More Direct X 11 (and cloth physics).

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By eroticfishcake

Don't know if you guys actually care about this but here are two videos displaying Direct X 11's capabilites. Note that the following vidoes are recorded under the Unigine engine. Hard to believe we've got 11 now considering the fact most games these days don't seem to use 10 that much. Anyway, I know you guys don't like long walls of text so I'm just going to let the vidoes do the talking.

Your thoughts, ladies and gentlemen? Think we're ready for this?

On a side note, Havok (more vids here) have been working on some impressive complex cloth models as seen here;

(Sorry for the exccessive videos but there's no other way I know to showcase it. Mods can do as they please with this thread as they see fit.)

PS. Is there a way to put vidoes side-by-side? If not, can we get such a feature?
Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Absurd

I haven't even used DirectX 10 yet, although I do have a card capable of using it.

Edit: The videos look really pretty, but will games look as good as that?

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By rjayb89

Well, upskirts are gonna be harder to come by.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That was just... beautiful.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Absurd: I wouldn't be surprised if the lads over at Crytek is going to use this for the new Crysis 3 engine or a new series altogether. I'll say it'll be like D10 situatiion all over though. Most people still don't even have D10 compatiable cards, at least everyone I know doesn't seem to.

@rjayb89 said:

" Well, upskirts are gonna be harder to come by. "

But more rewarding perhaps?... I can't fathom what Rapelay 2 will be like.
Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Diamond
@Absurd said:

To answer that, here's a tech demo showcasing hair technology from 2004.

Realistically, I'd say we'll see graphics of the nature in the above DX11 demos and cloth when the next generation of consoles come out, pretty regularly.  Tech demos don't actually appear as advanced as they used to.
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By torus

Tech demos have the advantage of: 

a) being highly optimized for specific hardware 

and 

b) focusing the entirety of the gpu's compute power on a very specific thing. A game needs the gpu to render far more than a single woman in a dress.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Jeust
@eroticfishcake: some impressive mojo right there...

The skirts seem really awesome!

@Diamond:

That seems the case, possibly due to the fact that more than prettier and more realistic graphics they seem more concerned in complex calculations and algorithms, that give birth to more natural effects.

I don't want to think now about buying a dx11 card... :(
Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9  Edited By Emandudeguyperson
@rjayb89 said:
" Well, upskirts are gonna be harder to come by. "
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
@torus said:
" Tech demos have the advantage of:  a) being highly optimized for specific hardware  and  b) focusing the entirety of the gpu's compute power on a very specific thing. A game needs the gpu to render far more than a single woman in a dress. "
Both true since you need to know what you're working with to use it properly. Also tech demos tend to focus on individual things as opposed to most games which have a lot of things to render at the same time so they can't apply the same volume of detail onto everything as a tech demo does.

@Jeust: With cloth now I'm pretty excited when the industry can render water both physically and graphically. That'll be the peak of graphics and water processing. Imagine the possibilites. (Yes I know liquids are already rendered but what about on massive scale?)

I'll say you'll need a Direct X 10 card in order to ise 11. Otherwise everyone will refuse to buy a new card and stick with 10. Just like how a lot of people stuck with 9 when 10 came out. There wasn't much of an incentive to buy a new card since the differences between 9 and 10 were quite sublte to warrant a new, expensive purchase.
Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Akeldama

those were some pretty sexy skirts.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jeust
@eroticfishcake: 

yeah :)

I have one, but i'll probably upgrade it later.

It's hard to resist consumerism. :S
CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By CowMuffins

Maybe they can finally make mages cool without having their equipment clip through their mounts and such.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Jeust: You'll give in one day. It's just a matter of how long before you do. I just hope my card is still valid until then.
@CowMuffins: My thoughts exactly. I want proper, flowy, mage-like robes next time I'm playing an Elder Scrolls series.
Avatar image for joyfullofrockets
JoyfullOFrockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoyfullOFrockets

The skirts were okay, but tessellation seemed much more impressive. It's exactly  what graphics needed to become almost photorealistic. Textures used to be flat 2D images. Then came bump mapping and made them seem three dimensional. Now, they actually have a natural, more rough edged look that makes it look truly 3D.

Of course, this means every single texture will need to use resources equivalent to character models. I can't see how even the newest hardware can handle that at super high resolutions.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeust
@eroticfishcake: me too. but still i have too many games for the time i have to play them lol

so no big worries there.

i'm not all that taken by grapichs i prefer the advent of multiple, complex and diferentiated courses of action or paths.

Graphics still look great on games today. Not much to want more, even because it's hard to realy notices all those little details isn't it? 

Even if you're looking for them.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eroticfishcake
@JoyfullOFrockets: The complex cloth models are really just prototypes for the time being until games can fully implement it. Cloth models have existed for a while but they're pretty basic. Soon enough it'll common in just about every game. Tessellation shown here is extremely impressive. And here I thought the bump mapping in the Unreal 3 engine couldn't be any better we've got complex geometries being showcased through tessellation by a independent engine developer. It's intensive but by the time it becomes the default settings of most computers, the technology that exists that's cheap enough for the common man to buy, will already be there.

@Jeust: True. No matter how detailed a door looks in-game there's still no other way of opening it. In fact, games these days seem more concerned about graphics over gameplay.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeust
@eroticfishcake: yep... and as far as we go graphically the less diference we encounter in each step of the ladder.

So as long as the graphics are believable and aren't horrible i don't frisk too much.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Jeust said:
" @eroticfishcake: yep... and as far as we go graphically the less diference we encounter in each step of the ladder.  So as long as the graphics are believable and aren't horrible i don't frisk too much. "
That sounds so poetic when you phrase it that way. Heh, but yeah I do agree with you on that. Since good graphics are easy to come by nowadays, most developers focus more in the art style of a game, which is a good thing as it inspires them to take on new looks as opposed to the realistic appearance that we are oh so familiar with. Take Borderlands or Street Fighter IV for example, their praise partially comes from the art style they've adopted.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FunExplosions

All I want is a flag not to look completely fucked up.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By eroticfishcake
@FunExplosions said:
" All I want is a flag not to look completely fucked up. "
DiRT 2 already achieved that so your wish has already been answered. Just hope every game has nice flags from here on out.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Geno

It's about on par with Crysis I think. I get about the same performance and it looks the same from what I can see. Perhaps slightly better bump mapping (or occlusion is I guess what they're calling it now?).  From the first video though the tesselation effects look pretty dramatic. I might pick up a new GT 300 card when they come out. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jeust
@eroticfishcake: 

yeah... but the cell shaded graphics are a trend for a while now.

And i think i'm less into graphics now, even because i got addicted to parasite eve for the ps1. I contented just to see a jumble of polygons going from one place to another in the screen.

I think the most important thing isn't the graphics, but the capacity to make the player imagine and live the world presented to him.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Geno: I think they use "Occlusion" more often as it sounds fancier then "Bumb-Mapping", which to me, sounds very silly if you say it quickly.
@Jeust: Cel-shading is pretty common so it's not as interesting as it used to be. The thing with PS1 games is that also look at them through rose-tinted glasses. I was actually watching some Gran Turismo 1 replays on YouTube which I found more interesting then the replays on Gran Turismo for the PSP (though I admit that's a pretty smooth framerate). That reminds me, I've actually started playing Parasite Eve 1 a few weeks ago and I havn't finished it yet...

Yes, immersiveness is always the hardest aspect to employ in any game but it's also very rewarding. If it weren't for the only 4 voice actors in Oblivion I might even be led to believe I was an Argonian.
FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By FrEeZe
@eroticfishcake said:

" @Jeust said:

" @eroticfishcake: yep... and as far as we go graphically the less diference we encounter in each step of the ladder.  So as long as the graphics are believable and aren't horrible i don't frisk too much. "

That sounds so poetic when you phrase it that way. Heh, but yeah I do agree with you on that. Since good graphics are easy to come by nowadays, most developers focus more in the art style of a game, which is a good thing as it inspires them to take on new looks as opposed to the realistic appearance that we are oh so familiar with. Take Borderlands or Street Fighter IV for example, their praise partially comes from the art style they've adopted. "
Games that have a Cel-shaded look can be seen as timeless when compared to the games that try and achieve realism. Games that tried were loved for their "realistic" graphics years ago are not so enjoyable to look at as now. 
DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By DJJoeJoe
@FrEeZe said: 
Games that have a Cel-shaded look can be seen as timeless when compared to the games that try and achieve realism. Games that tried were loved for their "realistic" graphics years ago are not so enjoyable to look at as now.  "
It definitely forces more effort into design and ways to visually represent without actually just taking a picture of something and plastering it on a model etc. Good design is the middleman and just gets lost more often with games using generic 'realistic' middleware. Look at Half Life 2, while it was a great realistic looking game, going for amazing realism at the time I still think it's great looking because of it's amazing design and presentation. 

If a game is visually designed and presented well, it won't matter if it was going for abstract or real.
FrEeZe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FrEeZe
@DJJoeJoe said:
" @FrEeZe said: 
Games that have a Cel-shaded look can be seen as timeless when compared to the games that try and achieve realism. Games that tried were loved for their "realistic" graphics years ago are not so enjoyable to look at as now.  "
It definitely forces more effort into design and ways to visually represent without actually just taking a picture of something and plastering it on a model etc. Good design is the middleman and just gets lost more often with games using generic 'realistic' middleware. Look at Half Life 2, while it was a great realistic looking game, going for amazing realism at the time I still think it's great looking because of it's amazing design and presentation.  If a game is visually designed and presented well, it won't matter if it was going for abstract or real. "

Looking at my post now, I can see that writing posts at 3 in the morning does not help me articulate my words. What I was merely trying to add was that a abstract look is less effected by improvements in technology when compared to "real" games. This is purely form a visual perspective. Although you do bring up a interesting point with Half-Life 2, a game that came out half a decade ago but still manages to entertain. I guess this shows the source engine's success; Valve set out to make a engine that could support their game for years to come and it has done just that. 
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eroticfishcake
@FrEeZe: Source's physics engine was another peripheral of Valve's success. Although physics already existed at the time of development, it was pretty complex for what it was at the time. Not the mention the facial animation that actually allowed moving mouths and eyes. It's funny how it was only 5 years ago and now it's the staple for games these days.
 Remember this?;

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By natetodamax

It's amazing how far we've come.

Kblt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kblt
@Diamond said:

" @Absurd said:

To answer that, here's a tech demo showcasing hair technology from 2004.

Realistically, I'd say we'll see graphics of the nature in the above DX11 demos and cloth when the next generation of consoles come out, pretty regularly.  Tech demos don't actually appear as advanced as they used to. "
CryEngine 3 on PC (consoles don't have dx11 cards yet) will probably have the tesselation similar to this Heaven benchmark test. This level of graphics won't be seen on consoles in next few years.
Babble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Babble

As long as Windows 7 receives a good reception and is successful I think we'll see a much wider use of DX 11 then 10. Vista just wasn't around long enough and wasn't popular enough for DX 10 to take hold.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ghostiet

Fuck that.

Show me boob physics - plastics and reals.

GunnBjorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GunnBjorn

The Medusa Demo is a little more spectacular. 

What is ATI's current top demo to compete with this?
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By mikemcn
@Absurd said:
"I haven't even used DirectX 10 yet, although I do have a card capable of using it.  Edit: The videos look really pretty, but will games look as good as that? "

Same here, its going to be awhile before games actually start to really implement this. DX 9 was the last set of drivers anyone actually used.
Darniaq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Darniaq
@Babble said:
" As long as Windows 7 receives a good reception and is successful I think we'll see a much wider use of DX 11 then 10. Vista just wasn't around long enough and wasn't popular enough for DX 10 to take hold. "
I'd like to believe that, but you need developers to care. We're more likely to see this stuff get baked into the next Xbox than we are going to need a million PC gamers to go out and buy quad-core videocards to support it :)
Aeterna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aeterna
@Darniaq said:
" @Babble said:
" As long as Windows 7 receives a good reception and is successful I think we'll see a much wider use of DX 11 then 10. Vista just wasn't around long enough and wasn't popular enough for DX 10 to take hold. "
I'd like to believe that, but you need developers to care. We're more likely to see this stuff get baked into the next Xbox than we are going to need a million PC gamers to go out and buy quad-core videocards to support it :) "
It's also due to the fact that DX10 wasn't nearly as optimized as 9 or 11. It was like vista; a big resource hog. DX11 compared to that is light and optimized and is thus much more attractive to work with. 

And implementation? Dirt2+ Lord of the Rings Online will do for me for now. ;)
Darniaq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Darniaq

LoTRO does look awesome(er) now, though I think they did a fantastic job of scaling the other way too. Just about the time I was ready to re-up AoC for the sun-beams you see in DX10, Vista Ultimate gave up the ghost and I wimped back to XP :) I've got W7 coming though, and  think a rig good enough to push some graphics to the limit. We'll see.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By Scooper

I have always had an 'on the wall' but very enthusiastic interest in cutting edge graphics even if I could never afford the rig to play them. This sort of stuff is fantastic to me. Can't get enough of it.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By iam3green

those look really great. i want to see the graphics in some games once they come out.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Diamond
@Kblt said:

CryEngine 3 on PC (consoles don't have dx11 cards yet) will probably have the tesselation similar to this Heaven benchmark test. This level of graphics won't be seen on consoles in next few years. "

#1. I doubt CryEngine 3 will have tessellation support.
#2. Xbox 360 has tessellation support.
#3. I said the next generation of consoles 

@GunnBjorn

said:

The Medusa Demo is a little more spectacular.  What is ATI's current top demo to compete with this?

I wasn't real impressed with the Medusa demo personally.  The artwork is pretty bad, there's quite a few games with better facial graphics.

This is ATI's last released Ruby demo, it has tessellation, and will run on the GTX2x0 series Nvidia cards (runs great on my GTX260 core 216) :

They didn't ever release the 4800 series Ruby demo, I'm inclined to think it was CG bullshit now.  They've shown video of the 5x00 series Ruby demo as well, but the guys at Beyond3D suspect it's not real time 3d graphics either.  So basically what you see above is the cream of the crop.
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By TwoOneFive

whatsup with those bumpy as roads in the second video, goddamn they must be so annoying lol

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nick

That second video reminded me of Oblivion.