Most Courageous Video Game Protagonists?

vault13dweller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By vault13dweller

We discuss who we think the most couragous protagonists or characters in video games are.

• cour·age Noun /ˈkərij/ /ˈkə-rij/
  • noun: bravery, valour, valor, pluck, gallantry, nerve, heart, daring, boldness, mettle, spirit, hardihood, prowess, audacity, guts
  • The ability to do something that frightens one
  • she called on all her courage to face the ordeal
  • Strength in the face of pain or grief
  • he fought his illness with great courage

I nominate The Vault Dweller from Fallout 1.

Why: The Vault Dweller lived a sheltered life inside a Vault, surrounded by amenities and all his needs being taken care of. But then out of the blue, he is required to go out into a hellish wasteland which he knows nothing about without training or a large amount of supplies (yes he gets supplies, but it's not much.)

Other notable mentions are Isaac Clark from the Dead Space games, Link from the Legend of Zelda games, and the protagonists of the Silent Hill games (I haven't played them)

Please provide reasoning and evidence to support your nominations.

One example of a not-so-good nomination would be Master Chief from the Halo games. He's a biologically and technologically engineered super soldier with a lifetime of training and a huge arsenal, he can walk up to any challenge and know to himself that he very well might succeed. I'm not calling him a coward, or saying he doesn't have gall, I'm just saying he didn't have to sum up as much courage as the aforementioned characters.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By impartialgecko

I nominate Meat Boy. The number times that little dude threw himself into spikes/buzzsaws/generally deadly objects to save his girl. What a trooper.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By FourWude

Dude it's totally Soap, Captain Price and the Master Chefs! Only Master Chef and Jesus died so YOU could survive or something.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Kind of all of them or what's the point.

Master Chief is extremely trained, but he still goes against seemingly insurmountable odds. Unless you're playing on easy.

Look at what Jaffe says about the Superman Fallacy. The idea that Superman is too powerful to get any drama out of him, Jaffe categorically disagrees and says that you just aren't challenging him. This comes from the guy who made God of War, a game that makes you feel like a living god and yet still pushes you to the degree that your victory feels impressive.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Link. He has the Triforce with Courage.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Klei

The nameless hero from Shadow of the Colossus. What he does is outstanding.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong
@MooseyMcMan said:

Link. He has the Triforce with Courage.

Yep, this.
Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Sackmanjones

Issac. Specifically dead space 1 issac. They did a good job of making him sound scared shitless and yet he pushed forward. Strong man....

tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By tallTuck94

Nathan Drake

That guy takes down whole armies of bad guys and then ends up fighting supernatural beasts.

Though he does have the extreme superpower of luck.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@Sackmanjones said:

Issac. Specifically dead space 1 issac. They did a good job of making him sound scared shitless and yet he pushed forward. Strong man....

Yep, that guy has Balls of Steel.

schman42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By schman42

I gotta go with Luigi's Mansion Luigi. That guy was clearly scared of everything but kept on going.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AngelN7

@Brodehouse said:

Kind of all of them or what's the point. Master Chief is extremely trained, but he still goes against seemingly insurmountable odds. Unless you're playing on easy. Look at what Jaffe says about the Superman Fallacy. The idea that Superman is too powerful to get any drama out of him, Jaffe categorically disagrees and says that you just aren't challenging him. This comes from the guy who made God of War, a game that makes you feel like a living god and yet still pushes you to the degree that your victory feels impressive.

This pretty much, I'm wating for a game where you play as a guy/girl who doesn't want to save the world because he/she knows it's too hard and s/he'll probably die (without turning him into a whining anime cliche) so throughout his/her journey he/she attributes his/her achivements to luck so constants Phew's and all.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@schman42 said:

I gotta go with Luigi's Mansion Luigi. That guy was clearly scared of everything but kept on going.

This is clearly the right answer, he was scared but he kept going anyway. Sure Master Chief, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Shepard, Captain Price and Isaac all went through worse shit than Luigi, but they never seemed really scared.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HH

Me

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By JasonR86

Jade from Beyond Good and Evil. She is the primary force behind a somewhat weak rebel force that plans to take out a huge, powerful tyranny and does so mostly by herself. Her primary weapon is her camera, intelligence, and a staff against people who have heavy weapons. She is one of the primary caretakers for an orphanage and continues to fight despite feeling responsible for their kidnapping and soon to be transformation into the enemies she's fighting. She's so influential that she gets the majority of the citizens of her world to fight with her.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FourWude

@JasonR86:

Jade Raymond. She made Assassins Creed and then got pregnant. A true real world hero.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Johnny Sasaki from the Metal Gear Solid series. He was always known as a joke character, diarrhea man, the man who always got his butt kicked by Solid Snake. After years of enduring these stigmas he showed everyone what he's made of in Metal Gear Solid 4 and he also got the girl at the end.

Zaied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zaied

The Arisen. There's not much depth to the character, but to go charging 80ft tall dragons with nothing but a steel sword and no armor takes balls. Not to mention, the psychological threshold of withstanding the Everfall, fighting the dragon, fighting mythological creatures, and the tough choices that needed to be made along the journey.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By fattony12000
Ellen
Ellen
Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honorable mention to Nier from well, Nier. Dude sacrifices absolutely EVERYTHING for his daughter over the course of that game. Even when faced with everything from the utmost betrayals to Armageddon itself.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vault13dweller: He's a selfless character willing to take on any challenge regardless of the danger, I would say he's as courageous as any other protagonist.

Avatar image for living4theday258
living4theday258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By living4theday258

the courier from Fallout NV this dude gets shot in the head and goes after the people who shot him/her with no equipment.(to start off with anyway.)

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zombie2011

It's got to be Commander Shepard and everyone on the Normandy in Mass Effect 2.

They literally went on a suicide mission, knowing they would probably die and still no-one backed out.

morkaithewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By morkaithewolf

I'd nominate Ethan Mars. While all of his decisions are guided by what you choose, this is still a father who would go through hell and back for his child.

He not only blames himself for letting his first son die, but when all signs point to the eventual death of his second son the man can go as far as cutting off his own finger, killing a drug dealer and escaping the police at every turn to ensure that his second son would live.

I wouldn't call him purely courageous but a shining example of what a father can do when he loves his child so much.

tutuboy95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By tutuboy95

@Village_Guy said:

@schman42 said:

This is clearly the right answer, he was scared but he kept going anyway. Sure Master Chief, Kratos, Nathan Drake, Shepard, Captain Price and Isaac all went through worse shit than Luigi, but they never seemed really scared.

Luigi all the way. Plus, don't forget his role in the Mario and Luigi series. He was a pretty big crybaby there too. But he kept going to save the Mushroom Kingdom. That's courage.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Ravenlight

The Prince from Katamari Damacy (the PersianPrince is a tool). Despite the whole universe being wrecked my his drunkard father and the abuse heaped upon Prince by said father, he nevertheless perseveres and returns the universe to its proper order.

Saving the universe from a threat is one thing. Completely rebuilding it from scratch is something else.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By csl316
@zombie2011

It's got to be Commander Shepard and everyone on the Normandy in Mass Effect 2.

They literally went on a suicide mission, knowing they would probably die and still no-one backed out.

Ok, I change my answer to this. Though I'd add in ME3 stuff, too.
Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#28  Edited By Slag

Isaac from the Binding of Issac

that game's premise is just terrifying, not to mention the psychological horror that little kid goes through.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I nominate the Persona 3 protagonist, or Minato if you want to be that way.

Dude has to shoot himself in the head every time he wants to cast a spell.

He also sacrifices himself so that the world doesn't end, so theirs that.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By Dagbiker

Vivi from Final Fantasy 9 not really a protaginast. But whatever.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Marz

most courageous?

probably this dude.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By redcream

Gordon Freeman

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SexyToad

I'm going with link as well.

Tolshakk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tolshakk

Blasto

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By BBAlpert
mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By mosespippy

@Klei said:

The nameless hero from Shadow of the Colossus. What he does is outstanding.

Dude has a name.