Most Underrated & Overrated game(s) you've ever played.

• 117 results
Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#101  Edited By Cirdain

[TROLLS A VALVE GAME]

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#102  Edited By DeF

@CornBREDX said:

I have always felt Halo was over rated.

Hold on, don't get out your pitch forks its cool. The game has its merits, and it truly defined that FPS can be made well for a console, but as a game it never drew me in and I never felt the connection to it a lot of people did. I heard the second was better then the first and that may be why. I never liked it so much that I played past the first. Regardless, while I accept completely it is a decent game and historically significant, I find the game to be generic and over rated as a game franchise.

Not flaming nobody, that is just how I feel about it.

You are not alone. Halo was my pick as an overrated game as well. If you look at it in the context of the time when it was first released, it might have been appropriate but it did not age well. I expressed my thoughts on this more extensively in a recent thread about whether or not it holds up. I also have my gripes with the 3D Grand Theft Auto games but I have to give them credit for what we all think of when we hear "open world game".

Beyond that, I don't really know ... a lot of the games that come to mind are those that I consider having aged poorly while breaking new ground when they came out so I'm having trouble calling them overrated.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Nottle

Most over rated... hmm. Oblivion? It does a lot of cool things but the combat is kind of crap. Also I kind of think that by now Morrowind looks better, but I've never actually played Morrow wind. Other than that. Mass Effect 2. I'm sorry, but I don't think it's as good as the first Mass Effect. The combat just sucks in ME2.

As for under rated. I'd say Earthbound, which is my favorite game of all time, Metal Gear solid 2, which is my second favorite game of all time (people need to think about that story more, its actually pretty amazing), God Hand, Vanquish, Bayonetta (sad the God of War series has probably been more sucessful).

Also the Binding of Isaac. For my money its the best downloadble game I've played this year. It's funny, has great replay value, and is kind of deep for a 5 dollar game. Those powerups are awesome.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#104  Edited By morrelloman

Underrated = Brutal Legend, Darksiders, Vanquish, Singularity

Overrated = Deus Ex:HR, MGS:GOP

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By HaltIamReptar

@DonutFever said:

@HaltIamReptar said:

@DonutFever said:

Overrated: Left 4 Dead, I guess. A lot of great ideas, but I never thought the shooting itself was too great.

Underrated: I wasn't really reading any game websites yet, so I don't know how this game was taken critically, but I don't think I've heard the word Chibi-Robo said by anybody ever.

Chibi-Robo is one of my favorite games, brother

Mine, too. I really hope it's on the Wii U VC, or something.

The sense of scale was absolutely incredible. You actually actually felt small.

Neeshka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Neeshka

Overrated: any bethesda game except morrowind, super meat boy, amnesia dark descent, the old republic (new star wars mmo)

Underrated: Undying, Vampire Bloodlines Masquerade, Blood Rayne, no one lives forever, witcher

AxleBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By AxleBro

@CptBedlam:

woah dude, don't disrespect the zodiac.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still liked Uncharted 2 but for some strange reason I didnt have as much fun as I did with the first Uncharted game.  So I would say that game is one of the most overrated games Ive ever played.  

Marino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 102

#109  Edited By Marino  Staff  Online

Call me crazy, but I'm starting to lean towards getting one. I love Hot Shots. I'd live to get into Lumines again. And the idea of playing a full-fledged version of MLB 12: The Show without hogging the TV is quite appealing.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Everyone is great at being passive aggressive on forums, it's funny how they respond to someone using all caps and swearing a lot by being even more passive aggressive. You're on the internet guys, say what you think.

Mirrors Edge is very underrated. I wish I hadn't listened to all the people that whined about it when it came out.

Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By Faint

I'd say collectively the 3D console versions of The Legend of Zelda are overrated. I still remember how spastic people went when the Giantbomb lads were still at Gamespot and Twilight Princess got a 7.5 or something... That being said, I don't hate Zelda at all and I actually really like some of the portable titles.

I think Fallout New Vegas is pretty overrated. A lot say it's better than Fallout 3 and I can agree in some regards. As it was released after F3, you would expect it to make some improvements on mechanics and gameplay, but there was no real vast improvements made and I found the story less interesting than Fallout 3. Basically, I think if you played Fallout 3 first, you weren't missing much if you didn't play New Vegas.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#112  Edited By GioVANNI

Underrated: Kickle Cubicle

Overrated: Portal

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#113  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

@Moncole said:

Overrated: crysis, found it very boring same As oblivion Underrated: Cthulhu save the world and dungeons of dredmore(played it but never got To buy it)

Dungeons or Dredmor is fucking amazing. Except for when you die, find a monster zoo, krong curses each piece of you equipment 4 times in succession and when your saves are wiped due to some sort of update. Other than those... annoyances, it's a great game.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By Slaker117
@Faint said:

I'd say collectively the 3D console versions of The Legend of Zelda are overrated. I still remember how spastic people went when the Giantbomb lads were still at Gamespot and Twilight Princess got a 7.5 or something... That being said, I don't hate Zelda at all and I actually really like some of the portable titles.

The funny part was it wasn't even as bad as 7.5. Jeff gave the game an 8.8 and people lost their shit.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overrated:

-Fallout 3. An ugly, buggy, game FILLED with plot holes, uninteresting characters (except Moira), and bad combat. Give people an open world with stuff to do and they don't care if the actual game is good. It makes me question the taste of the majority.

-Final Fantasy VIII. Very little character development. Easily abusable upgrade system.

Underrated:

-Final Fantasy XII. I've beaten nearly all of them and I feel like the game isn't respected as it should be as far as Final Fantasies go. It misses a little bit of punch in the story that I can't put my finger on but it makes up for it.

-Crysis. Crysis got a lot of undeserved hate because it wasn't the best playing shooter while being the best looking shooter. It's still really good.

-Europa Barbarorum. It's not technically a game, but a mod for Rome: Total War. If you like history, you'll love this super historical mod.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By bananaz

Okami and Shadow Complex? Those never get talked about. Shadow Complex is not overrated by anyone, as far as I know.

Overrated? Let's see.

Half-Life 2 is definitely overrated and I like that game. I like the whole series and yet I'm blown away by the hyperbole that surrounds it.

Everything on iOS so far. Including Superbrothers.

Braid.

Underrated? So many.

Brutal Legend: It misrepresented itself as an action game, but was really a strategy game. If you like strategy games like I do, it's a cool surprise. If you want a beat-em-up and hate strategy, you have a right to hate that game.

Too Human: Other than having the worst control scheme I have ever seen, the game itself was fun to play if you trained yourself to play it.

Downhill Domination(PS2): The only downhill mountain biking game ever. It's like SSX on bicycles, with water bottles you can throw at other racers, and crazy courses strewn with hazards to wipe you out. An amazing party game.

Many more. I may list others.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#117  Edited By BaneFireLord

*Overrated: Any given GTA game (although it might be more a case of them simply aging poorly) 
*Underrated: Just Cause 2

Vercinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Vercinger

Overrated: SW:TOR is the only thing that comes to mind. Based on what I experienced as a weekend tester, the game is nothing special.

Underrated: Space Colony

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By soldierg654342

The most overrated game(s) I've probably played would be the Half-Life series. Especially in the story department. The actual techniques that Valve use to tell the story are great, and game developers could still stand to learn a few lessons from them, but I've never found the story itself to be nearly as engaging or interesting as others have. Or at all, really.

The most underrated? Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I feel like know one has ever even heard of that game, let alone played it.

bananaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By bananaz

@SoldierG654342: I've played Shadow Hearts: Covenant. It was awesome.

Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

overrated : any Kingdom Hearts game, Call of Duty (after 3) L.A. Noir (game was so fucking boring)

underrated : Bulletstorm (shit is amazing looking, and fun as hell) Enslaved (having a pretty good time with it, even if the graphics are ugly) Just Cause 2,

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By AlKusanagi

I'll just stick to this year...

Overrated- Mortal Kombat. Excellent presentation but the same shitty gameplay I never liked about the classic MK games.

Underrated- The King of Fighters 13. Fighting nirvana, which will largely go completely unnoticed.