• 116 results
#1 Posted by bobcat1794 (279 posts) -

What is the most underrated game or games you have played on this current generation of consoles?

I know I have a few but for right now I can only think of Quantum of Solace for the Xbox 360. I loved that game and thought it was highly underrated, a hidden gem, especially if you got a friend to get it too.

#2 Posted by AlexW00d (6273 posts) -

All of the decent Russian games I have played that everyone shrugs off "'cause Russia" 'cause dey racists.

#3 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

That Call of Duty, it's all the rage!

#4 Posted by Mercot (80 posts) -

The Simpsons Game. Looks and plays exactly like the show, with some clever videogame humor sprinkled along with way. Especially in the later levels.

#5 Edited by Giantstalker (1645 posts) -
#6 Posted by Ventilaator (1501 posts) -

Nier is the greatest game of the generation. According to reviewers it shouldn't be played under any circumstances no matter who you are and what you like.

#7 Posted by IBurningStar (2171 posts) -

Risk Factions. It is basically the best version of Risk ever made. Ever.

#8 Posted by LikeaSsur (1528 posts) -

A lot of people don't really like Asura's Wrath because it's Quick Time Event: The Game, but it's good stupid fun, and that makes it a good video game.

#9 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Metroid: Other M is a pretty okay game.

#10 Edited by pyromagnestir (4323 posts) -

@IBurningStar said:

Oh, that's a good one! That was a fucking great game. I wish the campaign were a little longer, though, because what was there was fun.

edit: And Super Paper Mario!

#11 Edited by DeF (4885 posts) -

Spec Ops: The Line - among the most important games in recent history. and to hell with y'all. I think the shooting is pretty awesome (mechanically)!

Metro 2033 - incredibly atmospheric and immersive. subtle moral choice, optional stealth, stunning visuals - the whole package.

And Yet it Moves - WiiWare version easily trumps the PC original. fantastic twist on the platformer formula

Contact - "JPRGs are always the same BS" ... yea, is that so? thanks, you have no idea what you're talking about. shut up and play this game!

Dante's Inferno - "oh no he di'nt!" yes I did! I liked this A LOT better than both God of War 1 and 2. fascinating art direction and visual concepts, fun combat and a main character that I don't wanna just rip to shreds myself because I find him so despicable.

Heavenly Sword - same deal as above, the story is actually interesting, the characters are as well plus it's got fantastic voice acting and performance capture to bring it home. "It's SO much better when you're angry!" ... oh and it features a pre-Fringe Anna Torv as the main character, how awesome is that? (similar praise goes to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, by the way--Ninja Theory's other overlooked gem!)

From Dust - I've had zero problems with this game. loved the idea, the way you could mess around. the only issue is maybe that there isn't more of it.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories - it may deviate from the Silent Hill formula but damn if the game isn't still disturbing and mind bending!

Metroid: Other M - yea the storytelling is bad and some core Metroid-y elements are not present but that game that was there was still a blast to play and managed a very interesting first take on Metroid in 3D but from a third person perspective!

... and I have a couple more potential candidates still in my backlog (Nier, Alpha Protocol, Pandora's Tower, The Last Story, Fragile Dreams, S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, etc, etc).

#12 Posted by Jimbo (9809 posts) -

Probably Alpha Protocol. There are plenty of better games this gen, but most of them got the credit they deserved.

#13 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1246 posts) -

Recently I played Warhammer 40k Space Marines and I thought it was pretty good. That game seems to be not talked about often and I always see it on sale.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14690 posts) -

@Ventilaator said:

Nier is the greatest game of the generation. According to reviewers it shouldn't be played under any circumstances no matter who you are and what you like.

empty quotin this

#15 Posted by CooVee (148 posts) -

Singularity was pretty neat.

#16 Posted by bobcat1794 (279 posts) -

@IBurningStar said:

That game was awesome but it would piss me off to no end with how it was basically pure luck.

@DeF said:

Metro 2033 - incredibly atmospheric and immersive. subtle moral choice, optional stealth, stunning visuals - the whole package.

I also loved that game too and think it deserved better. Hopefully the sequel will shine even better.

#17 Posted by KillyDarko (1888 posts) -

Cryostasis, Velvet Assassin, Alpha Protocol and probably others I'm forgetting ^^

#18 Posted by Redbullet685 (6043 posts) -

Having just finished Spec Ops: The Line last night, I can say that that is definitely underrated. The gameplay may not be amazing or anything, but it works well enough and feels pretty good. The story is amazing, and most likely the best story of any military shooter ever. Also, the way the simple "reloading", "man down", etc. dialogue changes through the game is amazing. Along with Sleeping Dogs (haven't played it, just going off of what I hear), Spec Ops: The Line is this year's biggest surprise.

#19 Posted by BigSocrates (340 posts) -

Driver: San Francisco got decent reviews and a little bit of attention, but deserved significantly more. It's a flat out fun game that takes a somewhat played out genre and turns it on its head in a fun and fascinating way. It deserved to be a big hit, and it's dirt cheap right now.

Spider Man: Shattered Dimensions is similar. Is it as good as the Batman games? No. But other than the Spider Man 2099 levels, which are ugly and weird, it's an exciting game that captures a lot of the fun of the character and includes some enjoyable boss fights. Not a great game by any means, but one that i think has unnecessarily suffered by comparison to the Batman games and the follow-up, which was apparently quite awful.

Comic Jumper got a ton of negative reactions (though it got a good review here) and I'm not sure why. Yeah the enemies were bullet sponges and that was kind of annoying, but it's hilarious, graphically one of the most attractive games I've played, and was, IMO, a lot of fun to play. Just a really cool throwback to 16-bit platformers, warts and all, with current gen production values. It's on my list with Super Meat Boy and Bastion (though not as good as either) as games that bring the old school design into the present. While Meat Boy and Bastion both represent the pinacle of these games, Comic Jumper is like a 2010 version of Vector Man or something. Just a fun B-level game where a sense of style makes up for not great gameplay.

#20 Posted by D_train_lives (107 posts) -

@Joeyoe31: stop trolling you didn't even play it did you

#21 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

All of the decent Russian games I have played that everyone shrugs off "'cause Russia" 'cause dey racists.

Played Metro 2033... I gotta say, it kicks ass! It is like... half life 2 quality!

@Ventilaator said:

Most of them also gave Dragon age 2 an 8... yeah, real good reviewing fellow game reviewers! You sure did get bribed for that one but not for Nier! (I don't care what people think. Game reviewers are almost always bribed it seems.)

@LikeaSsur said:

A lot of people don't really like Asura's Wrath because it's Quick Time Event: The Game, but it's good stupid fun, and that makes it a good video game.

I watched a playthrough of it... it is Gurren Lagann... the game. That is fucking awesome.

@CooVee said:

Singularity was pretty neat.

Another great choice! Great game deserved WAY more attention to it.

The one game I would have to say is ULTRA underrated, to the point where it is so underrated that I believe it is criminal is Fragile Dreams Farewell ruins of the Moon. Saddest experience in my entire life... you will become depressed upon beating this game due to how heartbreaking this damn game is! It is a masterpiece and WILL be one of the greatest video games of all time. I am actually going to bet BOTH of my testicles on this happening due to how amazing it is.

It made a manly me, into a shriveling mess of tears... it is... ART!!!

#22 Posted by deox (215 posts) -

Metro 2033, despite it's shortcomings it's such an awesome game and incredibly atmospheric. I can't wait for the sequel.

#23 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11718 posts) -

Once again, I have to ask what the heck "underrated" even means, as this thread seems to pop up every few weeks or so.

#24 Posted by FilipHolm (667 posts) -

Shadows of the damned?

#25 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

Paradox games in general, especially it's strategy games.

#26 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Tenchu Z

#27 Edited by AlexW00d (6273 posts) -

@Giantstalker said:

Wargame: European Escalation

It's the finest military RTS I've played since World in Conflict. It's really good.

I don't think Wargame is underrated, I just don't think anyone knows wtf it is. I have seen literally no advertising for it, not even around the release back in Feb. The game is fucking brilliant though. My GOTY so far.

E: It got pretty great reviews too. Just not enough press or advertising :(

#28 Posted by lemonlateralus (102 posts) -

Earth Defense Force 2017- Technical failure but great fun.

#29 Posted by HisDudeness (252 posts) -

Cryostasis.

#30 Posted by Animasta (14690 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

let's be fair; they are not really underrated, they are just hella niche.

#31 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Orcs Must Die.

It reviewed well, don't get me wrong, but I think it deserved a lot of credit for having a great concept and executing it absolutely brilliantly in a way that oozed charm and was great fun.

The sequel is fantastic and I think has made the necessary improvements to be even more awesome, but the original deserves a tonne of props and should be played by everyone.

#32 Posted by L44 (559 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

Once again, I have to ask what the heck "underrated" even means, as this thread seems to pop up every few weeks or so.

There are many games here that I thought were recieved quite well. I guess for some people underrated means it deserved more commercial success.

#33 Posted by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -

Alpha Protocol, Red Faction: Armageddon, WET, Metro 2033, and probably more I can't remember right now.

#34 Posted by Jaeya (10 posts) -

Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale & Magicka are the titles which really stands out for me.

The Binding of Isaac, Analogue: A Hate Story & Dungeon Defenders deserve honourable mentions, though.

#35 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

Underrated niche!

#36 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (211 posts) -

@Jaeya: Have you played Digital: A Love Story? It's the game before Analogue: A Hate Story. It takes place on pre-internet BBSes and it's got dial-up modem sounds in it. It's fantastic.

As for the most underrated games I played I have to say inFamous and inFamous 2. Those games are really great but everyone including me tends to forget about them.and how great they are. I still contest they they are the best superhero games ever. Even better then the Arkham games. Since Batman isn't really isn't a superhero ass superhero since he's got no super powers.

#37 Posted by Jeust (10642 posts) -
  • Deadly Premonition
  • Nier
  • Alpha Protocol
  • Alone in the Dark

And I loved each one of them.

#38 Posted by SuperWristBands (2266 posts) -

(WarTech: )Senko no Ronde. I wish it's sequel made it over to North America (or a PS3 so I could import it).

#39 Posted by siaynoq (86 posts) -

The Binding of Isaac.

Though it's very well received on the PC and has sold many copies, I seriously expected to see it on consoles by now.

I will also dare say Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This game was also received in a mostly positive way and sold many copies, but I think too many people focused on how horrible they thought the boss fights were. This game probably could've turned out wayyy worse. It could've been better, sure. But for its return, I thought it was great and I badly need a sequel to this game.

#40 Posted by AlexW00d (6273 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

@Animasta said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

Underrated niche!

They are underrated as not enough people have crowned EU3 best game ever.

Eternal Game of the Year Europa Universalis 3.

#41 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1490 posts) -

@AlexW00d: Eternal Universalis 3!

#42 Posted by Chaser324 (6512 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles. I really wish that game had gotten more attention here in the states so that we could've seen an English release of Valkyria Chronicles 3.

Moderator Online
#43 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5826 posts) -

not just one game, but I think the PSP is the most underrated system of this gen. It has a great library of games that have been mostly ignored.

#44 Posted by dinkys (51 posts) -

Mafia II - One of my favourite games from this generation by far. Maybe lacked in activity but thoroughly enjoyed various play through's and thought they got the city, atmosphere, characters, story just right.

Vanquish - Short but man does this pack a punch! Japanese are crazy yo..

#45 Posted by AlexW00d (6273 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

You've cracked it.

#46 Posted by Animasta (14690 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

You've cracked it.

crusader kings 2 is better don't be silly

#47 Edited by AlexW00d (6273 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@AlexW00d said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

You've cracked it.

Nope.

E: Good for different reasons, but still nope.

#48 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1407 posts) -

Singularity and Shadows of the Damned

#49 Posted by Animasta (14690 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@AlexW00d said:

@No0b0rAmA said:

You've cracked it.

Nope.

E: Good for different reasons, but still nope.

the only reason I've played EU3 more is because of the different alt scenario's people make (hohenzollern mod and the azerimod are both great fun), CK2 will always be more unique in each playthrough.

I mean I love EU3, I love the colony name change mod when I colonize north america as Norway but still!

#50 Posted by toolzz360 (172 posts) -

@siaynoq said:

The Binding of Isaac.

Though it's very well received on the PC and has sold many copies, I seriously expected to see it on consoles by now.

I will also dare say Deus Ex: Human Revolution. This game was also received in a mostly positive way and sold many copies, but I think too many people focused on how horrible they thought the boss fights were. This game probably could've turned out wayyy worse. It could've been better, sure. But for its return, I thought it was great and I badly need a sequel to this game.

sony and microsoft canned it because of the religious themes