• 156 results
#1 Posted by Tahnit (139 posts) -

How the hell is dragon age 2 considered most disappointing game? Did the bombsquad guys forget a game called BRINK?! Seriously that game was completely broken from day 1. Dragonage 2 had its issues but on the whole it was an enjoyable bioware rpg. Brink on the other hand was a broken complete mess of a game. The single player AI was a joke, the multiplayer was unbalanced and not very much fun, and the game had numerous issues on the pc.

Seriously guys wtf?

#2 Edited by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

@Tahnit said:

How the hell is dragon age 2 considered most disappointing game?

Its 'most disappointing' not 'worst'. Nobody had any expectations for Brink. How can you be disappointed by Brink when you didn't care from day 1?

#3 Posted by emergency (1193 posts) -

No one actually thought BRINK would be amazing.. people had high expectationsf or DA2 and it sucked quite a bit.

#4 Posted by Scrawnto (2433 posts) -

Yep. This is about the gap between expectations and reality. Brink looked a little janky before it was ever released, so expectations weren't as high.

#5 Posted by Tahnit (139 posts) -

@MysteriousBob: I remember a lot of people looking forward to brink. It looked like something different and special and turned out to be just shit.

#6 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Ugh. . . thanks for spoiling it as I haven't got a chance to listen to it yet today.

But how many of these "URR SERIUSLY WHY THEY NO LIKE/HATE THE GAEMS I LIKE/HATE? ??" threads do we really need?

#7 Posted by Seedofpower (3925 posts) -

Dragon age was amazing and Dragon age 2 was expected to be at least just as good or better, but wasn't.

#8 Edited by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Tahnit said:

How the hell is dragon age 2 considered most disappointing game? Did the bombsquad guys forget a game called BRINK?! Seriously that game was completely broken from day 1. Dragonage 2 had its issues but on the whole it was an enjoyable bioware rpg. Brink on the other hand was a broken complete mess of a game. The single player AI was a joke, the multiplayer was unbalanced and not very much fun, and the game had numerous issues on the pc.

Seriously guys wtf?

No one thought Brink was going to be all that good. And I disagree with you that Dragon Age 2 was "enjoyable." I think it was an insultingly bad money-grab. I was literally offended by how bad it was, and that's not something I can say of many games.

#9 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

@Tahnit said:

@MysteriousBob: I remember a lot of people looking forward to brink. It looked like something different and special and turned out to be just shit.

None of them thought it would be any good so why would they be disappointed by it?

#10 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

I think in order to create an account on Giant Bomb you should have to provide a scan of your birth certificate.

#11 Posted by Chop (1991 posts) -

Hey, I liked Dragon Age 2 more than most and even I would call it my most disappointing game of the year. You can see so many good ideas in it but everything is half finished and rushed. 

#12 Posted by BeachThunder (11642 posts) -

I only played as single-player, but I thought Brink was pretty good. The only issues that stick out to me at the moment about Brink were the story being almost completely hidden, the challenge modes being crappy and the weapons/upgrades not being all that great.

#13 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

To go from one of the best games of the decade to then turn around and release something like DA2, it can't not be the most disappointing game.

Also fuck Anders, seriously, what a shit character holy hell.

#14 Posted by DeeGee (2113 posts) -

People thought Brink was going to be any good? Weird,

#15 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Bwast said:

I think in order to create an account on Giant Bomb you should have to provide a scan of your birth certificate.

To verify that you are a real person? Not a foreigner? Age? Just curious... Trying to decide if you're insane, or whether or not I agree with you.

#16 Posted by Jimbo (9769 posts) -

@Prodstep said:

Also fuck Anders seriously, what a shit character holy hell.

Well said.

#17 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@Jimbo said:

@Prodstep said:

Well said.

Absolutely.

#18 Posted by kidman (465 posts) -

@Tahnit said:

Seriously guys wtf?

thanks for the spoilers you asshole

#19 Posted by jorbear (2517 posts) -

Dragon Age 2 made me want to blow up a Chantry and cause a civil war.

I hated it that much.

#20 Posted by Yummylee (21204 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@Jimbo said:

@Prodstep said:

Well said.

Absolutely.

Fuck Dragon Age 2 Anders. He was, at one point, a pretty likeable guy. In no small part thanks to another ever enjoyable voice performance by Greg Ellis. The same guy who graced us with the funniest strawberry fetishist of them all: Johnson. <3

#21 Posted by Jadeskye (4366 posts) -

@Tahnit: Dragon age origins was a spectacular game that won inumerable awards for it's quality. It was pretty much universally adored and rightfully so.

Dragon age 2 was a travesty and spat in the face of everything DA:O set up.

Hence, heightened expectations from a genuinely fantastic game paid off with a sub-par game. Disappointing.

#22 Posted by Narx (172 posts) -

@Tahnit: Brink had nothing to live up to. Dragon age 2 had...well Dragon age 1 which was pretty damn amazing. I liked both games a lot but I do agree that going from Dragon Age 1 to 2 really makes you scratch you head.

I mean who decided that having only 1 map of a cave for all the caves in the game was a good idea? Did they really tought that no one would notice?

#23 Posted by Branthog (7340 posts) -

Dragon Age 2 was fucking awful, but it wasn't even in the same league as shitty Bring or shitty Homefront.

#24 Edited by Milkman (16482 posts) -

First off, fucking podcast spoilers in your title, asshole. Second, I'm glad Dragon Age 2 won because that game is an abortion of a video game next to the masterpiece that was Dragon Age: Origins. I've never been angrier about how shitty a video game was than Dragon Age 2.

#25 Posted by drac96 (665 posts) -

Brink didn't really have anything to live up to. The gameplay they showed never looked too great.

The original Dragon Age was awesome. Dragon Age 2 was exponentially less awesome. Thus making it the most disappointing game from people who liked the original Dragon Age.

#26 Posted by ajamafalous (11809 posts) -
@McGhee said:

But how many of these "URR SERIUSLY WHY THEY NO LIKE/HATE THE GAEMS I LIKE/HATE? ??" threads do we really need?

I just got back to my computer 10 minutes ago for the first time in over a week and I've already seen three. 

Think I'll just stay away from the forums for a week or so.
#27 Posted by matthias2437 (985 posts) -

That game was such a ridiculous disappointment. I LOVE Dragon Age: Origins, and bought DA2 day one expecting it to be fantastic. I played it for about 5 hours and was so disappointed by how shitty it was I put it down and started a new Dragon Age: Origins play-through. Like people said it isn't the worst game of the year, just the most disappointing.

#28 Posted by demonbear (1859 posts) -

@Abyssfull said:

@BrockNRolla said:

@Jimbo said:

@Prodstep said:

Well said.

Absolutely.

Fuck Dragon Age 2 Anders. He was, at one point, a pretty likeable guy. In no small part thanks to another ever enjoyable voice performance by Greg Ellis. The same guy who graced us with the funniest strawberry fetishist of them all: Johnson. <3

This, Awakening's Anders was a cool character. But they took him in a very wrong direction in Dragon Age 2. The whole writing was just weaker in DA2 really. all the good writers were probably busy on SWTOR :P

#29 Edited by wolf_blitzer85 (5250 posts) -

RPG nerds get way angrier than Shooter nerds.

That's why.

And what I mean by that is that a game like Brink was just another shooter. I thought it looked cool, until I saw it and it made me sad. Whatever, it was another shooter and there were better shooters to play anyway.

Dragon Age: Origins supplied rabid RPG fans who still think Morrowind is fun to play (like myself) with a fantastic tactical combat style RPG with a great story and huge scope. Dragon Age 2 was certainly serviceable, it just didn't meet the high expectations of it's fans. Then we rage hard about it.

#30 Posted by laserbolts (5309 posts) -

Man all this award bitching reminds me that there are way too many children frequenting these forums.

#31 Posted by StaticFalconar (4849 posts) -
@Tahnit said:

Except those people weren't the GB crew. I remember they pushed the review of the game back a bit because there just wasn't enough interest from the crew to even finish it. Jeff made it a TnT game just so he can nail two birds with one stone. Even during the TnT, Jeff was the only person that could answer any real questions about the game; not something that would happen if the crew in general was interested in it. 
#32 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1552 posts) -

Dragon Age: Origins was an INCREDIBLE game. It single-handedly showed that the crazy-long, in-depth, PC role-playing game could still work in this day and age. Its sequel had a lot to live up to, and it didn't live up to much in the end.

#33 Posted by SSully (4117 posts) -

@Tahnit said:

There were people who thought it looked cool, but no one really knew.

Dragon Age 2 had a lot of hype because DA:O was a fantastic game. People were expecting a game that was as good, or better then DA:O, but we ended up getting a much worse game. That is disappointment.

#34 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

@Prodstep said:

To go from one of the best games of the decade to then turn around and release something like DA2, it can't not be the most disappointing game.

This, goddammit. Don't get me wrong, I thought Brink was going to be awesome, but I expected a lot more out of EA with the Dragon Age series.

#35 Posted by Subjugation (4716 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Ugh. . . thanks for spoiling it as I haven't got a chance to listen to it yet today.

Seriously, don't put spoilers in thread titles. Ever. Thanks for messing up the podcast I haven't been able to listen to yet.

#36 Posted by Marz (5641 posts) -

I think the disappointment comes from Dragon Age 2 being a sequel to an amazing role playing game Dragon Age Origins, it just didn't match the quality and care in many departments, whether it be story and level design.. it just underachieved. Brink was an unknown quantity, and Splash Damage wasn't known for making awesome games in the first place, Enemy Territory and Quake Wars were decent games but nothing spectacular about them.... so yeah Brink was a bad game but it wasn't as disappointing in terms of expectations as other games were to come out this year.

#37 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

@BrockNRolla said:

@Bwast said:

To verify that you are a real person? Not a foreigner? Age? Just curious... Trying to decide if you're insane, or whether or not I agree with you.

To verify you're not demon spawn.

He's complaining about game of the year shit. I wonder if that has anything to do with my comment.

#38 Posted by Galiant (2175 posts) -

I like Dragon Age 2.

#39 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

I'd say the biggest difference is that Bioware is highly revered and every game they make has been groundbreaking, and yet after already having perfected one game in the same franchise, they make a sequel that does worse on nearly every level.

#40 Posted by vaportra1l (270 posts) -

After how awesome Mass Effect 2 was, I think that is why the expectations were what they were. I was sorta expecting to see Duke on there, but it's pretty obvious that game would be what it turned out to be.

#41 Edited by Octaslash (476 posts) -

The redundant environments and wave based combat encounters are inexcusable. Everything except the story and characters felt very rushed. Especially compared to it's predecessor, which makes it all the more disappointing. 

However, I'm surprised so many people hated Anders. I thought they justified the drastic change in his character. Also, I cheered him on when he blew up the church. 

#42 Posted by MiniPato (2714 posts) -

@Tahnit said:

None of the GB guys expected too much from Brink.

#43 Posted by punkxblaze (2948 posts) -

@MiniPato said:

@Tahnit said:

None of the GB guys expected too much from Brink.

Brink had a nebulous cloud of expectations based on trailers and previews, nothing that should rationally dictate the expected quality of the game. Dragon Age 2 had an excellent predecessor setting up solid expectations for it. Dragon Age 2 wins disappointment.

#44 Posted by PolygonSlayer (419 posts) -

I was really looking forward to DA2 and was completely shell shocked by how bad it was. I had high expectations ( was prepared for it probably not being as good as DAO), but I was not prepared for how bad that game was. Really, really sad what happened to that game :( I found very little to enjoy in it, from the lackluster story, boring characters, those damn dungeons!!, small world, etc etc blaahh.. so I suppose what I'm saying is I agree completely with this choice... erm.. it was well earned(?), I suppose.

There is a twinkle of hope deep inside me that DA3 could be good, but I got zero expectations for it.

#45 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

Even as someone who put that game on his GOTY list and likes it more than he probably should (and I do), there is no way that Dragon Age II is not one of the most disappointing games in a long time.

#46 Edited by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Great expectations make for even greater letdowns.

#47 Posted by imsh_pl (3295 posts) -

Hey, thanks for spoiling the results asshole.

And since I'm already here: it's their personal award. They'll pick whatever games they want.

Also, like everyone here has already said, no one had any expectations for Brink. DA:O on the other hand was widely liked, mainly by the 'hardcore' PC community, and the fact that they decided to abandon that formula and focus more on the console audience pissed many people, rightfully so.

#48 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@Tahnit: Brink was just overhyped. DA2 on the other hand followed what was Bioware's most successful game ever.

#49 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4515 posts) -

@imsh_pl said:

Hey, thanks for spoiling the results asshole.

And since I'm already here: it's their personal award. They'll pick whatever games they want.

Also, like everyone here has already said, no one had any expectations for Brink. DA:O on the other hand was widely liked, mainly by the 'hardcore' PC community, and the fact that they decided to abandon that formula and focus more on the console audience pissed many people, rightfully so.

more people should've bought it on PC then. Only something like 300,000 units were sold for the PC.

#50 Edited by StrainedEyes (1319 posts) -

Are people really bitching about spoilers for the GOTY award winners? I get that maybe you want to learn the winners while listening to the podcast, but c'mon. There's a video and a news article highlighting the winners on the front page, it's dumb to expect everyone to keep it hush hush.