• 65 results
#1 Edited by anywhereilay (147 posts) -

Thought this would be an interesting topic of discussion.

Whether it's a creative direction one of your favorite developers has decided to go in that you weren't on board with or the announcement of some hardware peripheral that made you loose faith in a company and their market direction, what decisions have caused you to 'boycott' (or something not quite as dramatic) certain products/services?

To start I've gotta say Assassin's Creed. I thought one was a bore but had potential, which was perfectly realized once two came around. Unfortunately for me, soon after this they announced they were annualizing the series. I personally don't believe a single player, narrative driven series such as AC can pull of that sort of release schedule. I stopped buying them after 2 but finally got to play AC 3 thanks to PS +, but damn if I could not get on that boat. I basically agree with the general negative internet consensus on that one so I'm not going to bother retreading those same grounds. I just can't help but wonder if they had all the development time in between to really work out meaningful ways to improve and alter a formula which I now think has been pretty much ran into the ground.

So what comes to find for you fellows?

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

You mean entire franchises? I've only had it on a game-to-game basis, and none of those were particularly malicious.

#3 Posted by anywhereilay (147 posts) -

Not specifically just franchises, can be as broad as you want it to be. Could be developers or the like. Consoles even.

#4 Posted by Random45 (1213 posts) -

A long time ago I was playing Star Ocean: Til the End of Time, and I reached about the two-thirds point I'd guess, and the game drops a HUGE bomb on you. Like, one of the most ridiculous and dumb plot twists I have ever witnessed. It was so bad that I completely lost the will to play the game, since it made me feel like EVERYTHING I was doing was completely pointless, not to mention it retroactively made everything you did in the previous games completely pointless as well. Never before has anything made me so disinterested in an entire franchise.

#5 Posted by Steadying (1274 posts) -

Tales of Xillia's epilogue ruins an otherwise beautiful and very satisfying ending.

#6 Posted by Nodima (1226 posts) -

MGS4 had me thinking I might be done with the MGS series. I haven't played Revengeance, but the itch for Ground Zeroes is still strong, so I guess I was wrong. We'll see if I actually buy it though, I want to see what the differences are between PS3 and PS4.

#7 Edited by SomberOwl (677 posts) -

When they started making dumb as fuck Pokemon and stories to accompany them. Both in the games and TV show.

#8 Edited by csl316 (8770 posts) -

I stopped playing Rockstar games after GTA IV. I got 20 hours in and had some fun. But there was a mission where you had to fight through an apartment building, and the shooting was so bad. Sooooo bad!! I was done, came back twice in the next few years to complete it, and couldn't go for more than ten minutes both times.

Then I played a couple more open-world games that were fun to control and never looked back. I bought Red Dead but just couldn't bring myself to play it. My impression is that their gameplay design is still stuck in the PS2 era (when I played the hell out of GTA).

#9 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4540 posts) -

I stopped buying Madden games after EA bought the contract and essentially put a bullet in the head of the 2K games. I would pick up a Madden game every now and then for the hell of it, but ESPN 2K5 was the first and only Football game I got really, really into. Yeah yeah yeah, I get it. Business, capitalism, blahblahblah whatever. It was and will forever be one of the biggest asshole moves in gaming history though and I can't bring myself to ever touch Madden again after that.

I don't even feel like getting into it because I feel like I'm just going end up rambling on again, but just everything about how GW2 is being run could not possibly make me any less excited than I am now for anything related to that game, ArenaNet, or NCSoft for the foreseeable future. I tried getting back into multiple times this past year, but I've finally thrown in the towel for good.

#10 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5594 posts) -

I was pretty put off by Pokemon Black and white 2. It really felt soulless and not worth my time. At that point I was questioning whether or not I cared about any new Pokemon game, but they brought me back around with X/Y. Black and White 2 will always stand as the only mainline Pokemon game I have no intention of ever playing to completion. In fact the only reason I still have it is to import my roster from past games.

#11 Posted by Humanity (9384 posts) -

Probably when Gone Home came out and people called it a video game I threw up my arms and yelled thats it I'm done!

Just kidding.

Tying it into what the thread started with, Assassins Creed's latest monetization gave me a real moment of "oh cmon cmon!"

It was a harsh winter in the land of video games. The development blizzards left us with withering crops and no new releases in sight. I recalled a better time, a brighter time of days past when I used trying to make the best of Assassin's Creed: Revelations I decided to give the multiplayer a try. Before long I was hooked. A strange game of cat and mouse, nestled with constant paranoia brought on by whispers growing ever louder everywhere you turned announcing a pursuer hot on your heels. So I decided that maybe while waiting for the game wagons to reach my humble village I'd try the multiplayer in the newest franchise offering, Black Flag. I was able to get into the game easy enough, although despite being quite adept at the unconventional deathmatch in Revelations, I found myself struggling quite a bit to place even 4th in Black Flag. Then I started to check out the customization and thats where it started. Sure enough, right next to all the cosmetic options was an ingame price and an Abstergo Credit price - the currency which you could purchase with real world money. And obviously the smallest of decorative trifles cost exuberant amounts of ingame gold. If that wasn't enough, all the abilities unlocked quite a bit later - being able to customize an ability quite literally requiring you to prestige almost twice in some circumstances. Several outfits would unlock after 5th or 6th prestige in rank and thousands of gold coins. Of course you could circumvent all this leveling and just unlock everything with Abstergo credits.

So this was pretty bad considering I had paid full price for the game and was being treated like a Free-to-Play user. I suppose I finally felt the outrage that so many experienced during Dead Space 3's monetization of crafting materials - something that I simply didn't even notice. In a moment of defiance I decided I would dig out my old Revelations disc and play that on my 360 instead, not to mention that the console was gathering an unhealthy coating of dust for the last few months. That's when it happened. When I loaded up Revelations, this old game by Black Flags standards, it too had the same Abstergo Credit nonsense. Maybe I just don't remember it, but I could swear that at time of launch the game most certainly didn't have that system built in. So if I'm correct in remembering the game only using ingame gold, then Ubisoft actually went back and retrofitted their older title with a new microtransaction system - which made me kind of want to give up on gaming right then and there.

#12 Posted by htr10 (336 posts) -

After beating Deadly Premonition for the 4th time, I was all like, what am I doing with my life? I should stop. That lasted about a day.

#14 Posted by Viking_Funeral (1801 posts) -

There's been a number of times that I'd be playing a game that I wanted to complete, only to reach a point where I ask myself, "Am I really enjoying this?"

The last time was Jeanne d'Arc. I like Level-5 games, I love Strategy RPGs, I study history for fun, and I speak French. What's not to love? I couldn't pin point it exactly, but when I started to approach the game like homework to avoid, I knew that my heart wasn't in it. Gave it to a friend.

#15 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1120 posts) -

A Persona 4 dancing game was announced.... Then I realized that I'm actually excited about it.

MGS4's ending was rough.

#16 Posted by Krullban (1039 posts) -

@csl316 said:

I stopped playing Rockstar games after GTA IV. I got 20 hours in and had some fun. But there was a mission where you had to fight through an apartment building, and the shooting was so bad. Sooooo bad!! I was done, came back twice in the next few yeare to complete it, and couldn't go for more than ten minutes both times.

Then I played a couple more open-world games that were fun to control and never looked back. I bought Red Dead but just couldn't bring myself to play it. My impression is that their gameplay design is still stuck in the PS2 era (when I played the hell out of GTA).

I don't understand this, if it was still stuck in the PS2 era, the shooting would be garbage; as GTA IV has a million times better shooting than the PS2 GTA games.

#17 Edited by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

When shooters started putting out maps for 15 bucks.

Fuck that. I can buy 3-5 MAPS for 15 dollars, or i can buy a well crafted indie game for the same price, or a well crafted story DLC for another game. Anything is better than MAPS for that god damn price. Multiplayer shooters have to do something different if they want me to buy their DLC. Maps? they should be like a buck a piece. I don't want ugly weapon skins.

#18 Posted by csl316 (8770 posts) -

@krullban: Maybe I should restate that as below average controls for the era. Combined with mission design that just isn't exciting much of the time (hell, just look at how much of the GTA V Quick Look involves just driving from point to point).

#19 Posted by phantomzxro (1578 posts) -

assassin creed 3 kind of killed my enjoyment of the lore and story of the series. Aside from that the EA wheel house of series, dragon age 2, Mass effect 3, dead space 3 have all been disappointing and have shaken my faith in the series and the companies that make them. I would also throw final fantasy in that list as well. Im not at the point of done forever, but now these games are on a wait and see list.

#20 Edited by ConfusedOwl (944 posts) -

I grew up with the Gothic franchise and 1-3 are some of my favourite games of all time. When Arcania came out it pretty much soured me on the whole thing. I still love the original games to death but that game pretty much ruined my desire to play a new one.

#21 Posted by Zeik (2493 posts) -

I can't think of much. Usually if I stop a game it's simply because I've lost interest, not because of any one particular moment.

The closest that comes to mind is Demon's Souls. The first time I played I struggled for awhile and then eventually all but threw up my hands in frustration and quit. Eventually I did come back and beat it, as well as Dark Souls, but when I quit the first time I didn't think that would happen.

#22 Posted by pyromagnestir (4324 posts) -
This was the end of what will probably be my last run in Spelunky.

At least for a good long while.

I killed Yama and then died on the way to the exit when I tried landing on Yama to recharge my jetpack, didn't realize you could only land on certain parts of him, and fell just a bit too far. I made it to Yama with only one heart, so that was that. This run was the culmination of more than half a year of playing Spelunky, not continuously, but off and on for long stretches, and only the second time I'd ever made it to hell.

Spelunkin with Scoops had reinvigorated my interest and even taught me some stuff, so I'd gotten pretty good by the end there. Probably good enough that I would've gotten to Yama again in short order had I kept going, but in that moment I lost heart. It was time to move on.

As for franchises, I find that with video games I usually only am around for 2 or 3 games in a series max before I move on to other things. There aren't usually moments that make me give up, there's just a sense that I've had my fill and now it's time to try something different. After Brotherhood, I said "I've had enough Assassin's Creed for now." After Mass Effect 3 I said "I've had enough Mass Effect for now." After Modern Warfare 3 I said "I've had enough Call of Duty for now." And so on, and so on. It's rare that I'll stick with a franchise longer than that.

#23 Posted by MaxOpower (208 posts) -

Stealth sailing in Assassins Creed IV. I really didn't like III, and never planed to play IV. But the buzz was positive, and I needed something for my new PS4. Gamestop wanted 100$ (600 dkk.), but whatever. My save got corrupted twice, which meant playing the first 6 hours three times. All that I endured, but stealth sailing was too dumb. I turned it off, and havn't played it since.I will never play an Assassins creed game again.

Fighting alongside of the Somali boy Beyond Two souls. I didn't know what to expect, and had mixed feelings playing the game. At moments it was really interesting, 99.5% of the time I was cringing. But those 2 seconds of occasional interest kept me going though. But the moment I found Jodie behind cover telepathically strangling war lords, with a AK 47 welding Somali boy by her side, I had to give up. I actually got really angry, and wanted to break the game. Angry at how bad video games are, why is this shit accepted, and even praised by some. Angry at the people, many of which I respect, who said the game was good or alright. And angry at myself for buying the game, and spending so much time at it.

#24 Posted by Random45 (1213 posts) -

@babychoochoo:

Oh, GW2 is a perfect example of this. That game has SO much potential, but it's like the developers don't even realize this, and are just satisfied with releasing very boring, and very short content updates as quickly as possible. The PvP in that game was SO good, but they do NOTHING for it, and it takes them months to release a balance patch that DOESN'T FIX THE DAMN ISSUES. Jesus Christ, it makes me angry just thinking about how poorly that game was handled.

#25 Posted by pinner458 (793 posts) -

Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

#26 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Rare fucking up banjo kazooie and as a company.

DLC, micro transactions and DRM bullshit.

And the fact that Shenmue 3 will never be released because everyone is too busy playing the yearly shitfest called Call of duty and games like that, I hope that will change soon.

#27 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5594 posts) -
#28 Posted by cloudymusic (1138 posts) -

Mass Effect 3's lottery-based real-money random loot boxes.

#29 Edited by alcor741 (82 posts) -

Homefront. That bit where you push X to hide in a mass grave. Alt + F4 + delete local content >:( .

#30 Posted by Jensonb (1750 posts) -

E3 2012 damn near soured me on the hobby altogether. So many damned grim dark games with so few themes (HEY GUYS I HEARD YOU LIKED NEAR-FUTURE MILITARY SHOOTERS HERE'S OUR ONE OF THAT). Soul crushingly boring and miserable, dripping with a gross dudebroishness that felt super exclusionary and out of pace with my tastes; the outlook for new games (with the possible exception of indie titles) at that time was so far away from the kind of games industry I actually wanted to be part of that it took till E3 2013 to completely get me back on board.

#31 Posted by FinalDasa (1792 posts) -

Blue Dragon.

I was on an RPG kick for a long while and this one was really cheap off of Amazon.

Despite being somewhat interesting with a Persona-like RPG system at some point the game ramped up in difficulty. Bosses were getting progressively harder while "in-between" enemies were still fairly easy.

Eventually this culminated in a dungeon/boss that was more stress and work than fun gameplay. The challenge was no longer appealing and just the thought of turning on my 360 to take it on all over again (this included trekking from the nearest save point) was depressing.

I haven't touched that game since.

#32 Edited by anywhereilay (147 posts) -

Might as well throw another one up, popular though it may be.

EA's general ownership and dlc policies. Sure, all the passes and dlc cost a lot, but there's also the massive hassle and inconvenience of having to enter what seems like endless codes and registries to access content that I paid premium for. Because of this, I still haven't played Mass Effect 3, the final chapter in one of my favorite franchises. I'm sure I will eventually but all the hoops they make you jump through really soured me to their business practice. That, and now the boycotting of steam.

#33 Edited by Aetheldod (3594 posts) -

Happened the same with me with Assasins Creed tho i didnt liked 2 much. Aso with the whole Mass Effect 3 ending etc. I downloaded the new endings but still wasnt enough , so I will never play the DLC , it still has the same stuff at the end :(

And in Deus Ex (the original) when YOU cant kill the dudes when they try to capture you , even if seconds before you got rid of one of the bosses , I lost all interest. I mean I could easily defeat all of them but no game has "reasons" for not allowing it. Fuck that!!!!! D:

#34 Edited by CaLe (3995 posts) -

I'm good at not caring about all the things people get worked up about. If I think a game looks good I'll play it, doesn't matter about anything else. Like this South Park censorship thing. I honestly couldn't care less if a scene is censored. Sometimes I wish I could be passionate and care about something, anything, but I got nothing. I'll play anything that takes my fancy.

I think I might have answered a question that wasn't asked. I'm tired.

#35 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11799 posts) -

A much younger me was disappointed by Sonic Heroes enough to decide to never buy a Sonic game ever again (didn't stop him from renting Shadow the Hedgehog, which he somehow completed despite it being awful). The older me forgot that vow and purchased that Bioware Sonic RPG on a bad game kick for less than $10.

#36 Posted by Kaiserreich (705 posts) -

When my second xbox 360 died for the third time. Threw it away and sold all my games.

#37 Posted by SoldierG654342 (1771 posts) -

@random45 said:

A long time ago I was playing Star Ocean: Til the End of Time, and I reached about the two-thirds point I'd guess, and the game drops a HUGE bomb on you. Like, one of the most ridiculous and dumb plot twists I have ever witnessed. It was so bad that I completely lost the will to play the game, since it made me feel like EVERYTHING I was doing was completely pointless, not to mention it retroactively made everything you did in the previous games completely pointless as well. Never before has anything made me so disinterested in an entire franchise.

Yo, that games story is pretty bad and the plot twistt makes it even worse, but goddamn if I didn't love the gameplay enough to complete it multiple times.

I straight up quit DMC3 when I got to the MC Esher Boss-Rush. Not because of the difficulty, but because that design design personally insulted me. It's like they stopped trying.

#38 Edited by Hailinel (24973 posts) -

Black & White. After about a week of trying to get any sort of enjoyment out of the game, I just had to stop. There was no amount of praising or punishing my giant bipedal tiger helper that would actually get him to what I wanted and the whole game just felt like an aimless mess. It was also the first and last Peter Molyneux game I bought. He's not fooling me again.

#39 Posted by joshwent (2218 posts) -

I thought The Swapper was brilliant. Not only were the puzzles creative and satisfying, the graphics beautiful, and the story subtle and intriguing, but most impressively... you didn't have to complete everything before you could progress! So many puzzle games suffer from forcing you to finish every little thing no matter how frustrating or unappealing a specific part might be. But in The Swapper, your progress is gated, but you only have to complete say 5 out of 8 puzzles to move on. So if one or two of them just seem like a pain or you're totally stumped, you could just say, "Fuck it." and go see what happens next.

Then I got to the end, and the last gate showed me that you have to go all the way back, navigate the needlessly complex traversal system, and do every last thing. Right before what I assume is the end of the fucking game.

Saw that on Jan 9th, and I haven't played again since. Damn shame.

#40 Edited by Christoffer (1827 posts) -

I gave up on Quantic Dream after having analyzed what I really felt of Heavy Rain. I loved Indigo Prophecy, and some of Heavy Rain. But I realized I was more in love with the idea of those games than the actual products. I would like for someone else to give that format a try. Preferably someone who can write better characters and plots.

I didn't play Beyond and I don't think I ever will.

#41 Posted by probablytuna (3684 posts) -

I too thought I was done with Assassin's Creed after ACIII but people were talking very positively about Black Flag and I got sucked right back in, though I am still not sure whether I will get the next AC after this.

#42 Posted by Wilshere (310 posts) -

When Blizzard released Diablo 3. Uninspired soundtrack, awful story, watered down art style and atmosphere, inclusion of the auction house.

#43 Posted by Cactusapple (67 posts) -

@wilshere said:

When Blizzard released Diablo 3. Uninspired soundtrack, awful story, watered down art style and atmosphere, inclusion of the auction house.

Absolutely agreed. Diablo 3 was what made me decide never to spend money on a single other Blizzard product ever again, no matter what it is, or how good it looks. I just felt so ripped off, moreso than WoW ever made me feel way back in the day.

#44 Posted by Jackentrote (43 posts) -

@alcor741 said:

Homefront. That bit where you push X to hide in a mass grave. Alt + F4 + delete local content >:( .

Lollers.

#45 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

The moment I think all this annoying crap we see these days from the so called press started with. Every time such an article comes up that reeks more like a click bait than an actual issues I remember this and think man back than everything was much better... And the worst thing is that GDC is around the corner so expect a new video shortly.. Videogames need to become Art and that very very fast..

Oh yeah and the Star Ocean 3 Ending. What a load of bullshit,,,,,

#46 Posted by TruthTellah (9153 posts) -

@darji: So you're saying if there's more discussion of gender and race in the gaming community, you might consider eventually being done with gaming?

Or just consider finding a place where you don't have to hear those topics mentioned?

#47 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@truthtellah said:

@darji: So you're saying if there's more discussion of gender and race in the gaming community, you might consider eventually being done with gaming?

Or just consider finding a place where you don't have to hear those topics mentioned?

No these topics are important and need to talk about in a well manner. Stuff like the Anita videos for example are just terrible for that. For example she often uses Characters with no personality. to make her points. She tries to find story in games that are not supposed to have ones in general. All these videos are doing is hurting the cause because people are getting annoyed about how trivial the matter with the Pacman bowtie for example is. They used it because that was the easiest way to do this back than because resources were limited and that became a trope a homage and is not a sign of how sexist this industry is.

Games need better writing and with better writing comes much better developed characters. And games with no story or just a set up should be not even talked about at all. They are some motivation tool to get the game started. No one should care about this at all and rather focus on games with an actual story and characters. And as a person who plays games for the stories this is very annoying to me.

In art basically everything is allowed. In Videogames that is sadly not the case at all, In fact the more popular gaming became the more developer have to be careful about not upsetting anyone at all. And this is making me often thinking of quitting gaming because it is really upsetting me.. Stop overanalyzing things..

Criticing is totally fine accusing and insulting however is not. And most of these articles are doing exactly that,

#48 Edited by VaddixBell (270 posts) -

I'm pretty much on a boycott of all EA games simply due to how they've handled their franchises in the last few years.

I think how Mass Effect 3 was handled was an absolute disgrace, the fact that a Protean squad-mate is day one DLC considering the importance of his species is just disgusting (I did get the special edition so I got it but I still find it terrible), how bad and nonsensical the ending was and how the entire multiplayer (which I enjoyed) was pushing you to microtransactions I found very off putting.

Then you have how DA2 was, how they're now adding microtransactions into full price games for the single player (Dead Space 3), how they forced always on DRM for Sim City and they launch games broken is enough for me to say I'm on an all out boycott of their games. The last I bought was Mass Effect 3 and I don't see that changing. I'm just voting with my wallet - I'll support devs who respect their customers.

#49 Posted by bunnymud (717 posts) -

Pretty much MMO I get I play up until the "O.K. Now grind for gear THEN you can go on raids."

#50 Edited by Glottery (1302 posts) -

@cale said:

I'm good at not caring about all the things people get worked up about. If I think a game looks good I'll play it, doesn't matter about anything else. Like this South Park censorship thing. I honestly couldn't care less if a scene is censored. Sometimes I wish I could be passionate and care about something, anything, but I got nothing. I'll play anything that takes my fancy.

I think I might have answered a question that wasn't asked. I'm tired.

Related or not, I'll agree with you on this one, at least when it comes to anything else 'cept gameplay. Unless it's something very terribly overly offensive, which I haven't come across yet, I just go meh at a terrible plot-twist or such and continue playing forth. No boycotting towards developers like EA either, at least not 'till they get caught of using childworkers or something as crazy. If the game is good, I'll gladly play it and skip all the micro-transactions/DLC, at least 'till the possible point, when those will be used to lock off significant parts of the game.

...and not that this was asked either, but I'm not one for the opposite reaction either, aka, getting into the game because of some moment or so. I'm always a bit baffled when people are ready to throw money on a game when one simple feature gets shown in a trailer. Like "Oh, that one song I like plays in this game (or at least in the trailer) for two minutes - SOLD!" or "Wacky costume to put on your playable character?! - SOLD!" and so forth. Guess I would like to be passionate about that as well. That is, if people commenting "SOLD!" are ever serious about it.

I don't know. Maybe I'm part of the problem by being your typical casual player, who's happy with almost anything? Or maybe I'm just rambling nonsense.