Most overly difficult game section you've played?

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#151  Edited By me3639

@TheVeteran13 said:

I'm usually able to beat Call of Duty games on veteran difficulty but I quit Black Ops on the second or third level, which ever one you blew the missile up in and had the bunker and infinitely respawning enemies running down narrow hallways, fuck that level.

I was reading the guy above your post and while the WAW Reich level is a MF'er, this one^^^ i finally just said enough.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#152  Edited By Wacomole

For me, I'd have to say Killzone 2 - the final room on Elite difficulty.

Even after playing through the game on all the other difficulty levels beforehand, nothing prepares you for how difficult they make that last room on Elite.

Eff that trophy!

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Legion_

In recent mind... AC3's last chase sequence certainly comes to mind.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#154  Edited By skrutop

@frankfartmouth said:

@skrutop said:

In Ninja Spirit for the TG-16 there was a segment where you jump off a cliff and have to avoid hundreds of one shot kill ninjas. Total bullshit; I could never get past it.

Goddamnit that's right. I remember that shit. You have no idea where they are as you're falling, and you just have to keep doing it over and over again until you can memorize their locations. It gets totally ridiculous near the end though. I did end up getting past it, but it was mostly luck. Then you have to fight a boss battle immediately afterwards. Excruciating.

Later, I found out that there's a safe spot near the left wall. Unfortunately, there wasn't a gamefaqs in the 80s.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#155  Edited By Hizang

Castlevania Lament of Innocence had a beast of an ending, you defeated one hard boss to then have to fight a second boss straight after. If you died you would have to start on the first boss again.

sir_gunblade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#156  Edited By sir_gunblade
  • I had a really tough time with the last boss on hard in Dead Space 2. I just didn't have the right weapons with me.
  • Battletoads for the NES - Volkmire's Inferno.
  • Iron Sword Wizards and Warriors 2. Got to the final level.

Curse the days before saved games.

Hungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By Hungry

@GetEveryone said:

After the first section of the Black Tower in Darksiders (on Apocalyptic), there's a fight on a balcony with ~5 or 6 waves of enemies.

Took me a good couple of months to eventually muster up the energy to get past it. Absolutely abused wrath gimmicks, stoneskin and the ground pound move.

Tactical use of War's chaos form is necessary to even stand a chance of getting through. The rest of the game was a fucking breeze compared to that.

I actually restricted myself from using either Chaos or Wrath in Apocalyptic to make Darksiders even a little challenging. Two words: Harpoon Tackle. Harpoon Tackle. Harpoon Tackle. Harpoon. Tackle.

For some reason I feel like maybe Dark Souls should be credited here, but the title is "overly difficult" and I don't really think any fight in Dark Souls is too hard.

However, there are plenty of Shin Megami Tensei bosses that are fairly bullshit. The last day in Devil Survivor is beyond ridiculous, and the end boss in Strange Journey is just unfair. The entire game you are encouraged to use a party of demons with your alignment, and the boss has an ability that unsummons all demons of one random alignment. Not to mention you have to build your main character (through a nebulous personality test) in such a way to be anything other than useless. I found out that my stats were completely counter-productive to doing anything other than throwing items for damage, and those things were not cheap.

Also, Nyx Avatar on Maniac(with no direct control)/Hard in Persona 3 are pretty ridiculous simply because if you lose near the end you have a good, long 45-60 minute fight to redo. I had an Odin with 99 in every stat AND Gungnir so my Thunder Reigns were doing thousands of damage and it still took forever to beat that boss. Shoutout goes to the secret boss in Persona 3, since it is pretty ridiculous without Armageddon spam.

Damn all of those games are great though.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By superfriend

I just hate badly designed boss battles. You know, the ones that make you replay 2 really easy sections and then the 3 stage of the boss fight kicks your ass all the time..

The bosses of Outland come to mind. Really bad design on some of those. They even make you wait for animations to finish before you can fight them again. Shit sucks.

Edit: I guess most of these aren´t really difficult, just so damn bad.

FilipHolm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#159  Edited By FilipHolm

The first thing that came To My mind when I saw the title of The thread was, like you, deck 2 of The star forge... Nothing compares to it.... Nothing.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#160  Edited By SMTDante89

Might not be the most difficult, but it's the one I remember most vividly.

There's a mission in Jak 2 where you are at the very end of the flooded slum area and a bunch of the guards in the game ambush you, and so you have to fight through a bunch of them with little or no health pick-ups and no vehicles to get you out of there fast. Back then it was frustrating enough that I quit the game for months, but I was determined to finish it before Jak 3 came out, so I kept trying until I finally got through it, was pretty happy about that accomplishment back in the day.

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161  Edited By Grelik

For me, I'd have to say the part in god of war 1? (2?). Where you have to climb a significant number of rotating pillars with spikes on them. Every time you get hit you fall all the way down. I lost my shit.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#162  Edited By NMC2008

Probably Ghost N Goblins for straight difficulty, but control wise, Karate Champ by a large margin, I mean what the fuck am I doing and how did I do it, why am I facing the wrong direction? -_-

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Boss in MGS3 on Hard.

LarcenousLaugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#164  Edited By LarcenousLaugh

@Pr1mus: Those, and the parts at the end where Drake is hallucinating and fighting off the Djinn warriors that can teleport and refuse to engage in melee.

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#165  Edited By BoG

Zone of the Enders 2, the part that I got to which prevented me from ever finishing the game. It probably would have been one of my alll time favorites, but I can't progress. I usually go back to the game once a year, and fail. Stupid game.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HH said:

the one that jumps to mind is the end of the Golems of Whatever dlc (i think) for Dragon Age Origins, where these zombie guys turn up with waaaay more hit points than anything else you've met before, and they chase you around a locked room and kill you repeatedly until you figure out the glitch spot or you win by sheer patience and attrition. i think i remember that because it felt like such a bullshit difficulty spike for the sake of ending the content.

DA:O brings some pretty good one actually. Most of the high dragons were a huge fucking pain. You constantly had to be pausing the game, managing potions, re positioning, getting one attack in, reviving, healing basically a mini 4-man raid except you control all characters. Also Gaxkang the Unbound was brutally tough mainly because the room you fight him in is basically a fucking closet.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#167  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Grelik said:

For me, I'd have to say the part in god of war 1? (2?). Where you have to climb a significant number of rotating pillars with spikes on them. Every time you get hit you fall all the way down. I lost my shit.

For sure the worst part of the first GOW.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By jadegl

@beeftothetaco: YES! That was ridiculous. That turret sequence in Dead Space made me kind of hate that game for a while.

embryonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By embryonic

That fucking giant, spiky spinning kebab grill in the first God of War.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@LarcenousLaugh: The game gives you great weapons to deal with the Djinns quickly on any difficulty (though the one checkpoint with 4 at once is a crapshoot until you get a few down).

Reddy1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#171  Edited By Reddy1124

Bringing down the Star Destroyer in the original Force Unleashed. I'm convinced that part of the game was either glitched or straight up broken...

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172  Edited By The_Nubster

@Reddy1124 said:

Bringing down the Star Destroyer in the original Force Unleashed. I'm convinced that part of the game was either glitched or straight up broken...

I was able to do it easily on subsequent playthroughs, but it was some straight-up horseshit the first time. The key is to position the Star Destroyer properly (so the analog stick prompts light up green) and then start jumping around like a fool and using Force Lightning to destroy the TIE Fighters. Once they're all dealt with, you can work on bringing the Destroyer down bit by bit, repeating the jump-and-lightning spam whenever a new wave of TIE Fighters spawns. It takes a while and it's tedious as shit, but it's doable once you get the pattern down. I wish they had just made it a QTE where you held the analog sticks down until it dropped.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By joshthebear

The entirety of Hell in the first God of War.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#174  Edited By StarvingGamer

Mmm, possibly soloing White Fatalis in MHF2.

sevenLiter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175  Edited By sevenLiter

Mission 34 in Gran Turismo 4; the Nurburgring 'lap magic' where you drive a Mercedes SLR. *pauses a moment* It's the only thing that kept me from getting 100% completion in that game.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By ThePaleKing

@Hizang said:

Castlevania Lament of Innocence had a beast of an ending, you defeated one hard boss to then have to fight a second boss straight after. If you died you would have to start on the first boss again.

Yeah I remember that, I nearly gave up on the Death fight. And I never did beat the Forgotten One.

That also reminds me of the final boss of the PSP version of Rondo of Blood: you have to beat Dracula, then his beast form, then some god like Dracula form that wasn't in the original. Some of the attacks in the final form nearly turned the game into a bullet hell.

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By jadegl

The one thing I remember being really difficult, more so than the rest of the game, was the final level in Condemned: Criminal Origins. I had such problems with that part, I have no idea why. I had to restart multiple times, I was just getting worked by the enemies and it seemed like I had been able to hold my own before that much better. The only thing I can think is that I was so used to the taser that I just couldn't adapt my play style without it. But man, I remember being really frustrated with that level. I did get through it though, so wooo for me. :)

Bogitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By Bogitt

Sunset Riders - As a kid when the end boss pulls out that metal plate when i thought i had him beat, I died inside. Still never beaten that bastard.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By Ravenlight

Probably Gears 1 on Hardcore. Must have strolled past that emulsion a hundred times.

@gamefreak9 said:

@benspyda said:

@IBurningStar said:

No Caption Provided

YOU CAME TO THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD MOTHERFUCKER

Yeah these guys on NG+ are pretty rough. Although I got far more frustrated playing Uncharted 3 on normal. Naughty Dog can't design difficulty for shit.

o God, I forgot these guys. Its okay if you get solaire to tank one, similarly if you summon someone... but if you don't use Solaire or summon someone... I would put this boss fight pretty close to impossible :P.

I actually had an easier time on NG+. By that time, I'd become much better at dodging and reading attacks. That's not to say I didn't get blindsided by a spear or two in the process :/

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#180  Edited By CooVee
@SMTDante89 said:

Might not be the most difficult, but it's the one I remember most vividly.

There's a mission in Jak 2 where you are at the very end of the flooded slum area and a bunch of the guards in the game ambush you, and so you have to fight through a bunch of them with little or no health pick-ups and no vehicles to get you out of there fast. Back then it was frustrating enough that I quit the game for months, but I was determined to finish it before Jak 3 came out, so I kept trying until I finally got through it, was pretty happy about that accomplishment back in the day.

Oh god the escape from the water slums in Jak 2. The was indeed a hard mission but not the only one. Jak 2 was pretty frustrating overall.
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#181  Edited By veektarius

Reading this has poitned out just how little patience I have for hard games. I'd say the part in the forest of the first town of the Witcher 2, where you have to hunt down those beetle queens. Getting to it a second time is what stopped me from completing my second attempt at the game.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By bongchilla

I just finished Final Fantasy IV DS and that final dungeon was a pain in the ass. I tried to even over level and it does now really matter. Regular enemies will one shot the whole group.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#183  Edited By Sanity

Basically every part of I Wanna Be the Guy fits. But its hard overall...

Cant think of any one part of a game in recent memory that was hard on its own.

mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#184  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Also, that final boss battle against Ares in God of War was surprisingly difficult.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By SSully

@Pr1mus said:

The ship graveyard/ocean liner sections of Uncharted 3 are made of bullshit.

Now that you mention it, that shit was stupid. Even when you get on the boat it's can be stupid hard.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By gamefreak9

@Ravenlight said:

Probably Gears 1 on Hardcore. Must have strolled past that emulsion a hundred times.

@gamefreak9 said:

@benspyda said:

@IBurningStar said:

No Caption Provided

YOU CAME TO THE WRONG NEIGHBORHOOD MOTHERFUCKER

Yeah these guys on NG+ are pretty rough. Although I got far more frustrated playing Uncharted 3 on normal. Naughty Dog can't design difficulty for shit.

o God, I forgot these guys. Its okay if you get solaire to tank one, similarly if you summon someone... but if you don't use Solaire or summon someone... I would put this boss fight pretty close to impossible :P.

I actually had an easier time on NG+. By that time, I'd become much better at dodging and reading attacks. That's not to say I didn't get blindsided by a spear or two in the process :/

It was a little more bearable once you figured out how to glitch them with pillars, though it did feel cheap as hell.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#187  Edited By Kierkegaard

@mylifeforAiur said:

Also, that final boss battle against Ares in God of War was surprisingly difficult.

Yes, a thousands times. On God mode it is my gaming achilles heel. Ares regains so much health from hitting you, has multiple unblockable attacks, and just... yeah.

Also, the underground, blue stone arena right after you infiltrate the fort in Uncharted 1. Anyone who knows the place by that description knows it very well. It is hell on crushing.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#188  Edited By Hizang

I am probbaly the only person in Giant Bomb to beat Sorcery, but that end boss was insane, like incredibly difficult.

Hupfen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Hupfen

I can't say I have ever actually played a hard game (I'm too scared to), unless you count Dark Souls.

The hardest PART of a game I have experienced though, is the elevator in Prince of Persia. That is the worst freakin' part of that game, I swear.

baconbutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By baconbutty
@Veektarius

Reading this has poitned out just how little patience I have for hard games. I'd say the part in the forest of the first town of the Witcher 2, where you have to hunt down those beetle queens. Getting to it a second time is what stopped me from completing my second attempt at the game.

Things improve considerably not long after this though.

The difficulty curve in that game is backwards - The game starts much harder than it should - and then curves downwards as it gives you more abilities and teaches you more techniques without making the enemies any more difficult to compensate. Especially recently with the enhanced edition updates.

i don't care though, because it's challenging *enough* - and the game over all is incredible. I love Witcher 2, so so much.

But yeah, when that game first game out? Like, the few hours following its release? Fuck that. It was unreasonably difficult - and parts of the internet were up in arms about it. Rightfully so.
Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#191  Edited By Svenzon

I've never seen the spinning pillars in God of War, since I got extremely frustrated with that game way before that. There's this room fairly early in the game where you need to defeat all the enemies very very quickly, because if you're a second too late, the floor collapses and you die. I eventually managed to beat that, but after that the game lost me completely.

ikilledthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By ikilledthedj

None. I am a professional games man

m3ds334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By m3ds334

a@Pr1mus said:

The ship graveyard/ocean liner sections of Uncharted 3 are made of bullshit.

Yep, made me stop playing that game. Some day I'll go back too it.

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By clush

I can think of 3:

1. The very first level of Driver (the parking garage). After mastering that and getting acces to the actual game the game is a breeze.

2. The bonuslevels in Bayonetta. Normal game? not so bad.... those levels though.

3. The bossfights in Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

TwinkleTwinkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That one boss fight in Heavenly Sword was really hard, Mario Tennis final match on the hardest cup is insane and the end boss in Sorcery was just brutal!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Right now, it's Hotel 6-9 in Hotel Mario. I've played it so many goddamn times, but have yet to make any headway. DAMN YOU, RESPAWNING PARATROOPAS!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

The tutorial dungeon of Shin Megami Tensei IV. You WILL die before you gather all your demons, since you can get killed by a hit or two so easily, and it continues to be unfairly brutal until you get to Tokyo, where it becomes reasonable. And the game's difficulty curve is reversed, you could do the final hours of that game in your sleep.

Also the spinning blade towers and the trapdoor where you have to beat all of the enemies in God of War. And The Library in the original Halo. Not much sucks worse than a flood with a rocket launcher getting you with one shot from across a massive room.

JohnTunoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bed of Chaos from Dark Souls. Honest to goodness the only boss that made me rage. All cheap instant deaths all the time, and that horrible slog back to the area. It's like they abandoned all that hard but fair nonsense just for that one fight. The end isn't even satisfying either, you just kind of have to find the correct place to fall and attack its heart, no true hp bar.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#199  Edited By emfromthesea

Anything past the womb on The Binding of Isaac is pretty ridiculous. If you don't have a decent set of items by then, you're in for a hard time. And then there's The Chest.

Also, maybe I'm just bad at it, but the Challenge of Olympus modes in God of War are really frustrating.

HandsomeMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By HandsomeMuffin

Mass Effect 2 on insanity had some really shitty parts. Mainly the Praetorion I think it was called? and a section on flying hexagons inside the collectors ship. Just so damn hard.