Mouse & Keyboard aficionados, what games do you believe are actually better with a gamepad?

• 77 results
OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By OfficeGamer

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By OfficeGamer

I'm trying to compile a list of specific titles that even Mouse & Keyboard fanatics (such as myself) believe are just designed for a controller. Less "sports games/racers" posts and more specific titles please.

My list:

• Bastion - You just can't move five feet without falling off the edge with WASD
  • FIFA / Need for Speed / DiRT - Better handling of the players/cars with analogue sticks. Much more fun to hold triggers and bumpers for sprinting/breaking/etc.. rather than tapping keyboard keys.
  • Super Meat Boy / Mark of the Ninja - I think the problem with these games is that they're full of jumping. Playing them on a keyboard would break the space bar.
  • Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light - A lot of circle dodging and jumping, needs a gamepad. Also co-op = 2 players = 2 gamepads.

What specific titles are exceptions to your "mouse and keyboard for everything!" rule?

The Walking Dead

Also, side question, I'm about to begin playing The Walking Dead (ep1) and I'm wondering, again addressing M&KB lovers only, did you prefer M&KB for it or controller and why?

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Dark Souls and Sonic Generations are unplayable without a controller, but other than that I always use KB+M.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By tmthomsen

I found The Walking Dead more enjoyable with a gamepad.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ares42

I generally find third-person action games to feel better using a pad, especially melee-based ones (like God of War, AC or Dark Souls). Dual-stick shooters can also be quite good, although not as much of a difference between the different schemes. Mouse and keyboard is generally better for games where you're pretty much always walking forward (directing with the mouse), not games where it's more of a spatial thing.

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By galiant

Civ V - pretty great with a controller playing from my couch.

There's no controller support, but with a little bit of unsigned driver magic my DS3 is a perfect fit.

Also XCOM.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Any game that's not a top down game or a online FPS game. I prefer comfort over precise aiming in single player games.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By MezZa

Dark Souls, Darksiders, Bastion, Sleeping Dogs, Batman, and Assassin's Creed are the only ones I own and play with a control. But more generally, most 3rd person melee based action games. Any shooter feels better with a mouse and keyboard to me, and the same goes for more UI heavy games like Civ, XCOM, etc.

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cheapandtacky

Mouse and keyboard is for FPS and strategy games.

Platformers, driving games and in general third person games I find better with gamepad.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jams

anything that requires analog movement. That's about the only reason to use a controller over M/Kb. Even then, there can be work arounds (like in Splinter Cell PC where you can use the mouse wheel to adjust movement speed).

galiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By galiant
@Bourbon_Warrior Sorry if I gave you false hope there! There is software that lets you map mouse movement/keys to your controller though, which is more than enough to play Civ V!
phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By phrosnite

Bastion a thousand times. That slightly above average game is best played with a gamepad because with KB& M is f-ing unplayable. You'll develop "the claw" in no time.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlexW00d

Driving games and flying games, only cause I don't have room for a wheel or flight stick setup.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

@OfficeGamer said:

Also, side question, I'm about to begin playing The Walking Dead (ep1) and I'm wondering, again addressing M&KB lovers only, did you prefer M&KB for it or controller and why?

I played Walking Dead with mouse and keyboard and had no problems with it. Haven't tried with a controller but what I've seen of videos it seems fine.

I find Borderlands 2 is better with mouse and heyboard, but that's due to this weird specific case. I play as Gaige the mechromancer, and with M&KB I can move the reload key to somewhere else so I don't accidentally discord.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually prefer playing stealth games with a gamepad.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Animasta

action adventure games mostly. and platformers

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By mike

I use my PC like a super-powered console and play almost exclusively with a controller, unless there is that rare game that needs M&K. This is primarily because I have my PC hooked up to a giant ass TV in my living room and using the latter is awkward and not very enjoyable.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Azteck

Racing games and platformers. Otherwise I stick to KM+B

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#19  Edited By joey

Non-FPSs

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

@MB said:

I use my PC like a super-powered console and play almost exclusively with a controller, unless there is that rare game that needs M&K. This is primarily because I have my PC hooked up to a giant ass TV in my living room and using the latter is awkward and not very enjoyable.

Same. If at all possible, I use a gamepad, because I've hooked up my PC to my TV and it's much easier to play with a controller on a couch then it is to play with KB/M. That said I bought a new monitor just to play games that need KB/M like the Mass Effect series on PC since I'm playing through all of them all over again with all the DLC.

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Huey2k2

Pretty much any 3rd person game is better with a controller IMO

Anything first person is better with a keyboard and mouse. Also I would never even consider playing a strategy game with a controller.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kindgineer

I like to play any game with a controller on the PC that I can simply because it feels better to sit back and enjoy the game.

joshrholloway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By joshrholloway

Any game that has good Xbox 360 controller support, I play with a controller. Even FPS games.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Franstone

The Witcher 2.

Batman: AC & AA.

GTA series.

Trine.

I've heard XCOM plays well but have only used M&K, same with Skyrim.

Any sports/racing games.

Use a joystick for any flight games/sims.

Starcraft 2 (kidding!).

I do think PC is the best platform but I'm not one of those fools who blindly defend that M&K is best for everything.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By subject2change

Mostly Action games, Batman, Dark Souls, etc.

I played Bastion and Walking Dead with keyboard, I will usually play it on a console if it requires a controller. Like I own Trine 2 on PSN and Steam, however I will probably play it on PC cause it made more sense back when I played Trine 1 to play it with Mouse/Keyboard.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By colourful_hippie

@MB said:

Basically this. I'll switch to KBM if I'm going to play a mutiplayer FPS like Team Fortress 2 because...well duh. The other situation will be if for some stupid reason a game came out without gamepad support like all of the Mass Effect games.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By devilzrule27

Everything but strategy games are better with a controller. But thats just my opinion.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By tourgen

gamepad: all side-scroller shooters and platformers. All dual-stick games (geometry wars, etc)

First & third person 3D games are always better with a mouse.

There are examples where games that would have been better with a controller or vice versa have been badly fumbled by the developers. For example Binding of Isaac and Dark Souls.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By JoeyRavn

I used to be a hardcore KB+M user. I even have a Logitech G13 Gameboard... until I bought a 360 gamepad for my PC. Since then, I've barely touched a keyboard for gaming. Even for FPSes, I tend to use a gamepad. I don't play competetively online, so losing that pixel-perfect precision is not a problem for me. The last MB+K-exclusive game that I've played was Diablo III, like six months ago. Or, well, some Civ V every now and then.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By crusader8463

Dark Souls is the only game I have plugged in my controller to play instead of MKB and that's only because the devs are terrible at making PC games and couldn't add in good controls. The camera freaks out when using the mouse to look around and is unplayable for me. If they fixed the camera issue I would use MKB but as is it's unplayable.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By crusader8463

@phrosnite said:

Bastion a thousand times. That slightly above average game is best played with a gamepad because with KB& M is f-ing unplayable. You'll develop "the claw" in no time.

Lol no. I played it from start to finish with MKB with zero problems. Learn to use MKB and you can play any game fine as long as the devs don't go out of their way to make it unusable like in Dark Souls.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By phrosnite

@crusader8463 said:

@phrosnite said:

Lol no. I played it from start to finish with MKB with zero problems. Learn to use MKB and you can play any game fine as long as the devs don't go out of their way to make it unusable like in Dark Souls.

he said to the guy who has played 99% of his games on a PC with KB&M.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crusader8463

@phrosnite said:

@crusader8463 said:

@phrosnite said:

Then I don't know what your problem with it was. Maybe you need to play 99.9% of your games.

WasabiCurry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By WasabiCurry

Normally, I go with KB+M over most games. Games that I would go with a controller would be fighting games and certain platformers like Sonic Generations.

It doesn't really matter to me, but I do prefer KB+M in FPS games and top down games. Controllers are simply way too slow even when the sensitivity is high.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By DarkShaper

Weird, I beat Bastion twice with KB+M and thought it played fine. 

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By beforet

I don't even know what I count as anymore. Some genres I need KB&M, others I need a controller. I've been playing walking dead with a controller. Feels more natural that way fir some reason.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ben_H

Dark Souls, any racing games, Limbo, 3rd Person open world games.

beeftothetaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By beeftothetaco

-Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition

-Sleeping Dogs

That's all I've played with a gamepad on PC.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#39  Edited By Justin258

@phrosnite said:

@crusader8463 said:

@phrosnite said:

@crusader8463 said:

@phrosnite said:

Then I don't know what your problem with it was. Maybe you need to play 99.9% of your games.

And maybe you should stop acting like some random tard on the internet.

I've argued for a controller many a time on the internet but I remember playing the demo of Bastion and wondering why anyone would prefer it with a controller.

On topic - whether I play with a controller or M+K really depends on a number of different things, but it mostly boils down to whichever one I feel like using at the moment. I switch around pretty often. Here lately, multiplayer games don't seem to be a problem simply because I'm not playing any of them, but I still find myself playing most games with a M+K. Sleeping Dogs, Darksiders 2, Dark Souls, and The Witcher 2 are all games I prefer with a controller.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By beforet

I will say that I much prefer it when it's not an either or situation. Being able to switch on the fly without going into a menu is great.

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By beepmachine

@DarkShaper: Same here. I can't even imagine playing it with a controller. How the fuck could you aim accurately when the game moves so fast?

Nentisys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Nentisys

Dark Souls and Sleeping Dogs are pretty much the only ones I play with a controller.

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mak_wikus

Your list pretty much sums it up for me. Racing, sports, platformers. I never play first person games with a gamepad. Never.
Also, XCOM is better on a gamepad. Saying that the game is played just as well on a K&M setup is complete bullshit. If that was the truth my mouse would be able to do everything. The moment the demo told me to "press SPACEBAR" to go into shooting mode I said fuck it and switched to gamepad. When I play a turn based strategy game I like to do it one handed sitting sideways to my desk. Sorry for the rant.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By stonyman65

Generally I use a controller for anything third person, fighting, or racing. Everything else that isn't a "behind the back" camera, I use a mouse and keyboard.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cold_Wolven

I prefer a controller over M+KB as I often make mistakes with a keyboard while playing so it's really a matter of ergonomics for me.

CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By CaptainCoke

So what is the controller of choice for PC? Xbox 360 controller?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By ajamafalous
@OfficeGamer said:
Bastion - You just can't move five feet without falling off the edge with WASD
I disagree with that entirely. I hated Bastion when I first played it because I used a controller. I went back a few weeks later and played with M+KB and I couldn't stop playing it.

For me, it's:
  • Character Action games (Assassin's Creed, Batman, etc.)
  • Driving Games
  • Platformers
I think that's it. I absolutely will not play any first or third person shooters with a controller.
49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By 49th

Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, SR3, and Super Meat Boy - all get played with a controller, it's just more enjoyable to lean back with a controller in these kind of not so intense games where you don't have to aim so precisely and it's nicer to move around with an analogue stick.

I always play FPS games with a keyboard + mouse though, I just prefer aiming that way.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49  Edited By Branthog

Using a console controller on a PC is like having a Hummer just to drive to the grocery store. Or paying $1,200 for Microsoft Office, when all you're going to do is write notes that would be fine with Notepad. If you're going to play everything with a console controller, you might as well just play a console. The exception, of course, being shitty console ports to PC where the developer was too lazy to take advantage of WASD+M.

gogosox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By gogosox82

I usually play most shooters and rpg's with KB+M and action games like dark souls or assassin's creed with controller