• 170 results
#1 Posted by BamurDeadd (59 posts) -

Topic!

Has to be NIER for me.. Sure, it screws up some stuff that you might've been working on for a relativly huge amount of time, but it was a great build up to a great conclusion!

Yours?

#2 Posted by Imsorrymsjackson (855 posts) -

Dark Souls, just because Dark Souls.

#3 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

It's hard to say. Most video game endings suck. The one that sucked the least to me was Super Mario 64, because he gets a cake.

#4 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

The Far Cry 3 ending had a big FUCK YEAH followed immediately by melancholic life contemplation by yours truly. It had such a powerful LOST vibe.

#5 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@OfficeGamer: So what is the ending to Far Cry 3?

#6 Posted by Shirogane (3576 posts) -

Persona 4, without a doubt. Even on this chart of jrpg endings it didn't fit anywhere cause the ending was just so good it was a total outlier that didn't belong anywhere on the graph.

#7 Posted by RedCream (705 posts) -

I heard Final Fantasy VI has a fantastic ending where every character (even minor) has been given some form of closure. I need someone to attest to this though.

#8 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

Probably Bayonetta because it has like 5 endings and they're all crazy and amazing.

#9 Posted by Brendan (7813 posts) -

I cry a little bit at the end of the Lord of the Rings movies every time :'(

Uhh, I mean, Red Dead Redemption's ending was really cool.

#10 Posted by djou (875 posts) -

Portal 2. The final boss battle did a great job of combining all the puzzle mechanics from previous chapters into a single battle. I didn't find the battle too frustrating and it had good pacing because it was segmented into parts. It felt both old school and new at the same time. Narratively the conclusion to the "story" was amazing and produced a hopeful ending that contrasted the end of the world dirge that the entire game had. It also had one of the great "oh fuck, no you just didn't" moments I ever experienced.

#11 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Red Dead for me, realizing there was more main story stuff to do after the "end"

#12 Edited by ll_Exile_ll (1709 posts) -

@Shirogane:

The ending of Persona 4 is not even as good as Persona 3. The back end of P4 is just:

"Finally, we caught the killer! No wait, that wasn't the killer, this was! But wait, he was really being manipulated by this evil demon thing! Oh no, that evil demon thing wasn't really the mastermind at all, this other evil demon was really behind everything!"

It's still an excellent game, but it's strengths are more about the characters rather the plot. If you're talking about the ending from a character standpoint, I agree it is good, but it doesn't have the great build up to the final showdown with a satisfying payoff like P3 does. Not that I'm saying P3 is the best ending ever, just that P4 is not.

#13 Posted by phrosnite (3518 posts) -

Darksiders

#14 Posted by GunstarRed (5194 posts) -

Golden Axe. It's the best ending to any game ever.

#15 Posted by advent_crash (35 posts) -

I can't think of this question and not come back with Metal Gear Solid 4. I have been a giant fan of the series since the first MGS and they manage to wrap up all of the insane story stuff that they set up in the most satisfying fist fight through the ages. With tension high and a gorgeous back drop it's an ending worthy of movie quality.

#16 Posted by Turambar (6786 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 3

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

Red Dead : Redemption - it's both surprising and rewarding, with a definite ending, yet lends itself perfectly for continous play even past the game's conclusion. A stroke of genius.

#18 Posted by panvixyl (325 posts) -

@Seppli said:

Red Dead : Redemption - it's both surprising and rewarding, with a definite finality, yet lends itself perfectly for continous play even past the ending. A stroke of genius.

True that.

Also, the ending of Persona 3 (not counting the bonus chapter).

#19 Posted by onyxghost (309 posts) -

Arkham City is the best in recent memory. The Joker sings a creepy version of "Only you.." Over the credits. The story played out exceptionally well.

#20 Posted by LikeaSsur (1533 posts) -

You say Nier, but what ending are you talking about? A?

As much flak as I'm gonna get for it, the Synthesis ending in Mass Effect 3 (Extended Cut) was very satisfying.

@Liquidus said:

Probably Bayonetta because it has like 5 endings and they're all crazy and amazing.

I'm not sure you have the right game in mind.

#21 Posted by Jeust (10655 posts) -

In a depressing way the most satisfying was Silent Hill 2 In Water Ending, as it was the most fitting to me, and and in a badass and egotistical way the dark side ending of KOTOR.

#22 Posted by geirr (2576 posts) -

@RedCream said:

I heard Final Fantasy VI has a fantastic ending where every character (even minor) has been given some form of closure. I need someone to attest to this though.

Yup! FF6 and Zelda 3 are tied for best ending, for me.

#23 Posted by TooWalrus (13208 posts) -
@OfficeGamer: Hm, yeah sure 

...actually my spoiler thing is acting up, so I just deleted my post. You should probably delete yours too.
#24 Posted by mordukai (7153 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

On that note, Demon's Souls. Why? Because the ending mucks you.

Also, I think Spec Ops: The Line had a really good ending. I thought I had it figured it out but ohh boy was I wrong.

#25 Posted by Dewar (44 posts) -

Chrono Trigger. Who doesn't love a moonlight parade?

#26 Posted by Baconbot (115 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is the only one that really jumps out to me.

#27 Posted by Focks_MacLeod (42 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

@Liquidus said:

I'm not sure you have the right game in mind.

I think he means back-to-back endings, not alternate endings. As in, there were multiple points where the game could have ended, but didn't and kept going.

#28 Posted by OldGuy (1558 posts) -
#29 Posted by EerieTraveler (36 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption and MGS3 are both fantastic.

#30 Posted by JadeGL (876 posts) -

Single Game - Mass Effect 2, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Halo: Reach

Game Series - ? The problem is whenever I think of a series that "ended" I realize that more games are coming (Halo had Halo 4 after Halo 3 obviously, Gears is still going) so I end up not wanting to list them.

I think the main problem is that I love certain series, but the game endings vary so much in quality that I just can't pick one for certain. Example - Looooove the ending to the first Diablo, love all three games, did not like the ending to 2 or 3 all that much. Loooove the endings to both Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2, didn't like the ending to 3 all that much.

Moderator Online
#31 Posted by BeachThunder (11959 posts) -

Grim Fandango comes to mind...

#32 Posted by spykereightsix (78 posts) -

Other than the obvious (being The Walking Dead), I've always enjoyed the endings to Max Payne 1 & 2, and a few of the old adventure games, like Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle.

#33 Edited by Cubidog1 (228 posts) -

Arkham City had a great ending to me. I was sad, surprised, and happy all at the same time. Uncharted 3's ending was satisfying to me, as I felt the Uncharted series ended well. The Walking Dead's ending almost made me cry though, and that is special. I haven't finished a lot of the games that came out in 2012, so I have no idea if any of them have good endings.

#34 Posted by soul101 (105 posts) -

Pro Wrestling......"WINNER IS YOU!"

#35 Posted by BamurDeadd (59 posts) -

@LikeaSsur: Actually, I found A abit out there. B,C and D made a whole lot more sense and the B playthrough made for some of the more interesting storytelling in recent years imo.

#36 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite. It was dark and thought-provoking, and didn't play to expectations. I still haven't played Nier, though. Maybe I'll line it up next, just don't have the time right now.

#37 Posted by Deranged (1837 posts) -

Red Dead was fantastic, Halo 4 was impressive and despite all the nay-sayers, I truly enjoyed ME3's.

#38 Posted by LikeaSsur (1533 posts) -

@BamurDeadd: That's true, A left me wanting a little bit more. B, C, and D were an actual ending, because....well, you know why. And yes, the B playthrough probably changed my life in some way, I've just yet to realize it.

#39 Posted by Shortbreadtom (783 posts) -

Jak 3, because it blew my fucking mind as a kid.

#40 Posted by BamurDeadd (59 posts) -

@LikeaSsur: Same here! Really loved how they shed more light on that one story of that one character and displayed how that one thing that happened, really shouldn't have happened in that one event! :)

How's that for spoiler free? Nuts and Bolts feels like an appropriate thing to say..

#41 Posted by Quarters (1711 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4. The definition of satisfaction.

#42 Posted by Demoskinos (14851 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 4. Goosebumps man....just goosebumps. The two clone brothers just duking it out mano e mano the music the visuals it was worth every bit of emotional investment in the series over the years

#43 Posted by rentfn (1280 posts) -

Getting all the P Wings at the end of Mario 3 was pretty sweet. I thought getting the Uber Powerful Gravity gun at the end of Half Life 2 was awesome. The final fight in Portal 2 was pretty amazing too.

#44 Posted by insouciant (710 posts) -

@geirr said:

Zelda 3? Which Zelda is that?

#45 Posted by JellyFish_Gsus (769 posts) -

Metal Gear Solid 3 & 4. They are both fantastically told with the right balance of music, narration and visuals.

#46 Edited by geirr (2576 posts) -

@insouciant said:

@geirr said:

Zelda 3? Which Zelda is that?

A Link to the Past

#47 Posted by LikeaSsur (1533 posts) -

@BamurDeadd: I don't know if I should feel proud or disgusted (with myself) that I know exactly what you mean with that sentence.

Seriously, people of the internet. Go buy and play Nier now.

#48 Posted by Sweep (8866 posts) -

In terms of pure "OH WHAT THE FUCK" probably Braid. That blew my mind. Journey had one of those "FUCK YEAH!" moments, that was incredible to witness, and even better to share.

The best ending ever, though? That's a tough one.

#49 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Imsorrymsjackson said:

Oh come on. Dark Souls is %100 about the journey. The ending sucks. It's nothing. lol

#50 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Manly picnic.