Most disappointing game dragon age 2? WTF?

• 155 results
tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By tahnit

How the hell is dragon age 2 considered most disappointing game? Did the bombsquad guys forget a game called BRINK?! Seriously that game was completely broken from day 1. Dragonage 2 had its issues but on the whole it was an enjoyable bioware rpg. Brink on the other hand was a broken complete mess of a game. The single player AI was a joke, the multiplayer was unbalanced and not very much fun, and the game had numerous issues on the pc.

Seriously guys wtf?

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By MysteriousBob

@Tahnit said:

How the hell is dragon age 2 considered most disappointing game?

Its 'most disappointing' not 'worst'. Nobody had any expectations for Brink. How can you be disappointed by Brink when you didn't care from day 1?

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By emergency

No one actually thought BRINK would be amazing.. people had high expectationsf or DA2 and it sucked quite a bit.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Scrawnto

Yep. This is about the gap between expectations and reality. Brink looked a little janky before it was ever released, so expectations weren't as high.

tahnit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By tahnit

@MysteriousBob: I remember a lot of people looking forward to brink. It looked like something different and special and turned out to be just shit.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By McGhee

Ugh. . . thanks for spoiling it as I haven't got a chance to listen to it yet today.

But how many of these "URR SERIUSLY WHY THEY NO LIKE/HATE THE GAEMS I LIKE/HATE? ??" threads do we really need?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Seedofpower

Dragon age was amazing and Dragon age 2 was expected to be at least just as good or better, but wasn't.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Tahnit said:

How the hell is dragon age 2 considered most disappointing game? Did the bombsquad guys forget a game called BRINK?! Seriously that game was completely broken from day 1. Dragonage 2 had its issues but on the whole it was an enjoyable bioware rpg. Brink on the other hand was a broken complete mess of a game. The single player AI was a joke, the multiplayer was unbalanced and not very much fun, and the game had numerous issues on the pc.

Seriously guys wtf?

No one thought Brink was going to be all that good. And I disagree with you that Dragon Age 2 was "enjoyable." I think it was an insultingly bad money-grab. I was literally offended by how bad it was, and that's not something I can say of many games.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By zombie2011

@Tahnit said:

@MysteriousBob: I remember a lot of people looking forward to brink. It looked like something different and special and turned out to be just shit.

None of them thought it would be any good so why would they be disappointed by it?

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10  Edited By Bwast

I think in order to create an account on Giant Bomb you should have to provide a scan of your birth certificate.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Chop

Hey, I liked Dragon Age 2 more than most and even I would call it my most disappointing game of the year. You can see so many good ideas in it but everything is half finished and rushed. 

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

I only played as single-player, but I thought Brink was pretty good. The only issues that stick out to me at the moment about Brink were the story being almost completely hidden, the challenge modes being crappy and the weapons/upgrades not being all that great.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By Simplexity

To go from one of the best games of the decade to then turn around and release something like DA2, it can't not be the most disappointing game.

Also fuck Anders, seriously, what a shit character holy hell.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By DeeGee

People thought Brink was going to be any good? Weird,

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Bwast said:

I think in order to create an account on Giant Bomb you should have to provide a scan of your birth certificate.

To verify that you are a real person? Not a foreigner? Age? Just curious... Trying to decide if you're insane, or whether or not I agree with you.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jimbo

@Prodstep said:

Also fuck Anders seriously, what a shit character holy hell.

Well said.

BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BrockNRolla

@Jimbo said:

@Prodstep said:

Well said.

Absolutely.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kidman

@Tahnit said:

Seriously guys wtf?

thanks for the spoilers you asshole

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By jorbear

Dragon Age 2 made me want to blow up a Chantry and cause a civil war.

I hated it that much.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee

@BrockNRolla said:

@Jimbo said:

@Prodstep said:

Well said.

Absolutely.

Fuck Dragon Age 2 Anders. He was, at one point, a pretty likeable guy. In no small part thanks to another ever enjoyable voice performance by Greg Ellis. The same guy who graced us with the funniest strawberry fetishist of them all: Johnson. <3

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jadeskye

@Tahnit: Dragon age origins was a spectacular game that won inumerable awards for it's quality. It was pretty much universally adored and rightfully so.

Dragon age 2 was a travesty and spat in the face of everything DA:O set up.

Hence, heightened expectations from a genuinely fantastic game paid off with a sub-par game. Disappointing.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Tahnit: Brink had nothing to live up to. Dragon age 2 had...well Dragon age 1 which was pretty damn amazing. I liked both games a lot but I do agree that going from Dragon Age 1 to 2 really makes you scratch you head.

I mean who decided that having only 1 map of a cave for all the caves in the game was a good idea? Did they really tought that no one would notice?

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Branthog

Dragon Age 2 was fucking awful, but it wasn't even in the same league as shitty Bring or shitty Homefront.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Milkman

First off, fucking podcast spoilers in your title, asshole. Second, I'm glad Dragon Age 2 won because that game is an abortion of a video game next to the masterpiece that was Dragon Age: Origins. I've never been angrier about how shitty a video game was than Dragon Age 2.

drac96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#25  Edited By drac96

Brink didn't really have anything to live up to. The gameplay they showed never looked too great.

The original Dragon Age was awesome. Dragon Age 2 was exponentially less awesome. Thus making it the most disappointing game from people who liked the original Dragon Age.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ajamafalous
@McGhee said:

But how many of these "URR SERIUSLY WHY THEY NO LIKE/HATE THE GAEMS I LIKE/HATE? ??" threads do we really need?

I just got back to my computer 10 minutes ago for the first time in over a week and I've already seen three. 

Think I'll just stay away from the forums for a week or so.
matthias2437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By matthias2437

That game was such a ridiculous disappointment. I LOVE Dragon Age: Origins, and bought DA2 day one expecting it to be fantastic. I played it for about 5 hours and was so disappointed by how shitty it was I put it down and started a new Dragon Age: Origins play-through. Like people said it isn't the worst game of the year, just the most disappointing.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By demonbear

@Abyssfull said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@Jimbo said:

@Prodstep said:

Well said.

Absolutely.

Fuck Dragon Age 2 Anders. He was, at one point, a pretty likeable guy. In no small part thanks to another ever enjoyable voice performance by Greg Ellis. The same guy who graced us with the funniest strawberry fetishist of them all: Johnson. <3

This, Awakening's Anders was a cool character. But they took him in a very wrong direction in Dragon Age 2. The whole writing was just weaker in DA2 really. all the good writers were probably busy on SWTOR :P

wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

RPG nerds get way angrier than Shooter nerds.

That's why.

And what I mean by that is that a game like Brink was just another shooter. I thought it looked cool, until I saw it and it made me sad. Whatever, it was another shooter and there were better shooters to play anyway.

Dragon Age: Origins supplied rabid RPG fans who still think Morrowind is fun to play (like myself) with a fantastic tactical combat style RPG with a great story and huge scope. Dragon Age 2 was certainly serviceable, it just didn't meet the high expectations of it's fans. Then we rage hard about it.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By laserbolts

Man all this award bitching reminds me that there are way too many children frequenting these forums.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By StaticFalconar
@Tahnit said:

Except those people weren't the GB crew. I remember they pushed the review of the game back a bit because there just wasn't enough interest from the crew to even finish it. Jeff made it a TnT game just so he can nail two birds with one stone. Even during the TnT, Jeff was the only person that could answer any real questions about the game; not something that would happen if the crew in general was interested in it. 
Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32  Edited By Samaritan

Dragon Age: Origins was an INCREDIBLE game. It single-handedly showed that the crazy-long, in-depth, PC role-playing game could still work in this day and age. Its sequel had a lot to live up to, and it didn't live up to much in the end.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SSully

@Tahnit said:

There were people who thought it looked cool, but no one really knew.

Dragon Age 2 had a lot of hype because DA:O was a fantastic game. People were expecting a game that was as good, or better then DA:O, but we ended up getting a much worse game. That is disappointment.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BraveToaster

@Prodstep said:

To go from one of the best games of the decade to then turn around and release something like DA2, it can't not be the most disappointing game.

This, goddammit. Don't get me wrong, I thought Brink was going to be awesome, but I expected a lot more out of EA with the Dragon Age series.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Subjugation

@McGhee said:

Ugh. . . thanks for spoiling it as I haven't got a chance to listen to it yet today.

Seriously, don't put spoilers in thread titles. Ever. Thanks for messing up the podcast I haven't been able to listen to yet.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By Marz

I think the disappointment comes from Dragon Age 2 being a sequel to an amazing role playing game Dragon Age Origins, it just didn't match the quality and care in many departments, whether it be story and level design.. it just underachieved. Brink was an unknown quantity, and Splash Damage wasn't known for making awesome games in the first place, Enemy Territory and Quake Wars were decent games but nothing spectacular about them.... so yeah Brink was a bad game but it wasn't as disappointing in terms of expectations as other games were to come out this year.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By Bwast

@BrockNRolla said:

@Bwast said:

To verify that you are a real person? Not a foreigner? Age? Just curious... Trying to decide if you're insane, or whether or not I agree with you.

To verify you're not demon spawn.

He's complaining about game of the year shit. I wonder if that has anything to do with my comment.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#38  Edited By galiant

I like Dragon Age 2.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mandude

I'd say the biggest difference is that Bioware is highly revered and every game they make has been groundbreaking, and yet after already having perfected one game in the same franchise, they make a sequel that does worse on nearly every level.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vaportra1l

After how awesome Mass Effect 2 was, I think that is why the expectations were what they were. I was sorta expecting to see Duke on there, but it's pretty obvious that game would be what it turned out to be.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By octaslash

The redundant environments and wave based combat encounters are inexcusable. Everything except the story and characters felt very rushed. Especially compared to it's predecessor, which makes it all the more disappointing. 

However, I'm surprised so many people hated Anders. I thought they justified the drastic change in his character. Also, I cheered him on when he blew up the church. 

MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MiniPato

@Tahnit said:

None of the GB guys expected too much from Brink.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By vaiz

@MiniPato said:

@Tahnit said:

None of the GB guys expected too much from Brink.

Brink had a nebulous cloud of expectations based on trailers and previews, nothing that should rationally dictate the expected quality of the game. Dragon Age 2 had an excellent predecessor setting up solid expectations for it. Dragon Age 2 wins disappointment.

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By PolygonSlayer

I was really looking forward to DA2 and was completely shell shocked by how bad it was. I had high expectations ( was prepared for it probably not being as good as DAO), but I was not prepared for how bad that game was. Really, really sad what happened to that game :( I found very little to enjoy in it, from the lackluster story, boring characters, those damn dungeons!!, small world, etc etc blaahh.. so I suppose what I'm saying is I agree completely with this choice... erm.. it was well earned(?), I suppose.

There is a twinkle of hope deep inside me that DA3 could be good, but I got zero expectations for it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#45  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Even as someone who put that game on his GOTY list and likes it more than he probably should (and I do), there is no way that Dragon Age II is not one of the most disappointing games in a long time.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By breadfan

Great expectations make for even greater letdowns.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By imsh_pl

Hey, thanks for spoiling the results asshole.

And since I'm already here: it's their personal award. They'll pick whatever games they want.

Also, like everyone here has already said, no one had any expectations for Brink. DA:O on the other hand was widely liked, mainly by the 'hardcore' PC community, and the fact that they decided to abandon that formula and focus more on the console audience pissed many people, rightfully so.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By mordukai

@Tahnit: Brink was just overhyped. DA2 on the other hand followed what was Bioware's most successful game ever.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Oldirtybearon

@imsh_pl said:

Hey, thanks for spoiling the results asshole.

And since I'm already here: it's their personal award. They'll pick whatever games they want.

Also, like everyone here has already said, no one had any expectations for Brink. DA:O on the other hand was widely liked, mainly by the 'hardcore' PC community, and the fact that they decided to abandon that formula and focus more on the console audience pissed many people, rightfully so.

more people should've bought it on PC then. Only something like 300,000 units were sold for the PC.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By strainedeyes

Are people really bitching about spoilers for the GOTY award winners? I get that maybe you want to learn the winners while listening to the podcast, but c'mon. There's a video and a news article highlighting the winners on the front page, it's dumb to expect everyone to keep it hush hush.