Microsoft Shouldn't take original xbox off of live

gogobomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gogobomb

I mean sure itll help the 360 but they shouldnt take it off considering its awesome and the sega dreamcast servers are still up, i mean maybe they could put on a different server? who agrees?

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

That's not a very convincing argument. But them taking it off doesn't affect me because I never played an original Xbox online.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I know. Now I'll never be able to go back and experience great titles. 

C'mon, do you need over 100 friends? I don't think so.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By EpicSteve

Halo 2 isn't on Games on Demand, and Live is getting shutdown. Re-release in the future? Just sayin'.

I bought a 360, I upgraded.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hunkulese
@AlwaysAngry said:
" I know. Now I'll never be able to go back and experience great titles.  C'mon, do you need over 100 friends? I don't think so. "
What? If you're trying to be sarcastic you've got to put a little bit more work into it. You'll still be able to play Xbox games. You just can't play them online. I think there's maybe three games left that have more than six people playing online. If you're not into them now you probably never will be.
AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AlwaysAngry
@Hunkulese said:
" @AlwaysAngry said:
" I know. Now I'll never be able to go back and experience great titles.  C'mon, do you need over 100 friends? I don't think so. "
What? If you're trying to be sarcastic you've got to put a little bit more work into it. You'll still be able to play Xbox games. You just can't play them online. I think there's maybe three games left that have more than six people playing online. If you're not into them now you probably never will be. "
I wasn't being sarcastic and I was talking about Halo 2...dick.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hitchenson

Woah, what happened to all the posts that were here a second ago? 

EDIT: Oh, the OP made the same topic twice. Right.

CandleJakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By CandleJakk

I personally think they should, as it's hanging around has hampered the LIVE service, whilst everything else on XBox has developed and evolved. I appreciate people still love Halo 2, but seriously, a 360 isn't expensive, and nor is Halo 3, or ODST so you can get all the maps.

urban_ryoga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By urban_ryoga

Even if they kept it up, my current  Live user name is banned on the old xbox architecture. I did nothing wrong, but somehow the old xbox finds my name offensive while the current one doesn't.

DJbruce92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By DJbruce92
@EpicSteve: I'd pay full price if they released the version that was on Vista with the achievements.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

If it's limiting the growth of XBOXLive, then the original game servers need to be shut down. All for the greater good.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By meteora

Not sure how they managed to screw up the coding and architecture for 360's XBL, but if that's the case then you might as well cut it off. Most of the support for the console was already cut off when the 360 came out 5 years ago, so I see nothing wrong with this.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By KingBroly

Well, with the original Xbox, Live was something you had to get separately and wasn't built into the console; every game had to access Live individually.  You weren't on Live until you connected in-game.  

I'm guessing it's mainly due to the Friends list limit that they're taking this stuff offline; heck supposedly some 360 games still have a problem with viewing friends.  My bet is at E3 they'll announce a new cap of 250 friends.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By cstrang

It's just business.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

They have supported Xbox Live v1 for five years AFTER they stopped development on their console. 

What more do you want?! 

@KingBroly: Well, beyond that, there are other things that they'd probably like to do with Live that go beyond any of the stuff we can think of right now, but those advancements are held back by XBLv1.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By KingBroly

I'm not saying XBL1 isn't holding XBL back.  I'm just giving some reasons as to why it is/what they could do with that freedom.  I think they should permanently discount the Xbox Originals too, especially the Multiplayer only/heavily focused ones.  I don't see how them charging $15 for that without some kind of warning about no online can be legal.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By cornbredx

It basically makes any XBOX orignal title that had mainly multiplayer components useless. 

Not many of those (I know, Halo games had popular multiplayer... which you can get on PC btw) so I dont see a purpose to continue to have it if not many are using it.  

That being said your argument is moot as you pointed to a now defunct system being online still as something to lean on as a reason they should keep it up. Bare in mind, sega doesnt make consoles anymore. I dont know how they keep servers up for dreamcast if thats true but its probably on one of their servers they use for other stuff and its possible its not taking up to much resources for them to care that much.  
 That would be my guess.  
Granted Microsoft COULD have made a seperate server model for XBL on 360, but from a business stand point why would they if the one they have works? That doesnt make sense as its pretty expensive to setup these network architectures they use so the way they did it is more cost effective. 

To me this is the reason local and LAN multiplayer should be on online capable games (which most original XBOX games with multiplayer had btw). 
I dont know, I dont see a reason for it to be up anymore if its not used that heavily and is using up resources that could be used in other areas for the modern console.  

Just my thoughts on that.
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Jambones
@cstrang said:
" It's just business. "
Sadly, yeah. Would be nice to have some code released for clever folks to make dedicated home servers.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

so true, they shouldn't take it down. i don't play xbox 1 anymore but i'm sure there are still people who are playing xbox and still playing on live.