• 178 results
#51 Posted by big_jon (5709 posts) -

Call of Duty

#52 Posted by h0lgr (908 posts) -
@Kyreo said:

GTA IV. I sat there and wallowed in sadness for a few days after beating this game.

Damn right. I was fucking crushed.
#53 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Fallen189 said:

Mother 2

mother 2 is depressing? Mother 3 definitely is but I never found Earthbound all that depressing.

#54 Posted by Quarters (1630 posts) -

The Walking Dead. Every time you boot it up, you know you're about to be slapped with sadness.

#55 Posted by brassmarsh (49 posts) -

The correct answer is Heavy Rain

#56 Posted by beeftothetaco (420 posts) -

Dark Souls or Heavy Rain.

#57 Posted by Pepsiman (2459 posts) -

Nier is what came to mind for me first. I have a lot of problems with its narrative structure and gameplay mechanics, but damn if its plot doesn't get under your skin and take your mind to some pretty messed up places. Some alternatives I haven't seen in this thread so far, though.

• Defcon. There's no underlying plot, but like the subtitle "Everybody Dies" implies, it's something that's less about winning and more about just trying to be dealt the least worst hand in a zero-sum game. Once one player launches nukes, there's only one way a match is inevitably going to end.
  • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. This is more specifically with regards to its ending, since the way it puts all of your efforts up until that point into perspective is pretty heart-wrenching. Obviously the rest of that game up until that point isn't exactly sunshine and flowers, though.
  • Majora's Mask. The underlying premise is very fatalistic, given how most of your actions are erased every time you go back in time. It might have a relatively happy ending, but if you read between enough of the lines, there's a good amount of dark stuff driving that plotline.
  • Analogue: A Hate Story. The name says it all. Nobody in the game has a clean slate and the imbalanced nature of gender dynamics in that game's world leads that cast to go through a lot of things and deal with them in some pretty morally gray ways.
#58 Posted by audioBusting (1477 posts) -

Mother 3 for sure

#59 Posted by Animasta (14648 posts) -

@Pepsiman: I totally forgot about shatmemz and analogue for this, but you are quite right.

#60 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

Heavy Rain, depending on which ending you get.

#61 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I haven't played a lot of these games and now I feel like I'm missing out on all the fun sadness.

#62 Posted by Onkel_Apan (56 posts) -

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

every end in Heavy Rain is the happy ending, cause you don´t have to play any more Heavy Rain.

#63 Edited by pyromagnestir (4246 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Nier deffo.

@Jeust said:

To The Moon

@AjayRaz said:

The Walking Dead

@Video_Game_King said:

Katawa Shoujo and Fragile Dreams.

@thedj93 said:

spec ops the line

So basically you guys are saying that the next year or so is going to be really depressing for me.

The Mass Effect games can be quite depressing and haven't been mentioned yet, I think, so I'll throw them into the fray. And Skyrim and the Fallouts. Oh, Enslaved as well. And maybe Journey? That game triggers quite a few emotions. Huh... Come to think of it, this past year was quite depressing as well. Seems I'm just continuing the trend.

#64 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (750 posts) -

The ones that got canceled.

#65 Posted by ZeeL (34 posts) -

To the Moon.

It was pretty much my favorite movie, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, made into a really awesome game. It was extremely sentimental, or maybe that's just because I'm married now. I don't care if it's ideas were borrowed, it was fantastic.

#66 Edited by PandaBear (1303 posts) -

Assassin's Creed. Man that was a let down, I was so sad. The sequel was awesome though.

On a serious note ... Fallout 3. The loneliness of the wasteland was pretty imposing. I had Fawkes with me for company... but that game could really make you feel isolated.

#67 Edited by Zaccheus (1788 posts) -

Spec Ops for sure. I love To the Moon, but I refuse to call it depressing. It's beautiful and bittersweet.

#68 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

JRPGs generally, but that's because terrible, melodramatic, and incredibly cliched storylines and characters make the writer in me sad.

#69 Posted by Jeust (10477 posts) -

Silent Hill 2 and 4.

#70 Edited by smcn (878 posts) -

@PSNgamesun said:

Mass Effect 3 and not because the ending was bad(not to me tho) but because it was the end of one of my favorite series.

Totes, I have the soundtrack but can't even listen to I'm Proud of You or An End Once and For All without getting a sinking feeling in my chest.

Besides that, I'll echo P3. I also remember crying at the end of Lufia II but I was an emo teenager at that time (as opposed to now being an emo adult)

EDIT: Wow, I just noticed a theme in my entries. I guess it's not sad unless

#71 Posted by patrickcangame (19 posts) -

Original Metroid. The somber music, the lack of humanity, the sense of being trapped. I wouldn't play it unless a family member was in the next room because it made me feel so dead inside.

#72 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

Braid.

#73 Posted by ShaolinSpade (158 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption was pretty darn depressing.

#74 Posted by SaturdayNightSpecials (2312 posts) -

Garry's Mod can get pretty dark by yourself.

#75 Posted by tkalsey (152 posts) -

The Game of Life

#76 Posted by Lokno (385 posts) -

Dear Esther.

#77 Posted by Perspicacity1 (61 posts) -
#78 Posted by Psykhophear (939 posts) -
#79 Posted by C0V3RT (1351 posts) -

The first thing that popped to mind was Heavy Rain. It's not necessarily depressing in a bad way, but there's for sure some dark tones that weighed pretty heavily on me when I played it.

I'm seeing To The Moon listed a lot. I can see where people are coming from, but the emotional payoff at the end is redeeming and bittersweet.

#80 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11477 posts) -

Persona 3 has a really depressing ending.

#81 Posted by JJOR64 (18909 posts) -

School Days?

#82 Posted by iceman228433 (583 posts) -

Syphon Filter the Omega Strain broke my heart that game.

#83 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Xenoblade had it's sad bits.

#84 Edited by Bocam (3671 posts) -
#85 Posted by awesomeusername (4154 posts) -

The Walking Dead Episode 3 made me want to cry.

Heavy Rain is just filled with sadness and rain. Rain makes everything sadder.

inFAMOUS 2, Mass Effect 3, & Red Dead Redemption's endings made me sad.

#86 Posted by themangalist (1717 posts) -

@Zaccheus said:

I love To the Moon, but I refuse to call it depressing. It's beautiful and bittersweet.

My exact feelings too. Strange to see it appeared so many times.

I can usually see through the story telling techniques so much that nothing really depresses me... (haven't played the Walking Dead yet)

For the games I have played, Half-Life 2 and Mirror's Edge's dystopian worlds definitely got me. Especially Mirror's Edge. Aesthetic was amazing, the city feels so very hollow. I think the recent Dishonored had one level where you have to trek through the worst parts of town drowned me with its desperation very well.

I am surprised no one mentioned I have no mouth and I must scream. Haven't played the game, never will, but man, reading about it makes me depressed already.

#87 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6386 posts) -

@Onkel_Apan said:

@Godlyawesomeguy said:

every end in Heavy Rain is the happy ending, cause you don´t have to play any more Heavy Rain.

hurrrrr hurrrrrr

#88 Edited by Fattony12000 (7052 posts) -

It's been so funny to see and hear people talk about the Walking Dead series (which are awesome games) as hard hitting and freaky as fuck. Pretty much nothing compares to...

He is a little thing I wrote about it years and years ago...

If you like rape, murder, psychological and physiological torture, sadism, insanity, horrific Nazi experiments on living people whilst their eyeballs are placed in jars so they can watch, cannibalism, pain, suffering, infanticide, the Holocaust, morally challenging issues, terror, child abuse, ethical and social catharsis, Nazi death camps, paranoia, immortality as a means of punishment, anger, gross demonstrations of pure hatred, a crazy Earth-sized computer, and all that good wholesome fun stuff...Then I would, er, 'recommend' checking this out.

All the above stuff is merely the paint upon the canvas of the PC game, it is essentially a 'be good' or 'be evil' point and click puzzle game, fully voice acted, with some real...odd...situations.

Pretty interesting guy that Harlan, got an interview with him and Robin Williams (the actor/comic) talking about that bat-shit insane sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard. He's the only person I've heard who can out talk Mr Williams.

#89 Posted by TeflonBilly (4713 posts) -

Dark Souls and Majora's Mask has a sense of despair that just permeates almost everything about those games. Things just feel hopeless a lot of the times.

Nier is simply harrowing and it just gets worse for each ending you get. I wish Cavia was still around to tell me how much they hate me with their games.

#90 Posted by YOU_DIED (702 posts) -

Halo 2

#91 Posted by egg (1450 posts) -

The games themselves depress me more than the stories ever could.

#92 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1173 posts) -

Metroid: Other M

#93 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@Fattony12000 said:

It's been so funny to see and hear people talk about the Walking Dead series (which are awesome games) as hard hitting and freaky as fuck. Pretty much nothing compares to...

He is a little thing I wrote about it years and years ago...

If you like rape, murder, psychological and physiological torture, sadism, insanity, horrific Nazi experiments on living people whilst their eyeballs are placed in jars so they can watch, cannibalism, pain, suffering, infanticide, the Holocaust, morally challenging issues, terror, child abuse, ethical and social catharsis, Nazi death camps, paranoia, immortality as a means of punishment, anger, gross demonstrations of pure hatred, a crazy Earth-sized computer, and all that good wholesome fun stuff...Then I would, er, 'recommend' checking this out.

All the above stuff is merely the paint upon the canvas of the PC game, it is essentially a 'be good' or 'be evil' point and click puzzle game, fully voice acted, with some real...odd...situations.

Pretty interesting guy that Harlan, got an interview with him and Robin Williams (the actor/comic) talking about that bat-shit insane sci-fi writer L. Ron Hubbard. He's the only person I've heard who can out talk Mr Williams.

I never played the game (in fact my only experience with it is an LP), but the short story was soul-crushing.

And I don't mean that in the "oh gee something sad happened". I mean that in the "AM will literally find you, determine what constitutes a soul, and destroy it" way.

#94 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

The soul games, dead space 1, majoras mask and nier.

#95 Posted by Fallen189 (4941 posts) -
@Animasta said:

@Fallen189 said:

Mother 2

mother 2 is depressing? Mother 3 definitely is but I never found Earthbound all that depressing.

I always found some weird fundamentally depressing aspect to all the mother games. I can't explain why. But yeah the end of M3 was...wow
#96 Posted by Fattony12000 (7052 posts) -

@Terramagi: Oh shit yeah, it's super soul and hope crushing at nearly every level. A bad situation turns into a worse one, and then into an even worse one, and then into AN EVEN WORSE ONE.

AND THEN IT GETS EVEN WORSE!

On my second playthrough I got it hooked up and into my Nintendo Wii, so I could play it with a Nintendo Wii remote on a Nintendo Wii home video game console via ScumVM. I could taste Miyamoto's sweet sweet tears of anguish all the way through. That was pretty cool.

#97 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@pyromagnestir said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Katawa Shoujo and Fragile Dreams.

Fixed it back for you.

#98 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

Recently it would have to be episode 3 of The Walking Dead.

#99 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

Dark Souls
Persona 3
Currently playing The Walking Dead and I can see that thing going to some real terrible places.

#100 Posted by Kteven (52 posts) -

The Walking Dead, episode 3. After finishing that I had to call my mom. She called me a fucking idiot, but it still made me feel a bit better.

Other then that, Xcom. I know it sounds daft but last night I lost 5 of my best guys on one mission, stared at the screen for a minute and had to open the whisky.