#1 Posted by TangoUp (314 posts) -

Excuse the word fanboy but this is a trend I have been noticing recently only because of the radical increase in its severity. I don't remember this being much of a problem more than 2 years back but recent releases in the video game industry have created a very vitriolic atmosphere for game critics.

I first witnessed this with Journey which was hailed as one of the most profound games of this generation. Any criticism was likely to be met with shock outrage and this continued with Telltale's The Walking Dead. But the two most extreme examples have been Bioshock Infinite and The Last of Us.

What's more intriguing is that I'm not seeing much variation in reviews from the major review websites. Considering Assassin's Creed got anything between 6-10 from a variety of websites, I am surprised that more and more games have started getting perfect or near perfect scores in nearly ALL reviews. This further creates an atmosphere in which the hype has convinced buyers of these titles that these are indeed the best games they have ever played. And this zealotry is the reason for the intolerance to views to the contrary.

I know the Amazon review system is exploited on a routine basis (one just needs to check the Dance with Dragons' (book) fabulous one line 5 star reviews) but the hate that 3 star reviews get for the recent games and even 4 star reviews in some cases is astounding.

Are review sites doing this in tandem with publishers to give a push to game sales regardless of system or game? It is in their interest that games sell well so that the 'industry survives' but it is creating an atmosphere of militant fanboy-ism that used to be a thing around 06-07.