Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BestUsernameEver
(Maybe) the future.
(Maybe) the future.

It seems augmented reality, or something close to it will be the next big thing for the new Xbox. With Samsung, microsoft says it's in test phases of the Illumiroom technology, that apparently will show gameplay from beyond your physical TV. I am all for innovation, but for some reason this doesn't excite me, maybe because my TV is in front of a large window. What are your thoughts? Do you think this is a gimmick, real breakthrough, or a nifty add on to the next xbox?

triviaman09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By triviaman09

Wait and see.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

@triviaman09 said:

Wait and see.
Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BestUsernameEver

@TooWalrus said:

@triviaman09 said:

Wait and see.
UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By UlquioKani

That video made that seem pretty awesome actually. I feel as though that could be really good for immersion for horror games or make the action feel like it is happening all around you. Damn!

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By pickassoreborn

Illumiroom is a big old gimmick in the way Kinect - and 3D - is. People will grab Illumiroom for being cool, though you'll need that same huge living room that Microsoft love to keep showing to me. My living room is English-sized, and as such is useless for jumping around like an arse. I can see Illumiroom being a must-buy purchase for hardcore gaming dudes who want to see more of the FPS they're playing, or be more immersed in the action. Saying that, wouldn't Illumiroom give those poeple an unfair advantage in FPS games?

I can also imagine Illumiroom being a hit with stoners.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I'll wait... But I'll personally read about it later after the thing has actually happened. It seems pretty gimmicky. But it's a gimmick that I kind of like. Makes video games possibly more of an experience? Or not... I don't know I don't have details!!!!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *FART NOISES* BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *THROWS FLAMING GARBAGE*

bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigsmoke77

This has nothing to do with the next xbox...

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By alternate

It is tech that is built in to the display. The next console might well support it but it isn't in the box.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Justin258

I clicked this link expecting things like tech specs. Or maybe the way it's going to look. Or maybe something about the controller. Instead...

...haven't you made a thread about this before? Or was that someone else?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Snail
ApolloBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By ApolloBob

Eat a lot of food and then urinate. Sate and wee.

coilcloudvaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By coilcloudvaper

They'll have their own event like they did with the SURFACE "Which was a hardware announcement" a month or two before E3.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kerned

@Scooper said:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *FART NOISES* BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO *THROWS FLAMING GARBAGE*

OmegaChosen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By OmegaChosen

All I want is for them to do is to release one more console that's basically just a better and more powerful version of current gen, have the next gen last like 8-10 years, during which they're free to fuck around with whatever innovative stuff they want and figure out how to not make it a gimmick instead of just throwing out some random thing that worked and hoping it rakes in the cash.

Just one more traditional console upgrade that will last a while and then you'll probably have hit the graphics limit and you can take your time to find something that works.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By penguindust

It's obviously a gimmick, but a harmless enough one. Two things, the projector better be wireless from the console and lets see how this thing works in less than optimal settings.

Some of the video looks like it could really increase motion-sickness is some people.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Snail

@OmegaChosen said:

All I want is for them to do is to release one more console that's basically just a better and more powerful version of current gen, have the next gen last like 8-10 years, during which they're free to fuck around with whatever innovative stuff they want and figure out how to not make it a gimmick instead of just throwing out some random thing that worked and hoping it rakes in the cash.

Just one more traditional console upgrade that will last a while and then you'll probably have hit the graphics limit and you can take your time to find something that works.

Why the fuck would you want another generation to last as long as this one?! Or even longer?

What are you talking about "graphics limits"? Computational power will keep increasing, and exponentially so.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Branthog

No. That illumiroom thing is an annoying gimmick. Keep that whacky shit out of the console, at least. Make it add-on. When you're already selling at a lost, make the money you're singing into each box count by putting in sweet delicious hardware that won't age quite so quickly.

I mean, what do you want more? Motion waggle shit and gimmicky "Visio behind-the-screen/out-of-thepicture" shit? Or better AI? Better audio? Networking that allows for multiplayer games with numbers as high as PCs have had for a decade? (32-64 and more).

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MikkaQ

@Snail said:

@OmegaChosen said:

Why the fuck would you want another generation to last as long as this one?! Or even longer?

Well who wants to spend 500 bucks on three game consoles every 5 years?

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Terramagi

SURPRISE, IT'S ACTUALLY THE KINECT 2

4 more years, 4 more years.

ShatterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ShatterShock

@MikkaQ said:

I don't know about 500 bucks on three consoles every 5 years, but 400 bucks on two consoles every 5 sounds right up my alley. As somebody who has lived through five console generations, the last two years of this cycle have been painful to sit through. Mobile devices are this close to matching an X-Box 360's performance for Christ's sake.

@Branthog said:

No. That illumiroom thing is an annoying gimmick. Keep that whacky shit out of the console, at least. Make it add-on. When you're already selling at a lost, make the money you're singing into each box count by putting in sweet delicious hardware that won't age quite so quickly.

I mean, what do you want more? Motion waggle shit and gimmicky "Visio behind-the-screen/out-of-thepicture" shit? Or better AI? Better audio? Networking that allows for multiplayer games with numbers as high as PCs have had for a decade? (32-64 and more).

Illumiroom will be a hit at parties. That's all that Microsoft cares about here. They know that as long as the hardware on the 720/Durango is good enough to be some sort of improvement over the 360, graphics focused gamers will have to eventually buy one and deal with sharing the platform with non-gamers.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

That proof of concept video was pretty awesome.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@MikkaQ said:

@Snail said:

@OmegaChosen said:

I would spend 500 bucks on 1 console every 5 years

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By guanophobic

$500? That's actually _really_ cheap outside the US. I'd gladly upgrade hardware for twice that every 4 years.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By kindgineer

I could honestly see illuminroom being amazing for a horror game.

hoossy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By hoossy

I'm down, Charlie Brown

Darson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers