• 53 results
#1 Posted by hoossy (933 posts) -

How relevant is Wii U's Gamepad when Microsoft has turned every tablet/smartphone into a gaming/entertainment controller?

#2 Posted by forkboy (1135 posts) -

I don't know, I haven't had a chance to use either yet.

#3 Edited by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

I can totally see publishers and developers spending extra time and money to ensure critical game functionality for many touchscreen tablets and phones. SmartGlass is the future (the future, future, uture)

EDIT: Remember when Sony tried to kill Wii hype with Sixaxis? Yeah, this is MS's version of that, except for the WiiU.

#4 Posted by MooseyMcMan (10889 posts) -

Nintendo's is also a controller, and bundled with every Wii U. That means that developers know everyone has access to it. Not the case on 360. I don't have a tablet, and many people don't. So they can't make that stuff integral to the experience. Also, it's not built into the controller, so you'd have to be switching back and forth between the two, which would be more of a hassle.

#5 Posted by JJOR64 (18955 posts) -

@MooseyMcMan said:

Nintendo's is also a controller, and bundled with every Wii U. That means that developers know everyone has access to it. Not the case on 360. I don't have a tablet, and many people don't. So they can't make that stuff integral to the experience. Also, it's not built into the controller, so you'd have to be switching back and forth between the two, which would be more of a hassle.

This really. Plus you can also play Wii U games on the Wii U Gamepad as well without needing to look at the TV.

#6 Edited by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

I don't own a smartphone/tablet so I will never use the smartglass thing because I don't feel like paying the ridiculous price of one of those devices just to do stupid things on the x-box. While there are a lot of people that own smartphones/tablets, I still think there are more people out there like myself who do not own one nor do they intend to buy one then there are with them. I'm sure you will need a gold subscription to use it anyway; which I refuse to pay for.

That high price of entry is what will hurt the microsoft one, and not being able to know that every user will have one will keep developers from incorporating big game changing gameplay elements with it. Where as on the WiiU, it comes packed in with the system and they know that if you are playing a game on that system then you are going to have access to one. Plus the WiiU has the controller built into it, where as on the 360 you will need to keep switching between the controller and the video device.

#7 Posted by crusader8463 (14419 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

I can totally see publishers and developers spending extra time and money to ensure critical game functionality for many touchscreen tablets and phones. SmartGlass is the future (the future, future, uture)

EDIT: Remember when Sony tried to kill Wii hype with Sixaxis? Yeah, this is MS's version of that, except for the WiiU.

While I agree that it's just a rush to me too what they are doing, WiiU is doing the exact same in reverse. That classic controller they announced last night just looks like a 360 controller. Everyone is copying everyone. lol

#8 Posted by EXTomar (4670 posts) -

In general I'm not convinced either scheme will work well.

#9 Posted by Kaiserreich (690 posts) -

@crusader8463: Pretty much sums up my feelings. The whole microsoft glass thing seems really gimmicky and only for the 1% of the population who owns an xbox and a tablet.

#10 Edited by Sin4profit (2923 posts) -

Even if you were to assume everyone had a tablet/phone to use with Microsoft Smart Glass there's not yet any evidence that the thing can real-time interact with the console which is what WiiU is aiming for. It's another case of Microsoft shoehorning new things into their system to keep it alive for as long as they can so i wouldn't be so quick to even compare the two.

It's just a matter of being too soon to have a solid opinion.

#11 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -
@MooseyMcMan said:

Also, it's not built into the controller, so you'd have to be switching back and forth between the two, which would be more of a hassle.

Exactly. I have a tablet, and it still seems real useless to me.
#12 Posted by bchampnd (108 posts) -

It all comes down to implementation. The WiiU's Gamepad is the console's controller so I have to imagine that it will be put to better use in games. The problems I see for Smart Glass from a development side are that

1. not everyone has a smartphone/tablet so making a new feature for a game that incorporates Smart Glass is only appealing to a fraction of the audience so might not be a cost effective strategy and
  2. developers will need to develop software for iOS, Android and Windows in order to avoid shrinking the already diminished audience for such a product.

Smartphones, I believe, now make up over 50% of the mobile phones used in the US and tablet ownership is on the rise but I just can't see this working out. These are just a few of my early questions: Will the different mobile platforms vie for exclusivity with respect to Smart Glass capabilities for certain games (this bonus content available exclusively on iOS)? Will Microsoft try to push Windows Phone devices and its own OS? Can developers get the software to run smoothly on the various versions of Android and all of the different devices on that platform? (Being an Android user, I can say that most apps developed specifically for Android don't even run that smoothly except for on the specific devices for which they were developed - meaning if you don't have a certain chipset you're not getting the proper experience.)

It also just seems like the Smart Glass could be more of a hassle than using the Gamepad. Are you supposed to pick up your phone or tablet mid-firefight in a game? On the WiiU, it's just a short glance down to the controller but Smart Glass would require you to pick up your mobile device (which may require you to put down your actual controller). It would also probably require your mobile device's screen to be on during the duration of your play session which means you'd want to have it connected to a power supply or you'll be out of battery pretty quickly.

Not trying to be too negative because I could see some very cool uses but I just don't see it happening.

#13 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

I think the fact that Smart Glass works with any smartphone or tablet means it will be a big thing, instead of if it had just been for Win 8 tablets and phones. I guess it lets people develop games for 360 and Wii U while leaving out the PS3.

#14 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Why do people think smartglass is an answer to Wii U? It's just for navigation on a web browser, and seeing movie info, come on now.

#15 Posted by MildMolasses (3219 posts) -
@Kaiserreich said:

@crusader8463: Pretty much sums up my feelings. The whole microsoft glass thing seems really gimmicky and only for the 1% of the population who owns an xbox and a tablet.

I think you are greatly underestimating the number of people with access to both, as it also extends to smartphones, which a hell of a lot of people have. I doubt anything integral to the experience will ever be implemented this way (just look at how often Kinect integration is just voice commands) but I could see there being a few interesting compliments made by some developers.
#16 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

I'm looking forward to Smart Glass. I wouldn't see myself using it for gaming, but I would definitely use it for watching movies and browsing the Internet. The PS3's browser is absolute garbage with a controller, and being able to use my phone or tablet to navigate is probably the best way to implement the Xbox IE without a keyboard and mouse. It's basically a suped up version of Apple's AirPlay.

#17 Posted by EXTomar (4670 posts) -

We just need to ask one question: Do we need another remote or controller for the XBox 360? So far the answer is a giant "No" where the fact it might be a phone or a tablet or your shoe becomes irrelevant.

#18 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

Physical controls. Buttons, sticks and triggers. Touch interfaces, as versatile as they can be, will never replace physical interfaces. Simple as that.

#19 Posted by Cloneslayer (1626 posts) -

Well I'm defiantly not going to get a Wii U and at some point I might get a tablet. So I guess Smart Glass wins by default.

#20 Posted by Driam (159 posts) -

I'm with the South Park dude. Keep your dumbass tablets out of my video games.

#21 Posted by hershelgeorgelives (78 posts) -

Nintendo's is better because it has the controller bits around the screen. As for which one will get more support, all depends on which is more popular.

#22 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I think it's pretty dumb and I own both a smartphone and a tablet.

#23 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: Because they showed it working with games in the same way that (it is assumed) the Wii U will use it's touchscreen. They made a big point of it being an interactive part of games as well as for video/browsers.

The way I see it, it'll just make it easy for Wii U features (that might have otherwise been exclusive to the Wii U version) to come over to the 360 version. If developers are making games that require a touchscreen and would have been Wii U exclusive, well, that won't be the case now. They'll be able to release them on 360 too, with a 'SmartGlass compatible device required' note. It's not super exciting (in the same way that, really, the touchscreen on Wii U isn't super exciting) but I guarantee Nintendo are pissed. Their whole 'unique' thing they've been using for the Wii U (mainly in last night's pre-E3 video) is definitely less unique now.

#24 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

@BestUsernameEver: Because they showed it working with games in the same way that (it is assumed) the Wii U will use it's touchscreen. They made a big point of it being an interactive part of games as well as for video/browsers.

The way I see it, it'll just make it easy for Wii U features (that might have otherwise been exclusive to the Wii U version) to come over to the 360 version. If developers are making games that require a touchscreen and would have been Wii U exclusive, well, that won't be the case now. They'll be able to release them on 360 too, with a 'SmartGlass compatible device required' note. It's not super exciting (in the same way that, really, the touchscreen on Wii U isn't super exciting) but I guarantee Nintendo are pissed. Their whole 'unique' thing they've been using for the Wii U (mainly in last night's pre-E3 video) is definitely less unique now.

Did they actually say it can be used with games? All I saw was the web browser demo and movie info.

#25 Posted by avenlaya (60 posts) -

I think the Xbox Glass thing is interesting, but won't make a big impact on games. Devs will have to assume that the consumer has the tablet or phone that want to use with it. Devs with Wii U at least know everyone has the extra screen. Plus the Wii U controller does eveything the glass does. Including putting stuff right onto the TV. Glass has one advantage that the Wii U doesnt have at the moment, and that's with the movie selection and details of the movie. But who knows, maybe Nintendo will update it sooner or later to do the same thing at a later date.

Both the Wii U and the glass have its advantages, but for games, the Wii U controller best the Glass.

#26 Posted by xyzygy (9943 posts) -

Why are you people saying that this won't work because you don't have a tablet? It works with smartphones too. They guy is specifically using a Lumia in the the announcement. Maybe extra perks will be given to Windows Phones, hopefully. Love mine.

#27 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: Yeah, the demoed it with Madden (or some other American Football game) and Halo 4. The football game had them drawing up plays on the tablet in game and the Halo 4 one had them unlocking Waypoints that would transmit all the usual extra info/audio video diary things to the tablet. Also, they were recieving multiplayer invites on the tablet and setting up a multiplayer game.

Microsoft also detailed that it plans game developers to integrate SmartGlass into their games, showing a trailer of conceptual implementations. For example, gamers could use SmartGlass on their tablet or phone to select plays and formations in Madden or FIFA, or view unlocked lore material in Halo, or even jump right into a multiplayer match in multiplayer games, all right from a mobile device.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/326045#ixzz1wr1mpfo8
#28 Posted by EXTomar (4670 posts) -

@Butano said:

I'm looking forward to Smart Glass. I wouldn't see myself using it for gaming, but I would definitely use it for watching movies and browsing the Internet. The PS3's browser is absolute garbage with a controller, and being able to use my phone or tablet to navigate is probably the best way to implement the Xbox IE without a keyboard and mouse. It's basically a suped up version of Apple's AirPlay.

This did catch my eye: Why would you browse a web page by remote from your phone or tablet when you can browse a web page from the phone or tablet??? Especially in this context, it is easier to pass your phone or tablet to another than to get the TV and 360 going just to show them a web page.

This is a giant "solution looking for a problem".

#29 Posted by masterpaperlink (1836 posts) -

Not standardized soo its a gimmick

#30 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

@BestUsernameEver: Yeah, the demoed it with Madden (or some other American Football game) and Halo 4. The football game had them drawing up plays on the tablet in game and the Halo 4 one had them unlocking Waypoints that would transmit all the usual extra info/audio video diary things to the tablet. Also, they were recieving multiplayer invites on the tablet and setting up a multiplayer game.

Microsoft also detailed that it plans game developers to integrate SmartGlass into their games, showing a trailer of conceptual implementations. For example, gamers could use SmartGlass on their tablet or phone to select plays and formations in Madden or FIFA, or view unlocked lore material in Halo, or even jump right into a multiplayer match in multiplayer games, all right from a mobile device.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/326045#ixzz1wr1mpfo8

I guess that's pretty cool, but who is going to play on the controller, then constantly pick up their phone while playing? I see what their trying to do, but it seems unwieldy.

#31 Posted by bibamatt (1086 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver: Yeah it totally does.

I think, if nothing else, it could really negatively effect Wii U touch stuff. If developers go in thinking 'aw, we can use this on Xbox too, now! That's good! But not everyone will have SmartGlass devices, so we better make the touch stuff unimportant to the overall experience." Either that or they're back to Wii U exclusives. And I don't think they'll be able to pass up on that multiformat goodness.

#32 Posted by JayCee (582 posts) -

I missed the announcement so please help me understand this.

Is Smartglass an actual device that you have to buy, or will it be an app that can be download on existing tablets/smart phones?

#33 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@bibamatt said:

@BestUsernameEver: Yeah it totally does.

I think, if nothing else, it could really negatively effect Wii U touch stuff. If developers go in thinking 'aw, we can use this on Xbox too, now! That's good! But not everyone will have SmartGlass devices, so we better make the touch stuff unimportant to the overall experience." Either that or they're back to Wii U exclusives. And I don't think they'll be able to pass up on that multiformat goodness.

So Wii U's whole thing is tablet gaming on a home console, but Sony has the vita and the ps3, and Microsoft has smartglass. If Sony and Microsoft actually added some functionality to these devices and pushed devs, what advantage does the wii u have? Very interesting.

#34 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@JayCee said:

Is Smartglass an actual device that you have to buy, or will it be an app that can be download on existing tablets/smart phones?

No, software for Windows phone, Iphone, Ipad, android and windows 8 tablets, you navigate or get extra context on what's going on with the xbox. EG: you get cast and story info while watching a movie on the xbox.

#35 Edited by xyzygy (9943 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@JayCee said:

No, software for Windows phone, Iphone, Ipad, android and windows 8 tablets, you navigate or get extra context on what's going on with the xbox. EG: you get cast and story info while watching a movie on the xbox.

Pretty sure you can also control it as a remote. I have a WP now and there is an Xbox Companion app which allows you to navigate the dashboard with your phone. It works well but there is a bit of lag, which they have apparently fixed by this "Smart Glass" thing.

#36 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1098 posts) -

I think the Smart Glass looks pretty cool. But you have to keep in mind that it's not really meant to be a gaming app. It can be, yea, but they clearly are trying to get you to integrate all your devices with your 360 so that it becomes your media center. It's like why Apple makes it so easy to use your iPad with the Apple TV and why the WiiU tablet can act as a remote control. The more they control how you get your media, the more likely you are to buy it from them.

#37 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@JayCee said:

Pretty sure you can also control it as a remote. I have a WP now and there is an Xbox Companion app which allows you to navigate the dashboard with your phone. It works well but there is a bit of lag, which they have apparently fixed by this "Smart Glass" thing.

Yeah, me too, but it works well enough from what I have used.

#38 Posted by JayCee (582 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

@xyzygy said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@JayCee said:

So that, as Alex would say, is a thing.

Interesting enough concept, but I'm not sure what the demand is for it. We will see how it turns out I suppose, but I don't think Smartglass will be the WiiU killer that they are hoping for.

#39 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

There's a better chance that I'll try SmartGlass someday.

#40 Posted by theveej (824 posts) -

I think the smartglass stuff is more for the future than the now. A lot of projections show that the market penetration of smartphone and tablet are gonna increase a lot during the next 5 years.

As far as implementation goes it depends on if poeple use it or not, a lot of people have smartphones already and people love using their tablet for navigating netflix etc. I do think this sort of integration is necessity going forward with the next gen. MS want the 360 and next xbox as media hubs, and the masses are much more comfortable using smartphones/tablet to navigate stuff than controllers or even the kinect.

As far as game implementation goes I think you will see the same stuff as the Wii U stuff (third part stuff) like extended HUD etc. However Nintendo will probably integrate its touch stuff a lot better than any other 3rd part (like DS and 3DS stuff)

For me personally I love the feature of just putting video with swap from tablet/phone to TV, imagine loading a QL on ur tablet and then swipe it to ur TV; that is implementation that I know I will use.

Here a shocking prediction, more people will have tablet/smartphones than Wii U tablet controllers in the 5 years....... that seems a pretty good install base for smartglass.

#41 Posted by xyzygy (9943 posts) -

@JayCee said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@xyzygy said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@JayCee said:

Interesting enough concept, but I'm not sure what the demand is for it. We will see how it turns out I suppose, but I don't think Smartglass will be the WiiU killer that they are hoping for.

Personally, I just see it as an inevitable byproduct of the connection between Phone + W8 + Xbox. I don't think it's meant to really serve the same purpose at the Gamepad is.

#42 Posted by Butano (1731 posts) -

@EXTomar said:

@Butano said:

This did catch my eye: Why would you browse a web page by remote from your phone or tablet when you can browse a web page from the phone or tablet??? Especially in this context, it is easier to pass your phone or tablet to another than to get the TV and 360 going just to show them a web page.

This is a giant "solution looking for a problem".

It depends on what's capable of the browser. If it allows Flash and HTML5 video libraries, it would be neat to go to websites on a big screen to watch videos. I don't own a Roku or an Apple TV, don't really want another box taking up space, but if the browser is capable of navigating through Giantbomb or Tested or whatever, it's probably better than trying to navigate through than on a tablet or smartphone, given how resource intensive the sites currently are. I know trying to watch a livestream TNT on my Asus Transformer is an absolute nightmare to try to get working.

#43 Posted by Lucien21 (108 posts) -

I think it was a n interesting concept and probably a reaction to the Wii U.

It will be interesting to see how they implement it. Developers would need to make sure that it has a form factor that fits a smart phone screen and a iPad screen. It also doesn't connect directly to the console like the Wii U. This would mean that the inputs need to go to the cloud and back down to your console.

It could be laggy and not quick enough for game playing, but fine for stats screens etc.

#44 Posted by flyingace16021 (164 posts) -

@bchampnd: While I agree that not everyone has tablets or smart phones, enough people do to make it worth it. The audience that Microsoft is shooting for has an ipad, has an iphone. My family, whose gameplaying experience includes the Wii and that's it, they have an Xbox now. And my father is constantly using his iphone, and my mother loves it as well. They know how to use an ipad, there's no learning involved, and they don't have to buy anything. WiiU gamepads might be better on the WiiU, but the fact that they would have to buy a whole new system might make the difference. But your point is taken, It all comes down to implementation. Can't wait to see the WiiU being used in actual games.

#45 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@JayCee said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@xyzygy said:

@BestUsernameEver said:

@JayCee said:

Personally, I just see it as an inevitable byproduct of the connection between Phone + W8 + Xbox. I don't think it's meant to really serve the same purpose at the Gamepad is.

DING DING DING, We have someone who knows what they're talking about. Smartglass is just something to say all of their platforms are united.

#46 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

I wasn't really that impressed with the smart glass demo. It looked clunky and unnecessary. It also looked like a feature I would never use.

#47 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7615 posts) -

I never really understood why people have been so hostile towards the Wii U. The game pad seems far less gimmicky and much more like something that could actually add substance to games.. Even if that's nothing more than a quick way to access your inventory or map screen. Microsoft have definitely stolen a lot of Nintendo's thunder by announcing smart glass, since everything the Wii U is capable of doing can now be replicated on the 360. It's not going to be quite as intuitive, since it isn't automatically built into the controller.. But it's interesting.

#48 Posted by tourgen (4464 posts) -
@hoossy said:

How relevant is Wii U's Gamepad when Microsoft has turned every tablet/smartphone into a gaming/entertainment controller?

It all comes down to the details, all the nitty gritty details of how each actually works (or doesnt) and how well it's supported by 3rd parties.  

Right now they're both just hopes and promises.
#49 Posted by Turambar (6733 posts) -

I'd assume what we saw is more a prototype for what'll be a far more comprehensive component in next xbox console.  That said, unless they pack in a compatible smart phone or tablet with consoles, few to no games will utilize such technology in a way that is integral to the game experience.

#50 Posted by hoossy (933 posts) -

@BestUsernameEver said:

Why do people think smartglass is an answer to Wii U? It's just for navigation on a web browser, and seeing movie info, come on now.

Smart Glass is obviously Microsoft's answer to Wii U. I'm not saying it is a great answer, but clearly they are responding to Nintendo's touchscreen integration.

The things about Smart Glass that got me excited is the push feature and using it while watching Game of Thrones... but I just love Game of Thrones.