#1 Edited by bartok (2582 posts) -

You know the kind of games that you wanna play but just don't want to pay full retail. Either because they are too short or you are on the fence about whether you will like the game or not. Which game was your most rentable of 2010 ?

1. Prince of Persia: Thrones of Sand - The graphics made the game look like a Next Gen port of a Last Gen game (think Gun or King Kong), the story was completely forgettable, but gameplay-wise it was solid with a neat water gimmick thrown in.   All in all it is a great way to kill a weekend and reminds you that Prince of Persia is a solid franchise.

2. Singularity - I love this game but with a short campaign and a multiplayer that is fun but  lacks staying power, I couldn't justify the $60.  It has one of my favorite stories of 2010 and the TMD is one of the neatest weapons ever but the campaign took me a little over 6 hours to beat. 

3. Heavy Rain -   Maybe I am wrong but this felt like one of those games that should be played just once to experience what is a unique gaming experience.  I feel going back to either unlock all the trophies or variables would ruin the magic and reveal it for the modern day Dragon Lair it really is.  I believe some of the members of the Giant Bombcast shared my thoughts.

#2 Posted by RWL_MU_OSU (112 posts) -

I loved the 10 or so hours I played of Bayonetta but wasn't into the story enough to finish it.  Definitely a good rent just to try the unique gameplay.

#3 Posted by HitmanAgent47 (8576 posts) -

Enslave, then again I never even rented it, however it's definetly a rental at best.

#4 Posted by C0V3RT (1380 posts) -

Naughty Bear - It's great for the first few hours but then the novelty wears off and start to realize how broken the game really is.

#5 Edited by JJWeatherman (14570 posts) -

Alan Wake, and yet I haven't actually rented it. I haven't rented any game in probably more than a year though, so that's the best I can do.

#6 Posted by bartok (2582 posts) -

Do people still rent games at places like Blockbuster ?  I just assume that everyone uses a service like Gamefly or something.

#7 Posted by ThePickle (4168 posts) -

Vanquish. It's short, and not very replayable, but goddamn is it awesome. 

#8 Posted by EvilTwin (3324 posts) -

I rented Darksiders and quite thoroughly enjoyed it.  Yet, I didn't think it was either long enough or replayable enough to want to own it for full retail price.  I might buy it soon, though, now that it's down to 20ish dollars.

#9 Posted by Smashlampjaw (220 posts) -

Alpha Protocol, it was a janky mass effect game but had a  good story.

#10 Posted by bartok (2582 posts) -
@CaLe said:
" I rented all my games in 2010, apart from ME2 and Red Dead.. and they were all quite 'rentable' "
touche
#11 Posted by xMP44x (2193 posts) -
Mafia II. I love the game but I am the first to admit that someone could complete it after a brief rental and feel they were done with the title. I personally chose to buy it seeing as it was spectacular, and I'm ecstatic with the purchase. The story is very enjoyable, but it feels a little too brief. Someone could definitely rent the game and earn the majority of the achievements from it in less than a week.
#12 Edited by benjaebe (2784 posts) -
@bartok said:

"3. Heavy Rain -   Maybe I am wrong but this felt like one of those games that should be played just once to experience what is a unique gaming experience.  I feel going back to either unlock all the trophies or variables would ruin the magic and reveal it for the modern day Dragon Lair it really is.  I believe some of the members of the Giant Bombcast shared my thoughts. "

You know, I really loved Heavy Rain (possibly my GOTY) and even I agree with this. Granted, I bought it, but you'll never be able to recreate the experience of your first playthrough. Mistakes you make, choices you panic on, etc. The game really relies on not having played it to get the most out of it, and even David Cage agreed people should only play it once. Everyone should rent it at least.
#13 Posted by Surkov (990 posts) -

God of War 3: I was just about to finish it, then my ps3 died. I bought a new one but my save is stuck on the dead one >_<.

#14 Edited by Hairy_Fish (366 posts) -

I would think all of them except for Halo, Black Ops, Red Dead and Mass Effect 2.

Oh, forgot Battlefield, Starcraft and New Vegas.

#15 Posted by Tsoglani (585 posts) -

Definitely Vanquish: too short.

Enslaved.

James Bond: Blood Stone - too short

All of the above games are very good, near excellent... but the one thing they all have in common is their short length, hence, the rental.

#16 Posted by Barrock (3553 posts) -

BLOPS

#17 Posted by Skald (4370 posts) -

Anything that relies solely on a short single player campaign. God of War 3, Vanquish, or even Kane and Lynch 2. 

Kind of makes me realize how sane EA's push for internet connectivity actually is.

#18 Posted by Jrad (624 posts) -

Yeah, I'd go with 'everything' too. I didn't buy a single game this year, actually. BLOPS was fun for a week, ME2 was fun for ~30 hours, RDR was fun for ~40 hours too. I don't generally replay games unless they're absolutely filled with choices (like Alpha Protocol or Heavy Rain). Hell, I even rented FFXIII. I've saved so much cash with a gamefly subscription it's pretty much unreal.

#19 Posted by mattbirdy1986 (107 posts) -

Vanquish its 7 Hours Long and its great from start to finish. 

also go for Singularity i enjoyed it :D

#20 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1212 posts) -

I'd say Bayonetta and Darksiders. Both games are fun as hell but once you go through them one time, you're good, no need to replay. Highly recommend!

#21 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

Split Second. On hell of a racing game, but there's only so much to see.