• 89 results
#1 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -
#2 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

I know it's not a popular thing to say nowadays, but if we're talking about influencing the entire industry since it's release, then Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare is definitely one of the best and most obvious examples.

#3 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

Mario 64 is easily the most influential game of all time. Starcraft is a shitload more influential than WC3 but doesn't really impact outside of the RTS or RTS Jr. genres. CoD 4 is probably the most from this generation but if things go well that might pan out to be Dark Souls in the future.

#4 Posted by GiantLizardKing (415 posts) -

In the future, the answer to this question will be minecraft.

#5 Posted by xite (841 posts) -

Doom?

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (11854 posts) -

Colossal Cave Adventure?

#7 Posted by BIGJEFFREY (4971 posts) -

The Last Of Us

#8 Edited by GunstarRed (5126 posts) -

Doom.

#9 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

The original Resident Evil and Alone in the Dark have been influencing horror games to this day. They essentially created the genre of Survival horror.

#10 Posted by TobbRobb (4603 posts) -

Easily Doom right? Quake maybe.

#11 Posted by Zevvion (1863 posts) -

On a whole? Probably Doom (Wolfenstein if we're being honest). Every shooter still uses that frame work. Most first person-nonshooters also use much of that core concept.

But it's kinda hard to say I think. Also depends on the game and I don't think you have to go that far back to see influences. Modern Warfare obviously has tremendous influence. Skyrim did/does as well. So did Grand Theft Auto. Those are the games that come to mind immediately.

#12 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Mario 64 is easily the most influential game of all time.

What about Donkey Kong? That was one of the first games to tell a story. That was pretty damn big.

I'll also throw Adventure in there, since it let people know that games can have a beginning, middle, and end.

#13 Edited by Juzie (168 posts) -

Final Fantasy VII basically shaped the industry the way it is today.

#14 Posted by me3639 (1753 posts) -

There is only one true answer: Dungeons and Dragons.

#15 Edited by Random45 (1153 posts) -

There's a bunch of excellent games mentioned here!

While Starcraft was the first to bring out the 'Aeons of Strife' map, it wasn't until it went to Warcraft 3 and became DOTA that it really took off. That's definitely a good choice.

Mario 64 is also a good choice, since it's the first open-world 3D game that I can think of, and it still holds up even today.

CoD4 - another good choice, since that kick started this whole modern day FPS shooter phenomenon that we're still experiencing today.

Minecraft is definitely a contender for being this in the future, and I'd like to add 'Amnesia' to the mix as well, since I attribute Amnesia and Minecraft both to really kicking off the whole Youtube Let's Play trend that is still going full force today. Plus, there's a LOT of indie horror games that clearly take inspiration from Amnesia.

Edit: Oh, Doom, of course! Lots of good choices here.

#16 Posted by Aetheldod (3555 posts) -

...pong ^^

#17 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1178 posts) -

Tetris

#18 Edited by SomberOwl (655 posts) -

Another vote for CoD 4. It has influenced an entire generation of FPS games.

#19 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

Another game to have heavily influenced games, specifically in recent years, was Rogue. There's now an entire sub-genre thanks to it. If it wasn't immediately apparent, it's where we get the term Rogue-like from.

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@me3639 said:

There is only one true answer: Dungeons and Dragons.

Depends if we limit ourselves to video games or not.

#21 Edited by Carryboy (648 posts) -

Ocarina of time for 3d at least

#22 Edited by RazielCuts (2952 posts) -

Have you seen Titanfall?

#23 Posted by benspyda (2033 posts) -
  • COD4 as the the most influential online multiplayer shooter
  • Starcraft is probably the most influential RTS
  • WOW as the most influential MMO
  • I'm hoping Dark Souls becomes an influence on the action RPG genre
  • GTAIII really created the open world 3D driving game which got mimicked as much as COD4 did in the shooter space.

Obviously these games were all influenced by former games but I feel they were the ones that made the biggest impression in the industry.

#24 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -
@razielcuts said:

Have you seen Titanfall?

Hopefully it influences more games to have giant robots in the future.

#25 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@benspyda: Oh right GTA 3 is actually on par with Mario 64, pretty incredible that more people haven't mentioned it.

#26 Posted by RonGalaxy (3127 posts) -
#27 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@benspyda: Oh right GTA 3 is actually on par with Mario 64, pretty incredible that more people haven't mentioned it.

There are quite a few games people haven't mentioned. Half-Life 2 laid the groundwork for COD4, and while people have mentioned COD4, I don't think they've mentioned how it's made games more cinematic. More focus on its gameplay elements.

#28 Posted by Slag (4262 posts) -

Super Mario Bros.

Launched the entire console video game model (backdoored into stores and living rooms via R.O.B. the Robot as a toy) and relegitimized video games as a valid entertainment business after the ET debacle.

Really though this kind of question is impossible to answer. You could make similar arguments for probably a dozen different games (Pong is another that springs to mind) and be just as right.

#29 Edited by Nightriff (5025 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda - You can SAVE your game and come back to it, never been anything like that before

Super Mario 64 - 3D platformers and graphics changed forever, not my favorite N64 game but I respect what it did for the industry

Doom - Perfected what Wolfenstein did and led to the most successful genre in video games

Skyrim - I really think it is a game people will look back on as having a huge impact on the industry. This type of game was supposed to do well and have a niche audience, that is far from the case and was a massive success that says "You can make a nerdy ass game and people will buy it, you don't need to make a game to the lowest common denominator to sell."

#30 Posted by Nightriff (5025 posts) -

The original Resident Evil and Alone in the Dark have been influencing horror games to this day. They essentially created the genre of Survival horror.

Would you put Silent Hill into a category with those two?

#31 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5438 posts) -

@themanwithnoplan said:

Would you put Silent Hill into a category with those two?

Completely forgot about Silent hill. It definitely stands together with those two as being incredibly influential in it's respected genre.

#32 Edited by teaoverlord (176 posts) -

Spacewar.

#33 Posted by zombiepenguin9 (533 posts) -

The Legend of Zelda - You can SAVE your game and come back to it, never been anything like that before

Super Mario 64 - 3D platformers and graphics changed forever, not my favorite N64 game but I respect what it did for the industry

Doom - Perfected what Wolfenstein did and led to the most successful genre in video games

Skyrim - I really think it is a game people will look back on as having a huge impact on the industry. This type of game was supposed to do well and have a niche audience, that is far from the case and was a massive success that says "You can make a nerdy ass game and people will buy it, you don't need to make a game to the lowest common denominator to sell."

I think this is a pretty good list. I wouldn't have thought about Skyrim at first, but it's impact is definitely being felt in terms of the open world genre.

#34 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4202 posts) -

Halo.

#35 Edited by Dezztroy (789 posts) -

Doom, as others have mentioned.

Half-Life, first FPS that managed to have a good story component while also being an excellent shooter. Also one of the very few games to tell its story without relying on cutscenes. The player very rarely loses control, something games today still struggle with.

#36 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5353 posts) -

@video_game_king: Half Life 2 is a pretty good game but it's influence has been minimal, the original Half Life had a substantially greater impact though not as great as Doom's or COD 4. Halo 2 laid the groundwork for COD 4.

#37 Posted by Emoney244 (161 posts) -

Goldeneye.

#38 Edited by GERALTITUDE (3229 posts) -

I'll always remember Jeff saying that GTA3 coming out was like someone grabbing the wheel of gaming and saying Nah son, we're going this way now.

For me: Metal Gear Solid.

It was hands-down the most cinematic, mature and best written game ever made when it came out way back when. It popularized stealth, and its treatment of bosses is basically games 101 now. It also broached and dealt with the so-called ludonarrative dissonance a decade before we had that word, and called the player out for being a wanton murderer, again, a decade before anyone took the conversation seriously. It's still a darker video game than most.

edit: for current games I think FTL is a hugely influential game, and I would trace back our current Sci-Fi ship managment boom to it.

#39 Posted by ShakeSoda (32 posts) -

#40 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I'd say Gears of War for its cover mechanics and texture pop in popularity.

#41 Edited by benspyda (2033 posts) -

I feel like COD4's single player had a rather negative impact on the industry, in that it made so many games include a linear, completely scripted experience that got old real quick. Even Uncharted 3 couldn't recapture the thrill of 2 because it was an experience you could only have once. I enjoyed Avatar the first time I watched it but on re-watch it's incredibly tedious to sit through and I feel that way about the COD style campaign now. I feel like linear scripted games will gradually begin to disappear as people get completely sick of them. A bit like how the GTA style experience for me has completely run it's course.

@supamon: Yes RE4 and Gears certainly resulted in a lot of cover based shooters last gen.

#42 Posted by ChaosDent (234 posts) -

It's not a video game, but I would suggest Dungeons and Dragons due to the exhaustive list of mechanics and concepts that it innovated that have spread to nearly every kind of game:

• Games as narrative delivery vehicles
  • The currently accepted concept of a role playing game.
  • Character Classes
  • Character Levels and persistent progression
  • Loot and gear
#43 Posted by Demoskinos (14778 posts) -

Are we talking objectively or personally?

If were talking personally then Metal Gear Solid if were talking Objectively then I'd say Super Mario Brothers. Its pretty much the reason the video game industry came out of the crash and started to work its way into the mainstream eye again.

#44 Edited by i_Dead (45 posts) -

Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us, Wolfenstein 3D, Silent Hill, Gran Turismo.....

see someone mention CoD, you are fucking joking right. Thanks to CoD most games started chasing online play even tho the best experience is single player for those genres, example GTA V, they sacrificed so much from signature single player GTA for boring, broken, repetitive online. What else did CoD do, well annual shit releases that many devs jumped on.... What else, not much innovations year on year, but hell people want to pay 60 smackers for same game with new maps, what can one do except try to play deeper games to keep the industry alive :)

#45 Edited by Hone_McBone (137 posts) -

Chess.

#46 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@i_dead:

You do realize that the question was "most influential games yet", not "games you like the most"? Because I don't really see many of those games you listed as influential. How can you even list a game that came out last year?

#47 Posted by i_Dead (45 posts) -

@hone_mcbone: Hell no one would think of that haha awesome :D

#48 Posted by edsone (247 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: I find hard to imagine a future in which Dark Souls is the most influential game. Sure it's got popular and all lately but in many ways it's still a very niche game. It may (and I believe it will) influence developers but to a much less extend than say, the Elder Scrolls series regarding action rpgs.

#49 Edited by i_Dead (45 posts) -

@video_game_king: Yes Heavy Rain and The Last Of Us are influential in the way of story telling and gameplay innovations, only older game i played like that was Fahrenheit or Indigo Prophecy if you in US.

#50 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

@i_dead: Dont forget Uncharted 2 which was setting this new bar and how many game actually wanted to archive that.