Multiple playthroughs.. Am I the only one?

• 64 results
emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By emergency

Am I the only one out there, that just doesn't play through a game twice no matter how good it is? I mean there ARE exceptions, very small games or quick games certainly. Even with things like carrying over your character, harder difficulties etc. Once I finish a game I have no desire to really play through it again, theres always another game out there that I'd much prefer to play. With films I'd certainly watch good ones again a few years later, but given the choice between a film I've seen and one I haven't I always go with the one I haven't. I have friends that go multiple playthroughs through games. Anyone I know that's played mass effect through once has played it through again for example. Surely I can't be the only one?

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

I usually only replay a game if I think it's really fucking good, which very rarely happens. I don't even finish most games I buy anymore.

theoldhouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By theoldhouse

I play alot of games twice. But only good ones. 

Played through dead space 1 four times

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By unchained

I really enjoy replaying games. Some I don't bother with...Red Dead Redemption comes to mind as you can continue playing after the credits.

But I've already replayed Witcher 2 twice after completing it the first time. Dragon Age 1 and 2, Baldur's Gate, StarCraft 2, Uncharted 1 and 2, God of War series, Darksiders. . .and that's just in the past year. It's the same with movies and books - I love revisiting them. For me, it's a fun time exploring further into something I've enjoyed. I pick up things I missed the first time around.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Karl_Boss

Yep you're the only one in the entire world who only plays through a game once.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane

I may not finished every game 3+ times, but I do at least play a majority of the campaign more than twice for every game I own.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mrfizzy

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

I usually only replay a game if I think it's really fucking good, which very rarely happens. I don't even finish most games I buy anymore.

same here, not enough free time any more :(

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By WickedCestus

I usually don't re-play games until much later, but some games actually become better on the second or third playthrough, like Nier or Shadow Complex.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By emergency
@Unknown_Pleasures
Yep you're the only one in the entire world who only plays through a game once.
Forever alone ;(
ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

NO YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE

FUCK I'M SO SICK OF THESE THREADS

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jadeskye

i've played everything i own more than once.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Strife777

Depends. There are some games that I have played through over 4 or 5 times. Usually, I don't go past 2 playthroughs for games with moral choices like inFAMOUS.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

I'm sick of you.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By wefwefasdf

I used to play through games multiple times a lot when I was younger. I seem to do it less and less now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ajamafalous

@Khann said:

@ajamafalous said:

I'm sick of you.

:(

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16  Edited By YI_Orange

Pretty much never. The only exceptions are Super Mario RPG and some of the old Megaman games. There's always a length of time between the plays though. I've never beaten a game then jumped back in for a new game plus or whatever. Well, maybe with Chrono Cross way back.

@jadeskye: Your avatar makes me sad.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By project343

I love Bioware and choice-based games. So I typically do go through those types of games twice. 

Only one other major exception: Portal and Portal 2. 

Portal  - ~15 playthroughs 
Portal 2 - 4 playthroughs (thus far)

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster
@ajamafalous said:

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#19  Edited By jacksukeru

@ajamafalous said:

I wonder if you are the only one that is sick of these threads. I bet there's a possibility.

BR4DL3I9H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By BR4DL3I9H

It all depends. The truth be told, these days i have barely enough time to play through a game once, so i rarely play through more than once. Sometime i don't even make it through once. There are exceptions though, such as if the game has enough quality and originality to play through a second time. The only time i almost always play through a second time or play the same game two time in parallel is if i am playing the game by myself and co-op. PSN and arcade games are great for these, like dead nation.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By redbliss

Nope, I dont really play through games multiple times unless I have beaten all my other games and I have nothing else to do.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@ajamafalous said:

No one fucking cares dude.
And yeah majority of the games i buy i play through at least twice.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@RockmanBionics said: 

I wonder if you are the only one that is sick of these threads. I bet there's a possibility.

I'm rather sick of these threads where the OP acts as though he/she's special regarding a certain subject. When you honestly ask others "Am I the only one who...?", chances are you're not. Better way to formulate it would be "Who else...?" Seriously, the former formulation is fairly egocentric and the kind of question has been popping up more frequently recently.
Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

It takes a lot for me to want to replay a game. I rarely do it, it's one of the reasons I play games on the hardest difficulty first, it lasts me longer. 
Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Orange

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Same here... it's hard enough to finish a game with my schedule. I don't like games that take forever to finish, because I'm likely to get bored after a while and trying to finish it only makes playing the game a chore... I wish I didn't feel that way.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ShockD

I replay if I'm impressed enough. I must have replayed CoD 2 like 10 times.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Branthog

There are too many new things out there to spend my time doing the same thing repeatedly. At least, when it comes to something like playing the same game just so I can play "as evil" or "see what happens if I fake-hump-cut-scene a different person in the game". If there was any real meaningful incentive to play a game more than once, I'd probably do it, but even in the best of circumstances, it's so fucking superficial that it's nothing but a waste of time. I'm sure if I were twelve years old, I'd feel differently, because a game wouldn't be something I could so readily afford to buy and then play for eight hours just to never touch it again.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By emergency
@FluxWaveZ
@RockmanBionics said: 

I'm rather sick of these threads where the OP acts as though he/she's special regarding a certain subject. When you honestly ask others "Am I the only one who...?", chances are you're not. Better way to formulate it would be "Who else...?" Seriously, the former formulation is fairly egocentric and the kind of question has been popping up more frequently recently.
Sorry for my poor use of the English language, I didn't consider the way I was phrasing it to be particularly offensive to your delicate sensibilities at 2.30am.
probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By probablytuna

Sometimes I play a really awesome game, and then that's it, I'm done with it (Uncharted 2), then sometimes I play an awesome game, and it's so awesome I have to play it multiple times (Mass Effect 2). When I replay a game, it's usually when there are no new games to play during that period or when something triggers my urge to replay a certain game (seeing Mass Effect 3 announcement = replay Mass Effect 2).

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By emergency

@akiz_jack said:

Sometimes I play a really awesome game, and then that's it, I'm done with it (Uncharted 2), then sometimes I play an awesome game, and it's so awesome I have to play it multiple times (Mass Effect 2). When I replay a game, it's usually when there are no new games to play during that period or when something triggers my urge to replay a certain game (seeing Mass Effect 3 announcement = replay Mass Effect 2).

But not to replay Uncharted 2?

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By probablytuna

@emergency: Yes because the end levels pisses me off. And I feel like it's one big adventure so it kinda devalues the experience if I play it multiple times. Granted, I'll probably replay the entire trilogy when the third one comes out.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@emergency said: 
Sorry for my poor use of the English language, I didn't consider the way I was phrasing it to be particularly offensive to your delicate sensibilities at 2.30am.
I'm not offended by this thread in the least.
Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Rhaknar

i never used to replay games until recently, but thats only because i've been double dipping games on steam i already finished on consoles, does that count? But still, thats years after i guess. I never jump right back into a game i finished, for a second playthrough... almost did with witcher 2 actually, because the mid part of that game is COMPLETELY different depending on a choice you make, but i still didnt. It's actually the same reason i play all my games on normal actually... not to be a dick, but i have, and always had too many games to play, especially now with steam sales (my backlog is ridiculous) so i never felt the need to play the same game twice, or spend more than i needed on any 1 game (hence playing on normal and not on hard where i would die more and make it last longer etc)

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ninja

Depends, I like to play through rpgs multiple times, like Mass Effect and its ilk but with games like Halo and Gears of War I just use level select and replay my favourite levels. I've played through the silent cartographer in Halo: CE so many times and probably only touched the other levels once.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By penguindust

I rarely get through a game once, let alone twice so I don't replay too many of the games I own.  I've replayed KOTOR and Mass Effect 1 a few times, but after that it's really hard for me to remember another title I've revisited.  Well, maybe Oblivion but I am constantly fooling around in the world with mods and community content.  What I find that I do most of the time is I restart games two, three or even four times because I forgotten so much since the last time I picked it up.  So I've replayed the first few hours of a game multiple times and the farther I get in, the less familiar it becomes until it's all fresh again...then I drop it and have to start all over again a year later.  On the rare occasion that I do return to a game, the type of game is always an RPG where I can rebuild my character in a different fashion.  I have little to no desire to replay any shooter, platformer or action game usually.  Sometimes, I will toy with the idea in my head but then my "pile of shame" guilts me out of that exercise.   Honestly, I have too many games I haven't played or haven't finished to replay another game over again. 

Crash_Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By Crash_Happy

I might not get a chance to play a game through more than once. For one thing I need the time, assuming I have that then there might well be other things including other games that have to get preference. Then add to that the need for the game to be really good, have enough things I can do differently and enough time passed since I first completed it.

It does happen, but it's rare.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By emergency

@FluxWaveZ said:

@emergency said:
I'm not offended by this thread in the least.

Ooops, apologies. I believe I must have misclicked on your post. Didn't mean to reply to you.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Venatio
@ajamafalous said:

This is to all the people on the internet

YOU ARE NEVER THE ONLY ONE IN ANYTHING! sorry for the caps but with 6.8 billion other people on this planet there's bound to be someone else

And I like re-playing through games because of two specific reasons, making different story choices, like in InFamous or Mass Effect, or to earn som more achievements/trophies in games that I find fun like Gears 2 or Uncharted
Sait0u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Sait0u

Mass Effect 1 and 2, Dead Space 1 and 2

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ChickenPants
@ajamafalous said:

To clarify, you should make a thread to check if you're the only one.
Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Yanngc33

I don't usually replay games unless the achievements are piss or I really, really liked it

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#42  Edited By jacksukeru

@FluxWaveZ said:

@RockmanBionics said:

This was really supposed to be a joke aimed at ajamafalous, sort of hinting at the phrase "AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO IS SICK OF THESE THREADS?". I didn't want to just type that out though and instead chose to reference it in a roundabout way, that sort of came out in a hard to interpret way, sadly.

Now on the off-topic, as much as I like to get nitpicky whenever someone types out "Am I the only one who...", I realize that it's just an expression that most people use without thinking. A few probably ask the question genuinely and with good reason (Am I the only one who enjoys eating rocks smeared with chipmunk blood?), but I'd be willing to bet most people use it in a hyperbolic sense (I have only ever seen negative reactions reactions to this game, am I really the only one in the entire world who likes it?) to emphasize their disbelief at how few people seem to share their opinion.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@RockmanBionics: Yeah, I think it's just my fault for taking these kinds of expressions literally. I've gotta stop delving into semantics so much.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By cstrang

I usually try to play through a game at least twice. The only game I've purchased this year that that isn't true for is L.A. Noire (though that's due to a lack of time, not necessarily a lack of wanting).

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By imsh_pl

I'm with ya.

After I finish a game I feel like the next playthrough is just gonna be stripped entirely of the story aspect; the game becomes too predictible, no matter how many decisions you can make.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Nux

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Kjellm87

I replay my favorite games a lot, I can beat "Diddy's Kong Quest" 102% in 2:45 even today, yikes.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sooty

Finished Dead Space 2, 3 times including a hardcore run. 

In hindsight I wish I never bothered, if I just finished it once I could have traded it in for way more money, the value plummeted within a week.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SeanFoster

I don't playthrough many games more than once. I did more when I was younger, but I buy too many games now that I'm always moving onto the next one. I played through Batman: Arkham Asylum a couple of times though. Some games that features co-op play often get a solo and group playthrough from me too, for example I played through Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 by myself and with some pals.

themangalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By themangalist

It's alright, I'm like you too. Unless the game is genuinely fun and satisfying to play, i'll replay the levels over and over again. But otherwise, i move on to find new experiences when i feel like i've seen enough.