MOBA/FTP game recommendations

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By themartyr

Hi, I'm investigating a number of F2P MOBA games right now. Can anyone out there recommend me games along the lines of MechWarrior Online, League of Legends, AirMech, etc.

All recommendations appreciated. It's a big bonus if the game has a chat component, whether voice or text.

Thanks!

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By psylah

Hawken will be out early next month, and is dope.

The text chat isn't great, but the in-game voice communication is very crisp.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By themartyr

@psylah: Yeah, I've already spent a bit of time with Hawken. Shall be checking it out again when it hits general release. Thanks!

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By tunaburn

dota 2 of course

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Azteck

Yo League of Legends is pretty fantastic when you've got some guys to play with.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hungry

@tunaburn:

This guy. Dota 2 is way better than League of Legends unless you are looking to play a game with a lower skill ceiling (nothing wrong with that). League of Legends also makes you grind out just to get all of your options available (something really wrong with that). Recently pretty much everyone who is already in the Dota 2 beta got like 5+ free invites and people are practically giving them away. Even I have one left if you are really interested.

Though be careful if you want to play Dota 2. It's hard and takes a long time to get any good at and people get mad when you aren't any good at it. If you're dedicated to trying to figure it out though I will help you learn how to play it.

nrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By nrain

I've played LoL and dota 2 and if you want a game to jump into, League is the one. It's much simpler and easier to get into, which doesn't make it worse than dota, just a different approach.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By themartyr

@nrain: How much time have you spent in both?

@Hungry: An invite would be great. Can you PM me?

I'm intending to spent a decent portion of time in each game.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hungry

@themartyr:

Well according to some nebulous matchmaking statistics I am in the top 16% of all people who are playing Dota 2 matchmaking right now (that doesn't mean much, there are still trashcan people in my pubs). I have played Dota 1, Heroes of Newerth, and League of Legends so I am pretty experienced with the genre. That being said, according to Steam I've logged 680 hours in Dota 2. I don't think HoN lists play time but I easily have over 1,000 matches in that game so at the very least 250 hours in that game. So let's just ballpark it at 1,000-1,200 hours in the entire genre since I played Dota 1 and League of Legends the least. My buddy Nick has almost 400 hours in Dota 2 and he is still not very good at the game, to put it into perspective.

As for actually giving you an invite, it is Steam inventory-based. So you'd have to add me to your friends' list so we can trade. If after the dizzying amount of hours you have to put in isn't enough for you to be dissuaded, my Steam profile is: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197995209711/

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themartyr

@Hungry: Haha wow. I definitely don't expect to spend hours ranging into the hundreds, let alone thousands.

Is the barrier to entry really that large?

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hungry

@themartyr:

Well you have to understand that like. You can be okay at the game and know the heroes and kind of how to play them, but the people who are in the majority of the matchmaking pretty much don't play Dota. They barely understand any of the strategy behind it. It is like comparing people who are in Gold in Starcraft 2 to people who are playing in high-level Diamond, if you are familiar with that kind of disparity in the ladder system. So like while my buddy Nick knows all the heroes and kind of understands the way the game works, he doesn't really understand any of the stuff that makes Dota really complex, deep, and truly entertaining.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By themartyr

@Hungry: So how do you learn that sort of stuff?

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Dota 2 ggwp. I hope you have nerves of steel though, and thick skin.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By themartyr

@TheDudeOfGaming: GGWP?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By TobbRobb

@themartyr: By playing way too much. And the skillroof is similar in all of the games, it just shows in different ways. I can say that as someone who has put massive amounts of time into league and less into dota. But none of those roofs are in sight. My gametime in the genre also easily exceeds a thousand hours. I'd say, don't sweat getting the most out of the games, because that really means going for the long haul. You won't master it before years of excessive play, that's just how it is.

But the barrier of entry isn't THAT high, you can probably get mostly what the games are about after a 100 or so games. Which roughly translates to 60 hours or something.

May I ask exactly what you are looking for and why?

NyxFe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By NyxFe
@themartyr said:

@TheDudeOfGaming: GGWP?

It means "Good Game, Well Played", a common comment players make after a match of sc2/dota/whatever. 

Also as a top 3.3%ish dota 2 player I am compelled to highly recommend it. 
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Ben_H

Either League of Legends or DOTA 2. I have played both, and DOTA 2 is a significantly harder game, but that doesn't mean League of Legends isn't fun. I probably play League more than DOTA 2. DOTA 2 has a ton more that you need to learn. 

Put it this way, against AI, I am disappointed if I don't get a ton of kills in LoL. In DOTA 2 I am happy to get a single kill. Yeah I am terrible.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hungry

@themartyr:

Yeah, by playing a lot and reading a lot and really having someone to teach you how things work. The game is really complicated and I am not even talking about the heroes and the items. The game is way more deep than just having a lot of heroes and items to choose from, but then on top of learning the strategy and the coordination and the heroes and items, you have to learn a lot of mechanics too and how to utilize those to the best of your advantage. Once you get all of that stuff done it is pretty much just out-playing the enemy team with your strategy and positioning and drafting.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By themartyr

@TobbRobb: I'm looking to try out a swathe of them for a research piece.

@Hungry: Have you played any MMOs? Would you rank the need for someone to guide you through as akin to that? Is DOTA 2 Freemium like LoL is?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TobbRobb

@themartyr: Everything you buy for real money in dota 2 is cosmetic, while you can buy heroes in league in addition to the cosmetics. Freemium isnt the best choice of word though, you cant buy anything to skew the balance. Owning more champions wont neccessarily make it easier to win in LoL. While if they didnt give you all heroes for free in dota, it would break the game. Because its so dependent on counterpicks and hero knowledge. They are different games.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hungry

@themartyr:

I have played a lot of MMOs. Honestly I think MMOs are way easier to get into than a game like Dota. I would akin Dota to EVE when it comes to the kind of shit that everyone expects you to know, that the average random will scoff at you for not knowing. Though just like EVE if you explain to people that you are new and don't know what you are doing people will generally be very cool with you, even if they get pretty mad because of the dumb shit you end up doing. Though understand there are tons of bad apples (especially people in the low matchmaking that think they are in "ELO Hell" but actually belong there) that will blame everything on their team even when they make mistakes.

Also Dota 2 isn't freemium. It is free. Straight-up. Besides the fact that it is in "Not beta" (Valve doesn't want to call it beta but you have to get an invite to get in), when Dota 2 officially launches to the public it will be 100% free. All the modes, all the heroes, all the items, all the mechanical, gameplay content is 100% free. The things you pay for are purely cosmetic items; cosmetic items for heroes (not skins, individual pieces), special announcer voice packs, special courier skins, etc. Did I mention these items are all made and approved of by the community, and the people who make them get a cut of the profit?

There is also a cool ticket and pennant system they have for tournaments. People hosting tournaments can sell tickets in-game so that viewers can spectate the game live (with a delay) in-client with professional commentary piped to them. They also can buy pennants for their favorite professional teams and people who have pennants get cosmetic items whenever someone in that game with the team pennant they have does something like get the first kill in a match, get a kill streak, etc.

But otherwise, all of the actual gameplay content of the game itself is 100% free.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By themartyr

@Hungry: That's very interesting stuff. Thanks for writing all of that out.

MMOs have never succeeded in grabbing my attention, but similarly require that huge time-sink to become worthwhile endeavors.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By themartyr

@TobbRobb: Which leads me to an burning issue: What is the purpose of the various LoL Champions?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TobbRobb

@themartyr: Owning your favorites, boosting a collection. Making sure you can play whatever whenever. There are several convenient reasons to get one. But you don't have to own a more than you are comfortable with and still be able to win. So its more than possible to get the ones you want with only ingame currency. Unless you are crazy and want to catch them all.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hungry

@themartyr:

You said you were doing this for academia right? I will still give you the key even if you are just interested in getting hands-on with it. I'm also willing to answer more questions if you feel the need to get more information. I have blown way too much of my free time on Dota (and other games in the genre) so I might as well do something useful with it if someone needs help.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#26  Edited By Giantstalker

I personally have had a lot of fun with World of Tanks, just about five thousand matches and counting now.

It's pretty unique, nothing else online is quite like it. It takes a radically different skill set than games like DotA or LoL, though.

I also think it's got a really solid sense of progression backed up by loads of historical vehicles and upgrades. Give it a try, it's F2P.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By themartyr

@Giantstalker: Thanks, I'll add it to the list.

@Hungry: I'll PM you now.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BisonHero

Screw everybody in this thread, play Awesomenauts. :P
Seriously though, it costs $10 and doesn't have the same complexity as Dota, but I find the platforming/fighting game method of play applied to the MOBA format far more engaging than the point and click of most MOBAs.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By Jaktajj

@themartyr: You should try playing Bloodline Champions. As a massive League of Legends fan + player - I'd actually prefer playing Bloodline Champions. Only problem is 1) None of my friends play it and 2) Not many people play it at all which means it can take a long time to find a match. I really, really wish Bloodline Champions was more popular because it's absolutely amazing when you get into a good game.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TobbRobb

@el_tajij: I played it for a while, but got a bit bored with the lack of diversity. And as you say, no one else is playing it. Was fun for a few games though.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By themartyr

@el_tajij: I shall consider it, thanks!

@Hungry: Thanks to this guy <- for his generosity. Duder o' the day.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ben_H
@Hungry said:

Though understand there are tons of bad apples (especially people in the low matchmaking that think they are in "ELO Hell" but actually belong there) that will blame everything on their team even when they make mistakes.

Those guys are my favourite. I see tons of them in SC2 and League of Legends (they're fewer and far between in SC2 but it is way funnier. When you are in Platinum with 800 games played each season, it isn't the game that is the problem...). They just can't figure out that they are the problem. I at least admit that I am horrible.  The best was when I was just learning League I was playing those co-op vs. AI games and this one dude was just trying to boss us all around and was calling us all garbage (we were in beginner co-op games, what did he expect?) so after he pinged the map for what felt like the 200,000th time and insulted us (while being a couple levels behind everyone else), one of my teammates just said "Look, you're playing a game with a bunch of beginners and you are behind the rest of us. Either shut up and play or leave because you're ruining it for us." and he just immediately shut up and started playing. It was quite satisfying to watch.
Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Nadril

Dota 2 by far. League has you grinding for seven years to unlock shit where you get it all at the start in Dota.

The cosmetic side of Dota 2 is much better as well. You need to pay for all the skins in LoL. A large majority of items in Dota 2 you can find just playing the game, and the rest are usually just time-sensitive (so a new item set can't be found for a bit). There is an entire economy built around the cosmetics for Dota 2 as well, much like TF2.

I could argue all the other points that makes Dota 2 a much more deep and interesting game but you probably wouldn't care about a lot of them right away. Really playing Dota 2 over LoL makes sense for a new player. One game you get everything at the start, the other you have to grind to get anywhere.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By themartyr

@Nadril: Thanks for the heads-up. had said words to that effect, too.

@Ben_H: Yes, people who are angry towards those new to a game have never made sense to me either. Surely you'd want to encourage newcomers?

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By phrosnite

DOTA 2 of course. LoL is for 10 years olds.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TobbRobb

@phrosnite: You are never gonna stop saying shit like that are you? I mean, its adorable and all to be that dedicated. But spewing ignorant nonsense everytime someones says moba is kind of on the pathetic side.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By phrosnite

@TobbRobb said:

@phrosnite: You are never gonna stop saying shit like that are you? I mean, its adorable and all to be that dedicated. But spewing ignorant nonsense everytime someones says moba is kind of on the pathetic side.

What ignorant nonsense? Also what is a MOBA? These games are called "DotA clones".

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TobbRobb

@phrosnite: Meh, I just posted to reinforce what I already knew. Have fun doing what you do.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By phrosnite

@TobbRobb said:

@phrosnite: Meh, I just posted to reinforce what I already knew. Have fun doing what you do.

What I can't understand is why do LoL players get upset and won't admit that LoL requires the same skill level you need to play Pyro in TF2? Play the game if you are having fun. I have no problem with that. Just don't get butthurt every time someones says "bad" things about LoL.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TobbRobb

@phrosnite: Pointing out flaws in the game and mentioning things that are bad with it is not the same as going. "OMG IZ FOR KIDS, DOTA SO MUCH BETTERZ RAIZE DA SKILLROOF PLOX".

Instead you could mention that the meta in league is stale as fuck or that its turning a bit more unbalanced with every new champion "which both are legitimate problems". But I don't expect you to do that, because you dont know shit about a game that is obviously beneath you to even try. I don't get butthurt over criticism, I get annoyed over jackasses who can't differentiate arguments from nonsense.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By phrosnite

@TobbRobb said:

@phrosnite: Pointing out flaws in the game and mentioning things that are bad with it is not the same as going. "OMG IZ FOR KIDS, DOTA SO MUCH BETTERZ RAIZE DA SKILLROOF PLOX".

Instead you could mention that the meta in league is stale as fuck or that its turning a bit more unbalanced with every new champion "which both are legitimate problems". But I don't expect you to do that, because you dont know shit about a game that is obviously beneath you to even try. I don't get butthurt over criticism, I get annoyed over jackasses who can't differentiate arguments from nonsense.

tldr;

Just kidding. OK, fair enough... but tell me. Do you really need more bad players in LoL? Let him come to DOTA 2. We have a nice Halloween mode that is great for newcomers :)

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nadril

Haloween event should be going soon tho.

I will say for newcomers that bots are incredible in Dota 2. They actually are totally competent and will provide a challenge to players new to the genre. You can even play against bots with a group of humans (and queue up for that) to learn the game even faster.

Also I don't usually bother arguing against LoL because I'd rather just talk about how incredible and deep of a game Dota 2 is. There is no need to compare it to LoL because they aren't even in the same League (hah).

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By TobbRobb

@phrosnite: Hmm, you have a point. I need more target practice in Diretide. Sniper R on people carrying 8 candy is just too satisifying. XD

TOPIC CREATOR GUY, PLAY DOTA WITH US!

@Nadril said:

Haloween event should be going soon tho.

I will say for newcomers that bots are incredible in Dota 2. They actually are totally competent and will provide a challenge to players new to the genre. You can even play against bots with a group of humans (and queue up for that) to learn the game even faster.

Also I don't usually bother arguing against LoL because I'd rather just talk about how incredible and deep of a game Dota 2 is. There is no need to compare it to LoL because they aren't even in the same League (hah).

Yeah those Dota bots are really fucking good. Some of the most impressive AI I've seen, period. They kind of break a little on higher difficulties, but still legitimately awesome.

We don't talk about the League bots, as far as I'm concerned Riot don't have any AI coders.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By themartyr

@TobbRobb: Haha perhaps I shall. It sounds like I'll need to spend a decent amount of time learning how to play it first, though.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By TobbRobb

@themartyr: Well the silly Halloween mode take literally 0 skill to win. It's mostly just fucking around and trying stuff out. Could be a fun place to get used to the controls and animation delay of some characters without an angry mob screaming at you.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By themartyr

@TobbRobb: Cool. I'll check it out tonight, in that case!

Kaiserhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kaiserhawk

Star Trek online. Free to place, and pretty neat. At least I found it to be so.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By themartyr

@Kaiserhawk: Yes, I tried STO a while ago and was pleasantly surprised by it. I haven't found time to get back to it yet, though.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jozzy

How about Super Monday Night Combat, don't know how good it is (liked the first one) but what I understand of it is that it is FTP and is pretty much a MOBA shooter. I also really liked Awesomenauts as a MOBA newbie, made me see the appeal of these type of games.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By themartyr

@jozzy: Thanks!