  
  • Personally, I play Wii games more than any other genre. 
  • Shooters were hard to play on old consoles because they are turn-based. Fact.

This is fun! Now all I need is a camera, a spot on a popular commercial website and an audience to listen to me.
#25 Posted by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

I don't like analysts period, but when he's shooting the shit on the Bombcast, he's fun to listen to.

#26 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1212 posts) -

Pachter is like a weather man. You keep being wrong but they still keep paying you. Sweet gig if you can get it.

#27 Posted by JazzyJeff (403 posts) -

Seems like an awesome guy to me!

#28 Edited by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Imma go make a 3min video highlights of all the dumb things Jeff or Ryan have said too. Or better yet, i'll browse through all your forum posts (and that's a boatload of them) and make a highlights reel out of say, 50 of them that are wrong and then proceed to smear you.

He says dumb things occasionally, as everyone does, and i've seen a ton of episodes of pach attack and the number of time i raise an eyebrow at what he says because it sounds stupid is far less than the amount of time he's provided good knowledge on the subjects he really knows.

#29 Posted by SamFo (1562 posts) -

I'm a big Pachter fan. I don't really take this stuff as seriously as most people and enjoy listening to him.

#30 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@Pr1mus said:

@AhmadMetallic: Imma go make a 3min video highlights of all the dumb things Jeff or Ryan have said too. Or better yet, i'll browse through all your forum posts (and that's a boatload of them) and make a highlights reel out of say, 50 of them that are wrong and then proceed to smear you.

He says dumb things occasionally, as everyone does, and i've seen a ton of episodes of pach attack and the number of time i raise an eyebrow at what he says because it sounds stupid is far less than the amount of time he's provided good knowledge on the subjects he really knows.

Calling PC games a genre, saying a PC costs $5000,  that Real Time Strategy games are turn based single player games, that the PS3 has more hardware power than 90% of PCs out there and the X360 more than 85%, that PC sales outside of Steam comprise 6% of industry sales...

I'll wait here, come back when you find one incident where the Giant Bomb staff or myself actually made up a completely ignorant fact with totally random numbers and confidently presented it as a reality of the industry.  
#31 Posted by ShaggE (6700 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

I'll wait here, come back when you find one incident where the Giant Bomb staff or myself actually made up a completely ignorant fact with totally random numbers and confidently presented it as a reality of the industry.

"You can't beat 100%" - Jeff "Happyhands" Gerstmann

See: Fez.

:P

#32 Posted by Ares42 (2796 posts) -

Just gotta remember that he loves to say stupid shit to piss people off. The reason he gets attention is because he's in this strange position where he's got insider information but isn't really under any threat to be cut off (unlike most journalists), so he sometimes slips out some scoops. Iirc just in last weeks BR he was talking about some of the pre-E3 event stuff that you'll never hear anyone else talk about. He's basically a "spokesperson" for the publisher viewpoint without being a complete douche.

#33 Posted by commodore64 (116 posts) -

And yet despite his knowledge of intricate videogame facts he does pretty well. It's because he knows quite a bit about videogames and even more about business and making money.

But by all means talk down to him. After all while his business sense is making him money your ability to pick up on every little mistake is earning you massive hardcore gamer cred. And that has worth in the real world....right.....RIGHT.

#34 Edited by UnrealDP (1221 posts) -

Eh, I think the dude's fine. He's got some good personality, to say the least. He's also an analyst, so sure he's sometimes off, but I've never been a offended by it.

#35 Posted by FinalDasa (2045 posts) -

Awesome opinion dude, really a great opinion.

And I completely disagree. Who cares if he predicts something and it's wrong? Who cares if he doesn't know every single fact in the world?

Don't listen to him and don't watch him. Problem solved.

Moderator Online
#36 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2107 posts) -

ARGH People have different opinions than me, and are wrong sometimes! I hate those people even if there are generally sensible and nice!

#37 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -
@commodore64 said:

@AhmadMetallic

And yet despite his knowledge of intricate videogame facts he does pretty well. It's because he knows quite a bit about videogames and even more about business and making money.

But by all means talk down to him. After all while his business sense is making him money your ability to pick up on every little mistake is earning you massive hardcore gamer cred. And that has worth in the real world....right.....RIGHT.

The barrage of blatantly ignorant statements he delivers as solid industry facts coupled with totally random percentages coming right out of his ass are little mistakes?  
And how exactly is this related to his knowledge about business? He could be the best business analyst in the world, doesn't change a damn thing about (and is in no way related to) his laughable outrageously misinformed facts. 

Also, please, spare me the pathetic attempts at trying to spin this into a "hardkoar gamer cred" kind of call-out and stick to the discussion at hand.
#38 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

@commodore64 said:

But you have to understand him, it really is difficult to just let go and accept that not everyone in the world is perfect like you!

@FinalDasa said:

Awesome opinion dude, really a great opinion.

And I completely disagree. Who cares if he predicts something and it's wrong? Who cares if he doesn't know every single fact in the world?

Don't listen to him and don't watch him. Problem solved.

Hey! You and your common sense are not welcome on this internet.

#39 Posted by FinalDasa (2045 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: If you don't like him, why do you concern yourself so much with him?

Moderator Online
#40 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

He's an annoying person to listen to, which goes for a lot of people in this industry.

His comments about the PC alone make me baffled as to why anyone sticks up for him.

#41 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

Aight clearly you guys like him and when we here at Giant Bomb like someone we stop demanding truth and sense from them because, well, we like them and that ends any negative discussions about them. So I'll let it go.  
I initially thought the community had mixed opinions about him which naturally allows neutral thoughtful discussions to take place, but I just remembered we had the same thread a few months ago where everyone called him awesome, so the verdict is that he's awesome which means scrutinizing discussions are no longer a possibility.

#42 Edited by I_smell (3925 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

Watch and feel disgusted by this excuse of an analyst
I'm sorry you had to sit through this.

Whoever made this video is 1000 times more annoying to me than Michael Pachter. THANKS FOR REPLAYING THAT SOUND CLIP 4 TIMES BUDDY, IT GOT FUNNIER EVERY TIME. You're annoyed about review scores and GameTrailers PC Game of the Year nominations? Fuckin give me a break, I thought we got tired o that years ago. I'm glad GiantBomb doesn't bother.

And yo guess what: Most people's PCs can barely even play a videogame. Mine can't. My brother, sister, parents and all my friends have laptops or stock built computers they just use for facebook. And trying to release a game on PC without putting it on Steam cuts your sales TO PIECES unless you're Minecraft or some huge MMO. God what a stupid, fucking annoying video.

Anyway- Michael Pachter can be an annoying cock, but the point of him being there is that he doesn't play or know anything about videogames. He's literally just interested in what demographic is trending, and which company acquires who. So he's adding a different voice to the conversation than Jeff Gerstmann or that Kotaku guy with the goatee. Also he's always willing to make some claim and put money down on something, while everyone else says "Let's wait and see". So he's great to have on a panel of predictions, even if he doesn't know what games are getting a reboot. Cos by the end of the show you'll definately have some thoughts out in the open instead of just "I dunno man, is game X gonna be there?"

I don't watch his other show on GameTrailers cos whatever, I'm not a fan of him, but I do like that he's permanently on Bonus Round now.

Y'know who does annoy me though? I've never put this in writing, but just to show that I totally understand why you'd hate Michael Pachter: I find Garry Whitta super fucking annoying. What a big stupid baby, oh man. Just had to get that off my chest.

#43 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

neutral thoughtful discussions

I think the problem here is that everyone here failed at that, yourself included.

#44 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Drebin_893 said:

@Soapy86 said:

And he might game, but he's not a critic, so he's probably going to get shit wrong from time to time. Hell, the Bomb guys do all of the time.

#45 Posted by tooPrime (345 posts) -

He seems smarter than the people that hate him. I'll give him that.

#46 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

@tooPrime said:

He seems smarter than the people that hate him. I'll give him that.

I used to not like Geoff Keighley, but after seeing some Youtuber dude chase him down in a video, I've kind of come to realize that he's a pretty OK guy.

#47 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I like him just fine.

#48 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4807 posts) -

So who's it been this month? All I remember so far is Patrick. Now we're on Pachter. Guys, we're way below our quota this month. Stop being indifferent. Start hating.

#49 Posted by WilliamHenry (1217 posts) -

I like Pachter. I think people unfairly give him shit for his predictions and claims. Those same people tend to not understand what he actually does.

#50 Edited by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

@BabyChooChoo said:

So who's it been this month? All I remember so far is Patrick. Now we're on Pachter. Guys, we're way below our quota this month. Stop being indifferent. Start hating.

No no no that's not how it works, see after every Patrick month it's back to Alex.

Now back on topic, Pachter is the greatest man alive for he dared talk about stuff in front of the gaming community and still puts on a smile everytime!