Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By penguindust
Wii-too
Wii-too
As E3 2009 edges closer, I’ve become fascinated with the proposed technology surrounding the rumored Microsoft and Sony motion control peripherals. I’m not convinced that either of the consoles needs the option in order to be successful or that the new motion detecting systems will make them any more competitive with Nintendo’s runaway juggernaut, but the concepts are intriguing nonetheless.  I do have a lot of questions, which is why I hope the rumors are true.
ZCam prototype
ZCam prototype

Microsoft’s system seems to be based off the ZCam developed by 3DV Systems. The camera aspect of their motion control works by emitting short burst of infrared light and then measuring the refection to judge distance, angle and movement within its scope of vision.  I liken it to sonar but with light.  I should reiterate that this is infrared technology (found in most television remotes) so unlike the current crop of eye toys, this system needs no ambient light and can work equally as well in dark rooms. Additionally, the software is smart enough to detect changes in position of your head, body, hands and fingers.

While that sounds exciting, recently a new rumor surfaced on the web concerning J. Allard and something called the “magic wand”.  Allard is joined by four others as inventors of an external electronic device manipulation system according to their patent application.  The description states that the system “can utilize one or more sensor from a collection of sensors to determine an orientation or gesture in connection with the wand.”

Simultaneous invention?
Simultaneous invention?
Allard’s magic wand sounds different than 3DV’s ZCam, although I can see that it’s possible they could be used in conjuncture with each other.  But, the mental image I get from Allard’s wand reminds me of the diagrams shown in Sony’s motion sensing remote patent application.  The Sony appliance seems to use LEDs as a photonically detectable element to recognize and track a user's manipulations of the game controller.  The accessory would spot changes in movement including twisting, turning, side to side, wand-like and jerking.  I believe, like the ZCam, the system uses infrared technology so playing in an overly lit room would no longer be required.

I’m not certain that in couple of weeks, I’ll understand any more about these gadgets than I do now.  Last year there was a flurry of speculation linking motion control to the release of the Banjo-Kazooie game, and that went nowhere.  All of this conjecture could be more fluff.  But, if there is any truth to these rumors, I am anxious to hear how the products work and see what comes from their implementation.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By penguindust
Wii-too
Wii-too
As E3 2009 edges closer, I’ve become fascinated with the proposed technology surrounding the rumored Microsoft and Sony motion control peripherals. I’m not convinced that either of the consoles needs the option in order to be successful or that the new motion detecting systems will make them any more competitive with Nintendo’s runaway juggernaut, but the concepts are intriguing nonetheless.  I do have a lot of questions, which is why I hope the rumors are true.
ZCam prototype
ZCam prototype

Microsoft’s system seems to be based off the ZCam developed by 3DV Systems. The camera aspect of their motion control works by emitting short burst of infrared light and then measuring the refection to judge distance, angle and movement within its scope of vision.  I liken it to sonar but with light.  I should reiterate that this is infrared technology (found in most television remotes) so unlike the current crop of eye toys, this system needs no ambient light and can work equally as well in dark rooms. Additionally, the software is smart enough to detect changes in position of your head, body, hands and fingers.

While that sounds exciting, recently a new rumor surfaced on the web concerning J. Allard and something called the “magic wand”.  Allard is joined by four others as inventors of an external electronic device manipulation system according to their patent application.  The description states that the system “can utilize one or more sensor from a collection of sensors to determine an orientation or gesture in connection with the wand.”

Simultaneous invention?
Simultaneous invention?
Allard’s magic wand sounds different than 3DV’s ZCam, although I can see that it’s possible they could be used in conjuncture with each other.  But, the mental image I get from Allard’s wand reminds me of the diagrams shown in Sony’s motion sensing remote patent application.  The Sony appliance seems to use LEDs as a photonically detectable element to recognize and track a user's manipulations of the game controller.  The accessory would spot changes in movement including twisting, turning, side to side, wand-like and jerking.  I believe, like the ZCam, the system uses infrared technology so playing in an overly lit room would no longer be required.

I’m not certain that in couple of weeks, I’ll understand any more about these gadgets than I do now.  Last year there was a flurry of speculation linking motion control to the release of the Banjo-Kazooie game, and that went nowhere.  All of this conjecture could be more fluff.  But, if there is any truth to these rumors, I am anxious to hear how the products work and see what comes from their implementation.

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By Tireyo

It sounds like Sony and Microsoft wants to steal the competition away from Nintendo by taking Nintendo's idea of motion censored controls!  How funny that is!!

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By BigBoss1911

Personally i never get tired of the standared controller,all of these motion sensing stuff isnt needed.But why try to take Nintendo's selling point?