• 75 results
#1 Posted by Pdog (1 posts) -

I am looking for suggestions on a really dark game to play.

The sort of game where you begrudgingly press the continue button knowing the game is slightly eroding you morality.

So morally wrong, frighting, psychological etc

Basically the most disturbing / dark game the industry has produced ?

Any Ideas ?

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9976 posts) -

Sonic. He's a violent Luddite terrorist.

#3 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

If you're a FOX news reporter, you gotta tell me.

I haven't played every game ever created, but I'm pretty sure this one wins.

#4 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

The only one I can think of is Silent Hill 2. It's definitely disturbing, and considering who the main character is and what he did it's also pretty dark.

I'm not sure that's what you're looking for though, I guess GTA IV touches upon some really "dark" stuff and morally ambiguous choices as well but that game is hardly disturbing unless graphic fake violence upsets you.

Heavy Rain? Child murder and stuff. I feel like all of my suggestions here aren't traversing the "disturbing" and "dark" categories deeply enough to be of any use to you. Oh well, I tried!

#5 Posted by Gabriel (4063 posts) -

Rapelay

#6 Posted by cannonballBAM (603 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

Rapelay

Seriously, any game made by Illusion.

#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19356 posts) -

@Gabriel said:

Rapelay

Yeah, that's the first game that came to mind.

#8 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -
#9 Posted by Grimmy616 (401 posts) -

Rapelay is art, you guys.

#10 Posted by Metzo_Paino (318 posts) -

Do you want disturbing in an artistic way like the movie Vengeance? I think something could be gained from playing Manhunt in that regard, maybe not a tonne, but something.

Or do you stuff want that's messed up? Because that might be Rapelay.

#11 Posted by Darkraven (171 posts) -

Manhunt is a good title, you can also check out Amnesia: Dark Descent but thats more horror disturbing. Condemned Criminal Originis and Condemned 2 are also a bit disturbing... sorta like the movie Se7en but not quite.

#12 Posted by Canteu (2821 posts) -

Alice: Madness Returns.

That game is fucked up.

#13 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -
#14 Posted by EVO (3914 posts) -

Gotta be Manhunt.

#15 Posted by Harkat (1102 posts) -
#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3594 posts) -

Welll Silent Hill games (2 in particular) , Mad World

#17 Posted by Nilazz (613 posts) -

RapeLay

#18 Posted by kashif1 (1428 posts) -

If you don't wanna count h-game then the answer is probably manhunt, if you want to count h-game rapelay is not as bad as it gets.

#19 Posted by Mutley (300 posts) -

I always thought Heavy Rain was quite a dark game despite the major plot holes and the terrible voice acting.

But it does have very dark moments like child murder and self mutilation.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Fragile Dreams is pretty damn dark. Not in a "SO MUCH GORE AND BLOOD AND NNNNGGGHH" way, but more of a "wow, I want to kill myself" way.

#21 Posted by drag (1223 posts) -

majora's mask

#22 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -

I Have No Mouth and I Must to Scream.

Also does Rapelay actually have gameplay, ie: actual objectives?  I always thought it was more of a toy than anything else.

#23 Posted by mshaw006 (554 posts) -

Can't believe no one's mentioned Postal yet. Postal 2 for sure.

#24 Posted by AlexW00d (6283 posts) -
#25 Posted by N7 (3590 posts) -
#26 Posted by dungbootle (2458 posts) -

@Turambar said:

I Have No Mouth and I Must to Scream. Also does Rapelay actually have gameplay, ie: actual objectives? I always thought it was more of a toy than anything else.

Haven't played it myself, but I suspect the objective is to rape. And/or play.

#27 Posted by Jimi (1126 posts) -

Heavy Rain, saying why would spoil the plot but it's already been mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'm not sure if to count Amnesia: The Dark Descent, it was a truely terrifying experience and the story is actually pretty dark if you pay attention but fear != dark/disturbing.

I remember the original Max Payne disturbing young me, the scene at the start where he finds his wife and child.

Manhunt is the obvious answer, it never had a huge affect on me but it remains some of the most graphic violence in a video game.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R games have the most dark and oppressive atmosphere out of any game I have played, so maybe that counts?

#28 Posted by Demoskinos (14886 posts) -

All the H-games being listed I can't even take seriously in the context of being "dark" because I find them all so absurd and cartoonish that it kind of just devenomizes the whole thing for me to the point where I find it more funny than disturbing. Not sure I have much of an answer for this off the top of my head I would say actually Max Payne 3. And the reason why is because that game takes itself VERY seriously and the context of all the violence can actually be somewhat disturbing. A few deaths late in the game in particular really messed with me.

#29 Posted by Jeust (10680 posts) -
@Video_Game_King said:

Fragile Dreams is pretty damn dark. Not in a "SO MUCH GORE AND BLOOD AND NNNNGGGHH" way, but more of a "wow, I want to kill myself" way.

Does that speak more about the game or the player? ahah 

On topic, Silent Hill 2.
#30 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Jeust:

The game. It's hard to ask the question you're asking when the game turns a dictionary into an existential crisis.

#31 Posted by Zleunamme (669 posts) -

The My Little Pony games.

#32 Edited by Jeust (10680 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Jeust:

The game. It's hard to ask the question you're asking when the game turns a dictionary into an existential crisis.

Sounds sadistic! Whenever I'll buy a Wii I'll get it. ^^

#33 Posted by yoshimitz707 (2453 posts) -
@drag

majora's mask

Seconded. Though, it never really feels as if the game is corrupting you. More like you're fixing this twisted and fractured world.
#34 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

Saya no Uta has always really freaked me out.

Also, people in here thinking that RapeLay and Maiden Rape Assault is the worst that exists in terms of h-games have noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo idea.

#35 Posted by Icemael (6326 posts) -

There's probably some Japanese eroge where you dismember underage girls and then rape their mutilated bodies in various ways. That ought to be it.

#36 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5024 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

Saya no Uta has always really freaked me out.

Also; people in here thinking that RapeLay and Maiden Rape Assault is the worst that exists in terms of h-games have noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo idea.

I can confirm that.

#37 Edited by Snipper138 (341 posts) -

Kara no Shoujo is pretty messed up in terms of people getting brutally murdered and not having a good ending at all.

#38 Posted by Turambar (6790 posts) -
@dungbootle said:

@Turambar said:

I Have No Mouth and I Must to Scream. Also does Rapelay actually have gameplay, ie: actual objectives? I always thought it was more of a toy than anything else.

Haven't played it myself, but I suspect the objective is to rape. And/or play.

Of what little I've dabbled with it (amazon banned it, which warranted a cursory glance), it was basically just a sex simulator with no goals or anything.  Was actually really mundane.
#39 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3103 posts) -

@Canteu said:

Alice: Madness Returns.

That game is fucked up.

This, seriously. When the endgame is approaching and the characters are telling you to turn back, because once you learn the truth you might wish you never had? They were super fucking right. Still trying to forget the last few hours or so of that game.

#40 Posted by Little_Socrates (5677 posts) -

The Witcher 2's first act asks you which partial genocide you want to commit. So that's pretty dark, I think.

Most of the other choices have been covered.

#41 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I can vouch for this... I cried horrifingly constantly. It took me two weeks to recover beating the game... Not joking in the slightest.

#42 Posted by believer258 (11949 posts) -

@mshaw006 said:

Can't believe no one's mentioned Postal yet. Postal 2 for sure.

Yeah, this one. Postal 2 allows you to be a dick of your own free will. This means that you don't have to in order to progress with the game, but it does allow it.

#43 Posted by GunstarRed (5214 posts) -

Noby Noby Boy. You eat yourself and shit it out and then eat it again...forever.

#44 Posted by jonnyboy (2920 posts) -

I'd say Silent Hill: Shattered Memories for the Wii. you complete a psychological questionnaire at the beginning and throughout the game, which changes how the game presents itself and the people you meet and the places you go. They stress very clearly that the questions are personal, and that for the best experience you should answer them honestly.

Then I got the 'Drunk Arsehole Dad' ending. That felt great, thanks Konami.

#45 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

Condemned

#46 Posted by Vonocourt (2133 posts) -
#47 Posted by Example1013 (4834 posts) -

I'm sure there are a million gore/rape fetish visual novels and such that no one's ever heard about

#48 Posted by MocBucket62 (1234 posts) -

Spongebob Squarepants Operation Krabby Patty. Cutscene quality is pretty disturbing as hell you guys. 

... On a serious note, Heavy Rain and L.A. Noire were some of the darkest and most disturbing games I've played recently.
#49 Posted by dudeglove (7911 posts) -

LA Noire. Those faces gave me nightmares.

#50 Posted by dotxhideki (60 posts) -

Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I really want to keep playing that game, but my sanity won't let me.