#1 Posted by zoozilla (978 posts) -

Here's the story I read.

Apparently MS have been working on a technology that works with Kinect to project images onto your living room based on what's on the TV. Some of the examples they show make it look like the image expands past your TV, and others seem like they only project related images, like snow falling for a snow level.

Here's the video:

Is it just me, or does this tech seem completely useless and stupid? If this is Microsoft's answer to the PS4, I don't know what to think. Is this really the best way they could think of to leverage the technology of the Kinect?

#2 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Sure it looks a bit gimmicky, but I like it. This kind of tech could produce a lot of really fun effects if used right. However, unless this stuff is built in with every Durango unit I don't see it being very widespread. Still pretty cool though!

#3 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

Will never happen not everyone has the space to place a projector behind you and a room big enough for this to work.

but whatever i´m not gonna buy the next xbox anyway, even if they shape the box like Jeff´s head.

#4 Edited by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

This VR-esque bullshit all seem wonderful in theory, but in practice NOTHING beats a good monitor / TV a decent controller, a cup of your choice energy drink and a kickass couch combo.

#5 Posted by Lazlow (114 posts) -

Hmmm I'm always in two minds about this sort of stuff.

Whilst it's gimmicky and dumb I'm glad that this VR-esque stuff is something people are thinking about and trying to crack. I guess the optimist part of me just wants to see this sort of technology become something much better than it's currently capable of being.

#6 Posted by EXTomar (4635 posts) -

I can see applications for this tech but again like with Kinect how many house holds are going to have a room that can take a projector let alone take advantage of this?

#7 Edited by Mr_Skeleton (5140 posts) -

This is old news and only a tech demo, this was shown a few months ago. As for being stupid and useless this is just part of what MS R&D does they make things that they might want to use in the future but most of the times just end up as cool tech demos, this has nothing to do with the Xbox.

Edit: Here is the Tested article from January http://www.tested.com/tech/gaming/452909-microsoft-researchs-illumiroom/

#8 Posted by ajamafalous (11942 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-durango-working-title/3045-145/forums/illumiroom-could-make-me-want-a-microsoft-console--574618/#53

January 9, 2013

#9 Posted by rickwilliams (32 posts) -

It's really just kinect all over again, in that it looks interesting and unique, but i just don't see it working like that in final product. too many uncontrollable variables, and not enough ways to implement effectively.

#10 Posted by fang273 (194 posts) -

100% guarantee it'll end up displaying ads at some point if it becomes popular.

#11 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10846 posts) -

This seems like the kind of dumb thing that might be fun once for something really dumb (like Double Fine Happy Action Theater). But only once.

Moderator Online
#12 Posted by Gruebacca (510 posts) -

Just remember that this is only a proof of concept. We haven't actually seen the product formally unveiled yet, and until Microsoft shows it off running on new games I'll withhold judgement on how well it will work.

It certainly looks cool, and the tech seems far more sound than Kinect; however, Microsoft has yet to convince us that this is a game changer for it's new console. I'm sure they will attempt just that at E3.

#13 Posted by geirr (2508 posts) -

It's cute but I don't want another console with more cords than needed. Power plug only.

Also I do most of my console gaming with a projector already which leaves no room for an extra image to splash around the sides.

#14 Edited by Bollard (5399 posts) -

http://www.giantbomb.com/xbox-durango-working-title/3045-145/forums/illumiroom-could-make-me-want-a-microsoft-console--574618/#53

January 9, 2013

#15 Posted by bigjeffrey (4910 posts) -

Will this give me seizures? Cause that would be sick.

#16 Edited by KaneRobot (1507 posts) -

This mildly neat gimmick does not change the fact that I do not have room for a projection device/Kinect to work properly.

#17 Posted by Stokes (191 posts) -

I think this looks pretty cool. Not sure how practical it would be, but it looks like it could really help with immersion. Also, playing Forza with that would be pretty awesome.

#18 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5373 posts) -

Illumiroom looks like it'll make me feel like I'm on Illimishrooms. Hah!

I don't know, if I want to be more immersed in the game world, I'd rather use an oculus rift.

#19 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2216 posts) -

I think it looks cool and it would at least give me the one reason to ever have the Kinect hooked up.

#20 Posted by onarum (2063 posts) -

That looks pretty cool actually.

#21 Posted by Veektarius (4746 posts) -

The more abstract stuff like lighting and location indicators looked more interesting to me than the extended field stuff.

#22 Edited by jdh5153 (1034 posts) -

It would be cool if they could do something where like Dance Central could project the moves on the floor or something. I'm really excited for IllumiRoom and Kinect 2.0

#23 Edited by Sackmanjones (4682 posts) -

I find it REALLY hard to believe that this will work as intended (if its true of course)

EDIT: I will say while most of the effects kinda hurt my eyes, the lighting stuff seems pretty neat.

#24 Posted by Korolev (1703 posts) -

Potentially very interesting technology. While they show it "somewhat" working in a regular room, you'd really need a flat wall to use it to its fullest, and preferably a white-wall so that the colours wouldn't interfere.

I can imagine a LOT of potential uses for this for presentations, for marketing, for TV and film viewing. As for games, there might be a few neat applications, but the tech is still a bit too immature for wide spread use in gaming. I can't imagine using this sort of technology myself right now, nor can I see it contributing much towards gaming at the moment.

But from a purely technology standpoint, it's pretty neat.

#25 Edited by Korolev (1703 posts) -

Potentially very interesting technology. While they show it "somewhat" working in a regular room, you'd really need a flat wall to use it to its fullest, and preferably a white-wall so that the colours wouldn't interfere.

I can imagine a LOT of potential uses for this for presentations, for marketing, for TV and film viewing. As for games, there might be a few neat applications, but the tech is still a bit too immature for wide spread use in gaming. I can't imagine using this sort of technology myself right now, nor can I see it contributing much towards gaming at the moment.

But from a purely technology standpoint, it's pretty neat.

#26 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

Uh you guys are a little late on this one.

#27 Posted by zFUBARz (625 posts) -

It's cool tech, but like most things out of MS R&D it'll probably end up as just something for tech demos and trade shows. They've never said it will be a part of the Durango project. Also if anything this would be going after the Oculus Rift type market of immersion and expanding how we interact with digital environments. Nothing to do with PS4 0_o

Although honestly if everything out there magically supported this all of a sudden it would be pretty sweet to have, I would have no problem being sure to sit a coffee table in front of my TV to make it work.

#29 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

I guess everybody who can use a Kinect properly can use IllumiRoom, and that Kinect stuff sold like hotcakes. Not for me and my setup, but it certainly seems quite cool.

#30 Edited by MonkeyKing1969 (2666 posts) -

@seppli said:

I guess everybody who can use a Kinect properly can use IllumiRoom, and that Kinect stuff sold like hotcakes. Not for me and my setup, but it certainly seems quite cool.

Truth! It looks cool, but likely to cost too much for what it does and will be too much of a hassle to line up. Neat if you want it, but I don't live in an Ikea house where I can set up a projector anywhere.

#31 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Innovation o.o

#32 Posted by MedalOfMode (294 posts) -

Innovation o.o

#33 Edited by McTangle (157 posts) -

I own a projector and I call bullshit on this. Microsoft need to get in the game and quit fucking around with this namby-pamby bollocks.

I don't know a single person that would give the smallest shit about small amounts of ambient light on the wall by the TV. Besides, daylight and projections cancel each other out, so be prepared to experience this shit deep underground with the mole-people. Great job, Microsoft.