My 360 has just packed in so, should i buy Red alert 3 or Dawn of war 2? Played both the betas and liked them. Advice would be nice.

doctorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By doctorchin
doctorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By doctorchin

Reffering to PC versions by the way, there is a red alert expansion out soon which might be cool; i think it's stand alone. Or maybe i should buy both one after the other.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By delta_ass

Dawn of War 2 is a really great RTS. Cool RPG elements adds to a rather innovative single player campaign. Also has online co-op.

Red Alert 3 is an atrocious piece of shit. Terrible graphics, terrible units, and terribly zoomed in camera. Only enjoyable aspect are the humorous cutscenes.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By scroll

Hang on hang on. No need to be so harsh, it's a fine enough RTS but it isn't all that different from games in the genre.

DoW2 on the other hand is hardly an RTS in most respects, it's a very interesting game to say the least but it does lack some content, only one campaign and a few multiplayer maps.
Also the AI isn't the best if you don't intend to play online.

Or you could get Supreme commander Forged Alliance, I know you have the original right? The expansion adds a bunch of tasty treats.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By delta_ass

Dawn of War 2 is an RTS without base building, which isn't that unusual. I mean, would you say that MechCommander 1/2 aren't RTSs?

As far as its campaign, it's got a rather open-ended one that helps to provide some variety. I know I must've spent something like 15+ hours on it, just because I chose to do some grinding on optional missions before taking the final encounter.

And they just released a patch yesterday that improved the skirmish AI.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By scroll

I didn't say it wasn't but it does offer something very different from RA3 so it's worth mentioning.

Still the AI is very basic but if he's considering going online with it then it's considerably much more fun.

doctorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By doctorchin

I think online rts is always good, certainly multiplayer of some sort. I am tempted by the sup com gold edition now. Might get something similar for RA3 when it's expansion comes out.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By scroll

I hear the expansion for RA3 is abit rubbish, I'd probably go for sup com now and get DoW2 when it's cheaper if you're on a budget.

doctorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By doctorchin

Ok cool, thankyou for your help everyone; here is my plan.

I go get some lunch, bring it back, eat it watching peep show, i go hand some work in on the way into town and try to buy supreme commander gold edition for under £20 with my student card.

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By scroll

Good luck with that. You filthy student.

I'd definitely consider the other two in the future if I were you.

Avatar image for snoopeasystreet
snoopeasystreet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By snoopeasystreet

It really depends on what type of Strategy game you like. Red Alert 3 is a pretty old school RTS which focuses on building large armys. Dawn of War 2 is much more about unit strategy.

Personally, I'd say Dawn of War.
Seraphim2150

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Seraphim2150

Dawn of War 2 out of those two. Much better game

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Dawn of War II is amazing.  The campaign is completely unique and is a blast.  It also really captures the Warhammer 40k universe well if you are a fan at all.  Highly recommended.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By natetodamax

Longest topic title ever?