Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By hippie_genocide

For me, probably Brutal Legend. The setting was interesting, but I found the gameplay really bland. I didn't like the rts-lite battles at all. Blue Dragon was pretty boring too.

kermoosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By kermoosh

i don't buy many games, but i'd give the award to medal of honor: airborne. boring missions, no story

also i only played the demo but too human seems like a good fit as well

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By FrankieSpankie

@bartok said:

Anyone bring up Brutal Legend yet? I was sold on the idea of a Heavy Metal Zelda but got a shitty RTS/Action game that all the Tim Schaffer charm in the world couldn't save.

@Chavtheworld said:

I took a chance on Sniper Ghost Warrior as it had potential, but nope.

I have to agree with these two, especially Brutal Legend. I also wanted a Heavy Metal Zelda game and stopped right at the RTS part where I thought the game was just horrible. Sniper Elite V2 also left me really disappointed too to add to the sniper theme. I had just finished the original about a month before the second came out and was really excited and ended up buying it early. The whole thing was about 2/3 as long, the stealth just wasn't there, they forced you into shootouts, etc.

As far as AAA titles, the whole Assassin's Creed series (I loved the first couple hours of the 1st and then muscled through it, excitedly I got the 2nd hearing how improved it was and felt it was even worse) and Bioshock 2. Also Fallout 3 because of the terrible gunplay in it. I did buy it for PC too hoping it'd do better as a PC game but haven't given it another chance yet. After Fallout 3 though, I stopped going after most AAA titles unless it was for a series I love like Deus Ex or Portal. Only AAA game that I took a chance on that I'm actually glad I did was Dishonored...

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Far Cry 2 probably

Moosey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Moosey

@aceofspudz said:

@cmblasko said:

Brink. Bought it day 1 at full price. Worst purchase I've made in years.

I came here to say this precise thing.

I have to agree on this but~ another game would be, Need for Speed Most Wanted. Recently, it was my childhood game. It kinda doesn't give the sweet nostalgia taste i had when i was a kid. :/

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By excast

An RPG called Two Worlds 2.  I had heard decent things about it, but I've never been able to get more than about an hour into it.  The interface was just so bad and the battle system so clunky.

Moosey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By Moosey

@Excast: I stopped playing that game after a few quest. It feels so robotic. There aren't much fluid movement in the storyline and the gameplay.

Avatar image for a_talking_donkey
A_Talking_Donkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thabigred said:

@bartok said:

Anyone bring up Brutal Legend yet? I was sold on the idea of a Heavy Metal Zelda but got a shitty RTS/Action game that all the Tim Schaffer charm in the world couldn't save.

I respectfully disagree sir. Brutal Legend was the best console RTS to date. The only thing busted about that game was the multiplayer.

Considering the single player was basically an extended tutorial for the multiplayer that says a lot. Also yeah, Brutal Legend disappointed me for a different reason than most people, I knew I was getting "a good console RTS" but it's still a really bad RTS.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Jack268

Oblivion

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#161  Edited By evanbower

Dragon Age 2. Metroid: Other M a close second.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#162  Edited By fattony12000

One that sticks in my craw, for the Xbox 360 anyway...

No Caption Provided
LastNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#163  Edited By LastNinja

@Sparky_Buzzsaw said:

I'm also going to list Metal Gear Solid 4 - but not because it was a bad game. I loved what I could play of it, but I was disappointed to find that because of problems with an early level's visuals, I couldn't finish the game. It was a big letdown, especially since I had just bought a PS3 mostly for that game.

Could you elaborate on that?

For me I don't know... Mercenaries 2.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#164  Edited By WightnNerdy

Fable III, RAGE, LA Noire, Darksiders II.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#165  Edited By ajamafalous
@Trains said:

Yup, what is the most disappointing game(s) you've played this generation?

Mine would have to be Mafia 2, it had a great story but content-wise everything was awful, no free roam, no replay value, everything resets in between chapters (clothes, car customisations, weapons) meaning there is no real purpose to buy anything hence money is completely useless so there was no reason to join the Mafia at all, no side missions, no mini-games or activities, vintage woman with saggy boobies and wrinkly asses on posters, and to top it off the game can be beaten in the better half of a day, in tradition it's hardly even a sandbox game.

The funny thing is, there is absolutely nothing wrong with Mafia 2, it's not broken or buggy, it doesn't lack great AI physics, animations and realism in general, the graphics are great, the driving is great, the shooting is great and the cover system is great, all the core mechanics of the game were spot on, Mafia 2 is like a cake with absolutely no icing on it, but it's a rent for sure.

Mafia II was one of the better games I played that year. I guess I can see why you'd be disappointed if you went into it wanting an open world sandbox, but that's just not what that game is about.

Some of mine:
Mass Effect 2
Diablo III
etc. (can't remember the other games I always throw into these threads)
sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#166  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

@LastNinja: Sure. There's a mission (I believe it's the second or third one, though it's been a while since I've played the game and I'm not certain) wherein you follow a civilian and have to take out soldiers quietly. It requires stealth. I'm both legally blind and have color blindness. The mission was extraordinarily difficult for me, to the point where I couldn't finish it even with all the various tech and gear at my disposal. Sometimes it happens. I was particularly disappointed in this case because I love the Metal Gear series, and wasn't able to play the fourth one to completion. There are other games that I haven't been able to finish for similar reasons (right off the top of my head, I'm thinking of World at War and the more recent adventure game The Next Big Thing), but I wasn't as excited for (and therefore not as disappointed by) their release.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167  Edited By donkeycow

Dragon Age 2.... I fucking loved Origins so much and then they ruined it :(

joemarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By joemarch

Fable 3

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By hippie_genocide

@Fattony12000: Yes, PDZ was indeed a flaming turd of epic proportions. I never had a N64 so I didn't have a nostalgia boner for the franchise, so maybe that's why I didn't find it to be any more than a garden variety bad game.

Also, "best RTS on console" is a backhanded compliment if there ever was one. It's like saying brightest kid in special ed or something.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Max Payne 3. Sorry Rockstar, I love you but I am disappoint.

Brutal Legend as well, SO MUCH POTENTIAL! All wasted on poorly done RTS sections.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The new Riddick. I loved Riddick as a character and the demo for that game was so awesome. I bought it on release day and then hated it after like 2 and a half hours of playing it.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#172  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Resident Evil 6 is probably the most disappointing game I've ever played, period. Thinking about now still gets me fuming at the thought of one of my favorite series turning to complete and utter fucking trash like that.

I would also like to reciprocate the feelings on Brink. I was super pumped for that before it came out, and man...what a huge let down. Splash Damage ensured that every single thing that it would take to fuck up a game like that was in there. 
Darksiders 2 and Rage are surely up there, as well. 

I would also kind of say that Mass Effect 2, and as a result, 3, were disappointing. I still think they're great games, but I remember finishing the first one and thinking about what great potential the rest of the series has if they clean up a few of the systems. The sequels squandered all that promise and really did not deliver the way they should have.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Civ 4

I still like the game but compared to Civ 3. I just prefer the third a lot. I could never get into the fourth as much as I hoped. I wish it was more like the third...

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By uhtaree

I was disappointed with myself that I didn't enjoy Skyrim more, even though I understand why people love it, having been into Oblivion as much as I was. As far as an actual game letting me down, I have to say Borderlands. When I first heard about that game it was shortly after Oblivion and there was a lot of "Oblivion with guns" talk circling around. The reality of that game: the corny jokes, the cell-shaded artstyle, the depressing landscapes, Claptrap, the bad PC port and the lack of any loot lust I got all added up to huge letdown.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By notdavid

Final Fantasy XIII. I still think it has the best battle system of the series, but I go to that series for the exploration. FFXIII's primary goal seemed to be removing all exploration aspects from the gameplay. It's like they actually tried to make a worse game.

nasseh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By nasseh

Weird that L.A Noire has been cited a few times. I'd have to agree though, maybe not most disappointing this gen, but of the recent games I've played I was very disappointed. Maybe I'm just thick, but I found the core mechanic of interrogation to be obtuse, and incredibly frustrating.

FoolishChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By FoolishChaos

Dragon Age 2 by a long shot.

That game broke my heart. I wanted to love it so bad :(

procrasturbate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By procrasturbate

Bionic Commando. F*ck that shit. Even if Mike Patton was involved at some capacity, didn't get far.

A friend of mine loaned me a copy of Mafia 2 for the ps3 and i couldn't get into it.

Avatar image for vegetable_side_dish
Vegetable_Side_Dish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Marcsman said:

LA Noire

Bam!
BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#180  Edited By BombKareshi

Starcraft II single player. I've chickened out of the multiplayer.

A close tie is Diablo 3, though I still enjoy playing it.

Too bad for Blizzard.

Zuldim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181  Edited By Zuldim

Spore. I was excited, I thought it looked interesting and unique, I even got hyped.

What I got was an unfinished product that EA wanted me to dole out money to fix. The standalone game was shallower than a kiddie pool.

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By agentboolen

@Trains: I personally wouldn't put Mafia 2 in this list I actually enjoyed it very much... Especially since i bought it for $5 on clearence at Target (PS3 version only). Its the perfect game if you find free roaming games can take too much time to play through and can become boring. It might not have been very open ended but what it did was done well IMO.... And some guys might prefer a little sag to a womens breast, it makes them look more real and less plasticy.

I would have to nominate Sonic the Hedgehog, what a unfinished pile of crap. For the 3d Dreamcast games I mostly enjoyed them even though they weren't as good as the 2d games but when I played this game I was amazed at how.... unfinished it truly was. Play 15 minutes of this game and you'll now exactly what I'm saying. What amazes me even more is Microsoft actually made it apart of the Platinum Hits collection. This games deserves nothing but hate pointed at it and represents everything that is wrong with Sega these days. Sega should be embarrassed to put out such a bad product, for this generation of games this was truly the worst game to come out. Nothing is more disappointing then to realize that you bought a game that wasn't properly game tested and in no way can be completed with out totally torturing yourself with puting yourself through such broken game mechanics. IMO this game is an unplayable mess.

sir_lizardman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By sir_lizardman

Other than DA2 my biggest disappointment of this generation was Skyrim. I played oblivion to death but I just could not get into skyrim.

Disconnect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Disconnect

@thabigred said:

The Dragon Age series.

Ditto. I thought the first game was serviceable but still somewhat of a disappointment compared to the infinity engine RPGs. Told myself that hey, maybe they'll pull a ME2 with the sequel and find a way to make it great. Then DA2 actually came out.

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#185  Edited By Atlas

I don't play a lot of "bad" games as I'm pretty selective in my purchases. However, if you told me after Dragon Age: Origins, one of my favourite games of this gen, that more than a year after Dragon Age II's release I still won't have beaten it, I'd scoff derisively at you.

And yet here we are.

IntoTheN1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By IntoTheN1ght

Diablo 3 is a mess, a huge mess

As for consoles, it would have to be GTA4. It is nowhere near as fun as Vice City and San Andreas were/are.

Mind you Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword and Other M are worse games than GTA4, but i never had major expectations for them.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

The single most depressing purchase I've made this console generation would be probably up for debate. Despite trying to remain in the know, I still make dumb purchases.

Borderlands 2, while being a 'better' version of the first game in so many ways, just was too similar and drained my interest in the series before I even finished the game one time through. Dragon Age: Origins was a poor purchase for me at the time due to only having a PS3, but I still think the rote storytelling and absolutely uninteresting characters would be bad even if I replayed it 'properly' on my PC. I actually prefer DA2 in many ways over the first game, but I still think that series is mediocre at best.

Then again, Puzzle Agent 2 was sorely lacking in comparison to the first game. I still liked it, but that first game was so fucking perfect that PA2's lacking aspects were just that much more annoying.

EDIT: Looking through the thread for any reminders, I found the fucking winner. Kingdoms of Amalur was something I was so hyped for - the demo played so well, the concepts like Roman gnomes and Fate ghosts were weird in the right ways, and it looked fluid and colorful. The full game was so chock full of noise and MMO-lite design that it left me severely wanting, not to mention the sickening length.

EnduranceFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By EnduranceFun

This generation in general has been a disappointment. It may just be I'm getting older, but no games have truly resonated with me like they did in the past.

The worst is hard to say. Mass Effect 3 killed my interest in that series, the story was forced and obvious, new characters were scarce, it failed to wrap up loose ends in a remotely satisfying way. Uncharted 3 was a similar deal only not quite as painful. I loved Uncharted 2 but something just didn't sit right playing that game, like the soul of the games had been sucked into oblivion.

Those two have, however, already been said. Army of Two was uniquely disappointing, in that my friends and I were hyped to play it, when we did it was a harrowing experience. I got Brutal Legend for my birthday, was shocked by how unplayable was the first RTS section. Just about every initial Wii game was horrendous; Red Steel, Umbrella Chronicles. Twilight Princess, I could not get past the third or fourth dungeon because of boredom. This is the short list.

johnaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By johnaze

Assassins Creed 1 no doubt. Was just fustrated with the game from start till end, and it felt so repetitive. I never understood the positive reviews that came out for it at the time.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By UitDeToekomst

i'm going to jump on the Assassin's Creed III train, having just finished it the other day. The additions made to it (naval battles, crafting, trading) are all horrendous, the scaling down of the Guild stuff from Revelations is disappointing, and I didn't find a single thing about any of the main story missions to be enjoyable. AC games have always had their share of control and camera issues, but they seem to be magnified this time around resulting in extreme frustration. The most enjoyable parts of the game - collectibles and Homestead missions - are not only largely inaccessible (or at least impractical to pursue) for the first third of the game, but also seem to be largely inconsequential to the main character's progression (of which, by the way, there is very little), not to mention full of unfortunate glitches. And speaking of the main character, Connor is pretty lame and uninteresting when compared to Ezio and Altair. And man, this game is buggy as all get out. I am no huge fan of Revelations, but ACIII pales in comparison to even that lackluster entry in the series. I was expecting this game to challenge for the top spot in my GOTY considerations, but it will end up nowhere near my top ten... and that is with there still being quite a few top-tier games released this year that I haven't played (Journey, Fez, Walking Dead, Dishonored, Torchlight II, Halo 4, Forza Horizon... just to name a few).

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Sinusoidal

@johnaze said:

Assassins Creed 1 no doubt. Was just fustrated with the game from start till end, and it felt so repetitive. I never understood the positive reviews that came out for it at the time.

I just played through this for the first time a few months back and I completely agree. What a fucking slog! Do some boring mini-missions that range (not progress) in difficulty from mind-numbingly easy to controller breaking frustration to gather "intel" on your target that you just end up running up to and gutting before running away/fighting your way through a horde of guards anyway. Repeat X9, then defeat lame disappearing/kills you in one hit final boss. Barbarian's Creed more like it. Amirite amirite?

Took me a month to beat it because I just couldn't be bothered to play it that often.

galacticgravy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By galacticgravy

Saints Row: The Third

I'm sorry, but the guys here talked this game up so much about how crazy and fun it was and I fell for it. I really should have researched it more, so this one it totally my fault. I found the gameplay nothing special, and yes it was goofy, but I guess the insanity I cooked up in my head was way more crazy than what was in the game. They were like "THIS GAME IS SO CRAZY YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE IT." Not only did I believe it, but I was expecting it to be even more crazy I suppose. This isn't to say I hated it or anything. It was alright. I loved the "Holding Out for a Hero" ending part of the game, I thought that was funny.

mabber36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By mabber36

super mario galaxy

I thought it would be the best game ever, but it was more linear than super mario world, and had a crappy hub

not the type of 3D platformer I am into

natedawg_kz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#194  Edited By natedawg_kz

Mass Effect 3 by far and Brink

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By geirr

GTA4 and Dragon Age 2

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#196  Edited By Marz

Final Fantasy 14, mostly cuz i'm an MMO guy and this game was just bad and was high on my expectations.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Ghostiet

Mass Effect 3. Due to the leaks, I never had a lot of expectations towards this game plot-wise, but I still expected an extremely fun ride. What I got instead was a rushed game that kind of fell apart after Tuchanka, was filled with plot holes and messing with the already retconned lore and one of the most lackluster endings in video game history - the assault on Earth was weak as shit. I still enjoyed it, but man, ME1 and 2 were so much fun I could still find myself running through them now. I don't even want to try the DLC in ME3.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By phampire

resident evil 6 by far, I loved 4 I thought 5 was solid but 6 was simply underwhelming.

d0m3l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By d0m3l

Dragon Age 2 hands down. One the very few games i bought on release. made me so mad I have never finished it and went back to Origins to finish it once again.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#200  Edited By s10129107

LA Noire

I had such high hopes

didnt get through 3 missions