• 51 results
#1 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

Kotaku:

Today, news site Ars Technica quotes the turnabout in what they say is an e-mail sent by Microsoft officials to all internal Xbox employees. The e-mail states that the next Xbox will let people play games without connecting to the web, despite the rumors that have been swirling over the past few months that Microsoft's new console will follow in the footsteps of games likeSimCity and Diablo III, requiring an Internet connection to function.

"Durango is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet," the memo reportedly says. "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

http://kotaku.com/report-the-next-xbox-will-let-you-play-games-offline-493136979

So, i guess that...

The internet wins again!!!

Personally, i think this would never fly, and if the internet hadn't made themselves heard, Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot on launch day.

Anyway, what do you guys think about these news?

#2 Edited by Jams (2960 posts) -

What happened to letting the publishers decide?

#3 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4191 posts) -

Isn't there already a thread on this? Someone post it. I don't wanna go and find it.

#4 Edited by EXTomar (4665 posts) -

There are multiple threads on "this" but that never seems to stop multiple people from "reporting" on it without adding discussion.

#5 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

Isn't there already a thread on this? Someone post it. I don't wanna go and find it.

I checked the first page, didn't see it...

The last post on the first page is a day old, these news came out today, or yesterday now, so, i don't think so.

@jams said:

What happened to letting the publishers decide?

I don't know, i think some publishers will still try to find a way to fuck the consumers, but, at least they won't have Microsoft backing them up.

#6 Edited by Levio (1784 posts) -

@extomar said:

There are multiple threads on "this" but that never seems to stop multiple people from "reporting" on it without adding discussion.

These people have no respect for first posts. Sure, my mom makes $7,849 per month working from home, but I choose not to spam about it like the others because it's old news.

#7 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@extomar said:

Wow, you guys are being assholes...

What do you mean multiple threads on this?!

These news came out today, or yesterday depending on where you live, and like i said, i checked the first page before posting.

And i asked you what you guys think, that's adding discussion.

So, if you're not going to add to the discussion, why post just to be an asshole?

Seriously...

I expect more from the Giant Bomb community.

#8 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@levio said:

@extomar said:

These people have no respect for first posts. Sure, my mom makes $7,849 per month working from home, but I choose not to spam about it like the others because it's old news.

So, now i checked, not only the first page again, but the second page, and that has posts that go back 3 days, and still nothing...

These news came out today, or yesterday, so if you're not going to discuss about the topic, please, just stop acting like you're the fucking internet police...

#10 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

This "leaked" memo sounds like PR. Didn't MS say that always online stuff would be up to developers/publishers? Like, they weren't requiring it but it might still happen?

@bprjctx said:

These news came out today, or yesterday, so if you're not going to discuss about the topic, please, just stop acting like you're the fucking internet police...

Attempting to tell the Internet Police how to to their job is a class B felony.

#11 Edited by Baillie (4077 posts) -

@bprjctx: You're not very good at looking, are you?

#12 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -
#13 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4191 posts) -

Oh, it was today.

Lock this shit down, gurrrl..

#15 Posted by Animasta (14669 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

Oh... Forums... Xbox Durango...

I don't even know how to get there...

I only come to general discussion, and i didn't see it there, so...

this isn't no slight against you or anything, but do people really go to one specific forum? I mean I just hit recent topics on the right and it's not like the board goes so fast that I need to ignore one because this other one is going so fast.

#16 Edited by HaltIamReptar (2029 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

How in the hell is asking other people to create discussion for you adding discussion?

#17 Edited by Animasta (14669 posts) -

also for the record I much prefer your thread title, the other one is way boring

#18 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@animasta said:
@bprjctx said:

this isn't no slight against you or anything, but do people really go to one specific forum? I mean I just hit recent topics on the right and it's not like the board goes so fast that I need to ignore one because this other one is going so fast.

I really only press General Discussion, that's it.

@animasta said:

also for the record I much prefer your thread title, the other one is way boring

Thanks, i thought it was pretty good to.

Giant Bomb needs to hire me, because the "News Guy"... Only seems to post like once a week...

#19 Edited by Baillie (4077 posts) -

@bprjctx: No, I think you should eat some virtual donuts, good sir.

#20 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@baillie said:

@bprjctx: No, I think you should eat some virtual donuts, good sir.

No, you.

I said it frist.

#21 Edited by Blu3V3nom07 (4191 posts) -
@bprjctx said:

@animasta said:
@bprjctx said:

I really only press General Discussion, that's it.

@animasta said:

Thanks, i thought it was pretty good to.

Giant Bomb needs to hire me, because the "News Guy"... Only seems to post like once a week...

You're hired! That Luchadeer has really stopped posting as of late. I guess we really don't have a news guy.

#22 Edited by skyline7284 (505 posts) -
@bprjctx said:

Kotaku:

Today, news site Ars Technica quotes the turnabout in what they say is an e-mail sent by Microsoft officials to all internal Xbox employees. The e-mail states that the next Xbox will let people play games without connecting to the web, despite the rumors that have been swirling over the past few months that Microsoft's new console will follow in the footsteps of games likeSimCity and Diablo III, requiring an Internet connection to function.

"Durango is designed to deliver the future of entertainment while engineered to be tolerant of today's Internet," the memo reportedly says. "There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

http://kotaku.com/report-the-next-xbox-will-let-you-play-games-offline-493136979

So, i guess that...

The internet wins again!!!

Personally, i think this would never fly, and if the internet hadn't made themselves heard, Microsoft would be shooting themselves in the foot on launch day.

Anyway, what do you guys think about these news?

Microsoft doesn't give two shits what the internet thinks. All that matters is their bottom line.

Also: The Homepage currently looks like this:

#23 Posted by Hunter5024 (5612 posts) -
@animasta said:

Seconded.

#24 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@skyline7284: How many times will i have to say that i only go to general discussion?

Anyway, yeah, the world revolves around money.

I'm pretty the sure that the response they got from the internet, was the main reason why they changed their plans before launch.

#25 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

@baillie said:

@bprjctx: You're not very good at looking, are you?

YOU'RE NOT VERY GOOD LOOKING!

#26 Posted by skyline7284 (505 posts) -

@bprjctx: Right but the people complaining on the internet are a small fraction of who will end up buying the console, whether always online or not.

#27 Edited by Darson (450 posts) -

That's fantastic!

Up next: Durango will not have online capabilities whatsoever at launch. You'll need to buy an ethernet adapter for $49.99 six months after launch. This will be followed by the much anticipated wifi-ethernet-bluetooth adapter that will go on sale for $89.93 six months before the next console is released.

#28 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@darson said:

That's fantastic!

Up next: Durango will not have online capabilities whatsoever at launch. You'll need to buy an ethernet adapter for $49.99 six months after launch. This will be followed by the much anticipated wifi-ethernet-bluetooth adapter that will go on sale for $89.93 six months before the next console is released.

Ha, don't worry, i'm sure they'll come up with wholle new ways to rip ppl off with proprietary accessories.

#29 Edited by TruthTellah (8753 posts) -

Personally, I prefer the other thread because it doesn't make the wild assumption that they just changed this because of Internet complaints, but I do like your title.

I think this has always been the case, with an optional always online that's decided by the developer. Media sources ginned up some rumors and this newest rumor goes against the old ones. In three weeks, we'll have a better understanding of what the reality is.

#30 Posted by Slag (4236 posts) -

well if they really did (assuming always online was ever a thing), props for being willing to change their mind.

#31 Posted by laserbolts (5317 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

@extomar said:

Wow, you guys are being assholes...

What do you mean multiple threads on this?!

These news came out today, or yesterday depending on where you live, and like i said, i checked the first page before posting.

So, if you're not going to add to the discussion, why post just to be an asshole?

Seriously...

I expect more from the Giant Bomb community.

Welcome to giantbomb. Apparently a great community or something. I hope this news is true because my internet shits out from time to time so i'd like to be able to play games when I want. They really had no choice though. They would be shooting themselves in the foot otherwise.

#32 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

As of around 3 weeks ago I kind of washed my hands of taking any of the nextbox rumors seriously, beyond trusting the basic seemingly genuine hardware detail leaks. It goes back and forth so much, and MS will say w/e when the time comes around for it.

And realistically, if all you wanted is performance the whole console thing is irrelevant.

#33 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

I wish people would stop acting like they know anything about the next Xbox. We literally know nothing yet, and won't for a couple weeks, so everyone calm down.

#34 Posted by Legion_ (1270 posts) -

I think your kidding yourself if you think you or anyone else had anything to do with this.

#35 Edited by Phr4nk0 (349 posts) -

Cool thread title, the Don Mega would be proud. I have to say that always online was always just a rumour that I never bought into to begin with, so really the internet hasn't won anything except creating a strawman and then whooping it's ass. What I do like about this is confirmation of the next Xbox using Blue Ray, if this is legit.

#36 Posted by AgnosticJesus (544 posts) -

How witty of the OP to reference an Ice Cube song off The Predator in his thread title. Please elaborate, was it good that MS checked themselves before they wrecked themselves because shotgun bullets are bad for your health or big dicks up your ass are bad for your health?

#37 Edited by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

What a snarky-ass e-mail.

#38 Posted by SquirrelGOD (501 posts) -

@legion_ said:

I think your kidding yourself if you think you or anyone else had anything to do with this.

This statement is in agreement with how I feel about this subject. This is like me going to see the upcoming Superman movie and as I'm leaving the movie theater, I proudly declare "MAN, I'm so glad that my internet bitching made them cut out out that awkward subplot where Captain Kirk and Spock had to stop an evil Chewbacca clone from blowing up the Daily Planet. YOU'RE WELCOME, fellow moviegoers!"

Idiots regurgitating the same rumor over and over while getting more and more pissed off doesn't make that rumor become closer to becoming fact the more times it's repeated.

#39 Edited by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@agnosticjesus said:

How witty of the OP to reference an Ice Cube song off The Predator in his thread title. Please elaborate, was it good that MS checked themselves before they wrecked themselves because shotgun bullets are bad for your health or big dicks up your ass are bad for your health?

Redacted.

#40 Posted by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

You're a snarky-ass e-mail!

#41 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

Hell yeah I am!!!

#42 Posted by TheHT (11128 posts) -

Bluray huh? Well then.

#43 Edited by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

They said Blu-ray? I think they said Blu-ray.

#44 Edited by DarthOrange (3858 posts) -

@jasonr86 said:

@darthorange said:

@jasonr86 said:

Hell yeah I am!!!

lol. But in all seriousness though, it was hella snarky. This part in particular stuck out to me:

"There are a number of scenarios that our users expect to work without an Internet connection, and those should 'just work' regardless of their current connection status. Those include, but are not limited to: playing a Blu-ray disc, watching live TV, and yes playing a single player game."

It's really the last sentence. It reads as if they are just so annoyed and are doing us all a big favor allowing us to do things like, say, PLAY A BLU-RAY DISC without having to be online. It's just so snarky and off-putting. It also makes me think that Microsoft's console will fall on it's fucking face this generation for a long time and maybe turn it around akin to the PS3 this generation. They just seem like such arrogant shits.

#45 Posted by Ben_H (3338 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

@agnosticjesus said:

Hey guys, we got an Internet Badass over here!!!

Watch out!!!

He thinks he's smart and likes to use bad words!!!

Danger Danger!!!

Err... I think you misread what he was saying. He was quoting song in which you made reference to when creating this thread. He wasn't being mean at all.

#46 Posted by EchoEcho (819 posts) -

@bprjctx said:

@agnosticjesus said:

Watch out!!!

Danger Danger!!!

Did I just walk into a 6th grade classroom?

#47 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

Huh, Watching Live TV, So it will be a cable Box, That's actually potentially cool as all cable boxes i've seen have god awful interfaces.

#48 Edited by The_Hiro_Abides (1260 posts) -

I wouldn't say posting a rumor is news. I'm glad Giantbomb rarely posts those kind of stories.

#49 Posted by BPRJCTX (704 posts) -

@ben_h said:

@bprjctx said:

@agnosticjesus said:

Watch out!!!

Danger Danger!!!

Err... I think you misread what he was saying. He was quoting song in which you made reference to when creating this thread. He wasn't being mean at all.

Really?

Wow, i feel like a dumb ass...

But i left hip hop behind a long time ago so...

#50 Posted by CornBREDX (5091 posts) -

If you consider being a part of Microsofts experiment in testing what the reaction to an always online restriction would be as winning... sure the internet "won"