#1 Posted by Confirm4Crit (144 posts) -

I've been playing System Shock 2 and just saw the trailer for Routine, and I'm in the mood for some juicy sci fi games. Recommendations anyone?

PS: It can be any genre, I'm a sucker for established lore that you have to dig in a codex is you want full knowledge of it, like calling the ships in Dead Space "planetcrackers", or references to old wars in Mass Effect, things like that.

#2 Edited by believer258 (12461 posts) -

Since you specifically mentioned cyberpunk, I'm going to suggest Deus Ex Human Revolution if you haven't played it.

#3 Posted by Rorie (3090 posts) -

@confirm4crit: DX:HR is pretty great, yeah. If you haven't played the old Syndicate games, they're recommended, too (think they're both on GoG). The new Syndicate's not bad, either, if you can find it for real cheap (it's only around five hours long).

Staff
#4 Posted by MikeJFlick (445 posts) -

Gemini Rue is pretty decent, if you don't mind playing a point and click adventure game.

#5 Edited by EXTomar (5012 posts) -

Another recommendation for DX:HR. It isn't about an end of the world but you can see how they fall from there.

#6 Edited by Deathstriker (357 posts) -

Mass Effect is the top sci-fi game IMO. There really aren't any great cyberpunk games that I've played. Cyberpunk 2077 will probably be great, but Dues Ex: HR kinda sucked; bad voice acting, generic story, awkward gameplay, etc.

#7 Posted by BlackLagoon (1535 posts) -

If you can handle 90s point and click adventure games, DreamWeb has fantastic atmosphere and is available for free on the ScummVM website.

#8 Posted by Missacre (566 posts) -

In addition to the games previously mentioned, you should look out for Cyberpunk 2077. It's not gonna be out for a while, but it looks really promising.

#9 Edited by HarlechQuinn (451 posts) -
#10 Posted by Harkat (1130 posts) -

Sadly, there are very few of this type of game around that you won't have heard of.

Shock 2, Deus Ex, EYE: Divine Cybermancy (actually could be you haven't heard of that one. FPS-RPG from 2011) and a handful others.

#11 Edited by Arabes (354 posts) -

The blade runner point and click game from the mid 90's (?) was really good. It told a parallel story to the movie.

#12 Posted by stubbleman (292 posts) -

You know what was really cool? The Dystopia and NeoTokyo mods for Half-Life 2. I wonder if anyone still plays either of those.

#13 Posted by Veektarius (5109 posts) -

The new Shadowrun game is OK, if not much more than that. It only maintains the cool atmosphere to the dialogue/narration for like the first third of the story, is the biggest issue with it.

#14 Posted by fisk0 (4847 posts) -

Perihelion: The Prophecy was a really atmospheric sci-fi horror RPG for the Amiga released in 1993, and the graphics artist released it for free (in a complete package with a preconfigured version of the WinUAE emulator to play it in) a few years ago, along with a pretty interesting blog post about the inspiration behind the art direction for the game: http://edvardtoth.com/games/perihelion/

GOG also released Privateer 2 last week, the sequel to Wing Commander Privateer that really didn't have anything to do with the Wing Commander universe, or even the previous Privateer, but created it's own weird, Doctor Who-esque world, filled with FMV madness and actually surprisingly decent acting and set designs. Sadly the videos are low res and scanlined to hell, unlike Wing Commander 4 it seems like there wasn't a DVD release with higher quality cutscenes.

#15 Posted by TheHT (12101 posts) -

The first Deus Ex is probably more moody than Human Revolution, even with all the "I didn't ask for this".

EYE Divine Cybermancy is like a sci-fi dream. I don't mean it's the greatest sci-fi thing or anything, just that the world and everything in it feels like something from a weird-ass dream, it's great.

Gemini Rue is basically a sci-fi noir adventure game.

#16 Posted by Capsicum_Homie (28 posts) -

That Syndicate game from last year was fuckin' sick! All the Deus Ex games are tight too! I tried real hard to like the new Shadowrun game too but it just wasn't clicking with me.

#17 Posted by ijsstamper (1 posts) -

I've been playing System Shock 2 and just saw the trailer for Routine, and I'm in the mood for some juicy sci fi games. Recommendations anyone?

PS: It can be any genre, I'm a sucker for established lore that you have to dig in a codex is you want full knowledge of it, like calling the ships in Dead Space "planetcrackers", or references to old wars in Mass Effect, things like that.

There is currently a game on kickstarter, called Novus AEterno. They are a cool looking scifi mmo-rts, the art as well as the backgrounds for the races are really cool. They are also giving away story bibles as they call it with some of the tiers. Maybe you should check that out and back it if you like it. The devs in their last stream seemed to be willing to answer any question, so maybe you could find out how much of the story and such will be in the game, or you can get else where?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2122031929/novus-aeterno-a-true-aaa-mmorts?ref=live

#18 Posted by believer258 (12461 posts) -

Since you specifically mentioned cyberpunk, I'm going to suggest Deus Ex Human Revolution if you haven't played it.

Why didn't you mention Syndicate!? Maybe it's because this was around the time that I was playing DEHR again or right after.

Anyway, guys, play that Syndicate shooter. It's pretty good.

#19 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1075 posts) -
#20 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (4145 posts) -

Policenauts, though unless you want to go through other "means" it was never localized for the NA / Europe market.

#21 Posted by Ubersmake (754 posts) -

Sci-fi and any genre? Freespace 2. There's a codex of sorts, which recaps the events of the first game. But when the plot starts diving into the Shivans...oh man.