#201 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

@SlashDance said:

I see a lot of Dragon Age 2s, Resident Evil 5s, Crysis 2s and other pretty decent games, if a bit disappointing. Did you guys really never buy anything worse than that in your life ? I wish I could say the same. I bought my share of awful, awful stuff. Brute Force comes to mind, Turok Evolution, Jurassic Park on the Psone, Fester Quest on the NES.

Dragon Age 2 ? That sounds like the best game ever made compared to some games I've bought over the years.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if it's the recency effect, just younger people posting here, or some kind a weird "I'm cool if I say I'm disappointed with something everybody else likes" angle.

I've been buying bad games since the Atari 2600 days, and man, have I had some truly nasty crap. Earlier in this thread I mentioned how I actually bought, with my own money, as a 10 year old, a copy of E.T. for the 2600. Not long after that, I was buying bad games for the C=64. Later, I'm right there with you on Fester Quest for the NES (LOL). In those days, we had no game trailers, no demos, no internet to research a game. Shocking levels of disappointment were the order of the day.

How people can list any of today's AAA titles, I don't get. Then again, maybe all they're buying is AAA titles?

#202 Posted by umdesch4 (772 posts) -

@Slag said:

Boy and his Blob for the NES

man was that an education. Before that game I never played a game I didn't like. I wanted it so bad for my birthday since the premise looked cool to me as a kid. Being that was well before the interwebs and I didn't have Nintendo Power or any of that, I basically wanted to own it based off the cover of the game and name.

I played it for about 20 minutes and didn't touch it again for about ten years. I felt so bad about it I apologized to my parents for asking for the game.

Oh man, I was nodding my head through that whole story. I've done the same thing with other games of that era. For the record, the sequel to that game, for the Game Boy a couple years later, also sucked really hard.

#203 Edited by Jeust (10489 posts) -
@lemontron said:

@Bleeble said:

Resident Evil 5.

That was disapponting, but I was expecting it. How could there be a horror game set on Africa in broad day light? It couldn't be good. 

On topic, El Shaddai. The game only had the looks, everything was disappointing.
#204 Posted by piropeople13 (399 posts) -

Haze for PS3

#205 Posted by rentfn (1278 posts) -

@piropeople13: was it because gaming is a religion to you??

#206 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

@stryker1121 said:

@GuyIncognito: More of a Bonestorm guy, eh?

Haha! Yeah.

#207 Posted by Sarx (117 posts) -

Hexplore. It was a pure impulse buy and I still regret it - even more as I did not have too much money back in the day.

#208 Posted by Slag (4085 posts) -

@umdesch4 said:

Oh man, I was nodding my head through that whole story. I've done the same thing with other games of that era. For the record, the sequel to that game, for the Game Boy a couple years later, also sucked really hard.

Yeah I think all 80's gamers have been there at one time or another.

Hah, I'm not surprised GB version of A Boy and his Blob was terrible too! The mechanics of the first game were just awful. I see that the Wii version is well regarded, but I'm too scarred to give it a chance.

Never again.

@umdesch4 said:

@SlashDance said:

I see a lot of Dragon Age 2s, Resident Evil 5s, Crysis 2s and other pretty decent games, if a bit disappointing. Did you guys really never buy anything worse than that in your life ? I wish I could say the same. I bought my share of awful, awful stuff. Brute Force comes to mind, Turok Evolution, Jurassic Park on the Psone, Fester Quest on the NES.

Dragon Age 2 ? That sounds like the best game ever made compared to some games I've bought over the years.

Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if it's the recency effect, just younger people posting here, or some kind a weird "I'm cool if I say I'm disappointed with something everybody else likes" angle.

I've been buying bad games since the Atari 2600 days, and man, have I had some truly nasty crap. Earlier in this thread I mentioned how I actually bought, with my own money, as a 10 year old, a copy of E.T. for the 2600. Not long after that, I was buying bad games for the C=64. Later, I'm right there with you on Fester Quest for the NES (LOL). In those days, we had no game trailers, no demos, no internet to research a game. Shocking levels of disappointment were the order of the day.

How people can list any of today's AAA titles, I don't get. Then again, maybe all they're buying is AAA titles?

preach on brother(s).

dang man Fester's Quest was some nasty business. For that I think I actually read a really positive Nintendo Power article on it first and they pushed that game really hard as being the next big thing. I felt pretty tricked about that one.

Yeah the gamers of today hey don't know how good they've got it. There was some serious amount of dreck back in the day (besides the classics everyone knows)and there was a good chance you would eventually buy one no matter how hard you tried.

I think you're right it's mainly due to age differences. If you never live through something like that where as a little kid word of mouth and game covers were about all you had to judge new IPs on besides gaming rags (which I never had enough allowance money to buy), it's somewhat hard to conceive of what it might be like. Which is ok. In their shoes, I'm sure I would be the same. Thanks to things like Giantbomb, gaming consumers are much much savvier shoppers today than we were. I know I rarely buy a game I don't already like in some way now.

So I do think a game like Dragon Age II would seem like a very dissappointing game when your overall choices probably meet your expectations more often now or come closer to it. I doubt the kids of today buy as many really bad games as I bought. And certainly far less outright broken pieces of garbage like E.T.

e.g. I tried explaining to a 22 year old yesterday how you played fantasy sports before the internet. Ha! You should have seen his face!

#209 Edited by uniform (1832 posts) -
@umdesch4 said:

You're an extreme age minority on here to be ten years of age when E.T. was released for the 2600. At 34, I remember buying a handful of 2600 games with a pennysaver route, and I don't recall the games let alone my reactions to them. Most of the purchases that I can recall were NES/Master system onward. At this point I was saving up for games with a local paper route. These took so much effort to purchase I'd almost never blind buy, with purchases based on time played with a rental or borrowed from a friend. With the 16-bit era ushered in, I was reading Electronic Gaming Monthly reviews to help guide my purchases. Those guys never let me down once. I was happy with all my 16-bit purchases. 

Fast forward to now, where I list GTA IV as my most disappointing purchase. Sure, there may be a recency effect at play. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have the memory you do when it comes to purchasing those stinkers. Again, I'm 34, so I'm not exactly young when you look at the average age of a Giant Bomb poster. The idea of typing a triple A title on an internet message board as a most disappointing purchase in order to appear "cool" seems a tad silly to me. You're sure to receive the exact opposite of cool points from most of the other posters. They're definitely going to throw out assumptions when they cannot comprehend why you didn't like that triple A title that everyone else does. With my choice there's a lot of reasons for it, anticipation for a game based on past offerings from that series, incredible amounts of hype surrounding a title. With those stinkers of the past on 2600 there was nothing to get excited about other than the fact you were buying a new game. You make those purchases knowing almost everything was a surprise. You win some, you lose some. With a lot of triple A titles there comes expectations, and when it does a lot worse than meet those expectations, chances are the result is a very disappointing feeling towards that purchase. A disappointment I imagine to be greater than a blind buy.
#210 Posted by amir90 (2154 posts) -

Dragon age 2 - meh, not worth the full price it was asked for..
Final fantasy 13, got to the end (almost to the very last boss)
I got mad, and traded it in, I even forced my friend to trade in his copy of it , by giving away my copy of dead space 2 :p

#211 Posted by rachelepithet (1350 posts) -

Royal Rumble for the Dreamcast. As an actual arcade-unit game it was pretty shitty, you'd be disappointed by the lack of content even at fifty cents. But alas, they put it on the DC for $50 dollars. Imagine charging $50 for the newgroundz click-the-soccer-ball-to-keep-it-in-air Flash game.

#212 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

The latest would be Uncharted 3. I'm about half way through and have no will to actually finish it. It's just kind of meh and the the shooting is piss poor, even after the patch.

#213 Posted by GolazoDan (114 posts) -

I didn't really like Prototype despite liking the initial look of it, a few developer videos and the like. I didn't dig the story, I didn't like the enemies you'd fight and I wasn't blown away by the powers. Although to be honest I heard it was like that open world Hulk game and I think I'd just have preferred to play that.

#214 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1783 posts) -

The only two I can think of right now are FarCry 2 and Magna Carta: Tears of Blood. FarCry 2 sucked because everyone in the country were trying to kill you at all costs in a open world shooter game. Magna Carta made me fall asleep almost every time I tried playing it.

#215 Posted by Deathawk (280 posts) -

Animal Crossing Wild World-it's kind of hard to explain if you never played an Animal Crossing game, but straight up there were significant parts of that game that were broken.

#216 Posted by Deadmeat (94 posts) -

Jurassic Park for the SNES. Fuck that game and it's lack of save slots. Once I shut the system off it cleared everything. Lucky for me you could take games back when I was a kid.

#217 Posted by Jewittm (9 posts) -

The Burning Crusade

#218 Posted by MocBucket62 (1160 posts) -

I got some good choices , but I might go with Empire Total War. If only I had the tech to run this properly, it would of been a fun game, but because I didn't it was a stiff and disappointing total war experience.

#219 Posted by Gellrock (381 posts) -

Two Worlds, I was so hyped with the extensive magic system and the crazy looking combat. I brought it home after school on the Tuesday and played for 10 minutes. Within that time I heard the worst voice acting imaginable, arrows that don't stick into things, and the clunkiest movement ever. Not to mention the horrendous loads and terrible fps. I returned it within the next 20 minutes and picked up Crackdown, much better purchase.

#220 Posted by barberforce (103 posts) -

Gears of War 3

#221 Posted by spilledmilkfactory (1845 posts) -

Far Cry 2, Dead Island, and Homefront have all been really underwhelming to me. That, and when I found out as a kid that Final Fantasy Tactics was not the same kind of thing as Final Fantasy IX. Great game, but if baffled my infant mind and wasn't at all what I expected.

#222 Posted by eclipsesis (1242 posts) -

devil may cry 2

#223 Posted by HorseFactory (98 posts) -

Shaq-Fu.

#224 Posted by CrystaljDesign (148 posts) -

@mosdl said:

Rage on PC probably. Bought it on sale and played some, the shooting wasn't great and there were still textures issues.

Same here!

#225 Posted by ThePhantomnaut (6191 posts) -

Resident Evil 4.

#226 Posted by WilliamHenry (1201 posts) -

Turtles In Time Reshelled.

#227 Posted by sevenLiter (110 posts) -

Renegade for the NES. As a kid, I had to save-up forever to buy the thing. That game would beat the hell out of you by the 3rd level. I was so sad.

#228 Posted by JCGamer (659 posts) -

Superman for the NES. I mean it was fickin' Superman on the NES? How could it
NOT have been awesome. At least that's what I thought when I was a kid. Of course, the game was terrible and I could never figure

#229 Posted by Zsciaeount (36 posts) -

Comic Jumper

#230 Posted by XChairmanDrekX (280 posts) -

LA Noire, I expected something akin to Ace Attorney in terms of investigation and interrogation. All the cases felt bland, very few twists and hardly any buildup. Homicide went on for way too long, so much so that all the cases started running together and by the end I just didn't give a damn about the over-arching story. Vice was alright, a nice change of pace but too short. Then Arson attempts to tie up the plot but if felt too disjointed by the end so I didn't feel very attached to the main characters. It was an interesting game, certainly worth playing once, but after beating I sold it back, not even bothering to do the extra cases.

Plus the shooting was lame and the fist-fights were GARBAGE. Only the car-chases were alright and even those got tiring near the end.

#231 Posted by Sammo21 (3215 posts) -

Hard to say. I remember buying Warhammer 40K Firewarrior on launch day and wanting to punch a baby in the face.

#232 Posted by RulerofEvilzz (2 posts) -

Rage was a big letdown for me, not only was the PC release a disaster, the story was "meh" and felt too linear for what it was trying to do.

#233 Posted by cruxking (204 posts) -

Dawn of war 2.

#234 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

I'm glad people finally mentioned games from some older systems!

I believe mine would have to be Yoshi's Story on the N64. Having played Yoshi's Island on the SNES, I figured this would be more awesomeness in a 3D-ish render. What I got was a game where you play annoying baby yoshis who eat fruit, and the only "challenge" of the game is finding and eating all the elusive melons; even the last boss gives you a goddamn tree filled with health-restoring fruit, right there in the room.

The worst part was, this was a birthday present from my Godmother, and I so badly wanted to return it and get something decent, but couldn't bear to hurt her feelings by returning a gift :(

Runners-up include A Bard's Tale, simply because GameStop forgot to put the disc in, and The Old Republic, which may as well still be in beta testing.

#235 Posted by sionweeks (646 posts) -

Spore.

#236 Posted by p00rdevil (158 posts) -

@sionweeks said:

Spore.

This game... I remember Spore being so hyped... this game is going to be something special! How can it not be? it is being created by one of the industry's finest minds in game development, Will Wright. I never played any of Will's games except The Sims. The first Sims when it first came out, I picked it up at Electronic Boutique . Back in those days if you bought a PC game and didn't like it you could return it. The Sims! what a joke that game was. I couldn't believe it, playing house on my PC. I was so underwhelmed by that game I took it back to EB and told those guys, don't you ever sell me a game like this again! We all had a big laugh.

That was my one and only experience with Will Wright. So when Spore started making the rounds, and the pre release hype was going strong on the gaming boards, I was in the minority saying, you guys are nuts thinking this Spore is going to be something great. It's a Will Wright game, whose idea of great gameplay is The Sims for crying out loud!

Nothing personal against Will Wright, after all I am sitting here making internet posts in obscurity while he has created one of the best selling PC games of all time with The Sims, and enjoys a certain amount of wealth and fame. But his Idea and my idea of great gaming are polar opposites.

#237 Posted by SomeScrub (49 posts) -

DEVIL MAY CRY 2 what a poor life choice that was. Devil may cry was my favorite game up until this point in time too. So god was I pissed, that game is so terrible I had to force my way through it just to say I could do it.

#238 Posted by Mikemcn (6959 posts) -

Shogun 2, the realm divide mechanic is terrible, in other total war games if you decide you don't want a challenge and just want to take over vast amounts of territory, you can modify the difficulty accordingly, not so in Shogun 2, halfway through any game the difficulty spikes absurdly regardless of AI settings, unless you are willing to slog through for hours on end, getting your ass kicked, you have to give up.

#239 Edited by RichMeisterMan (70 posts) -

@lemontron said:

@Bleeble said:

Resident Evil 5.

This game was definitely a disappointment. I don't know what it is though, because while the mechanics of the game are undeniably outdated Resident Evil 4 is still fun!

#240 Posted by sionweeks (646 posts) -

@p00rdevil: But surely you can still understand what a great game The Sims is, even though you dislike it? As for Spore, the creator and the space part were good, but everything just lacked the deep game play that the games it tried to replicate had.

#241 Posted by Ulain (315 posts) -

@p00rdevil: As for the Sims, the biggest hypothetical disappoint should/would be the "expansion" packs. Am I getting like 2/3 of another game for $30-40? The price for those pieces of crap seems atrocious. Although as Devil's Advocate, I'd say at least the vanilla version of the games are a bit more than "playing house". I don't know too many people who go catch 1,000 pound robot fish or dance to techno with ghosts at 5 in the morning. At least, that's what mine did :P

#242 Edited by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Devil May Cry 2. That franchise felt like it was set to be on fire after the original, then that happened. It speaks volumes to how much of an inferior product it was in the shadow of the original, that even after buying it heavily discounted, it was still a crushing disappointment. Perhaps someone can speak to what exactly made it bad, but I seem to remember an overwhelming feeling of blandness about the whole thing. Which was certainly not the intent going in I'm sure, the original practically oozed style and charm.

#243 Posted by NMC2008 (1231 posts) -

Ever? Like.......... EVER?! Hmmmmm........ well........... can I give you 5?

Super Mario 64 (seriously, I didn't like it, I actually considered returning the N64 and the game, this is when it first came out and was really hard to find here in Los Angeles, but I didn't, I still don't care for it)

Sonic The Hedgehog 2006 (360)

Back To The Future (NES)

2Xtreme (PS1)

Battle Arena Toshinden URA (Sega Saturn)

#244 Posted by XxBarretxX (307 posts) -

Probably Red dead Redemption. That game was ok at best at times. Never really blew my mind or anything. Def not GOTY material.

#245 Posted by fRAWRst (236 posts) -

The original Fable. I was 13 or 14 and had saved up doing chores around the house. Bought this game brand new for 60 dollars, beat it that night.

Was

so

furious

#246 Posted by Juicebox (485 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 3. I hated it, bought the HD collection and I still think it's horrid. They tried making an action game out of a stealth game, those controls are terrible for that setting, MGS2 and 1 were great but not this one. Snakes voice was intentionally made to be annoying as all hell. Played Peacewalker and it's much much better than 3.

#247 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Dragon Age : Origins

#248 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -

Mass Effect 3.

#249 Posted by Deusoma (3001 posts) -

I'd say it was a tie between Halo 2 (which was actually pretty good, but was such a step down from Halo 1, particularly in the area of the infamous ending, that it may as well have been a kick in the junk) and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (which is one of the worst videogames I have ever played).

#250 Posted by BisonHero (6251 posts) -

My purchase of Guitar Hero World Tour fills me with regret and sadness. In my defense, enough of my friends had Rock Band that I could play it anytime I wanted basically, so I figured I would check out Guitar Hero's take on a full band game. It was disappointing.