My 1st non-Arcade S-Rank & some observations on it and Alan Wake.

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Edited By smokemare

Well, I've just scooped 1000 points on The Saboteur, a very underrated game in my opinion.  Yes it's a little clunky in places - but the stealth elements and explosives make it so much more interesting to play than your average Sand box em' up.  The last two achievements I got were 'Cassanova' and 'Not on my watch' the first of which involves kissing a particular number of girls to escape the alarm.  Now normally it's a bit of a pain to do this during the game, they are almost all at street level and often disabled because you are seen.  There is a trick I discovered and wrote about in my guide which makes it far quicker and easier.  The other one involves saving citizens from the Nazi's.  Because I've liberated all of France, the soldiers you see knocking about generally behave themselves and don't start threatening to kill people - so it's been a case of popping over to Saarbrocken Germany, and following soldiers around until they tried to shoot someone.  A bit choresome...

The big thing that hits you in Saboteur after you finish the story is the vast number of dots on the map for you to clear, it was a bit daunting, but once I'd cleared two of the Paris area's I actually found it quite fun and engaging to plan my targets - and take them out.  I don't think I'll touch Saboteur for a while now, but I'll miss it.  It's a great evironment to interract with - and some of the digital architecture is quite fantastic - high diving off the top of the Eiffel Tower is hilarious.  If you see it used for a tenner - have a punt, It's great fun!

I picked up a brand new copy of Alan Wake the other day for £15 and I thought I'd boot it up and see what it was like afterwards.  I've only just got to Brightwater in the game, but so far I'm really enjoying it - the atmosphere and the story-telling are great.  Okay some of the lip-synching is off and some of the voice acting is not amazing but it's very very playable.  It reminds me of the first time I played Resident Evil on the PS1, it reminds me of Stephen King novels... I can't wait to get stuck into it.

Not much to report beyond that - as it happens I've started 2011 without TFU2 and Fable 3, I do have Fifa 11, and it's great - but my post 10pm gaming sessions are going to be ALan Wake for now I think, Fifa 11 is brilliant, but you can't really get absorbed in the story in the same way.

smokemare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By smokemare

Well, I've just scooped 1000 points on The Saboteur, a very underrated game in my opinion.  Yes it's a little clunky in places - but the stealth elements and explosives make it so much more interesting to play than your average Sand box em' up.  The last two achievements I got were 'Cassanova' and 'Not on my watch' the first of which involves kissing a particular number of girls to escape the alarm.  Now normally it's a bit of a pain to do this during the game, they are almost all at street level and often disabled because you are seen.  There is a trick I discovered and wrote about in my guide which makes it far quicker and easier.  The other one involves saving citizens from the Nazi's.  Because I've liberated all of France, the soldiers you see knocking about generally behave themselves and don't start threatening to kill people - so it's been a case of popping over to Saarbrocken Germany, and following soldiers around until they tried to shoot someone.  A bit choresome...

The big thing that hits you in Saboteur after you finish the story is the vast number of dots on the map for you to clear, it was a bit daunting, but once I'd cleared two of the Paris area's I actually found it quite fun and engaging to plan my targets - and take them out.  I don't think I'll touch Saboteur for a while now, but I'll miss it.  It's a great evironment to interract with - and some of the digital architecture is quite fantastic - high diving off the top of the Eiffel Tower is hilarious.  If you see it used for a tenner - have a punt, It's great fun!

I picked up a brand new copy of Alan Wake the other day for £15 and I thought I'd boot it up and see what it was like afterwards.  I've only just got to Brightwater in the game, but so far I'm really enjoying it - the atmosphere and the story-telling are great.  Okay some of the lip-synching is off and some of the voice acting is not amazing but it's very very playable.  It reminds me of the first time I played Resident Evil on the PS1, it reminds me of Stephen King novels... I can't wait to get stuck into it.

Not much to report beyond that - as it happens I've started 2011 without TFU2 and Fable 3, I do have Fifa 11, and it's great - but my post 10pm gaming sessions are going to be ALan Wake for now I think, Fifa 11 is brilliant, but you can't really get absorbed in the story in the same way.

themartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By themartyr

Alan Wake is one I hope to try out at some point this year.

I'm really pleased that you liked The Saboteur. I believe it will come to be a missed gem of the Xbox. It is just so much fun, and as someone who lived in Paris for a bit, it's not all that far off. Each area of the city kind of gets the gist right, haha, and it's great fun even just wandering about places like Pere Lachaise cemetary.

I second OP's recommendation to buy this game.

silencdogood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By silencdogood

Agreed on all accounts. I really enjoyed The Saboteur

Vinny was recently saying on the Bombcast that he was about to play it. Not sure if he ever did, but I was hoping he would come back to the Bombcast and talk about how much fun it was and as themartyr said above, claim it as a missed gem.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

I enjoyed the Saboteur, but god damn was it kind of painful to play in proximity to Assassin's Creed or Uncharted. The platforming left something to be desired.