Most Disappointing Game You Ever Bought?

p00rdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By p00rdevil

Not actually the worst game ever, but one you were expecting something from and it just fell short, didn't deliver on your expectations.

Years ago I picked up Rune for the PC. I heard it was a Viking game rooted on Viking lore and history. Started out promising enough in a Viking village. Oh boy! I was anticipating some real Viking action, sailing on board a Viking ship, raiding the coast of weakling Europeans, pillaging, looting, storming castles. I got on board my first ship and set sail, all excited about my life of raiding and fighting. Then out of the blue, when we are barely out of the harbor, my ship breaks up and sinks! I float down to the bottom of the ocean and wake up in a cave. The game turns out to be a dungeon crawl in some deep caverns. No sailing, no looting, no fighting, no burning villages, no ravaging women, none of that. I was so bummed I couldn't play the game more than a few hours, long enough to realize it wasn't going to be the game I was expecting it to be.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By shaunk

So this is similar to the topic about the worst game you ever bought?

Hmm, Crisis Core.

kiwi_whisker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kiwi_whisker

The first game I bought for my new ps3. Far Cry 2. Was so pumped, but letdown by bad multiplayer and boring single player, never did finish it.

Crypt135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Crypt135

Dragon Age 2.

Drazat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Drazat

Operation wolf on the spectrum I loved the arcade with the machine gun.Sadly at the time home computers could not hold a candle to arcades.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Canteu

@Crypt135 said:

Dragon Age 2.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By ddensel

Wario World. In comparison to the Wario Land games for Gameboy and considering it was developed by Treasure, it was an extreme disappointment.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Crysis 2.. 

DrStrangepork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DrStrangepork

State of Emergency. After riding the 'high' that was GTA 3 that game was a huge disappointment, the game sucked as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Twilight Princess.

Bleeble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Bleeble

Resident Evil 5.

lemontron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lemontron

@Bleeble said:

Resident Evil 5.
Gloobus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gloobus

Final Fantasy 11, worst 100 dollars I've ever spent.

Avatar image for midnightgreen20
midnightgreen20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By midnightgreen20

RE5 was a huge letdown. A far cry from a horror game coupled with companion AI that had absolutely no problem with wasting as many bullets as possible on a single zombie.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By phrali

Dead Island.

it looked so awesome and it was awesome for like 4 hours. then it was fucking horrible.

none of the hype or the press i saw mentioned anything about how bad the game was after the first resort area.

Panpipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Panpipe

Doom 3 on Xbox.

Why did I preorder the stupid steel-case edition?

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By habster3

Hmm... probably Okami. I mean, I know everyone loved it, but I just didn't like it; part of the reason for this was the fact that none of the painting abilities worked for me (might've been the controller, but that's unlikely).

BleedingStarX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By BleedingStarX

In recent memory, Gotham City Imposters

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShadowConqueror

Warhammer: Mark of Chaos

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By vidiot

Enter The Matrix, in terms of general quality. I don't sell off any of my old games, sorta a principle thing, but I've come close a dozen times with this one. Although at this point it would probably sell for a few quarters.

The only other game that can be associated to being cosmically disappointed was Xenosaga Episode II. Everyone has told me that Episode III was phenomenal, but that game alone pretty much deterred me off the series entirely. Disappointing, because I absolutely adored the first game.

@habster3 said:

Hmm... probably Okami. I mean, I know everyone loved it, but I just didn't like it; part of the reason for this was the fact that none of the painting abilities worked for me (might've been the controller, but that's unlikely).

Was there something wrong with the Wii version? I played that on PS2 and never had issues with the painting abilities, nor have I heard anyone else citing that as an issue. Elaborate?

the_red_mage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21  Edited By the_red_mage

Soul Calibur IV

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By Giantstalker

@Canteu said:

@Crypt135 said:

Dragon Age 2.

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#23  Edited By elyk247

Maybe it's just the person I am but i have a lot of those.

1. Mega Man 64 (this was garbage)
  2. AHHH! Real Monsters for the SNES ( the show was awesome)
  3. Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway (Writing was trash compared to the first two games),
  4. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I still think this game could have been really fun if I didn't have to carry the damn lantern everywhere and by two cables for the rest of my family to play)
  5. The one that most recently sticks out in my mind is Borderlands. I got to level 15 and realized I was having no fun at all.
corruptsaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By corruptsaves

NBA Street Homecourt

I loved NBA Street V3 on the Gamecube, with extra Nintendo characters to play as and it even seemed to suite the game pad as well. I was a bit late getting a PS3 so Homecourt had already been out awhile. I couldn't quite put my finger on it but it just didn't feel the same and was quite a bare bones game overall.

Hope another Street game comes out eventually.

Levius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Levius

Conflict Denied Ops. Having gone through the first four games co-op I had built up a great affection for the series, and when I saw the game come seemingly out of nowhere I took it on trust that the new game would capture the same magic.

Then me and my longtime co-op buddy sat down with it and was genuinely shocked about how great a shit the game took on its predecessors. The next day I took the game straight back to the shop, after playing the game for about 30 minutes.

twylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By twylo

Probably SSB:B.. I bought my Wii and the game with it at the same time. The online experience was terrible, and my Wii just collected dust for a month after the first week until I sold it.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Dagbiker

Assains Creed 2

more like Ass creed 2.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By ProfessorEss
MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By MayorFeedback

Homefront.

downtime58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By downtime58

Far Cry 2 - I loved the original and was incredibly disappointed with the non-sequel sequel...I gave it fifteen hours of my time trying to warm up to it, but it just never happened.

tescovee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By tescovee
landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#32  Edited By landon

Prototype. I can't even believe there was a "rivalry" between that and inFamous.

Avatar image for solarisdeschain
solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By solarisdeschain

The ones that stick out the most are Alan Wake, Fallout 3, and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#34  Edited By liquiddragon

-perfect dark zero

-dragon ball z budokai

i'm sure there is more....

coreymw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By coreymw

Halo 2.

Halo: CE was, at the time, one of the greatest games I had ever played. Everything about it appealed to me, space, a stellar war between several races, it was everything I thought I wanted in a game. Then, leading up to the release of Halo 2 I took part in the ARG, I was pumped, everyone I knew was pumped. When I got it home and played it I was devastated. It was a mixture of my own anticipation and the over hyping in the media. That game was everywhere at all times.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By onan
Alkaiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Alkaiser

GTA4. Honestly, I've never been one for the open-world style of gameplay and never really jived with Rockstar's sense of humor, but all the podcasts and websites were pushing that game hard. I bought into the hype and felt like an idiot for throwing down 60 on a game I played for a couple hours and hated.

I honestly can't think of another game that all of gaming journalism put their collective weight behind. Everyone was bugfuck crazy about it. Hell, one of the podcasts I listened to at the time (one of the 1up ones) started up a weekly segment asking people to write in their GTA4 experiences so they could read them on the air. I don't think anyone had anything negative to say about the game until much of the hype had died down months later.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38  Edited By Daneian

Catherine

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#39  Edited By alistercat

This thread seems to crop up every couple of weeks. I will say what I always say. Never disappointed by the games I buy. I know what I'm in for, and I only buy games I like.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By liquiddragon

@Coreymw: omg Halo 2 hands down. i completely erased it from my memory.

Chris_Ihao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Chris_Ihao

@Bleeble said:

Resident Evil 5.

@lemontron said:

@Bleeble said:

Resident Evil 5.

@midnightgreen20 said:

RE5 was a huge letdown. A far cry from a horror game coupled with companion AI that had absolutely no problem with wasting as many bullets as possible on a single zombie.

Did you guys play with a human partner? I enjoyed this game immensely once I got to play it with a long time friend of mine. It would naturally feel different with an AI though. Only played singleplayer a while and had a few shitty situations where I died due to the AI's lack of artificial intelligence.

Hmm. I think my most disappointing game must be Robin Hood: The legend of Sherwood which I bought on Steam about 3-4 months ago. Looks like a great game a la Commandos, but of some stupid reason it works gradually worse with newer hardware than older hardware at least partly due to a "patch" applied by Meridian4 at some point if I remember correctly. If you look at the specs on the Steam page you can read: "Does not support NVIDIA GTX 580, GTX 260 and GTS 250 Graphics cards." Well, it wasnt there when I bought it, and I have a GTX580. Only game I asked for a refund for on Steam, and only one I'll ever get according to the representative that sent me the mail.

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By TheGorilla

I would say Half-life episode 2 if it didn't come with Portal and TF2. Other than that Uncharted 3.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ReVamp

Final Fantasy XIII. Biggest Piece of shit ever. It was a huge letdown, even from twelve which has thus become "not such a bad thing"

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By Zippedbinders

Call of Duty 4, its overly lauded and obnoxious loud garbage.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncharted 3, I guess, and maybe Crysis 2...

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By habster3

@vidiot said:

@habster3 said:

Was there something wrong with the Wii version? I played that on PS2 and never had issues with the painting abilities, nor have I heard anyone else citing that as an issue. Elaborate?

No, it was the PS2 version. Honestly, I'm not sure why the paint controls wouldn't work; I mean, everything else did. Just randomly adding this one in here, but I also found the "voices" very grating; I had to mute the TV when I was playing.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cloudenvy

Proooooobably Half-Life 2.

d_breeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By d_breeze

SMT: Devil Summoner 2. I liked the first one but the gimmicks in the second one were a huge let down because I hate gimmicks... the little plush toy was the best part.

The only other one was Arc the Lad: End of Darkness. I loved Twilight of the Spirits but End of Darkness was crap.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#49  Edited By Sackmanjones
@Cloudenvy said:

Proooooobably Half-Life 2.

I wasn't let down by it, I just didn't think it was as incredible as everybody else thought it was.  

But in my opinion I have been let down by AC revelations.  Probably played 4 hours of it and took a break.  Went to MGS hd and now Im back to Skyrim....with no feeling whatsoever to go back to AC. Its by no means a bad game, its just...... fuck idk!
Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fable III. I played 1 on PC and fucking loved it. I dont have a 360 so i skipped over 2, and went head over heels in joy when they announced 3 on PC. I got it, beat it once and havent touched it since.