Most overlooked thing of E3 thus far

Avatar image for deactivated-58efb53e06a03
deactivated-58efb53e06a03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Microsofts Games on Demand service. It's the same as installing a game on your HD, you just never have to put in the disc!
Starting in August, new games will be added every week starting with the big hit back catalogue titles such as Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassins Creed. Although you couldn't install games like Halo 3, Microsoft plans on fixing them so that they can be downloaded.

This is pretty awesome, and may just justify me going out and finally buying the retartedly overpriced 120gb HD.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Emilio

Yeah, but I'd like to play my disc games without my disc. :(

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Emilio said:
" Yeah, but I'd like to play my disc games without my disc. :( "
Then we'd have DRM, and you can ask company's like EA about how much people liked that.
Steven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Steven

I am stoked by this, I'm totally gonna buy up that old shit...I  hate discs and I love the laziness of switching games from my couch.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Hitchenson

I installed Halo 3 just fine... I still find Matchmaking games quickly, and get no problems due to the install. Anyway, I hope they don't JUST do old 360 titles, it would be cool if new titles were lauched on the system at the same time in the future.

Jerusahat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jerusahat

You can install Halo 3, but it makes load times longer. I wonder if they'll actually re-engineer it, or if they'll just hope nobody notices.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By penguindust
the retartedly overpriced 120gb HD.

That's what holds me back from having any type of excitement for that announcement.  It's akin to saying, "hey, Ferraris now come with a built in cup holder."  I'm not going to buy a Ferrari so now having an ability to use the cup holder has no impact on me.  The cheapest new XBox HDD I could find was $126.95.  I recently picked up a brand new terabyte external HDD for $99!  Tell me there isn't something wrong with that.
Evil_Eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Evil_Eye
@Hitchenson: I think that they're under a lot of pressure from traditional retailers which will probably hold this back.
banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By banksrob

I think what was overlooked is the instant 1080p streaming, how does this work??

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Gorillawhat:

DRM on a locked, static platform like a console is totally different from DRM on a PC. In that, DRM on a PC can negatively affect the user based on their hardware setup/preferences/replay desire etc. Whereas on 360 the game would just have to check that you own a copy of it, same as the XBLA games, and other stuff.
Malchom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Malchom
@The_A_Drain said:
" @Gorillawhat: DRM on a locked, static platform like a console is totally different from DRM on a PC. In that, DRM on a PC can negatively affect the user based on their hardware setup/preferences/replay desire etc. Whereas on 360 the game would just have to check that you own a copy of it, same as the XBLA games, and other stuff. "
^ agreed

It's not like you would want to change the medium often, Xbox 360 games will always stay on the Xbox 360 :P. And you still can bring your game to a friends house with your gamertag or the hard drive. Only issue is friendly trading of games, and every company likes the idea of people not beeing able to trade/resell games...
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax

Seems like an awesome feature, although I will have a bitch of a time convincing my mom that putting in her credit card number to the Xbox is safe.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By killdave

Its going to happen for all games in the future ... so why not start it now.

Can't stop it, only delay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jerusahat said:
" You can install Halo 3, but it makes load times longer. I wonder if they'll actually re-engineer it, or if they'll just hope nobody notices. "
According to Kotaku, their looking into re-engineering it. No surprise seeing as it's their biggest game to date.

@The_A_Drain said:
" @Gorillawhat: DRM on a locked, static platform like a console is totally different from DRM on a PC. In that, DRM on a PC can negatively affect the user based on their hardware setup/preferences/replay desire etc. Whereas on 360 the game would just have to check that you own a copy of it, same as the XBLA games, and other stuff. "
Wait, so you're saying it's possible that I put (insert game name here) into my 360, it installs, I don't have to put the disk in again to play it, but It only works on my account, I can't bring my disk over to my friends house and install it, we can only play it straight of the disk?
Obviously that isn't what is happening, but thats what you mean right? And it's not DRM.
Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Pie

Its nothing new though. Sony have been doing it for awhile so its just been overlooked i guees

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By The_A_Drain

@Gorillawhat:

Uhhh, no, that's not what I mean at all.

I meant that with a console tied to an account, it's much easier (and less intrusive) to setup limitations than it is on a PC. My point was that any kind of DRM present on a console will never be as intrusive and anti-consumer as a PC due to the fact the entire macine can be tied to an account and monitored much more easily.

And yeah, it is DRM, DRM is a very broad term "Digital Rights Management" any and all methods used to prevent illegal access to software/digital content can be branded DRM.

I did misread your original post and in my haste, assumed it was to do with full downloadable games. You were right, currently it would not be possible (not even with some weirdo brand of DRM, as there is no way of differentiating one copy of a game from another) but if they had set out to allow this, it would easily be possible to do that. You have a unique code printed to a location on the disc, then verify it against the network to see if the code is currently installed on someones machine. Then you simply set only XBL enabled machines to be able to use this feature, and require the machine to connect to the internet to do it. That would tie it to your account.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By Shadow

Still having a 20-gig hard drive, memory is a treasured commodity and I can't devote almost half that space to a single game.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Gizmo

Valve should just team up with MS and put Steam on the Xbox.

IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN THOUGH.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By daniel_beck_90

Sounds interesting !

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#20  Edited By AgentJ

Since I have a 20 gig hard drive, this would fill things up far too quickly for me. Until memory is much cheaper this ability may as well stay in the future. Of course, im sure people with Elites love this

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By skrutop
@Gizmo said:
" Valve should just team up with MS and put Steam on the Xbox.IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN THOUGH. "
You're right, it won't happen, but that is a fantastic idea.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By keyhunter
@Gorillawhat said:
" Microsofts Games on Demand service. It's the same as installing a game on your HD, you just never have to put in the disc!Starting in August, new games will be added every week starting with the big hit back catalogue titles such as Mass Effect, Bioshock, Assassins Creed. Although you couldn't install games like Halo 3, Microsoft plans on fixing them so that they can be downloaded.This is pretty awesome, and may just justify me going out and finally buying the retartedly overpriced 120gb HD. "
You can circumvent the price of that overpriced peice of shit by making your own.
SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#23  Edited By SunKing

It's all about price. Will downloadable titles be cheaper than buying a physical copy at retail? The answer, most probably, is no. Will games that are downloaded onto my Xbox 360 come with a disk, manual and case? No. Will I be able to trade my downloaded games or resell them on Ebay? Probably, No.

The only thing going for digital distribution so far is conveniance. Price is more important to me.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#24  Edited By TobyD81

Longevity is important to me as well. Nobody has yet been able to commit to their downloadable content being available in the next system generation, whenever that happens.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Let's see.  We're going to undoubtly get a new console a couple years (this gen is going to be longer than last--> we would've been hearing about new ones by now) 
       so therefore, obviously , I want to keep my disks so I can play it on that. 

SunKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#26  Edited By SunKing
@TobyD81 said:
" Longevity is important to me as well. Nobody has yet been able to commit to their downloadable content being available in the next system generation, whenever that happens. "
And this.
DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By DarkGamerOO7

Can't say I'm a fan. I really don't like Digital Distribution and yes I've bought a few arcade games and some content from the Xbox Live Marketplace but if I'm going to drop $60 on a game, I want the disk so I can play it a friends house, trade it in later, borrow it out to friends and in the case my account gets stolen or what ever, I still have my games.

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Guardian
@Pie said:
" Its nothing new though. Sony have been doing it for awhile so its just been overlooked i guees "
Yeah they have. But I hope they do more. 
jdownes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jdownes
@banksrob said:
" I think what was overlooked is the instant 1080p streaming, how does this work?? "

It works by requiring an 8Mb+ connection.

@Gizmo said:
" Valve should just team up with MS and put Steam on the Xbox.IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN THOUGH. "

That makes no sense.  MS already has their own digital distribution via XBL.  Why would they want to unnecessarily split their profits?
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By skrutop
@SmugDarkLoser said:
" Let's see.  We're going to undoubtly get a new console a couple years (this gen is going to be longer than last--> we would've been hearing about new ones by now)        so therefore, obviously , I want to keep my disks so I can play it on that.  "
Why wouldn't downloaded games be playable on the new console as well?  The Xbox Originals work just fine on the 360.
Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Matt_
@DarkGamerOO7 said:
"Can't say I'm a fan. I really don't like Digital Distribution and yes I've bought a few arcade games and some content from the Xbox Live Marketplace but if I'm going to drop $60 on a game, I want the disk so I can play it a friends house, trade it in later, borrow it out to friends and in the case my account gets stolen or what ever, I still have my games. "
I agree with this post. I think if you could buy the game in store and get a digital copy like DVDs and Blu-Rays are doing that would be neat. Personally though I need to have my library of game boxes. I just love having that huge collection to show off.
get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By get2sammyb

Are we allowed to say the things we thought got overlooked - because for me that was Uncharted 2. Call me biased on the franchise (I absolutely am) but I think that demo they showed during Sony's E3 conference was just mind-bogglingly amazing and I've barely heard anyone mention it since.

So for me, that's my thing that got overlooked.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33  Edited By Seppli
SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By SpinCookie

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want Sony to introduce PS2 backwards compatibility for all PS3s, that would be amazing.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By Ineedaname

Demon's souls was pretty over looked it'd be nice to see that game become popular.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By Jensonb

Wanna know why nobody cares?

We all have 20GB drives.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Al3xand3r

Most overlooking thing? I mentioned my game choice already in another thread (The Crystal Bearers) but for a "thing" I'll go with the Motion Plus. Even resident Wii haters Destructoid absolutelly love it and believe it all works as intended based on their hands-on. Yet few seem to have bothered experiencing it in-depth. Wtf? It's technology you can get your hands on next week, as opposed to some vague time frame of 2010!