Posted by FLStyle (4581 posts) 9 months, 29 days ago

Poll: Mortal Kombat Legacy Season 2 is online - What do you think? (30 votes)

5/5 10%
4/5 23%
3/5 33%
2/5 23%
1/5 7%

Following 2011's Mortal Kombat Legacy, which itself was born after the success of Mortal Kombat Rebirth, the entire Season 2 (11 episodes) is now online. Episodes 3 through to 11 are unlisted, the links to the next episode are provided, unless you skip episodes in which case, shame on you.

I thought it was a great success, and builds on everything (except Season 1 episode 9) in meaningful and much improved ways. I can safely say that, the bad guy from The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift of all people, is the best Liu Kang I have seen in any form of MK. The fights in most cases make up for the lack of character build and the nods and winks to the games/films, with the exception of Johnny Cage, were not OTT. Also, Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa! Even better than his previous version of Shang Tsung!

#1 Posted by Sackmanjones (4652 posts) -

They aren't Rollin em out like before? Man I know what I'm doin after work. First season was pretty great I thought.

#2 Posted by FLStyle (4581 posts) -

They aren't Rollin em out like before? Man I know what I'm doin after work. First season was pretty great I thought.

Nope, it's all online as of today.

#3 Posted by Rafaelfc (1314 posts) -

Cool. I'll watch it when I get home.

#4 Posted by csl316 (8120 posts) -

Cool, first season was a fun watch (though I think that early short set the bar too high).

#5 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1173 posts) -

I always though Sub Zero was Chinese, says so right in the song.

#6 Edited by CoinMatze (470 posts) -

I'm on episode 3 and my biggest complaint so far is that every character speaks English. They were so good in the first season about having the scenes in Japan be in Japanese. Did people complain about having to read subtitles or something?

I'm not sure yet what I think about the actor changes. Casting Casper van Dien as Johnny Cage is funny, though.

#7 Posted by FLStyle (4581 posts) -

In the games, the Lin Kuei is a Chinese clan of assassins, but they are not ninjas and the Sub-Zero brothers are not Asian.

I'm on episode 3 and my biggest complain so far is that every character speaks English. They were so good in the first season about having the scenes in Japan be in Japanese. Did people complain about having to read subtitles or something?

I'm not sure yet what I think about the actor changes. Casting Casper van Dien as Johnny Cage is funny, though.

I completely forgot about the good job they did with the foreign languages, that's a shame that it's all English in Season 2.

#8 Posted by falserelic (5332 posts) -

Just got done watching the first episode, so far seems interesting. I'll be back on this thread after I watch the rest.

#9 Edited by FunkasaurasRex (847 posts) -

I never watched much of this; is Michael Jai White still in it?

#11 Posted by Nubikal (101 posts) -

Annoying that they still feel the need to bookend 5-6 minute episodes with a minute or two of recaps and previews. Only a couple of episodes in so can't really speak to the quality, but the first season was kind of disappointing for me. Not so much due to it being poor itself, just that Rebirth looked so good and deserved a full length film in that tone/world.

#12 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

@funkasaurasrex: Neither he nor Sonya are anywhere to be found.

Really disliked it.

#13 Posted by mrfluke (5093 posts) -

hated how this season ended. but i guess that shows that i really enjoyed it, which i did :P

caper van dien is the perfect johnny cage, kinda wished they got back the raiden from season 1 though. and the subzero while he acted well, was a bit too skinny. Kenshi was badass though, they nailed that character.

also SUPER happy that they released all the episodes at once, cause damm, those episodes go by fast,

biggest knock i have on that show is i think they need more running time per episode , maybe not too much more time cause they do get a lot of mileage out of the short running time, but a bit more would be good like 15mins per episode..

#14 Edited by Taku128 (793 posts) -

I don't know how they managed to make the Mortal Kombat tournament so boring but they did. I thought season one was flawed but enjoyable, the main problem being that nothing really happens since it was an entire season of origin stories. This season was basically the same thing but even less enjoyable. I also really hated the way they adapted things because a lot of it made absolutely no sense both from an in-universe and source material standpoint, and a lot of it was just dumb.

Why/how are Kenshi and Sub-Zero almost 1000 years old? If Sub-Zero is the leader of the Lin Quei who the hell made Cyrax and Sektor in season one? Why would you make Bi-Han a completely heroic character, have him find out about how Scorpion was tricked, and then kill off BOTH Sub-Zeros? Why is Liu Kang the angsty guy who turns to the bad side and Kung Lao the blind follower of the shaolin order when flipping those two roles would make way more sense for the characters? Why would you give Liu Kang the most cliched backstory ever? How the hell is this a tournament if everyone just runs around and fights whoever they bump into? And ending the season on such a weak cliffhanger made me feel like I just wasted my time.

The only thing I really enjoyed about this season was Daniel Southworth as Kenshi, especially when he was a smug asshole pre-blindness. I didn't even really care when Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa showed up as Shang Tsung because his character was barely utilized. I was bummed about Johnny Cage being recast because I thought the actor from the first season was really good, and didn't think the new guy did a great job. I was especially upset about the way they handled Scorpion and Sub-Zero though, because I actually thought the episode from the first season about them was really well done, but they threw away everything it set up.

#15 Edited by Damodar (1302 posts) -

@flstyle said:

@icicle7x3 said:

In the games, the Lin Kuei is a Chinese clan of assassins, but they are not ninjas and the Sub-Zero brothers are not Asian.

I thought they were. Maybe they weren't originally, but in the MK9 story, they refer to the elder brother as 'Bi Han' I think. But they refer to the younger one as 'Tundra', so I dunno :P

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the season, I enjoyed the first. I'll get right on to watching!

#16 Posted by HistoryInRust (6274 posts) -

@taku128: I had the same thoughts you did.

I'm assuming they're going to get cute and use that manipulative cut to black in the Scorpion episode--the one that implies he murders the younger Sub-Zero brother--to bring the younger brother back. In typical canon, Scorpion eliminates the elder Sub-Zero, who Quan Chi subsequently revives as Noob Siabot, and the younger Sub-Zero takes the mantle.

But, still. The execution of that arc, particularly, left a lot to be desired.

#17 Posted by Freezer_Burn (207 posts) -

It was alright. The only part that really bugged me was Sub-Zero looking like a guy in Motocross gear, while Scorpion got a much better looking costume.

#18 Edited by mrfluke (5093 posts) -

@freezer_burn said:

It was alright. The only part that really bugged me was Sub-Zero looking like a guy in Motocross gear, while Scorpion got a much better looking costume.

scorpions is same costume as last season, the literal difference is that they spray painted the face mask in yellow-gold :p. should have just did that last season.

but yea, they should have just used subzero's outfit from last season instead of that stupid thing they had him wear.

#19 Posted by Elyhaym (192 posts) -

Overall impression was alright.

It was more cohesive than Season 1, albeit still as vague. Like others have pointed out, the tournament is presented rather poorly and you spend at least half the time watching origin stories, which gets old rather quick. I'm confused as to why they call this Season 2 though, sure they make a few callbacks to Season 1 in the Scorpion/Sub-Zero and Kitana/Mileena episodes, but other than that the first season might as well not have happened.

The focus of this MK project seems a bit scattered to be honest. I wish they would sit down and figure out what they want to accomplish with this and then execute on it. Hopefully Season 3, if it happens, will build on Season 2 and not be it's own thing like Season 1 and 2.

#20 Posted by FLStyle (4581 posts) -

@damodar said:

@flstyle said:

@icicle7x3 said:

I thought they were. Maybe they weren't originally, but in the MK9 story, they refer to the elder brother as 'Bi Han' I think. But they refer to the younger one as 'Tundra', so I dunno :P

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on the season, I enjoyed the first. I'll get right on to watching!

Ahhh yes, I can explain this.

In the original story, the two Sub Zero brothers were kidnapped from their home in the USA by their father who took them to the Lin Kuei to become assassins. In MK9 they were given a full Asian origin.

• The older brother, codename Sub Zero, his real name was Bi Han
  • The younger brother, codename Tundra, his real name was Kuai Liang

When Kuai Liang and Smoke left the Lin Kuei to find Scorpion and avenge Bi Han (as well as disobey becoming soulless cyborgs) Kuai Liang abandoned the codename Tundra and adopted the codename Sub Zero.

#21 Edited by falserelic (5332 posts) -

2/5 it was boring for most part.

I know the studio was on a tight budget, but overall Season 2 was ok. Here's some quick things I'll point out from watching it.

- The fight scenes ranged from decent to meh, their weren't nothing really special.

- I thought some of the acting was kinda cheesy, and I noticed they replaced some actors that was from last Season.

- The origin stories was brief and at the sametime felt unnecessary. Since some of the characters died pretty fast, its hard to care about them. On top of that it was the tournament I just wanted to see aswome fights, and didn't really get much of that.

- Story doesn't really seem like it flows with Season 1 well, and some of the episodes of Season 2 felt disjointed.

- I liked the idea of Liu Kang becoming an Anti-Hero, but his reasoning was very cliche.

-Even though they released all episodes it still felt short, and left off at a annoying cliff hanger.

To be honest I remember enjoying Season 1 more then Season 2.

#22 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

A version of Mortal Kombat that takes itself seriously is the most friggin boring thing ever. I mean, nobody has ever thought Mortal Kombat is a legitimately good fighting game. It was just that funny campy game you messed around with between sessions of Marvel and KOF.

I still stand that the original Mortal Kombat movie is the only video game movie that has been successful in capturing the tone of the source material and provided great entertainment. This, like season 1, is just dull.

#23 Edited by JZ (2125 posts) -
#24 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

Iron Chef is Kung Lao...WTF

#25 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3027 posts) -

Just caught the first episode and wow really liking what they're doing. There is real emotional wait to the decisions made. Seriously how can Raiden answer Liu Kang after he says, "After all I did you're the one who chose to abandon me" or something like that. This is pretty good and hopefully the director / writer gets a shot at making a fully featured film.

#26 Posted by OurSin_360 (834 posts) -

i stopped the first season after like 3 episodes when they started with the outerworld bullshit. I wanted an entire reboot like the OG trailer with realistic origins for baraka and shit.

pissed me off tbh

#27 Edited by Glottery (1109 posts) -

@oursin_360 said:

i stopped the first season after like 3 episodes when they started with the outerworld bullshit. I wanted an entire reboot like the OG trailer with realistic origins for baraka and shit.

pissed me off tbh

I always thought fans would prefer MK to stay as 'outland-ish' as it is, which is why this whole "realistic" reboot (the series is supposed to be like that, I assume...?) seemed really odd to me, the first time I heard about it. But I'm far from being a HC fan of MK in general, so what do I know of their...wants and wantsnots(?).

#28 Posted by jakob187 (21642 posts) -

It was mediocre. They just went back into origins of characters...after they already went into origins of characters in the first season. The fatalities were nice, though.