#1 Posted by Trains (134 posts) -

Yup, what is the most disappointing game(s) you've played this generation?

Mine would have to be Mafia 2, it had a great story but content-wise everything was awful, no free roam, no replay value, everything resets in between chapters (clothes, car customisations, weapons) meaning there is no real purpose to buy anything hence money is completely useless so there was no reason to join the Mafia at all, no side missions, no mini-games or activities, vintage woman with saggy boobies and wrinkly asses on posters, and to top it off the game can be beaten in the better half of a day, in tradition it's hardly even a sandbox game.

The funny thing is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Mafia 2, it's not broken or buggy, it doesn't lack great AI physics, animations and realism in general, the graphics are great, the driving is great, the shooting is great and the cover system is great, all the core mechanics of the game were spot on, Mafia 2 is like a cake with absolutely no icing on it, but it's a rent for sure.

#2 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Nothing will ever meet my stupendous disappointment in Crysis 2. Sheer bitterness..

#3 Posted by laserbolts (5319 posts) -

Probably Assassins Creed 3. I expected so much better than what I got out of the game. For a game that apparently was in development for 3 years it's sad that it is the most buggiest out of the series. The story was pretty boring and I didn't give a shit about what was happening the whole time. Some of the side stuff they added wasnt interesting enough to bother with. It's weird when the game plays well and you do something cool it almost redeems it a bit but I was expecting GOTY out of AC3. I'm not even sure it would make my top 10 list. There might be something this gen that disappointed me more but AC3 is fresh in my mind and I can't think of a worse one.

#4 Edited by poser (396 posts) -

Every shooter since 2007.

What can I say?.... I'm bitter PC gamer. But really I feel as if the genre lost all steam when games became annualized and when devs stop prodiving mod support.

#5 Posted by Bane122 (786 posts) -

RE6. The amount of games I've been disappointed in is actually pretty small but that one easily takes the taco.

#6 Posted by Marcsman (3180 posts) -

LA Noire

#7 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

I hate to say it but ive tried on PC, and Xbox but it's Far Cry 2 for me. There is a lot of it i like, the gun battles and world, but i get bored with it more than any other game. That being said, everything i have seen for Far Cry 3 has me totally psyched.

#8 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4676 posts) -

Not much, I tend to keep my expectations in check. I guess Ninja Gaiden 3 takes the spot. I was not expecting it to be as good as as past NG games but I was shocked with how bad that game is.

Were you to ask worst sequels then i'd have a more plentiful list.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Far Cry 2 and the final act of Diablo 3. 

#10 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

Assassins Creed 3 for me.

i love the series mostly for the setting, I'm a huge history buff and getting to walk around all these beautiful old cities was a really awesome experience. So when they announced AC3 being in America i was a little weary but thought it could be done, but unfortunelty the world just was a huge let down.

#11 Posted by WarlockEngineerMoreDakka (432 posts) -

On PC, unquestionably Empire: Total War. When your game's 'Expert' AI is worse than Rome's NORMAL AI- you know something has gone horribly wrong. Thank goodness Shogun 2 redeemed the series and gives me some semblance of hope for Rome 2.

On Consoles... Lord of the Rings: Conquest would have to be the one that comes to mind. :(

#12 Posted by plaintomato (599 posts) -

TDU2, which I still love. And FFXIII, which I don't.

#13 Posted by Flappy (2198 posts) -

Dishonored does it for me. My expectations weren't exactly high going into the game, but damn... The thing really left me regretting my purchase.

#14 Posted by cmblasko (1193 posts) -

Brink. Bought it day 1 at full price. Worst purchase I've made in years.

#15 Posted by Rainbowkisses (472 posts) -

Just Cause 2. The demo made the game seem great. When I actually got the game I was let down by boring and frustrating missions, loads of unused space, and a poor checkpoint system.

#16 Posted by AlexW00d (6236 posts) -

@Marcsman said:

LA Noire

Yup.

#17 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

Definitely Empire Earth 3. Biggest franchise downfall you've ever witnessed.

#18 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2991 posts) -

syndicate, I don't understand jeff's opinion on that game really

#19 Posted by Trains (134 posts) -

@laserbolts said:

Probably Assassins Creed 3. I expected so much better than what I got out of the game. For a game that apparently was in development for 3 years it's sad that it is the most buggiest out of the series. The story was pretty boring and I didn't give a shit about what was happening the whole time. Some of the side stuff they added wasnt interesting enough to bother with. It's weird when the game plays well and you do something cool it almost redeems it a bit but I was expecting GOTY out of AC3. I'm not even sure it would make my top 10 list. There might be something this gen that disappointed me more but AC3 is fresh in my mind and I can't think of a worse one.

@zombie2011 said:

Assassins Creed 3 for me.

i love the series mostly for the setting, I'm a huge history buff and getting to walk around all these beautiful old cities was a really awesome experience. So when they announced AC3 being in America i was a little weary but thought it could be done, but unfortunelty the world just was a huge let down.

Interesting, it makes sense that Assassin's Creed 3 will disappoint since that game was hyped up to no end that even God was climbing the beanstalk, I have still yet to play it myself but like everyone else my expectations have been set to a really high standard due to all the hype so I might end up on the same train!

#20 Posted by aceofspudz (937 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

I came here to say this precise thing.

#21 Posted by spexeh (17 posts) -

My vote goes to Perfect Dark: Zero. I suppose my expectations for that game should have been lower, so I'll vote for Ninja Gaiden III as well.

#22 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

This thread again? My answer still hasn't changed: Homefront. Fuck that game and fuck those responsible for ensuring it was terrible.

#23 Posted by StealthRaptor (527 posts) -

I'll throw my hat in for L.A. Noire.

#24 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (224 posts) -
@cmblasko said:

Same here. Not sure what people are talking about in regards to LA Noire, I thought that was one of the most impressive games I've ever played, so good.
#25 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@VisariLoyalist said:

syndicate, I don't understand jeff's opinion on that game really

Same kind of impression for me. Syndicate seemed like it would be along the lines of something I would enjoy (I play Deus Ex like an action game a lot of the time, so Syndicate looked great), but the moment to moment action and level design seemed really poor. I think I made it 45 minutes in, but thats like 20% of the game so I think that is a reasonable thing to go by.

#26 Posted by TheWyotee93 (187 posts) -

Dragon Age 2. What a lazy game compared to the sheer quality of the first.

#27 Posted by Jolt92 (1551 posts) -

Fable 2. Fuck that game.

#28 Posted by Tobli (149 posts) -

Mass effect 3!

ME2 is one of my favorite games of the generation, and ME3 completely failed to live up to that.

#29 Edited by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Probably LA Noir for me.

EDIT: OWAIT! FUCKING DRAGONAGE POO! (I mean two)

#30 Posted by GunstarRed (5119 posts) -

Ratchet & Clank Future Tools of Destruction, It's not even bad, just really safe. I'm a huge Ratchet fan and I expected a lot more after what Insomniac had done with the PS2 games. There was all this talk of "Pixar quality graphics" and how it was a game only possible on the PS3...hah.

#31 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

Mirror's Edge

As much as I love that game it did not live up to the potential I thought it had.

Lost In Shadows

I really like the look and idea of that game but the controls were really, really bad.

Skyward Sword

This could be the worst Zelda I've played. It is poorly paced and the motion controls only worked half the time. It isn't on-fire terrible it's just a boring, average action-adventure game and, to me, that is a huge step back for Zelda.

#32 Posted by graboids (210 posts) -

Crackdown 2 comes to mind for me.

#33 Posted by Sodacake (15 posts) -

Most definitely Uncharted 3.

#34 Posted by Unequivocable (217 posts) -

The first Borderlands. On paper I should love that game more than life itself as it has every single thing I love in a game, but I've tried time and time again to get into it and it's always kind of boring and bland. I'm not disappointed in the game as much as my inability to enjoy it.

#35 Posted by sixpin (1287 posts) -

Mass Effect 3, but I'd say Uncharted 3 is a close second.

#36 Posted by Toxin066 (3280 posts) -

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II. The combat and controls were so wonky. I had such high hopes for a game based around abusing people with force powers and lightsabers.

#37 Edited by BisonHero (6446 posts) -

Super Paper Mario was just boring throughout, and was a pretty big letdown. I wrote half a blog about it recently.

Edit: Also, Puzzle Quest 2 was COMPLETE garbage compared to the first game. It has perhaps the worst art I have ever seen in a video game, the gameplay was mildly improved, but all of the equipment is boring and similar now, and the game was incredibly tedious and they didn't even try to include much of a story.

#38 Posted by Ares42 (2623 posts) -

Fable 3. Had only played some Fable 2 before and it seemed fun, but Fable 3 really had no interesting gameplay and was just disappointing all-round when it came to story, UI etc. Although I guess it was sorta on me thinking Molyneux could actually make an interesting game.

#39 Posted by The_Ruiner (1042 posts) -

Mass Effect 3

#40 Posted by AndrewBeardsley (371 posts) -

Fable 3

#41 Posted by BisonHero (6446 posts) -

@Toxin066 said:

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II. The combat and controls were so wonky. I had such high hopes for a game based around abusing people with force powers and lightsabers.

You'll always have Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight II.

#42 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

This thread again? My answer still hasn't changed: Homefront. Fuck that game and fuck those responsible for ensuring it was terrible.

I still feel bad for never beating that...I should go back and beat Homefront.

#43 Posted by BisonHero (6446 posts) -

@Unequivocable said:

The first Borderlands. On paper I should love that game more than life itself as it has every single thing I love in a game, but I've tried time and time again to get into it and it's always kind of boring and bland. I'm not disappointed in the game as much as my inability to enjoy it.

No, that's the correct response. The main game was incredibly bland and just full of boring, samey desert until the final like 40 minutes of the game. And the quests themselves were all pretty dull and uninteresting. The DLC was actually leagues better than the main game, as it felt like it was made by someone who actually has some creativity when it comes to environment and enemy design; ironic, since apparently Gearbox was only partially involved in their creation.

#44 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Diablo 3. Mostly because of my unrealistic expectations.

#45 Posted by RecSpec (3803 posts) -

Disc would probably be Lollipop Chainsaw 
Downloadable would have to be Galactrix. Fuck that game.

#46 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

...it was between Assassin's Creed: Revelations, Dead Rising 2, or Metal Gear Solid 4.

The only reason it isn't MGS4 is because I was fanatical enough to enjoy most of the completely ludicrous and stupid ride that game took me on, despite really not enjoying a single cutscene or gameplay sequence until Act 3's finale for anything more than nostalgic reasons. But the end of that game, the "summary" of everything that had happened that retconned the entire fiction, that pretty much killed MGS in my heart for years.

Still, that's only hard competition for the wordless fury I feel towards AC: Revelations or the absolute shock at the dearth of quality in DR2. I've definitely played worse games than those three this gen, but nothing disappointed me quite as badly.

#47 Posted by Solh0und (1765 posts) -

@cmblasko said:

Brink for sure and this is coming from a guy that loved Wolfenstien:ET

#48 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -
#49 Posted by gamefreak9 (2358 posts) -

My favorite game for xbox was Ninja Gaiden. So its disappointing that I did not enjoy 2 and 3.

#50 Posted by BisonHero (6446 posts) -

@RecSpec said:

Disc would probably be Lollipop Chainsaw Downloadable would have to be Galactrix. Fuck that game.

Oh fuck, that reminds me, No More Heroes 2 completely ruined everything that was good about the first game. The gameplay had SLIGHTLY more variety, but the new bosses were almost all terrible, and instead of fucking with you constantly like the first game, it's barely even a satire and isn't very funny and doesn't have much of a point.