Microsoft Shows Retail Games On Demand, Avatar Costumes

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
Following its downright star-studded press conference this morning, Microsoft hosted a Q&A session with Xbox Live general manager Marc Whitten to talk about some announcements that didn't make it into the briefing, and to go into a little more depth on some of the morning's Live-related news.

Games on Demand

Buy it online, 20 bones.
Buy it online, 20 bones.
Microsoft is adding a new service to sell full retail Xbox 360 games over Xbox Live. The service is launching in August with about 30 games, with more coming online every week. Mass Effect, BioShock, Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, and Crackdown are among the initial wave I can see on the demo screen.

You can buy the games directly with a credit card, and Mass Effect is being shown at a price of $19.99. Wait a minute, that's real American money! No Microsoft points to be seen here. That doesn't mean MS points are disappearing completely, Whitten said.

Whitten reiterated that game-related avatar items are forthcoming. They'll fall into two categories--costumes and props--that will be more elaborate than the current clothing options. He showed a full set of Halo ODST armor as a full costume, and some props like cheerleader pom poms and a remote-control miniature Warthog as bonus items you can dress up your digital self with.

No Caption Provided
Predictably, an avatar clothing marketplace is also on the way that will sell avatar stuff at prices ranging from free to "slightly more than free." 

More XBLA Games

This year's Summer of Arcade release schedule will include Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Epic's new Metroid-style side-scrolling action game Shadow Complex, and a new version of the motorcycle physics game Trials HD. Oh yeah, and a new 3D-graphics remake of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time.

The company also confirmed The Secret of Monkey Island is coming to Live arcade as a new Special Edition that appears to have new, high-res artwork. Here's a trailer for that.

On-Demand 1080P HD

Microsoft is achieving "instant" 1080P playback on the Xbox 360 with some background downloading and buffering tricks. You'll need around an 8 megabit download to get 1080P with 5.1 audio instantly, though you can still download a movie and watch it later if your connection speed is an issue.

Live Television on the Xbox

The newly announced Sky partnership will let UK Xbox 360 users watch live television programming like sports events. No such new features are being announced for the States yet, however, though Whitten said users should look at what's being done in the UK as an example of the company's ambition for other territories. So maybe you'll be watching the Super Bowl on your Xbox in a few years' time.

Facebook Game Integration

Tiger Woods is the first game that will integrate with your Facebook account, letting you take screenshots on the fly and post them to your Facebook news feed. Like live TV, Whitten said this was just an example of where the company wants to take these features. They won't be widespread across all games or retroactively added to old games, since the integration requires the new API Microsoft is now providing to developers.

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
Following its downright star-studded press conference this morning, Microsoft hosted a Q&A session with Xbox Live general manager Marc Whitten to talk about some announcements that didn't make it into the briefing, and to go into a little more depth on some of the morning's Live-related news.

Games on Demand

Buy it online, 20 bones.
Buy it online, 20 bones.
Microsoft is adding a new service to sell full retail Xbox 360 games over Xbox Live. The service is launching in August with about 30 games, with more coming online every week. Mass Effect, BioShock, Assassin's Creed, Oblivion, and Crackdown are among the initial wave I can see on the demo screen.

You can buy the games directly with a credit card, and Mass Effect is being shown at a price of $19.99. Wait a minute, that's real American money! No Microsoft points to be seen here. That doesn't mean MS points are disappearing completely, Whitten said.

Whitten reiterated that game-related avatar items are forthcoming. They'll fall into two categories--costumes and props--that will be more elaborate than the current clothing options. He showed a full set of Halo ODST armor as a full costume, and some props like cheerleader pom poms and a remote-control miniature Warthog as bonus items you can dress up your digital self with.

No Caption Provided
Predictably, an avatar clothing marketplace is also on the way that will sell avatar stuff at prices ranging from free to "slightly more than free." 

More XBLA Games

This year's Summer of Arcade release schedule will include Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, Epic's new Metroid-style side-scrolling action game Shadow Complex, and a new version of the motorcycle physics game Trials HD. Oh yeah, and a new 3D-graphics remake of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time.

The company also confirmed The Secret of Monkey Island is coming to Live arcade as a new Special Edition that appears to have new, high-res artwork. Here's a trailer for that.

On-Demand 1080P HD

Microsoft is achieving "instant" 1080P playback on the Xbox 360 with some background downloading and buffering tricks. You'll need around an 8 megabit download to get 1080P with 5.1 audio instantly, though you can still download a movie and watch it later if your connection speed is an issue.

Live Television on the Xbox

The newly announced Sky partnership will let UK Xbox 360 users watch live television programming like sports events. No such new features are being announced for the States yet, however, though Whitten said users should look at what's being done in the UK as an example of the company's ambition for other territories. So maybe you'll be watching the Super Bowl on your Xbox in a few years' time.

Facebook Game Integration

Tiger Woods is the first game that will integrate with your Facebook account, letting you take screenshots on the fly and post them to your Facebook news feed. Like live TV, Whitten said this was just an example of where the company wants to take these features. They won't be widespread across all games or retroactively added to old games, since the integration requires the new API Microsoft is now providing to developers.

wwfundertaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 25

#2  Edited By wwfundertaker

Crazy stuff microsoft are doing, awesome

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By choffy21

Sony and Nintendo will have a tough act to follow after Microsoft today!

John

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By John

I wish they would tie-in achievements with avatar props/costumes. You know, that be nice. I could also pay for them, I don't mind.

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vendetta

So looking forward to the Monkey Island remake!

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#6  Edited By MeatSim

Yes finally some cool stuff for my avatar to wear and I am liking the Games on Demand.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Hitchenson

I'll pay so much for that armour.

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mussbus999

Does the live movie streaming cost money? Like do i have to buy something then can i watch it instantly instead of downloading?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zombie2011

hmm i was just about to pick up mass effect for 14 bones. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MeierTheRed

I´m still not sure about the new art style in Monkey Island, there is just something about it dont like.

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#11  Edited By giyanks22

Microsoft...way to kick off E3...Sony and Nintendo cannot top that..

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Manks

I'm glad that they're expanding with the avatars and the other stuff is pretty great as well.  Games on Demand is another factor in persuading me to a bigger HDD.

euge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By euge

Not an xbox owner but the ability to watch live television in the uk is pretty good since I personally don't get to watch any premiership matches due to my built in refusal to pay subscription fees for anything, big reason for not wanting an xbox. But like I say, exciting for all those that do and don't mind those extra costs.

RyShe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By RyShe

I haope TV stuff can come to america, Thated be so nice if I could just have internet, no cable

ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By ht101

Microsoft did a great job and took a big jab at Nintendo with their 'we are not going to bore you with figures and sales and stuff like that' line.  I wonder how Sony and Nintendo can top this because there was so much good stuff to come from this presser.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ptc

Retail Games on demand - this is the true megaton announcement.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By RenegadeSaint

Wow, I can't wait for the Monkey Island remake.  Microsoft's console is looking ridiculously good right now.  I wonder what tricks Sony and Nintendo have in store for their conferences.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should've announced the retail games for download at the press conference. It may not be "big," but it's still kinda noteworthy.

deaux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deaux

If they put MLB on the xbox, I'd cancel my cable.  Here's hoping.

Protoroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Protoroll
John said:
I wish they would tie-in achievements with avatar props/costumes. You know, that be nice. I could also pay for them, ... [more]
Yeah like they do with some achievements. I'm so proud of my PGR 4 avatar.
Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Renegade

Pretty mediocre conference at best. A couple of exclusives that look decent, but went completely downhill when they decided to try and be the Wii. I'll put money on that motion control stuff costing $250 dollars.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By spiceninja

I saw the map during Shadow Complex and thought "Yep, that's Metroid and I'm buying it". Can't wait for that game.

DawnShinto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DawnShinto

I really like the idea of renting games digitally, kinda makes me happy I just bought a 120 HD.....

NAZAR3NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NAZAR3NE
@ptc: I totally agree! Retail games on demand are one of the things I've been waiting for on consoles... this is huge. Maybe FFXIII will be downloadable and that version will be unchanged as if it were on Blue Ray.
AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AgentofChaos

I hope the Xbox Hard Drives go on sale otherwise forget retail downloads :\

Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Cerza
AgentofChaos said:
My thoughts exactly, or Microsoft is going to have to change it's policy regarding the redownloading of games you have already purchased and downloaded, because full retail 360 games will eat up hard drive space like no tomorrow.
Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kohe321

The Monkey Island remake is one of the best news ever out of E3!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By RHCPfan24

Cool stuff all around. The summer of Arcade month doesn't sound as mind-blowing as last year's though.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PercyChuggs

As someone who bought a launch $360 and has no desire to spend $100 for a proprietary Xbox 360 hard drive, I don't give a crap about downloadable games. Most of those games will be $5-10 cheaper for physical copies at game stores.

sdauz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sdauz
@Renegade: dude avatars are nothing like the wii in susbsantiative terms.....c'mon halo avatar that awesome
Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Nasar7
@Cerza:
@Cerza said:
"
AgentofChaos said:
My thoughts exactly, or Microsoft is going to have to change it's policy regarding the redownloading of games you have already purchased and downloaded, because full retail 360 games will eat up hard drive space like no tomorrow. "
Don't forget the fact that M$ only allows your Gamertag to be linked to one HD at a time and how big a pain in the ass that is. ppl with RROD issues know what I'm talking about.
Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32  Edited By Aaron_G

Good stuff. 

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I can finally sink my hands into Crackdown.

Teoball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Teoball

The Monkey island special edition got me more exited than anything shown at E3 so far. Hopefully nintendo and/or sony can top that.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kazona

I'm glad I don't have a credit card anymore because if I did I'd go beyond broke buying all those games online...

Avatar image for pissedoffthewitch
pissedoffthewitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

totally buying Monkey Island

wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By wh1terav3n

I love that they're tossing in clothes with achievements too! Just look @ the dashboard :)

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Media_Master

That is a lot of data to store onto a hard drive

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#39  Edited By natetodamax

I hope I can outfit my avatar with a pair of T-51b Power Armor.