Most welcome surprise/biggest dissapointment of pre-Holiday '09?

Avatar image for coffeeandabagel
CoffeeandaBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By CoffeeandaBagel

My biggest disappointment was The Return of Matt Hazard. Despite my better instincts, I wanted that game to be great. I bailed after that awful, broken boss battle with the giant squid. Immediately popped on some Arrested Development and forgave Will Arnett. 

Conversely, I wasn't really paying any attention to BlazBlue before it came out. Love the mechanics, love the art, love the insanity. I just wish I could have got one of my friends to buy it.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Resident Evil 5. I thought I would have fun. Oh well, cannot discourage others who did. 

Biggest surpirse would be Battlefield 1943. Did a lot better in performance and I had lots of fun with people.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hitchenson
CoffeeandaBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CoffeeandaBagel

I still gotta check out 1943. 

Gotta say, I loved RE5

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By General_D23

Biggest diappointment was, like others said, RE5. Sorry, but no. 

Biggest surprise? Let me refresh my memory.... probably Batman: AA. Did not expect the game be as good as it is. 

Anyway, 2009 isn't over yet, and I'm sure there will be one more disappointment before the year is through. I can't really think of games that have much of a chance to surprise me, but there is a chance, I guess. The real wild card at the moment is Saboteur. I'm very wary of that one.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By gearhead

Biggest Disappointment = Scribblenauts controls totally ruined the game.  
Surprise = Borderlands, totally off my radar before.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

Matt Hazard? I didn't know anyone actually cared about that game at all. I had a feeling it would be bad. It's just a bit silly how they created him. Hmm, I can't think of any surprises or disappointments as I havn't played any notable titles lately. Also, Aha!

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Damien

RE5 was a real big disappointment to me as well.  I absolutely loved everything about 4 and 5 just didn't seem right.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By zeforgotten
Biggest Disappointment: Scribblenauts for sure.. Scribblenauts makes RE5 better than it already is (Yeah, I like it as an action game. They haven't been scary since 1 anyway) 
Biggest Surprise: Batman: Arkham Asylum (nuff' said)
GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By GunstarRed

Biggest disappointment was not only  of 09 but of most of the games I have anticipated with much excitement... Blazblue. I just wasn't for me and I'm still  pretty sad about it. 

Biggest surprise was Killzone 2 .. i  didn't really care for the demo.. but the full game ruled my face  more than I could have possibly imagined.
CoffeeandaBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CoffeeandaBagel
@eroticfishcake said:
" Matt Hazard? I didn't know anyone actually cared about that game at all. I had a feeling it would be bad. It's just a bit silly how they created him. Hmm, I can't think of any surprises or disappointments as I havn't played any notable titles lately. Also, Aha! "
I'm just very stupid and foolish in that I tend to get excited about projects people I adore are involved with. I bought Blasto for Phil Hartman (terrible game), just like I bought Matt Hazard for Will Arnett. There are so many others. So much time wasted...
Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Andorski
Biggest Dissapointment:inFamous - I liked the combat and traversal mechanics in the game, but the mission structure and the plot of the game just sucked.  It just wasn't a world that I wanted to be immersed in.

Biggest Surprise: Batman: Arkham Asylum - Licensed games are a bit of a double edged sword.  If you make a bad game, fans of the IP will torch you for it.  If you make a good game, but it doesn't capture the essence of what the IP is about, you can still get slammed.  On the other hand, if you are able to make a good game that uses the license for something more than a theme, you become something more (bad use of Batman quote).  AA had you truly feel like you were Batman.  You walked into rooms fill with a dozen guys knowing you can take them all down without a scratch.  You used stealth, not because you were weak against the opposition, but because you are a more effective killer when in the dark.  Couple that with great Metroidvania level design and atmosphere, and you get the best license game made yet.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By eroticfishcake
@CoffeeandaBagel said:
"I'm just very stupid and foolish in that I tend to get excited about projects people I adore are involved with. I bought Blasto for Phil Hartman (terrible game), just like I bought Matt Hazard for Will Arnett. There are so many others. So much time wasted... "
The fact that I havn't even heard of Blasto supports your mentality. I certainly don't blame you though, when you've got someone you admire working on something or another you automatically have high expectations for it. It's just like how everyone thought about Spore. A massive game filled with user content developed by a man who's had a repetoire of fantastic games under his belt. Expectations serve only to disappoint. Which is why I don't have any anymore.

" Knowing me, knowing you, aha!... "
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Disappointment:  Scribblenauts.  Great concept, but the controls were absolutely awful and many of the puzzles difficult, merely because you can't get the game to do what you want to do, expect to happen or because you don't understand what it's trying to tell you.  Playing around in the main menu was fun, but it really failed as an actual game.

Surprise:  Arkham Asylum.  It was just shockingly well made, especially for a liscenced game.  In my opinion, it's probably going to be Game of the Year, although I'm sure Uncharted will nudge it off from getting that spot from most sites.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mikeeegeee

I was really disappointed in Bionic Commando. I wanted that game to be good so, so badly. Ah well, hopefully a better game with a better swinging mechanic comes along. Those are always a blast.

I know it doesn't fit with your topic question, but I predict that my biggest surprise this year will be Assassin's Creed 2. I've watched a couple videos on the combat in that game and it looks truly improved and insane.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By dbz1995

Biggest Disappointment: GTA4-it was good, I'll give it that; it wasn't as good as any of the others though, IMO.

Biggest Surprise: Infamous-I didn't think I would enjoy, in fact, I didn't even buy it; it was a birthday present from my friend. And it did kick ass pretty fuckin' hard, IMO.

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

Biggest Dissapointment - Soul Calibur: Broken Destiny 
Most Welcome Suprise - PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe. 

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hitchenson
@dbz1995: GTA IV came out last year - 29th April '08...
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By thecleric

2009 in general is pretty dissapointing 
Surprise- Risen. did not expect it to be so awesome, that or 'Splosion Man

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Wow, first I've heard of someone trashing InFamous. hahah.

I played the demo for RE 5 & boy did it suck!  I knew I wasn't going to buy it after the first 10 minutes of game play.  In the past, there weren't that many zombie games so you could have a zombie game like Dead Rising with extremely shitty controls & nobody would complain as there weren't any other options for zombie games at that time.  Nowadays, the Zombie games like Left 4 Dead or COD:Waw, or whatever make it a lot easier to control.  So when RE5 comes out, you see this funky controller system & why bother when other zombie games are easier & more fun to play?  RE 5's controls were a serious detriment to playing it.

My biggest disappointment is hearing about Alpha Protocol being pushed to May 2010 or perhaps that Prototype wasn't as good as it should have been.

As for suprises, can't say I have any. Other than just buying Prototype for cheap & some Fallout 3 DLC & XBL games, I don't think I have paid full price for any video game this year!  Nothing was really as striking as last year, up til now anyway.

General_D23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By General_D23
@thecleric:
I still have to try Risen. I'll probably pick it up sometime mid next year, though, from the way Q1 looks.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Evilsbane

Biggest Disappointment: I would have to Say Bionic Commando because I saw SO much potential while playing it, Just the radiation spots and insane liner design, Like I mean whoever you are reading this if you haven't played Bionic commando think of it like this, your playing Mario and you have to stay in the middle of the level so 33% of the screen, if you touch the other 66% for any reason for 2-3 seconds you die and it Killed that game.

Biggest Surprise: Well I can see this has already been tread upon but Batman AA all the way I heard about it didn't care to much just assumed it would suck major balls and then I played that beautiful beautiful game and my faith in humanity went up a notch.

zander1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By zander1123
Disappointments: Killzone 2 :  sorry the control system to me was a little weird and off slightly
Halo 3 ODST: wanted it to be more than just another Halo game, maybe a little more stealthy and not so much run and gun
Prototype: the story was complete shit and game got stupid at the end 
Bionic Commando: metal spider man? how could you go wrong...O it did it so badly did
 I got more but I will just end this list there  
Surprises: Splosion Man: this game was so much fun I played it like 10 times great game 
The Maw: see above
50 cent Blood on the Sand: better version of GeoW2? i think so...
Rock Band Beetles: wasn't expecting to be as big as a fan as i have become. 
I think that is it for now...
Lolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lolo

Very disappointed with Brutal Legend.  Granted, I only Gamefly'd it, but it just didn't click with me.  I like the world and the characters, and the script is top-notch.  It's just not very fun to play...I sort of feel like the only reason I am is because I want to see what happens next.  It's a bit of a chore really.  Another part of me keeps hoping that something will happen soon that makes me fall in love with it, but as it stands, it's definitely my biggest disappointment of '09.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#25  Edited By beargirl1
Biggest Suprise: Blazblue. that game just came out of nowhere and it caught my attention right away. i got a friend to buy it cause i really wanted to try it and it was fun as hell. can't wait to get it myself 
Biggest Disappointment:
Wolfenstein. i was so excited for that game but the Single Player (while fun as hell) was WAY too short compared to RCTW and the multi player was ABSOLUTE GARBAGE.  

honorable mention is Red Faction Guerrilla, i bought that game because i loved the other RF games and i thought the destruction was pretty cool. i went in finding a lengthy, challenging campaign which was pretty damn fun and surprisingly AWESOME Multiplayer (i even play some games with Metal_Gear_Sunny sometimes ^^). very well made game  
thecleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By thecleric
@General_D23 said:
" @thecleric: I still have to try Risen. I'll probably pick it up sometime mid next year, though, from the way Q1 looks. "
For sure, if you can get it, make sure it's on PC, the 360 port looks.. awful because of the team they used to do it and it's honestly a PC RPG. But yeah if you wait around, I'm positive it'll eventually be a Steam weekend sale by the end of Q1, or it'll at least drop down to 30 bucks. If you liked Gothic 1 & 2 you'll love Risen
chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Biggest Disappointment: Scribblenauts

A great concept with a half-cocked execution. I thought I would love this game, but instead I played it for about two hours and will probably never pick it up again. The controls, physics, and object interactions are simply atrocious and make the game way too frustrating to legitimately play.
Runner Up: Brutal Legend - It's a solid game with great writing and atmosphere, but the gameplay, while functional, feels unrefined and incomplete. Also, I guess I just expected more out of a Tim Schafer game.

Biggest Surprise: Batman: Arkham Asylum

I was wholly unimpressed by everything I saw leading up to this game and simply figured it would ride the Dark Knight hype train to some solid sales numbers and inflated reviews. It only took about 15 minutes of playing though to realize that I was totally wrong. This is a great game that expertly combines stealth and brawler gameplay along with an engaging plot and atmosphere to make one of the best single player experiences so far this year.
Runner Up: Red Faction: Guerilla - This is a game that really came out of nowhere to me. It had very little press leading up to its release which gave me the impression that it was going to be a run of the mill third person shooter with bland atmosphere. While I feel like I was sort of right about the atmosphere, as the game is very short on plot and doesn't exactly have the most varied or engaging terrain, the gameplay was surprisingly fun and the multiplayer component had some very unique aspects that kept the game spinning in my disc tray for some time.
jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jkz

Surprise - Arkham

Disappointment - Killzone 2 (really found nothing to keep me playing that game)

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Vitefish

Suprise - Definately Batman

Disappointment - No one knows about Columbo!

MetalR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MetalR

Biggest disappointment: Brutal Legend
Biggest suprise:  Batman: Arkham Asylum, that game was fucking awesome.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Akeldama

demon's souls....on both accounts....

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By FireBurger

I can't think of a disappointment. As for a surprise, that would have to be Uncharted 2. I certainly didn't think it would be bad, I just didn't have much interest in it. Luckily, the reviews enticed me and now I can say it's easily one of my favorite games ever.

PsyFX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PsyFX

Disappointment: COD: Modern Warfare 2for the PC

Surprise: Uncharted 2