#1 Edited by Aegon (5117 posts) -

I've only ever owned two Battlefield games. Bad Company 2 (enjoyed the multiplayer greatly) and Battlefield 3 (via recent Humble Bundle), which I'll be playing more of before coming to a final conclusion. One thing that I've noticed though, is that the music in Bad Company 2 was much better. Does anyone else notice these things when it comes to FPS games? It's usually something people care more about in RPGs and action adventure games for some reason, or at least, that's what it seems like to me. Check out the multiplayer loading music in BC2. It's grande and epic. It pumps you up. The one for BF3 multiplayer is just kind of...eh, an afterthought really. This, however, makes you wanna play some Battlefield:

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34613 posts) -

I'll just play other video game music for FPSes. For instance, I played FEAR 2 to this.

#3 Edited by Hailinel (22712 posts) -

Music in FPS games should be appropriate to the individual games, stages, and events. A great soundtrack can enhance any game, and there are some classic FPS soundtracks, with the one for GoldenEye ranking among my personal favorites.

#4 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

i'm going to generalise here, but i'd say modern FPSes don't really have that many quiet, contemplative moments- which is where one usually notices the music the most. that's not to say these moments don't exist ENTIRELY in FPSes- but i think the M.O. is generally "MAKE IT MORE EPIC, BRO" as opposed to something ambient and intricate.

i should also note my personal bias- i'm waaay over sweeping symphonic scores. your themes and leitmotifs better be solid gold if i'm going to take notice.

#5 Edited by Spoonman671 (4374 posts) -

I don't think about music in a first-person shooter any differently than I do music in any other genre.

Also, it's worth noting that the music in Battlefield games has been going down since the first Bad Company.

EDIT: Apologies to Battlefield 1943 for that comment.

#6 Edited by TheHT (10286 posts) -

I care only when it's really good or really bad. When it's middling, I don't pay much mind to it. It's kinda like textures or some other basic thing at that point. Do you have it? Is it fucked up? Alright, whatever.

Borderlands 2 is the most recent FPS I've played where the music has made me stop and think "holy shit, this is some good fuckin music!" and it definitely made the game more exciting at times. Hearing that Glacial song in the beginning just made you feel like a badass even though you're shooting ordinary bandits with that lame starter pistol.

Can't remember any that are bad though, and it would have to be something really annoying for me to consider it bad. That could mean the music itself and/or its use is displeasing. At best music enhaces the experience, at worst it distracts, and the in-between usually just ineffectively plays in the background.

And that really stands for all genres.

#7 Edited by Elwoodan (672 posts) -

The early battlefield themes (specifically 1942 and 2) were great, mostly I think the constant attention you need to pay in an FPS means you don't have much brainpower left to notice the music, Black Ops 1+2 both had solid soundtracks, and the Ace Combat games (while more plane-FPS than dude-FPS) have stellar soundtracks.

#8 Edited by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -

I'm just going to leave this here:

#9 Posted by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -
#10 Posted by Royce_McCutcheon (177 posts) -

I loved the Metroid Prime soundtrack.

#11 Edited by believer258 (11046 posts) -

Borderlands 2, Battlefield Bad Company 1 and 1943, Doom, and Halo have all been first person shooters whose music I have stopped and listened to. If you count Metroid Prime as a first person shooter (which I don't, it's quite far removed from shooters), then its soundtrack is pretty damn good as well. Especially Phendrana Drifts.

I'm sure there's more, but most first person shooters just have kinda meh music.

@video_game_king said:

I'll just play other video game music for FPSes. For instance, I played FEAR 2 to this.

I don't even recall any of the music in the first two FEAR games, or even if they actually had much music at all, and I've completed all three of them at least three times. Hey, I like lonely atmospheric shooters, and the first two FEAR games are pretty damn good ones! (and FEAR 3 is a good podcast game if nothing else). Most of those games are pretty quiet.

EDIT: Oh, yeah! The Doom 3 title screen cheesy metal is bad but in a really good cheesy metal kind of way, if you get what I mean.

#12 Edited by Spoonman671 (4374 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Borderlands 2, Battlefield Bad Company 1 and 1943, Doom, and Halo have all been first person shooters whose music I have stopped and listened to. If you count Metroid Prime as a first person shooter (which I don't, it's quite far removed from shooters), then its soundtrack is pretty damn good as well. Especially Phendrana Drifts.

I'm sure there's more, but most first person shooters just have kinda meh music.

@video_game_king said:

I don't even recall any of the music in the first two FEAR games, or even if they actually had much music at all, and I've completed all three of them at least three times. Hey, I like lonely atmospheric shooters, and the first two FEAR games are pretty damn good ones! (and FEAR 3 is a good podcast game if nothing else). Most of those games are pretty quiet.

EDIT: Oh, yeah! The Doom 3 title screen cheesy metal is bad but in a really good cheesy metal kind of way, if you get what I mean.

The FEAR games have a lot of droning ambient music, most of which isn't terribly memorable. There is this though.

#13 Edited by bigjeffrey (4162 posts) -

HALO 3: ODST

Without that Music, FUCK THAT.

#14 Edited by Genfuyung (198 posts) -

I haven't listened to video game sound in years. I always have a podcast playing.

#15 Edited by HurricaneIvan29 (301 posts) -

#16 Edited by weegieanawrench (1918 posts) -

A good soundtrack in any genre can enhance the game and some of my favourite music comes out of fps games. This one is just so chilling and nails the mood the game is going for:

And the majority of the music for Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is incredible. One of the best things about that game. Here, sit in this thread for an hour:

#17 Edited by mellotronrules (1170 posts) -

@weegieanawrench: props for dropping the deus ex soundtrack. the stellar soundtrack was a large part of my personal enjoyment of that game...i'm such an easy lay for ambient vangelis synth. i'll get it any way i can.

god, even the menu music was amazing. i knew they hit the right tone from that first piece.

#18 Edited by weegieanawrench (1918 posts) -

@mellotronrules: McCann does some good work for sure. I hope he has some input or composes music for the next game.

#19 Edited by Spoonman671 (4374 posts) -

Both the Resistance and Killzone series have very appropriate soundtracks. Resistance has a lot of somber, taps-esque military numbers that suits the 50's era army motif of the game.

While Killzone tracks sound like they were ripped straight from the mind of a militant dictator.

I loved some of the stuff in Metro: Last Light. You can easily imagine a humble guitarist in one of the populated metro stations playing the beginning and end of this song as you search for a place to spend your military-grade cartridges.

I think Far Cry 3 has an excellent tracked to smoke reefer to.

Faked you out!

#20 Edited by YOU_DIED (695 posts) -

I got a massive blast of nostalgia as I heard this after exiting the test chamber in Black Mesa:

#21 Posted by BeachThunder (11265 posts) -
#22 Edited by sins_of_mosin (1556 posts) -

I think the only time I really cared about the music in a game was Halo Reach. Generally I turn it off or lower it way down.

#23 Edited by Flacracker (1391 posts) -

I care about it if it is good such as in the Halo games. God I love the Halo music.

#24 Edited by Verendus (348 posts) -

When it's multiplayer, just catchy main theme is fine. (Battlefield for example)

Halo is one of the FPS games that actually has exceptional soundtrack.

But I'd say music in FPS games isn't as important as in RPG games for example.

#25 Edited by zenmastah (837 posts) -

One of the best soundtracks there is really.

#26 Posted by BaconGames (3134 posts) -

I immediately thought of this:

Music in any game can have the incredible job of truly pulling you down into the game's world and atmosphere. Fallout's radio did an expert job at this as well. In general since most shooters focus on action, the orchestral stuff can be boring but I'm always interested in appreciating a good soundtrack. In fact, I thought the original Bad Company soundtrack was a great fit for that game.

#27 Edited by Seppli (9743 posts) -

@spoonman671:

Battlefield Bad Company 1 was definitely the high point for the franchise, in terms of overall direction. It had a distinct sense of style, and everything in it was in service of fun. It's gotten overly serious since, and too many concessions have been made to make it more *authentic*, that are to the detriment of my enjoyment.

More ontopic. I care a lot about music in FPS games. My favorite ones are the Vietnam themed Battlefield spin-offs, namely BF:V and BF:BC 2 Vietnam. Why? Because there's flippin' awesome music playing on the on-board radio of the vehicles.

If only Battlefield 4 would have contemporary music playing in the vehicles, that'd be a testament to fun I could get behind. Licensed music is a huge part why I love Need for Speed games for example, so I really don't get how having a licensend soundtrack isn't more of a thing - especially in Battlefield, since there's a perfect avenue to deliver said music via on-board radio. Nothing quite like blasting fools to kingdom come with my Huey while listening to Fortunate Son.

#28 Posted by Yummylee (20582 posts) -
@theht said:

Borderlands 2 is the most recent FPS I've played where the music has made me stop and think "holy shit, this is some good fuckin music!" and it definitely made the game more exciting at times. Hearing that Glacial song in the beginning just made you feel like a badass even though you're shooting ordinary bandits with that lame starter pistol.

Absotively!

#29 Posted by isomeri (1172 posts) -

Of course I care. Well when playing multiplayer not so much but games like Half-Life, Halo and Bioshock just would not be the same without the music. Like @bigjeffrey said ODST had a lot of great music, but I still think that some of the stuff in Combat Evolved and Halo 2 was in the same league of videogame anthems as something like the Mario theme.

#30 Posted by GunstarRed (4731 posts) -

I care a lot.

#31 Posted by SunBroZak (839 posts) -

Need I remind you who helped with Crysis 2's soundtrack?

#32 Posted by Schmollian (248 posts) -

Mmmmm what about the greatest soundtrack to ever grace a multi-player focused first person shooter?

Yes

#33 Posted by Spoonman671 (4374 posts) -

@seppli: I absolutely agree about Battlefield: Bad Company. I don't think any Battlefield game has been as well balanced as that game was.

#34 Posted by schreiberty (189 posts) -

i liked the music in halo 1, other than that i cant even think of another fps' music.

Oh, Doom 1 & 2 with there fake electric guitar jams

#35 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

Soundtrack is easily one of the most important things for me in any game, FPS games are no exception. A good soundtrack makes bad things enjoyable and enjoyable things amazing.

#36 Edited by jeanespinosa21 (83 posts) -

Honestly i dont play much COD but every time i hear their soundtrack i get pumped mostly because it's eminem though but still that song survivor they played at the reveal was amazing