Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By rollingzeppelin

I don't know how much you guys notice, but music is one of the biggest contributors to a game's atmosphere and I'd just like to acknowledge the way music influences the gaming experience. For example, the music in Fable 2 is easily one of my favorite aspects of the game and without it I doubt I would even like the game. It's pretty late in the morning here so i might elaborate more on this later, just had an impulse to post what i was currently thinking. 

What about you guys? Do any games come to mind when you think of sweet music in games? Do you even notice the music when you play?

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By RankRabbit

For most games, yes, right now I'm finally getting around to playing Little Big Planet and love the music they chose to put into the game. The only time I haven't liked the music is when I'm playing an EA game with EA Trax.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Mass Effect 2's score is the best I've heard in a game in a long while.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had one of the best original music from a non-gaming composer.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

I think so, too. It always seems strange to me when I hear about people muting the music and playing rock music or whatever in the background. Talk about ruining the mood.

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

When you're talking about video game music, it's really hard not to talk about Castlevania.  I don't think that modern game's soundtracks have as much impact as stuff from the 8-bit and 16-bit generations did (not including Katamari Damacy of course, the music it that is beyond words).  

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#7  Edited By armaan8014
@RollingZeppelin:  YES! Music in games is one of the most important aspects for me..
After I finish a game I usually go and get the soundtrack for the game if I liked it.
My favourite soundtracks would have to be Fable:TLC, The Witcher, Oblivion.. and some I can't remember..
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@armaan8014:   If you liked the Oblivion soundtrack I highly suggest checking out the Morrowind soundtrack. Morrowind's soundtrack is one of my favorite of any game's ever! Listening to Peaceful Waters brings me right back to the moment when I stepped off that boat into Seyda Neen, which is an extremely nostalgic moment for me in gaming, where I discoverd my love of Western RPG's. The main theme is just way more epic than Oblivions IMO, so ya check it out!! 

@Sir_Ragnarok:  My buddy has been playing Mass Effect 2 recently, I can't until reading week cause engineering is ridiculously work heavy, but sometimes I hear the score just belting out this amazing and beautiful music and I literally have to stop what I'm doing and listen to it ha ha! Can't wait to play that game!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RollingZeppelin: 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think the most obvious example is Ocarina of Time. But there, I brought it up anyways. I love that games music.

rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@Sir_Ragnarok: Pure epicness ha ha, I love it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@RollingZeppelin said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok: Pure epicness ha ha, I love it. "
It's incredible, yeah.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Sir_Ragnarok said:
" @RollingZeppelin said:
" @Sir_Ragnarok: Pure epicness ha ha, I love it. "
It's incredible, yeah. "
Also, I'm pretty sure the entire score is up on Youtube. You just need to be leery of the comments, because there are spoilers abound there.
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@Sir_Ragnarok: Cool I'll check it out for sure.
Alex_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Alex_V

I cannot listen to game music without the game, because that's what the function of the music is - to complement a game, either in tone or style, or to directly to accompany the action. To listen to it alone for pleasure seems kind of perverse to me.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By Cirdain
SlowHands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By SlowHands
@ThePhantomnaut said:

" Splinter Cell Chaos Theory had one of the best original music from a non-gaming composer. "

I couldn't agree with you more.  I feel like a lot of people here don't realise how good Amon Tobin actually is. 

@Alex_V said:
" I cannot listen to game music without the game, because that's what the function of the music is - to complement a game, either in tone or style, or to directly to accompany the action. To listen to it alone for pleasure seems kind of perverse to me. "
I know what you mean.  But, to take Chaos Theory as an example, when the soundtrack is rearranged specifically to be on a disc things become more interesting.  The Chaos Theory OST is fascinating because it still evokes the tension and general mood of the game but is enough of its own thing for me to be able to listen to without playing the game. 

Sorry, that was a bit garbled.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Halo.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By NTM
@RollingZeppelin:
I bet you think a lot of people don't pay enough attention to games, nor movies at that, to hear the music. Well, maybe you're right. I sometimes feel that way, anyways. Yes, I pay attention to music in games, and I agree 100 percent about the fact it contributes to the atmosphere. I don't want to play a game like Dead Space and hear a song like the theme of Super Mario. I often listen to music from games and I always notice it. It makes a game intense, sad, happy, ect. I do the same as well, I either buy or download the soundtracks of certain games if I like it. I don't think I can name a favorite. I've really been into the Dead Space soundtrack though, it kinda makes you feel like you're running from something and you're trying to escape as you're injured. Sometimes I get bummed out or bored if a game doesn't have a good soundtrack. I don't know, I can go on and on about soundtracks. I think a lot of people prefer epic scores, which is always good. 

This is a relaxing song. I was just thinking about it, I haven't heard it in a long time.
rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By rollingzeppelin
@NTM:  I don't really know what the main gaming public thinks in terms of music in games but ya, it does seem that in a lot of reviews, the music in games get overlooked. I think good composers like Amon Tobin or Jeremy Soule deserve alot more attention and credit than they are given. 

Also, that song is SUPER mello, nice. I remember the monk's song in that game was stuck in my head for weeks after i heard it.
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By armaan8014
@RollingZeppelin: Great! I'll try it!
Plus you should check out the Fable : TLC soundtrack.. I really love it for some reason..
DJL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DJL

I love video game music! 

Paper Mario, Final Fantasy, Castlevania, megaman(X), Legend of Zelda, Super Metroid, No More Heroes.....the list goes on...

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Hourai

Yeah, music is probably the most important thing to a game in my opinion. Great music can do so damn much for a game. 

Recently I find Mass Effect 2 to be pretty epic with surround sound and the music volume cranked up. 

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By meteora

Music is a very important aspect for me if I wanted to be immersed in a atmosphere, or affected in some way. Unfortunately many developers and gamers tend to push aside in the sound/music department in favour over graphics.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By thatfrood

keep your pimp hand strong, my friends.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By ajamafalous

Castlevania, Faxanadu, Megaman, some of the old Final Fantasys, the old Sonics, pretty much any Kirby game, Majora's Mask, Fable, Diablo II, and World of Warcraft all come to mind as having soundtracks I enjoy.

I'm sure there are more I can't think of right now.

Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Ramyun

Would end of credits music count? If so, then The Late Goodbye in Max Payne 2. Too perfect.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By thatfrood
@Cirdain said:

"Morrowind's music = Epic "

@RollingZeppelin said:

If you liked the Oblivion soundtrack I highly suggest checking out the Morrowind soundtrack. Morrowind's soundtrack is one of my favorite of any game's ever! Listening to Peaceful Waters brings me right back to the moment when I stepped off that boat into Seyda Neen, which is an extremely nostalgic moment for me in gaming, where I discoverd my love of Western RPG's. The main theme is just way more epic than Oblivions IMO, so ya check it out!!  

FUCKING CLIFFRACERS. 
That's what I think WHENVER I hear that music. 
GODDAMN those fucking pterodactyls!!!
eldiax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By eldiax

I found myself often returning to Guild Wars solely because of the music.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#30  Edited By Hourai

@ThatFrood:

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By thatfrood

@Hourai:
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUCK

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Castro

Mega Man 2 and Contra for me. There's Katamari Damacy and Ouendan as well, but I'm not really sure that those count as Ouendan is a music game and a lost of the music for Katamari Damacy wasn't probably created specifically for that game. I might be wrong on that second point though.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I love music in games.  LOVE IT.  My love affair with music started in games, going all the way back to the C64 and Martin Galways' amazing title theme to Sensible Software's Wizball.

Recently an incredibly talented musician named Reyn Ouwenhand did a live reinterpretation of that epic piece and it's glorious!

The original Martin Galway piece in all its 4 channel mono glory.

Reyn's brilliant interpretation.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ryax

i really loved mass effect 1's sound track

mrmanga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mrmanga

Well to be honest most games ive played recently have music i dont care much about. Il use Witcher as my example this time. The music it has fits the Enviement and the settings most of the time but its also very dull, when i played i played it on Mute and heard an audiobook in the backround :P  
The most enjoyment ive had with games and its music are probebly RPG games. Mentioning Final Fantasy x, Eternal Sonata and Tales of Symphonia. 
Other then that i also really like the music in Tetris :D 
But then again games without good music/sound are rarely on my playlist since they bore me. Not to say that games cant be good without good music but it gives it  an overall better experience.  Sorry for big post.