Microsoft's Game Plan

Klairric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Klairric

So I've been thinking about the 360's history and when the next system might come out and I've realized that Microsoft has had a pretty sweet set up since launch, with one big blockbuster title each holiday season.  Obviously the 360 itself was the selling piece in 05, we had Gears 1 is 06, Halo 3 in 07, and Gears 2 in 08.

It seems that Microsoft has been trading between Gears' and Halo's each fall, and with Halo 3 ODST coming out this fall it would seems like that trend is continuing.  That would lend support to the rumors that Gears 3 will ship on 360 next year (two year dev cycle, just like Gears 2).  That would leave 2011 open to speculation. 

Personally I believe that is when they will release their next system, and what could be a better launch title than the rumored Halo 4.  I've heard that it might be being developed by Gearbox (completely rumor based, no hard facts) but regardless of who makes it there will definetly be some continuation of the Halo universe as it practically prints money.  That would leave 2012 for Gears 4 potentially (check out the Carmine brother rumors for reasoning behind a 4th gears game).

While this is wild speculation it seems pretty logical and in following with Microsoft's game plan so far, and personally I can't say I'll be dissappointed.  Anyone else have any ideas or opinions?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#2  Edited By Vinchenzo

Oh dear god, stop with the shitty Halos.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By End_Boss
Vinchenzo said:
"Oh dear god, stop with the shitty Halos."
Try harder.

Interesting theories, but I thought there would only be three Gears games, personally. Carmine A, B and C. The first one being Anthony, the second Benjamin and then an unknown "C" Carmine. One thing I want from Gears 3 is to see one of the Carmines do something really badass, even accidentally. I love the "Red Shirt" idea behind them, but I also love the characters, so it'd be cool for them to stick to that while still allowing a Carmine to be a little bit of a badass for once.

Anyway, as fun as predictions are, I don't really care. The game will be announced whenever it gets announced, and I will choose that time to start being excited about it.
jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By jimbojones

Thanks for your opinion Klairric. You know how the first Halo was the first game to release on the first xbox and just blew everyone away. Maybe they'll do the same with the next xbox and with a totally new ip (a variant of marathon). That would be really cool :)

Lieutenant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lieutenant
Vinchenzo said:
"Oh dear god, stop with the shitty Halos."
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I think it's just how it worked out. 

Gears was ready in 06
Halo 3 was ready in 07 (the time from halo 2 is very normal)
Gears was not ready in 08 (but I think epic thought they were ready--> they didn't have a beta to test their networking)
ODST should be ready in 09 (more than enough time for a shorter game)

I don't think Bungie with Halo could keep up to Epic with Gears. 
Epic seems to only care about Gears now and they're sort of half assing many of there designs as they did in UT (uninspired level design, no real changes)
Bungie on the other hand seems like the company that would redo halo if they made it unsatisfactory and they also have two other games besides ODST

That being said, while I'm sure they'll be a gears 3 soon, probably in the 2 year cycle, Halo 4 in not coming out in 11. 

According to the bungie podcast we should (although they said they don't want to promise it this time) that we will know about one their other games by the end of the year.  If we go by Halo 3 and ODST, it should be roughly a year until it comes out.  They also said that he saw stuff on the plan to 10 and he was shocked, so I'd say that that would be the end of production (why wouldn't he say 11?).

---- Anyone besides me feel like Epic would only make what you expect and is safe?  UT was, Gears was.  Both actually ultra safe, falling into the Quake clone and generic badass soldier modern wannabe sci-fi shoote categories.
With Bungie I wouldn't be suprised to see a game about Ninjas, Pirates,  and stuff like that.

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By xplodedd

I thought they said that this was the last piece in the halo saga,
but wait.. they said that halo 3 was the stunning conclusion,
and that halo 2 was the end of the road..
yeah.
i don't trust these bungie guys with anything when it comes to news reporting.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By get2sammyb

If anyone thinks they'll stop putting Halo games out they're a wee bit silly.

Halo has a massive stigma attached to the name; whether critics or gamers think the game is good or not is irrelevant - Halo is a big deal.

I just hope they manage to keep the quality consistent. For me, Halo 2 was my first experience of console shooting games online (I never totally got into Quake III Arena on the DC) and it was fucking brilliant. The single player campaign; sadly not so.

Lunarbunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Lunarbunny
SmugDarkLoser said:
---- Anyone besides me feel like Epic would only make what you expect and is safe?  UT was, Gears was.  Both actually ultra safe, falling into the Quake clone and generic badass soldier modern wannabe sci-fi shoote categories.
Of course, Halo was none of those.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
SmugDarkLoser said:
"I think it's just how it worked out. 

Gears was ready in 06
Halo 3 was ready in 07 (the time from halo 2 is very normal)
Gears was not ready in 08 (but I think epic thought they were ready--> they didn't have a beta to test their networking)
ODST should be ready in 09 (more than enough time for a shorter game)

I don't think Bungie with Halo could keep up to Epic with Gears. 
Epic seems to only care about Gears now and they're sort of half assing many of there designs as they did in UT (uninspired level design, no real changes)
Bungie on the other hand seems like the company that would redo halo if they made it unsatisfactory and they also have two other games besides ODST

That being said, while I'm sure they'll be a gears 3 soon, probably in the 2 year cycle, Halo 4 in not coming out in 11. 

According to the bungie podcast we should (although they said they don't want to promise it this time) that we will know about one their other games by the end of the year.  If we go by Halo 3 and ODST, it should be roughly a year until it comes out.  They also said that he saw stuff on the plan to 10 and he was shocked, so I'd say that that would be the end of production (why wouldn't he say 11?).

With Bungie I wouldn't be suprised to see a game about Ninjas, Pirates,  and stuff like that."

UT was vastly superior to all forms of quake, and UT is safe? if it was then 2003 and UT3 wouldn't have been spurned by fans.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Jayge_
WilliamRLBaker said:
"
UT was vastly superior to all forms of quake, and UT is safe? if it was then 2003 and UT3 wouldn't have been spurned by fans."
UT3 wasn't safe in terms of being true to the series, it was safe in terms of being a shitty generic shooter with a poor attempt at a story and crap multiplayer, the kind of game that gets demanded by console fans so often.