Microsoft should make this Red Ring thing a plus.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Arkthemaniac

They need to make their next console ring-shaped, with red lights on it.

It would be hilarious, and awesome. It would also look pretty badass, and they could refer to the console as the "Red Ring", so the term would refer to the console, and the full RRoD would be a fanboy of the console referring to it.

Thank you, and good day.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Snipzor

But what if the console failed? Would it show green lights, which is generally the Microsoft colour, instead of red? Although it would make more sense because Microsoft as a whole is one big fuck up.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac
Snipzor said:
"But what if the console failed? Would it show green lights, which is generally the Microsoft colour, instead of red? Although it would make more sense because Microsoft as a whole is one big fuck up.
"
I think Microsoft needs to just get over the concept of failure rates. They're so old hat.
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By BrickRoad

Microsoft need to focus on failure rates, more like. What I mean is instead of the red rings being bad publicity, they should make them good. Turn it into a lotto. You got the RRoD? Congratulations, you've just won a fabulous prize*! Then people would be hoping for a RRoD'd xbox.

*May actually be bill for console repair.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

I love the Red Ring. I know it's a fucker when it happens but it's got so much personality. I mean, what sounds more traumatic: 'Bro, my PS3 just broke' or 'Bro, my 360 just red ringed'? It's great.

BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrickRoad

True, but saying 'I got the red ring of death last night' also sounds like you need to see a doctor. Fast.
Here's a quick little story for ya, when my brothers 360 RRoD and I rang MS, they said it'd cost us. I rang them back, reading out their then latest press statement where they extended warrenty and they magically remembered to do it for free.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By BiG_Weasel
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead
BiG_Weasel said:
"Imagine if any automaker had a failure rate that high...the gov't would shut them down in a heartbeat."
Probably because that would kill a lot of people whereas I assume the fatalities from a red ring (Ooh er!) have been zero.
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BrickRoad

Maybe... just maybe, we're the ones with the failure rate.  Those other 32% of people could be taking their 360 for walks, talking to it, boosting its confidence, buying it nice things to wear. Maybe showing a little love?

strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#10  Edited By strangeling
Snipzor said:
"But what if the console failed? Would it show green lights, which is generally the Microsoft colour, instead of red? Although it would make more sense because Microsoft as a whole is one big fuck up.
"
No.  It would have a built-in self destruct upon failure.  You'll be playing a game, and *poof* you've a little pile of ash.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead
strangeling said:
"Snipzor said:
"
No.  It would have a built-in self destruct upon failure.  You'll be playing a game, and *poof* you've a little pile of ash.
"
Hideo Kojima, It is you!
Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Player1

Or they could make a console that doesn't break.

That would TOTALLY satisfy me. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Player1 said:
"Or they could make a console that doesn't break.

That would TOTALLY satisfy me. :P
"
Yeah agreed, like I have said so many times, I would have stuck with the 360 if it were not for me getting the RROD twice.
BrickRoad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BrickRoad
[call]

Raiden, turn the console off.

What?

The console, Raiden. It's about to RROD. Turn it off.

[call]

Raiden, last night I was playing my 360 and suddenly I saw red lights flashing irregulalry. What do you think they were?

... What?

Fine then!
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By FlipperDesert
BrickRoad said:
"Maybe... just maybe, we're the ones with the failure rate.  Those other 32% of people could be taking their 360 for walks, talking to it, boosting its confidence, buying it nice things to wear. Maybe showing a little love?
"
But I've been a good father! I play with it all the time, just today we hatched a Dragonache together! :(

They should market it as a lucky draw to get the updated Jasper model, problem solved.
strangeling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#16  Edited By strangeling
HandsomeDead said:
"Hideo Kojima, It is you!"
Whoa, that's an old reference.  He hasn't said anything else like that recently has he?  I'm thinking that was back around the time RE: Outbreak came out?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead
strangeling said:
"HandsomeDead said:
"Hideo Kojima, It is you!"
Whoa, that's an old reference.  He hasn't said anything else like that recently has he?  I'm thinking that was back around the time RE: Outbreak came out?
"
I have no idea, I remember reading it ages ago thinking it was either the stupidest or cleverest idea ever. I hope now he's done (Read: 'done') with MGS, he can get on with his self destructing games.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By c1337us
Player1 said:

That would TOTALLY satisfy me. :P"
Never a truer word was spoken.
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
c1337us said:
"Player1 said:

That would TOTALLY satisfy me. :P"
Never a truer word was spoken.
"
Agreed. 
WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WickedCobra03

I am really over the "funnnnnnay factor" of the RRoD.  It is completely ludicrous  that we are at all thinking that the RRoD epidemic is cute.  I personally hate it because I have had 4 360's since launch and I play my xbox 360 for maybe an hour or 2 a week 9 months of the year, and when I go home for the summer, maybe it is like 5-8 hours a week... Not a taxing amount of time at all that should render any problems if the console was built correctly.

And then with the microsoft reps on 18004MYXBOX were telling me for the first 2 years that there were not widespread problems with the 360 reliability and I was the problem and some how abusing mine...that just pissed the hell out of me!

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac
HandsomeDead said:
"BiG_Weasel said:
"Imagine if any automaker had a failure rate that high...the gov't would shut them down in a heartbeat."
Probably because that would kill a lot of people whereas I assume the fatalities from a red ring (Ooh er!) have been zero.
"
Tell that to the Microsoft rep I called when mine broke.

Do you have any issues with digging?
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
BiG_Weasel said:
"Or, what they could do is stop making crap consoles. The first Xbox had a recall on power supplies that were causing fires, the 360 has about 68% failure rate....that's 2 out of 3 will fail.  That's completely unacceptable. Imagine if any automaker had a failure rate that high...the gov't would shut them down in a heartbeat.

"

Lets see NES systems went faulty over time in that you had to blow into the system just to get games to work which ruined them even more *to completely clean them you needed a nail file and you had to open the system* Ps1 Who here had to turn their ps1's upside down or on edge to get games to play? Ps2 DRE any one? *ps2 all so had a battery recall* So yeah we still don't have proof beyond certain ""reports"" that failure rates were that high. except last i checked after reading that one guys behind the scenes thing the high failure rates happend in the test area not in the consumer release.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Arkthemaniac
WilliamRLBaker said:
"BiG_Weasel said:
"Or, what they could do is stop making crap consoles. The first Xbox had a recall on power supplies that were causing fires, the 360 has about 68% failure rate....that's 2 out of 3 will fail.  That's completely unacceptable. Imagine if any automaker had a failure rate that high...the gov't would shut them down in a heartbeat.

"

Lets see NES systems went faulty over time in that you had to blow into the system just to get games to work which ruined them even more *to completely clean them you needed a nail file and you had to open the system* Ps1 Who here had to turn their ps1's upside down or on edge to get games to play? Ps2 DRE any one? *ps2 all so had a battery recall* So yeah we still don't have proof beyond certain ""reports"" that failure rates were that high. except last i checked after reading that one guys behind the scenes thing the high failure rates happend in the test area not in the consumer release.
"
I wanted to keep my involvement in this thread comical, but this . . . 

Saying that failure rates aren't that high is insane, and comparing it to cartridge systems of old is even insaner (new word). I still have a working SNES, and I would have an NES if my cousin didn't kick it.

In the end, failure rates of all consoles are 100%, on a long enough timeline, as quoted from __________________ (name that character, I know you can), but the timeline for the Xbox is much shorter . . . probably around 20 times shorter with some builds.
Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
WilliamRLBaker said:
"BiG_Weasel said:

"

"
You must agree though that the 360 failures are far more widespread and common than those of the past. I don't know a single person with the original 360 that they bought. Btw, I wasn't aware the PS1's had any hardware issues, I never had to do that to get my games to work, nor anyone else. 
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BiG_Weasel

PS1's had a problem in the original design. They put the lens/laser assembly above the CPU, which lead to heat issues. However, they recognized the problem, and went back and switched it to the other side, fixing the problem.  This is completely unlike Microsoft, who knows exactly what the problem is (heat causes the heatsink on the GPU's clip to break), and haven't done jack about it. Their answer is reducing heat by adding less-heat-producing parts, which still hasn't fixed the cause.  It would seem to me that doing a marginally complicated redesign would be less expensive, and build better PR, than the route they took- building horrible PR, dissatisfied customers, bad press, and very high cost.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead
SathingtonWaltz said:
"WilliamRLBaker said:
"BiG_Weasel said:

"

"
You must agree though that the 360 failures are far more widespread and common than those of the past. I don't know a single person with the original 360 that they bought. Btw, I wasn't aware the PS1's had any hardware issues, I never had to do that to get my games to work, nor anyone else. "
No. We just live in he age of high speed internet so we're hearing about these failures all the time. If we had internet like this back in the days of earlier systems, we'd hear just as much.