My 5 $10 game reviews

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I actually haven't finished any of them yet, but I've gotten done with most of it and with the racer I've played enough to get it.  Yea, that means I'm playing 5 games at a time right now.

Anyway, this is just a rundown.  Keep in mind, I bought these all for $10 each, so a 8 hour game is pretty dang worth it.  These games would be killed  $60 with the exception of PGR4 as they're all basically short (silent hill is about 12 hours i think?).  Not to say that I'm giving them slack, but I'm coping for a more movie like price.

anyway, I'll start with the two newegg ones:
PGR4 (racer)- I don't like racing games, I like this game.  Awesome graphics, tons of modes.  Not much to say about this except for the fact that it's a damn good sequel to PGR4, reminding me of PGR2.  The weather effects are great visually and as well as how they affect gameplay.
Dark Sector (shooter)-- solid shooter.  again, not too much too say.  There's a slight story, but it's more of an excuse for the gameplay.  Controlling the glaive is damn fun, especially the decapitation.  It's good, slightly different but still generic, but more or less just a solid shooter.

And my best buy ones:
Alone in the Dark (action-adventure)--- wow, did not expect this.  I thought the demo was garbage but I bought it because, well, it was only $10 and I thought some of the concepts in the demo were neat.  Little did I know that this demo was horrible in comparison to the game.  And yes, this part in the game is horrible as well.  However, once you escape that building, which is more or less completely a not very straightforward tutorial, the game becomes great.   This game has a great level of detail and there's so many unique things to do.  You can also combine things to make various stuff and you can also lay oil paths to set on fire, which you can always get more of from filling any container (can empty one by distributing the juices around) and then busting it from the cars.  The story is pretty damn interesting as well and it's set up like a tv series.  Seems like it was originally meant to be DD in seperate episodes (they have these seperated with credits at the end of each one in the game).   The controls aren't bad either, they work fine.  I dunno, but it plays so differently once you get to the park.  There is something  worth mentioning about the game--- it's buggy as hell at times.  I'ts not something that gets in the way, but when your driving especially you'll see this.  I was dirving a golf cart type vehicle and I randomly lauched very high into the air. 
--- Something you should understand, this is not a horror game.  It's more like a, well, tv series.  I want tos say something like Buffy, but not exactly.  Those type of late 90s action series though.

Bourne Conspiracy (action shooter)--- it's not a movie game but rather a game based on the book series.  That being said, I haven' exactly got much story, but on the other hand, if the books are like the movies, it's about the same on that.  It's a decent game, but not great.  I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not going to wow you.   This is the game I'm least far into, but while I have every intention of playing through it, I'm not crazy about it. It's fun, but it's, well, nothing special.

Silent Hill (adventure horror)--- I have not played a silent hill game before and to be honest, I didn't know what to expect.  I heard good things of the series and I always wanted to try it, but just never got to it.  Anyway, this game is different from most I have played.  It's more like an adventure game with the get red key to open red door (although it's more natural and more like canister to get oil) style of play.  To  be honest, this game really isn't scary.  There's some moments, but the truth is, the game is freaking disturbing.  I don't know how else to say it, it's freaking disturbing.  Such a well defined atmosphere.  Gosh, damn, it's creepy.  Again, I haven't finished it, but the story is damn interesting.

* I also have the following from the $10 deal days and will write impressions of each once I play enough: Pure, Soldier of Fortune: Payback, Turok, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
With the exception of Pure, I have never touched these games, mainly talking about their demos.  For Pure, it's another racing game, and I actually liked the demo.  Impressions for those in 1-2 weeks

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I actually haven't finished any of them yet, but I've gotten done with most of it and with the racer I've played enough to get it.  Yea, that means I'm playing 5 games at a time right now.

Anyway, this is just a rundown.  Keep in mind, I bought these all for $10 each, so a 8 hour game is pretty dang worth it.  These games would be killed  $60 with the exception of PGR4 as they're all basically short (silent hill is about 12 hours i think?).  Not to say that I'm giving them slack, but I'm coping for a more movie like price.

anyway, I'll start with the two newegg ones:
PGR4 (racer)- I don't like racing games, I like this game.  Awesome graphics, tons of modes.  Not much to say about this except for the fact that it's a damn good sequel to PGR4, reminding me of PGR2.  The weather effects are great visually and as well as how they affect gameplay.
Dark Sector (shooter)-- solid shooter.  again, not too much too say.  There's a slight story, but it's more of an excuse for the gameplay.  Controlling the glaive is damn fun, especially the decapitation.  It's good, slightly different but still generic, but more or less just a solid shooter.

And my best buy ones:
Alone in the Dark (action-adventure)--- wow, did not expect this.  I thought the demo was garbage but I bought it because, well, it was only $10 and I thought some of the concepts in the demo were neat.  Little did I know that this demo was horrible in comparison to the game.  And yes, this part in the game is horrible as well.  However, once you escape that building, which is more or less completely a not very straightforward tutorial, the game becomes great.   This game has a great level of detail and there's so many unique things to do.  You can also combine things to make various stuff and you can also lay oil paths to set on fire, which you can always get more of from filling any container (can empty one by distributing the juices around) and then busting it from the cars.  The story is pretty damn interesting as well and it's set up like a tv series.  Seems like it was originally meant to be DD in seperate episodes (they have these seperated with credits at the end of each one in the game).   The controls aren't bad either, they work fine.  I dunno, but it plays so differently once you get to the park.  There is something  worth mentioning about the game--- it's buggy as hell at times.  I'ts not something that gets in the way, but when your driving especially you'll see this.  I was dirving a golf cart type vehicle and I randomly lauched very high into the air. 
--- Something you should understand, this is not a horror game.  It's more like a, well, tv series.  I want tos say something like Buffy, but not exactly.  Those type of late 90s action series though.

Bourne Conspiracy (action shooter)--- it's not a movie game but rather a game based on the book series.  That being said, I haven' exactly got much story, but on the other hand, if the books are like the movies, it's about the same on that.  It's a decent game, but not great.  I'm not saying it's bad, it's just not going to wow you.   This is the game I'm least far into, but while I have every intention of playing through it, I'm not crazy about it. It's fun, but it's, well, nothing special.

Silent Hill (adventure horror)--- I have not played a silent hill game before and to be honest, I didn't know what to expect.  I heard good things of the series and I always wanted to try it, but just never got to it.  Anyway, this game is different from most I have played.  It's more like an adventure game with the get red key to open red door (although it's more natural and more like canister to get oil) style of play.  To  be honest, this game really isn't scary.  There's some moments, but the truth is, the game is freaking disturbing.  I don't know how else to say it, it's freaking disturbing.  Such a well defined atmosphere.  Gosh, damn, it's creepy.  Again, I haven't finished it, but the story is damn interesting.

* I also have the following from the $10 deal days and will write impressions of each once I play enough: Pure, Soldier of Fortune: Payback, Turok, Turning Point: Fall of Liberty
With the exception of Pure, I have never touched these games, mainly talking about their demos.  For Pure, it's another racing game, and I actually liked the demo.  Impressions for those in 1-2 weeks

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Godwind

I hate the fact that you use acronyms.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

i used 2!  jees.... DD and PGR4 (which is what is says on the cover followed by the full title below)

PGR has become a word in itself.  It's not like GT or saying WoTLK, it's basically it's own title. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Godwind
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Godwind said:
"LordAndrew said:
"Godwind said:
"I hate the fact that you use acronyms."
PGR4 is Project Gotham Racing 4, and I assume DD is digital distribution."
Neither would have registered with before hand."

Well, while I understand DD (i was just lazy to type it out) PGR4 is something a gamer should know.  Whenever the title of a game is written like this on the boxart, you really should be able to pick it up without having to think about it.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne
SmugDarkLoser said:
 Silent Hill (adventure horror)--- I have not played a silent hill game before and to be honest, I didn't know what to expect.
Which one?
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red

Still, you should always use the full game title before you use an acronym. 

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer
Red said:
"Still, you should always use the full game title before you use an acronym. "
This.

Of those three I have only played Bourne Conspiracy, and that was just "meh".  I have heard it is good with the achievements, but I played it on the PS3, so I guess double "meh".
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
SoulEdgeSlayer said:
"Red said:
"Still, you should always use the full game title before you use an acronym. "
This.Of those three I have only played Bourne Conspiracy, and that was just "meh".  I have heard it is good with the achievements, but I played it on the PS3, so I guess double "meh"."
It's okay,   Achievements give that push to play through the level even if your not super crazy about the game imo.
cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By cc23574

I thought that Alone in the dark sucked donkey balls because of it controls....
But The Bourne Conspiracy was awesome thanks to its combat system 

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Why did the controls bother you so much?  Did you play the full game into at least a bit into Central Park? 
I did think that it sucked ass in the building though.  I just could not do anything.  It felt so broken there.

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By cc23574
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Why did the controls bother you so much?  Did you play the full game into at least a bit into Central Park?  I did think that it sucked ass in the building though.  I just could not do anything.  It felt so broken there. "
I did complete the whole Central Park chapter, but after that I was in a building, the controls annoyed me so much that I couldn't even complete the game. A shame really because the concept was really awesome.
rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By rinkalicous

You guys (EDIT: actually, reading back, it's just one of you, but the point still stands) are being too harsh. Seriously, you don't know what PGR4 is? Like Smug said, it's basically become it's own word now, much like GTA has. If this was a super professional review, yes, he should have stated the full name beforehand, but as it stands it's just his two cents on these games, so using PGR4 isn't the end of the world.

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed by all the hate Smug receives. If it was anyone else, I'd wager you'd let it pass.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Rinkalicous said:
"You guys (EDIT: actually, reading back, it's just one of you, but the point still stands) are being too harsh. Seriously, you don't know what PGR4 is? Like Smug said, it's basically become it's own word now, much like GTA has. If this was a super professional review, yes, he should have stated the full name beforehand, but as it stands it's just his two cents on these games, so using PGR4 isn't the end of the world.

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed by all the hate Smug receives. If it was anyone else, I'd wager you'd let it pass.
"
Ah, I think it has to do more with the fact that some people use acronyms to much.  WoW: RotLK was where I snapped on the issue.

cc23574 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
"Why did the controls bother you so much?  Did you play the full game into at least a bit into Central Park?  I did think that it sucked ass in the building though.  I just could not do anything.  It felt so broken there. "
I did complete the whole Central Park chapter, but after that I was in a building, the controls annoyed me so much that I couldn't even complete the game. A shame really because the concept was really awesome."
That sucks.   Just wondering which central park chapter though, since the majority of the game is in it.  Kind of a shame.  Perhaps you should try it again?  I personally almost put down the game in the building but I went forward for the hell of it.
The parking garage was probably the worst experience I've had though (in the building).  You can't outrun that thing.  Weird though, later in the game you run into those again but you actually have tools to escape it and you really can dodge him later on. 

Maybe you should fast foward to another episode even?

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By TwoOneFive

oh i cant believe you actually paid anything for turning point. 

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By cc23574
SmugDarkLoser said:
"Rinkalicous said:
"You guys (EDIT: actually, reading back, it's just one of you, but the point still stands) are being too harsh. Seriously, you don't know what PGR4 is? Like Smug said, it's basically become it's own word now, much like GTA has. If this was a super professional review, yes, he should have stated the full name beforehand, but as it stands it's just his two cents on these games, so using PGR4 isn't the end of the world.

"
Ah, I think it has to do more with the fact that some people use acronyms to much.  WoW: RotLK was where I snapped on the issue.

cc23574 said:
"SmugDarkLoser said:
I did complete the whole Central Park chapter, but after that I was in a building, the controls annoyed me so much that I couldn't even complete the game. A shame really because the concept was really awesome."
That sucks.   Just wondering which central park chapter though, since the majority of the game is in it.  Kind of a shame.  Perhaps you should try it again?  I personally almost put down the game in the building but I went forward for the hell of it.The parking garage was probably the worst experience I've had though (in the building).  You can't outrun that thing.  Weird though, later in the game you run into those again but you actually have tools to escape it and you really can dodge him later on.  Maybe you should fast foward to another episode even? "

I did and than I came to this part where bats were on my car, but I don't like the car segments so I tried another chapter, this time there was this creature wo is in the walls and such and keeps killing me. After that I gave up on the game.
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hitchenson

Would you say Silent Hill is worth getting? I know it's not exactly had good reviews, but eh... I don't really mind, and I want a new cheap game to keep me occupied.

And to the people who don't know what PGR4 means... wow, just wow. And if you do know and moaned, get a life.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By RHCPfan24

I have played some of the Bourne Conspiracy and, Smug, spend a bit more time on it. It is actually sort of sweet. For $10 at least. And i have yet play Silent Hill: Homecoming but I got it and it should be good. And, seriously, guys, you should know what PGR4 is.

Avatar image for giantwhitewhale
giantwhitewhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By giantwhitewhale

Why is there a topic about this? Just because the games were 10 dollars doesn't mean they don't have user review sections on their pages! 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#22  Edited By LordAndrew

Reviews are not for first impressions. That's what these are, so it's fine as a blog/forum thread.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
giantwhitewhale said:
"Why is there a topic about this? Just because the games were 10 dollars doesn't mean they don't have user review sections on their pages!  "

it's not really a review, but more of impressions.  I used review as in a review over content, not a review as what we know on gaming sites.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crunchUK

PGR (and the dreamcast MSR) is one of the greatest racing series ever. It combines realism with arcade to give the depth of simulation with the fun and excitement of arcade racers. It's fallen a bit since PGR2 (undisputedly the best game in the series). While i think it has definitely improved since then it just stuck a bit too much to the original formula and ended up catering just to the original fans. Most of which look back on the glory days of PGR2 anyway...

I had all platinums on PGR2. Somehting i am immensely proud of and possibly the greatest gaming feat i have ever accomplished. And i believe Bizarre is working on a new racer (not PGR) and that the license for pgr5 was offered to turn 10 (the forza devs).