Posted by oti_xero (35 posts) -

The Xbox Reveal was a disappointment. I'm pretty sure most of us (gamers) can get behind that. As disappointing as it was though, the reasons for the ever increasing "Xbox One hate" we're experiencing right now is not to be found in an one hour long, slightly misguided presentation. Most of us get that Microsoft wants their new console to appeal to a broader audience. We are ok with that. The reason why the last few days have been a PR disaster for Microsoft, is Microsoft's mindbogglingly bad communication.

Communication is important. It's the connection between a company that wants to sell a good and the potential buyer of that particular good. Good communication can bring a lot of new fans and satisfy the old ones (Nintendo Direct is a perfect example for good communication). Bad communication leads to confusion, which leads to frustration, which then leads to the overwhelming negativity we're now experiencing with Xbox One. We don't know every detail about Microsoft's new console, which is usually fine. There are still three major gaming events and several months ahead of launch. Usually. In reality it's everything but.

The Xbox One is an individual unfinished puzzle in our minds. Microsoft PR's task right now is to help us finish that puzzle with more information and push us towards buying that system. We don't have enough pieces to finish the puzzle yet, that's how communication at this stage of a console launch works, it's nothing out of the ordinary. Now here's Microsoft's big mistake: Thanks to confusing and directly contradicting quotes by several executives after the reveal, they've already given us enough information for us to believe that we can come up with some of the missing pieces ourselves and finish the puzzle before Microsoft intended us to do. So we take all those incoming news (quoting nebulous sources of course - don't trust them, nobody seems to know what's up) and old patents and ask ourselves: "Does this fit into my own puzzle of what I believe the Xbox One will turn out to be?". That's how consumers decide about possible purchases, PR's job is to influence the consumer in a certain way to make the puzzle look as attractive as possible. Microsoft PR is influencing consumer's perception of their product, but in the worst way possible. "We know that something's up with used games and always online, so why aren't they just open about it? It they aren't open about it, it must be something horrible, right?". That mindset makes us believe that even unbelievable patents (such as this Kinect increases the pricing of media accordingly to the people facing the TV) don't sound that unbelievable anymore. So we just add that piece to our puzzle of the Xbox One. Even if Microsoft will never ever use this patent, it has still changed our perception of the console.

The irony of it all: Microsoft created that narrative themselves. They've lost all control of the message and hence the situation. It's their own fault their new console is (without any real evidence) considered to be the worst nightmare in the history of gaming and Sony the righteous White Knight. The Xbox One could be a pretty neat machine, all those changes not as horrible as everyone is now expecting them to be. Maybe all of this will be forgotten after they finally start talking about the benefits of those changes (you know, the good puzzle pieces) and maybe Sony will one-up them with even worse restrictions. But for now, they're doing everything wrong. I don't know about you guys, but my Xbox One puzzle is looking worse and worse every single day.

UPDATE

Just read what Sony CEO Kazu Hirai had to say at D11:

I fundamentally believe that the initial market that we need to make sure we appeal to with any new platform … is really the gaming audience. (…). They will be the supporters of your platform and they will help propel the installed base. (…). For us, it’s all about the gamers.” - Kazuo Hirai, CEO of Sony. (Source: venturebeat)

That sounds so much better than anything that Microsoft has said so far, right? The funny thing: This means next to nothing really, but it's till going to make many gamers pre-order the PS4. Maybe Sony's painting a better NextGen future than Microsoft does, but in the end they're both using pretty much the same colours. Of course there's something going on with Always Online and Used Games at Sony as well, but nobody's talking about it. Because Sony knows when it's time to just say nothing and when it's time to say some well targeted and formulated words. The power of communication.

#1 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

Why does nearly everyone of your hotlinks go right to the mainpage?

And no the puzzle is not getting worse. MS conference was more or less to say " Hey guys we got a console to!" Which was followed by a big fat countdown to E3 poking at MS showing off games then with all their TV/Sport bullshit out of the way.

I will say it again. There is nothing to save because nothing is wrong. MS is in the same position as Sony was last time. It will blow over and be forgotten.

Edit

Sony can easily come in and mess up even worse.

#2 Posted by oti_xero (35 posts) -

@the_laughing_man: So now I can reply to you, must have been a bug or something. Sorry for those links, I really don't know how they found their way in there, but I fixed it now.

No it's not getting worse (I didn't want to use "get", sorry) but it looks worse. I'm not saying something's wrong, but nobody can deny Microsoft's messaging has done more harm than good to them. For right now that is, in the end none of this may matter.

#3 Edited by Butano (1746 posts) -

The lack of the big picture from gamers is frightening. All I know is this: my dad and my brother want an Xbox One. Both called me asking when it comes out the day after the announcement. The most gaming my dad does is on his iPad, and my brother usually just plays Battlefield Play4Free.

That's why I think Microsoft will be in the lead again this next generation. Getting the casual crowd who also enjoy TV/Netflix/Hulu/whatever will be the deciding factor for this next generation. And honestly, the Kinect stuff is looking pretty sweet.

#4 Edited by oti_xero (35 posts) -

@butano: Yeah, being a gaming console only is not enough anymore and that's ok. Mass media's issue in Germany right now aren't used games, it's the privacy issue. And I do have to admit, an always recording Kinect is kinda creepy to me.

#5 Posted by Rorie (3107 posts) -

Welcome to the community! Hope you enjoy your time on the boards!

Staff
#6 Posted by MichaelBach (887 posts) -

And no the puzzle is not getting worse. MS conference was more or less to say " Hey guys we got a console to!" Which was followed by a big fat countdown to E3 poking at MS showing off games then with all their TV/Sport bullshit out of the way.

I will say it again. There is nothing to save because nothing is wrong. MS is in the same position as Sony was last time. It will blow over and be forgotten.

Edit

I'm with you on this one. Too soon to tell, since they have all the "boring" stuff out of the way, maybe their E3 in 2 weeks will be very gaming focused!

#7 Edited by bitcloud (646 posts) -

@michaelbach said:
@the_laughing_man said:

Edit

I'm with you on this one. Too soon to tell, since they have all the "boring" stuff out of the way, maybe their E3 in 2 weeks will be very gaming focused!

Microsoft has devoted significant E3 time in the past to talk up media features and turn their press conference into an Usher concert.

There is a strange assumption from a lot of people that Sony is unable to do media like Microsoft is now. Forgetting that they have been doing media in a lot of directions with the PS3 already. Streaming media they have in the bag, apps, decent Facebook and Twitter integration was done long ago.

Microsoft can't add in much better hardware for games or simplify their memory setup for developers later. A box that doesn't replace a cable box, but instead is another box? Like Steve Jobs said about Google right before Google TV came out, they'll learn what everyone else leaned when releasing "another box".

#8 Posted by kingschiebi (60 posts) -

The weird thing is that everybody seems to have entirely forgotten that there already is stuff like PlayTV which does pretty much the same as the XBOne - and it also works as a DVR.

I realize that this was something more catered to us Europeans utilizing DVB-T reception, but I can't help but find it ridiculous that Microsoft centered the entire marketing around that pitch, while telling us that the new Xbox is basically not for us, but for a younger generation.

Apart from that, I still don't understand what problem they try to solve with a box that is made for people who already own a box that pretty much handles all and more than they could desire about watching TV.

I'm just curious about their E3 messaging now - not out of excitement, but just by seeing how they can actually go forward in any coherent way with that start.

#9 Edited by bitcloud (646 posts) -

@kingschiebi: It's almost as weird as Sony actually getting everything right I suppose lol.

#10 Posted by kingschiebi (60 posts) -

@bitcloud said:

@kingschiebi: It's almost as weird as Sony actually getting everything right I suppose lol.

At this point I would just be happy if they came out and said that they are simply continuing what they started with PS+ and just roll out a more powerful hardware simply for the games. Then again, I must be apparently an untypical consumer in that market for only playing games on my consoles and watching a movie on a disc now and then.

Since we do not know a lot more from Sony, I am actually excited for the direction they started off with. On the other hand, they already screwed up easier sure-fire wins in the past and never ceased to be able to 180 on anything they seemed to be doing right.

#11 Posted by oti_xero (35 posts) -

@michaelbach: I'm not saying the Xbox One will be a bad console or anything, just trying to understand the negativity right now.

@rorie: Thank you very much. Feels good. Community seems to be very nice, even to those whose English isn't their native language, just like myself.

#12 Edited by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

I have a feeling that the games at E3 will be pretty good for the Xbone, on the other hand it could just be 70 % kinect games... We will just have to wait and see.

@oti_xero: Yeah, me too bro, this is best gaming community on the internet, the people are very nice here.

#14 Posted by Brackynews (4094 posts) -

@oti_xero: I like this blog enough to say that I've never seen "stadium" used in that context. Not sure if it works. If English is not your first language, then I humbly suggest "stage" instead, which is an understandable synonym mistake. Or "juncture" if you want to impress. ;)

Welcome to GB!

#15 Posted by MichaelBach (887 posts) -

@oti_xero said:

@michaelbach: I'm not saying the Xbox One will be a bad console or anything, just trying to understand the negativity right now.

@rorie: Thank you very much. Feels good. Community seems to be very nice, even to those whose English isn't their native language, just like myself.

I know what you mean. I just think (hope) that Microsoft is doing this so they can concentrate on blowing our minds with gaming stuff during E3. At any rate E3 should be amazing this year. I don't know if I will Go PS or Xbox this time around. Good post, sparks discussion!

Language: I wonder what % are foreigners on GB. I my self and Danish living in Mexico.

#16 Edited by bitcloud (646 posts) -

Something interesting that has come up.

http://cl.ly/2S293J3W2a2R

I fully support the whole cut for devs at the store level for used games like Gamestop and Bestbuy. I don't think friends passing around a game or selling on eBay should be hit by this. A dirtbag process like Gamestop having to give a cut to game makers is exactly what should happen. At that point, they can even count it as another sale I guess.

#17 Posted by oti_xero (35 posts) -

@brackynews: Ähm, I meant Pokémon Stadium, duh. (Thank you, keep the corrections coming, I appreciate them. If you ever want to learn German, Greek, French or some Japanese just ask me. I'll help you with that :)

#18 Edited by oti_xero (35 posts) -

@michaelbach: I really hope Microsoft can blow us all away at E3 with awesome games. That's why we're here for, aren't we? Hype is in the air. I love E3, though as an Editor for a video game magazine it means a LOT of work and little to no sleep.

A Danish living in Mexico. That sounds like a pretty great sitcom to me! I my self am a Greek living in Germany. Again, great sitcom!

#19 Posted by Nictel (2429 posts) -

A single line at the press conference could have solved everything: "Today we showed the amazing entertainment features, we know that part of our audience is only interested in games and that is why at E3 we will talk exclusively about the games coming to Xbox One."

#20 Edited by oti_xero (35 posts) -

@nictel: Again, I don't think a better Reveal would have changed the situation right now. It was the communication after the event, that lead to frustration and the (irrational - for now at least) negativity.

At least that's my impression. The "Xbox One has no games" argument is almost gone. Now "Xbox One is the worst thing that happened to gaming since E.T. for the Atari 2600" (paraphrased) is what's making its rounds on the internet.

#21 Edited by Nictel (2429 posts) -

@oti_xero: Ah, I thought it was still at "where are the games".

Personally I don't think the damage is irreversible quite yet. But they need to clear up a lot of things at E3: 'We are thinking about it' isn't going to cut it.

#22 Edited by MichaelBach (887 posts) -

@oti_xero said:

@michaelbach: I really hope Microsoft can blow us all away at E3 with awesome games. That's why we're here for, aren't we? Hype is in the air. I love E3, though as an Editor for a video game magazine it means a LOT of work and little to no sleep.

A Danish living in Mexico. That sounds like a pretty great sitcom to me! I my self am a Greek living in Germany. Again, great sitcom!

Do you have problems being an international citizen? I bought my xbox in Mexico, made the mistake of connection it to my Hotmail address that I made in Denmark many years ago and have the settings to English. So all prices are in Danish Kroner, the releases are in Spanish and seems to be depending on Mexican release dates still and the text on the system is a mix of spanish, english and danish (adds, titles etc).

#23 Edited by oti_xero (35 posts) -

@michaelbach: No, I don't have the same problems. My situation is pretty different though. I was born and raised in Germany, so no such problems for me.