• 120 results
#1 Posted by AnimalFather (800 posts) -

Now that this generation is nearing its end...wow it felt like yesterday i was on the ps3forums counting the days for the ps3 release but then i switched sides because of Mass Effect.

Its time to look back a bit and think of a awesome game you played but never really took off or got the acclaim it should have gotten. for me that game is:

Prince of Persian (2008). Such a beatiful game.

whats yours?

#2 Posted by zombie2011 (4968 posts) -

Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise and Banjo Nuts & Bolts.

#3 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

I 100% agree 100 times over. 
also Alpha protocol

#4 Posted by SuperSambo (2849 posts) -

Anything made by Rare before Kinect.

Banjo is possibly my favourite game of all time.

#5 Posted by believer258 (11562 posts) -

Prince of Persia, eh? That was an awesome game, just a bit too easy. Better combat would have been more interesting, but I still liked it a whole lot.

Still, my vote has to go to Singularity. It seems criminally underrated and while it does rip some things from Bioshock, it does some of its own things. The TMD, for one, showed new ways of manipulating and controlling time. What makes that even better is that instead of having to go into a menu to switch powers, they cleverly mapped them to different buttons and combinations that worked surprisingly well. My only real complaints with the game are that some of the weapons felt far less powerful than they should have, the story never feels like it's going anywhere, and the game decided on a two weapon limit instead of a weapon wheel which, to me, hurt the game some. I also wish that it had included a few more bosses like the excellent train boss, which was one of the most fun bosses I've had to fight this generation. Aside from some other slight difficulty spikes, I can't think of many other things wrong with it.

#6 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -

PoP 08 is an excellent choice, probably my pick for consoles as well. 

On the handheld side I feel like Pokemon Ranger (the first one anyway, I've not played the others) got ignored by gamers for being Pokemon, and a spinoff at that. It was totally a fun little adventure game with some DS circle drawing involved. Difficulty wise I'd say something like "My first adventure game".

#7 Edited by JTB123 (1046 posts) -

Not sure I could pick just the one, but for now I'll go with Mirror's Edge.

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Metro 2033.

#9 Posted by Bobby_The_Great (1002 posts) -

Final Fantasy XIII mwa ha ha. What, come at me!?

#10 Posted by SteamPunkJin (1286 posts) -

Resonance of Fate (End of Eternity in Japan) - Properly updated JRPG mechanics and made turn based combat exciting again - I looked forward to random encounters the entire time during my first playthrough.

#11 Posted by benspyda (2015 posts) -

Far Cry 2

I put about 30 hours into that game and just loved roaming around the jungle and sniping fools. It seemed to get a lot of hate at the time.

#12 Posted by SomeDeliCook (2203 posts) -

I really, REALLY liked The Outfit and wished more people played it

#13 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

<-- Nier

#14 Posted by Zidane_24 (738 posts) -

Shadowrun, for me. There's no multiplayer game I've had more fun with than that.

Singularity and Metro 2033 are also really good choices.

#15 Edited by kingzetta (4307 posts) -
@benspyda said:

Far Cry 2

I put about 30 hours into that game and just loved roaming around the jungle and sniping fools. It seemed to get a lot of hate at the time.

If you could actually get around in far cry 2 it would have been amazing. I did love the there's a base and I'm going to do some real recon work then assault it. but getting anywhere was the hugest pain in the ass....and the fact that "the jackal" saves your life like 4 times, is really dumb.
#16 Posted by ParamedicFoetus (62 posts) -

For me maybe Nier, it didn't really get much hype on release but it seems to have got a following since and most people who played it through seem to like it so maybe it doesn't count as underrated.
So I'd say Virtua Fighter 5. That game's great, far and away the best 3D fighter I've ever played but the series has a reputation for being too technical so I think it puts a lot of people off. It was perhaps also unfortunate to be too early for the beat-em-up revival, hopefully Final Showdown will fare better!

#17 Posted by CosmicQueso (569 posts) -

All of those listed so far have been great picks.

I'll go more recent and say Alice: Madness Returns. Incredible art style and fantastic storytelling.

And I'll give an honorable mention to Wolverine.

#18 Posted by chicomendes2 (31 posts) -

mirrors edge, its a boom game and its cheap as fuck,

#19 Posted by Nux (2294 posts) -

Infinite Undiscovery and The last Remnant. I love thease two games to death and its too bad no ones ever heard of them.

#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11419 posts) -

This seems like it spawned from the Giant Bomb Thread Generator

Otherwise, I couldn't really tell you. What defines something as underrated? Is it just a game that we resent people for disliking? Is it something that the main body of "gaming enthusiasts" don't really care for, or perhaps has forgotten? I know for a fact that there are going to be a bunch of people who say Alpha Protocol, but even though that game had a lukewarm reception by critics, it's definitely developed something of a cult following and people who advocate for it advocate for it a lot. And that's fine. But at some point "niche appeal" and "underrated" start being indistinguishable. What makes AP any different in Dark Souls in that there are some people who really, really like it and some people who couldn't care less? A metacritic score? Please.

#21 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Lost Odeysey was a nice throwback to JRPGS,

#22 Posted by ZenaxPure (2569 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:

This seems like it spawned from the Giant Bomb Thread Generator

"Most confusing main character on the Atari Jaguar?" 

What the, that sounds like it'd actually be an amazing thread. 
#23 Posted by solarisdeschain (99 posts) -

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories.

#24 Posted by Veektarius (4540 posts) -

I'll go with Shogun: TW 2. Not because anyone who really played it underrated it, but it didn't get enough credit for being the greatest war strategy game of this generation. Maybe because that genre isn't really a big deal in today's marketplace.

#25 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

Perhaps not so much underrated (given its flaws) as underappreciated for just how much it illustrated the many ways in which "interactive narrative" can be done besides superficial dialogue/story trees and QTEs: Silent Hill Shattered Memories. Many will dislike it, but everyone, and I mean everyone, should play it.

Underappreciated and largely ignored because of a genre it brilliantly defies, vastly underrated because of its length which in my book should never, ever enter into the rating to begin with. I had so hoped that more people would let themselves experience it with the PSN release, but that didn't happen, so that's kind of a tragedy: Dead Space Extraction.

A different kind of underrated: Faulty review copies whose damage was never really undone ensures that we will never know how well Lost Odyssey might have scored.

#26 Posted by phantomzxro (1558 posts) -

@Zidane_24 said:

Shadowrun, for me. There's no multiplayer game I've had more fun with than that. Singularity and Metro 2033 are also really good choices.

Man did not know there were anyone left who loved that game. That game got me into online MP gaming, it was so fun i really think it was just before its time. I would really love for them to take another crack at that game now that online mp is more of the norm. Was nothing like reviving a buddy re-flexing bullets with your sword and then teleporting pass a wall to safety...good times.

Anyway my choice would be Alpha Protocol and Rayman Origin

#27 Posted by AmatureIdiot (1061 posts) -

Gonna have to say Army of Two, I had an insane amount of co-op fun with it.

Also Dark Sector was pretty good.

#28 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@SuperSambo said:

Anything made by Rare before Kinect.

Banjo is possibly my favourite game of all time.

Not counting Perfect Dark Zero, right? Other than that, yeah, their games were fantastic. Anyone who thinks Rare died when they left Nintendo needs to shut up and play Viva Pinata.

I also really enjoyed Alpha Protocol. I feel it would have done a lot better, if it weren't completely torn apart by the reviews. It had flaws, but it was an enjoyable spy themed RPG and handled the conversation/choices/consequences stuff better than any Bioware game ever has.

#29 Posted by VeRKK (93 posts) -

The Saboteur, I adore that game, gave it a very solid 8.8 depsite the many many falws it had.

#30 Posted by Winternet (8000 posts) -

Uncharted 2.

Oh, I'm sorry, I read overrated.

#31 Posted by amir90 (2153 posts) -

Nier I guess.

#32 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

Prince of Persia '08 for sure

#33 Edited by Melvargh (488 posts) -

@VeRKK said:

The Saboteur, I adore that game, gave it a very solid 8.8 depsite the many many falws it had.

#34 Posted by Stackboy (478 posts) -

I was going to say Borderlands, but I guess that was well respected. Just my favourite game of this gen.

#35 Posted by tourgen (4426 posts) -

I think Bayonetta took way too much heat and watered down review scores over the protagonist. So many people clinching their buttcheeks and wagging fingers to see the 5-out-of-5 action game. I can't think of much they could have done to make it a better game.

Metro 2033 is pretty awesome.

But Alpha Protocol is easily the most underrated game (that I own and have played) from this gen.

#36 Posted by Redbullet685 (6019 posts) -
#37 Posted by XanderCrews (105 posts) -

I would also say Singularity.

#38 Posted by kpaadet (409 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles, normally I cant stand JRPGs but I loved that game.

#39 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@kpaadet said:

Valkyria Chronicles, normally I cant stand JRPGs but I loved that game.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees.

(don't play the second one.)

#40 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1169 posts) -

Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

#41 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

well it certainly wasn't Lair...

yeah POP 2008 is a good choice, I would throw in Mafia 2 but that's just me

#42 Posted by Rohok (553 posts) -

The ArmA series. People complain about the tiny problems that could be fixed if they just played with friends or in a clan.

#43 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1255 posts) -

Metro 2033. I had a lot of fun with this game. Great story telling, amazing atmosphere, and the proper amount of former Eastern Bloc Jank.

#44 Posted by ColinWright (741 posts) -

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts

#45 Posted by Jeust (10450 posts) -
@jozzy said:

<-- Nier

Probably Nier
#46 Edited by GreggD (4475 posts) -

Personally, I'd say Test Drive Unlimited. Not 2, but the first one. That game started so many trends that have just been ingrained into this generation, and it pulled them off in spades. Just to name a couple, I can think of cockpit view driving, open-world racing, GPS mapping and navigation assistance. HUGE open world. It did a lot of things right, and in fact I'm gonna go play it for a bit.

#47 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

@Nux said:

Infinite Undiscovery and The last Remnant. I love thease two games to death and its too bad no ones ever heard of them.

The Last Remnant on the 360 kind of deserved the low review scores since it was, well basically a buggy mess, but the PC version is probably one of the best JRPGs I've played this generation. I liked Prince of Persia (2008) but I don't think it was underrated since it got pretty positive reviews for the most part (to me underrated means a good game that got overall low review scorest). I can't really think of a single game that was the "most" underrated but I would say that JRPGs in general, outside of Final Fantasy games, are pretty underrated in the western market. So games like Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery, Nier, Resonance of Fate, Enchanted Arms, Star Ocean: The Last Hope, Atelier Rorona, and Trinity Universe would fall into that category.

#48 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

Bomberman: Act Zero

#49 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

Lost Odyssey, because people making turn based RPGs keep thinking that they need to innovate the combat when all I want is fast pace FFVII-style destruction.

#50 Posted by Surkov (991 posts) -

Warhawk. Still some of my favorite multiplayer.